***The Official UCSF Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Does anyone have experience establishing residency in California to gain in state tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience establishing residency in California to gain in state tuition?

it is incredibly easy. You will pay OOS for first year, but most certainly pay Instate rates for the rest of the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently, there's a 'question of the day' we have to write a short essay to on interview day. Anybody know what that's about?

I heard that this is nothing too difficult, so don't worry. You are given a quote or a philosophical question (my friend who applied there a couple years ago said hers was a song lyric by Lauren Hill!), then you have one page on which to write your essay and one page on which to brain storm and plan. I think you are given half and hour for the activity.

I just got that email too! Interviewing on nov 1. That's so soon!

:D See you there!

Anybody have any hotel recommendations? (flying in from a different state in a few weeks!) Looking for a hotel close to the campus.... also, what would be the best way to get from the airport (SFO) to the hotel? Bart? shuttle?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hello! I am from SF and I think your best bet would be to find a hotel somewhere in the downtown area and take Muni (N Judah line) all the way to the UCSF stop. Likewise, if you were able to find a hotel that is near the downtown MUNI stops (embarcadero, powell, montgomery, civic center [kind of sketch, don't pick a hotel near here...]), you will have direct access from SFO all the way to downtown because BART and MUNI overlap at these stops. :D

I can't guarantee that it will be cheap though...I haven't taken BART in ages. :\

When is your interview? I'm excited to be going home for a bit!

Anybody have any hotel recommendations? (flying in from a different state in a few weeks!) Looking for a hotel close to the campus.... also, what would be the best way to get from the airport (SFO) to the hotel? Bart? shuttle?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I stayed at the Carl Hotel and was able to just walk a few blocks to the interview. Its old but its clean and that's all I ever really care about. They gave me a UCSF discount as well and I even ran into a fellow interviewee staying there. Nice people too and the Muni has a stop right in front of it.

Did anyone's aadsas status just turn from "invited to interview" to "Received/Complete"?

For those of you who drove to the interview: Where did you park, the garage across the street from the school?

Also, just out of curiousity, does anyone know how many positions UCSF offers on December 2? I know their class size is 88, but I assume the ultimatly end up with more than 88 acceptances going out. Or are they one of those schools who only tries to fill half the class in December?

Also, just out of curiousity, does anyone know how many positions UCSF offers on December 2? I know their class size is 88, but I assume the ultimatly end up with more than 88 acceptances going out. Or are they one of those schools who only tries to fill half the class in December?
Only 60 spots, then they slowly fill out the rest as people decline and post-dec interviews are held.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an interview invite today by email! I thought it was pretty much over for me in terms of getting an invite... never been more happy to be wrong.

I got one today too, pre-december scheduled for this upcomming friday 11/1

Nice job guys. Received my application complete email on 10/2, so I figure I still have some time to wait.

I got my interview 10/21/13 and scheduled it for Nov 14! I got the received secondary app email on 9/17, if that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an interview invite saying there was last minute cancellation this coming Monday. Feel like I'm getting sloppy seconds. Thanks ucsf

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview invite saying there was last minute cancellation this coming Monday. Feel like I'm getting sloppy seconds. Thanks ucsf

Or maybe, you were set to interview on a later date, but saw that you were good enough to be bumped up to an earlier date! <3 Keep positive.

Your invite literally said that it was a last minute sport that opened up?

Sorry for the confusion everyone. My app was complete 9/12. The e mail read...

"You were placed on our list for interviews and we have had a last minute cancellations on one of our upcoming interview days and wanted to see if you would be able to attend on:

-This coming Monday, November 4, 2013

The interview day begins at 9a.m.
Please let me know as soon as you can if you'd be able to attend."

"The office of admissions would like you [the interviewees] to go back to SDN and tell them the essay isn't as difficult and agonizing as it is rumored to be."

I lol'ed. But really, it wasn't. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview this Friday, November 1st, and I have decided to give a breakdown of my interview for each school I interview at to help everyone out. So here goes, and hope this is helpful.

UCSF interviews 24 candidates per interview date and it sounds like they generally have 8-10 interview days in total (most of which are pre-December). Also keep in mind that I was only given 10 days notice with regards to the interview, so be prepared to spend a little extra for a flight. I was in the 4th batch of interview applicants, so for those of you who have yet to hear back, there are still quite a few dates left. Also keep in mind that the interviews are closed file, so both the student and faculty member who interview you have no idea who you are, GPA, extra-curriculars, etc...

I arrived 10 minutes before 9 because I got off of my bus one stop too early (this was my third time ever in SF and I definitely don't have the public transit down), so I was one of the last interviewees to reach the school. However a D4 dental student did help me find my way and gave me some helpful advice. UCSF is primarily looking for students who are a good fit and want to be there, so smile, be assertive, and prove that desire! I'm sure that was kind of an obvious point, but I just want you guys to try and bare the anxiety and stress of intense visual scrutiny and exude that confidence and good nature (at least try). After arriving and taking my seat, I made some acquaintanceships with the applicants next to me.

We received 3 PowerPoint presentations in the beginning and they really take the opportunity to sell their school to you. This is a good time to ask any questions as well, or to try and make yourself look good (if that is your tactic). We were also fed both breakfast and lunch, and I suggest staying away from the bagels that "look" like plain bagels. They are not and contain some spice that really cleared the nostrils and could easily show up in your teeth if you weren't careful. The tour of the school was extensive and extremely interesting, and I especially found our tour guide's sarcasm to be quite humorous. UCSF school of dentistry is integrated with the medical, pharmacy, and nursing school, so the campus is quite a bit larger than the stand-alone campuses. After lunch with some dental students (about 4 come in and are free to talk), you get split into 3 groups, one goes to do the writing portion, one to student interview and one to faculty interviews. After the initial splitting up, it turns into a hodge podge of commotion because everyone's interview ends at a different time and require subsequent attention, while there is only one lone Sarah Steer to assign interviews.

Personally, I thought both of my interviews went very well, both the student and faculty member were extremely personable, welcoming, and I made them laugh quite often, so I have decided to take that as a good sign. I wasn't asked any unexpected questions, and it didn't even feel like an interview to be honest (although I have heard of other opposite accounts so don't take my word as law). Everyone always complains about the written portion because it is a quote from some portion of a poem or famous remark, but it also isn't too bad. My one complaint is that you have to write in print, and being one of the few cursive writers still alive, I found myself writing at roughly 1/3 my normal speed and 1/2 my normal penmanship. So hopefully that part doesn't weigh too heavily against me.

After the interviews, there is one last spiel about the acceptance process and how "no news is good news," and you fill out anonymous critiques about the day as a whole. The floor is then opened up to any last questions, and then you are free to go. We actually got out at 2:30 when my ride was scheduled at 3:30, so I wound up going to a nearby cafe with some of the other candidates to discuss the day, life goals, and everything else.

Overall, I thought it was a great experience and UCSF truly has a lot to offer. If extended an interview, the statistic seems to be roughly 50% as to whether you will be offered admission, which is pretty good if you ask me. Good luck to you all, and if you have any further questions feel free to PM me; I am happy to share information because I appreciate it so much when others do the same for me.

Rejection

School: UCSF
Notification date: 11/4
Method of notification: email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 3rd batch
Application complete date: 9/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.99, 3.99
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/24/18/no

gg

Got an interview invitation today! App complete on 9/23.

Got an interview invitation today! App complete on 9/23.
Nice! You looking to do some of them backside hacks out at frigid Ocean Beach? Gets pretty good out there

Ahhhh did anybody else who already interviewed at UCSF have their AADSAS status changed from 'invited to interview' to 'received/under review'? I interviewed 11/1 and this just changed for me today. My heart skipped a few beats; what does this mean?

Ahhhh did anybody else who already interviewed at UCSF have their AADSAS status changed from 'invited to interview' to 'received/under review'? I interviewed 11/1 and this just changed for me today. My heart skipped a few beats; what does this mean?
Mine did too! I hope it means good news

Who else got the navy scholarship email from Deliah and freaked out for a moment? I was thinking "What's this? It's way too early for news..."

Who else got the navy scholarship email from Deliah and freaked out for a moment? I was thinking "What's this? It's way too early for news..."

Holy crap, I woke up from a nap, checked my email, saw UCSF...thought NONONO TOO EARLY, then it was Navy scholarship info.
-____-

I don't know how much more I can take of this lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy crap, I woke up from a nap, checked my email, saw UCSF...thought NONONO TOO EARLY, then it was Navy scholarship info.
-____-

I don't know how much more I can take of this lol.

I was about to post the exact same thing. Did everyone who interviewed receive this?

Does anybody who has interviewed have an aadsas status that actually says "Check On Dec 2nd"

Mine went back to "Received/Under Review" after the interview and its been that way for a month now.

Does anybody who has interviewed have an aadsas status that actually says "Check On Dec 2nd"

Mine went back to "Received/Under Review" after the interview and its been that way for a month now.

Same here.

Ditto.

Nope. Like everyone else my portal says under review.