***The Official UCSF Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Rejected from UCSF. Wish UCSF would do better a job of selecting interviewers that are a little more sociable and can speak English better. Oh well.

Good luck to the rest of you. My rejection was sent a couple of mins ago. I was instate, btw.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and result man. Keep your head up, good news will come !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted - my spot is almost nearing the triple digits :yeahright:, so I will be declining.

Best of luck to everyone!

Dang, I must be doing something really wrong during interviews.

Rejected. Alright, Harvard, you can take me off your waitlist now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the encouragement! They went all the way to #70 for your class...?
During my interview(1/23), they mentioned that only a little less than half of the class size was filled. So...I'm just confused about how this "waitlist" thing work...

Yes, as in someone who was #70ish on the waitlist was accepted. They give out 120 acceptances for 88 spots between now and December 2nd. But of those 120 people, only 50ish will end up going to UCSF. Many people will later get accepted to other programs and withdraw their acceptance. So they start to pull of the waitlist in numbered order until they fill all the spots. Once you get to May, you are only allowed to have ONE deposit down on a school so people who have deposits at UCSF but no longer want to go there will be forced to withdraw. This makes the waitlist move much faster. I was given 3 days to respond to their acceptance and a week to get the deposit in. I believe you get more time in February/March than you do in May. This also speeds up the process. Hope this answered your question.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, as in someone who was #70ish on the waitlist was accepted. They give out 120 acceptances for 88 spots between now and December 2nd. But of those 120 people, only 50ish will end up going to UCSF. Many people will later get accepted to other programs and withdraw their acceptance. So they start to pull of the waitlist in numbered order until they fill all the spots. Once you get to May, you are only allowed to have ONE deposit down on a school so people who have deposits at UCSF but no longer want to go there will be forced to withdraw. This makes the waitlist move much faster. I was given 3 days to respond to their acceptance and a week to get the deposit in. I believe you get more time in February/March than you do in May. This also speeds up the process. Hope this answered your question.

I really appreciate your response. <3
It sucks knowing that we have to wait a little more now, but it's better than not knowing anything at all.
Good luck to everybody. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.

Yes! It's so hopeful to hear someone who was in similar situation before. Thank you! I guess we'll just have to wait patiently. You mentioned that we are only allowed to have 1 deposit made to a school...so does that mean if I don't hear back from UCSF by end of April, I won't have a chance ( because I already made a deposit to another school in early Jan)?

Thanks again for all your replies! ;)

Yes! It's so hopeful to hear someone who was in similar situation before. Thank you! I guess we'll just have to wait patiently. You mentioned that we are only allowed to have 1 deposit made to a school...so does that mean if I don't hear back from UCSF by end of April, I won't have a chance ( because I already made a deposit to another school in early Jan)?

Thanks again for all your replies! ;)

Good question! The waitlist will continue after April regardless of deposits. You just won't be allowed to have more than one deposit. So if you have a deposit at UNLV but you are still holding out for UCSF then nothing will change. But if you have a deposit at UNLV and ASDOH and are holding out for UCSF you will be contacted by AADSAS to choose one.

Also, once you get your UCSF stuff confirmed and your deposit received, please contact your other school and withdraw sooner than later. Chances are there is someone just like you who is waiting on that school. And if you wait for AADSAS to make you withdraw it could take a week or two or three. Just common courtesy :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good question! The waitlist will continue after April regardless of deposits. You just won't be allowed to have more than one deposit. So if you have a deposit at UNLV but you are still holding out for UCSF then nothing will change. But if you have a deposit at UNLV and ASDOH and are holding out for UCSF you will be contacted by AADSAS to choose one.

Also, once you get your UCSF stuff confirmed and your deposit received, please contact your other school and withdraw sooner than later. Chances are there is someone just like you who is waiting on that school. And if you wait for AADSAS to make you withdraw it could take a week or two or three. Just common courtesy :)
Thank you so much! That cleared out all my questions ;) Good luck with D2!

Dang, I must be doing something really wrong during interviews.

Rejected. Alright, Harvard, you can take me off your waitlist now.

I think the fact that you're on Harvard waitlist means you are at definitely an adequate interviewer. You also got accepted into Temple, which means you must have made a pretty good impression in the short video they make you do. They are big on personality, I heard. So I think you're good.

I feel like UCSF needs to do a better job in picking interviewers. Mine did not speak English well and went way overboard into public policy regarding dentistry. He was a residency director but didn't seem to comprehend that there is a vast difference in the knowledge about dentistry between a pre-dent and an already graduated dental student. I talked to some other ppl who interviewed at UCSF (and some who were accepted) and they agreed that it wasn't the best interview, so don't worry man. I think you'll get into Columbia or UPenn. Best of luck!

Question: Out of curiosity, how are ranks on the wait list calculated? Can sending letters of intent/etc help one move up in the ranks, or is moving up simply a matter of others on the wait list dropping out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Out of curiosity, how are ranks on the wait list calculated? Can sending letters of intent/etc help one move up in the ranks, or is moving up simply a matter of others on the wait list dropping out?
I am almost positive that sending letters of intent will not help you move up quicker. At least not at a school like UCSF where they give you a clear position on the waitlist. Other schools where they don't give you your waitlist number, it might be possible (although it's probably still unlikely) because at least they would be doing it behind the scenes. But not when all the numbers are released to the public

Nope. You are ranked and it goes in that order. No letters or anything will change that ranking unfortunately.

Hopefully we moved up 15 spots

Just to not give my exact number I will put a range. I am a number in between 5-10 and did not move up any spots.

40+ ppl from waitlist got in last year? what's going on this year??

40+ ppl from waitlist got in last year? what's going on this year??

It's still early. People that are on waitlists somewhere else may be holding seats at UCSF. When some of those waitlisted people get in, these spots will open up.

Don't lose hope everyone!! Background checks and other papers are still processing and the policy for grades is "no lower than a B-" . There are a lot of people sitting on multiple deposits and as it gets closer to April 1 I'm sure spots will move:)

Reactions: 2 users
Don't lose hope everyone!! Background checks and other papers are still processing and the policy for grades is "no lower than a B-" . There are a lot of people sitting on multiple deposits and as it gets closer to April 1 I'm sure spots will move:)
I thought it was C?

That's what most schools set the cut off at but at UCSF you are required to report a "C" and you will be up for review; in order to continue with matriculation seamlessly you must get a B- or greater.

That's what most schools set the cut off at but at UCSF you are required to report a "C" and you will be up for review; in order to continue with matriculation seamlessly you must get a B- or greater.
What happens during the review? Another interview?

What happens during the review? Another interview?

During the review, they look over your file again and decide if what you did is worth the trouble of rescinding your offer. Apparently getting lower than a B- is NOT the end of the world. They'll make you write a letter to the admissions committee explaining why you got that grade though.

During the review, they look over your file again and decide if what you did is worth the trouble of rescinding your offer. Apparently getting lower than a B- is NOT the end of the world. They'll make you write a letter to the admissions committee explaining why you got that grade though.
That's quite interesting. Thanks for the info.

this is only for recent grades, correct? as in fall 2013/spring 2014. they wouldn't put you under review for past grades seeing as they already factored that into your decision?

I also unearthed a random city college grade for a non-relevant class that I took 5 years ago. It was a C and I didn't let them know previously. They don't care.

Hi everyone, I was on the waitlist and got an official acceptance call today, just wanted to give you guys a heads up.....good luck to all of you! I know I refreshed this page like 15 times a day for a waitlist update, so I wanted to share the good news. Good luck again and God bless. =)

Hi everyone, I was on the waitlist and got an official acceptance call today, just wanted to give you guys a heads up.....good luck to all of you! I know I refreshed this page like 15 times a day for a waitlist update, so I wanted to share the good news. Good luck again and God bless. =)

Congrats!! Looks like hope is not lost after all.

Mind if we could get an idea of what your number on the wait list was? (Feel free to give us a range if you are not comfortable)

I was also accepted today off the wait list. My number was 5-10

Reactions: 1 user
Seeing movement so early! How exciting! Congrats to waitlisters who got in.

Has anyone else from the wait list heard back? I know we have an update email coming on Monday, but Im curious.

Also, isn't April the time when students are no longer allowed to hold multiple deposits? Should we expect to see more dramatic movement then?

How far down the list do they typically go?

Good luck, everyone with the wait list update today! I accepted my offer off the list so there should be movement on the list because I was 10-15 on the list. Hope you hear good news soon :)

Good luck, everyone with the wait list update today! I accepted my offer off the list so there should be movement on the list because I was 10-15 on the list. Hope you hear good news soon :)

Congrats! When did you receive the call?