***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

How do you know that you are on the waitlist? I invited before December 1st but haven't heard anything from the school since then.

Members don't see this ad.

waitlisted Feb. 5th

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

Date: 03/03/15
Method: Received phone call from the Assistant Dean of Admissions and an email the morning of 03/04/15
Residence: OOS
Applied: 10/15/14

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about convenient housing that's close to campus? (I'm OOS)

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about convenient housing that's close to campus? (I'm OOS)

If you've been accepted, then add the "University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2019" on facebook. There are lots of postings about housing from students in the class. There are also two co-ed fraternities that have houses near campus that are super cheap. I'm OOS as well.

Hi,
I am just finishing my sophomore year of college, and I want to apply to the University of Minnesota Dental School this summer. My question is, did any of you who got accepted this cycle apply a year early? Am I crazy to think I can apply without getting a college degree? If any of you did apply a year early, how were you treated as an applicant? Do you think applying early hurt your chances at getting accepted? Any feedback is appreciated.

If you've already taken the DAT (got 20+) and have a 4.0 then go for it. Though I'd say greater than 90% of dental schools won't accept someone without a bachelors degree anymore (in the 70's and 80's it was common). If your stats are lower than that then I'd say to save your money and keep working.

Buy the ADEA book and look at stats of accepted students for last year. You'll probably see that only a few schools accept students without a bachelors degree, and those that are accepted without a bachelors are geniuses.

Hi,
I am just finishing my sophomore year of college, and I want to apply to the University of Minnesota Dental School this summer. My question is, did any of you who got accepted this cycle apply a year early? Am I crazy to think I can apply without getting a college degree? If any of you did apply a year early, how were you treated as an applicant? Do you think applying early hurt your chances at getting accepted? Any feedback is appreciated.
I applied early and when asked in the interview "Are you graduating?" I had said no and explained that I applied early and I felt that one of my interviews was not to enthused with me being an early applicant. I did not end up getting accepted! It doesn't hurt but also ask yourself if you are mature enough to leave college a year early. Also I do believe applying early hurt my chances of being accepted and I believe to get accepted early you should have a very high GPA (3.8+ in oGPA, sGPA, and bcpGPA)and very good DAT scores (21+). Just my personal opinion for what its worth. Also would I do it again? Probably but the whole stress of the whole process and having to do it again isn't the most exciting thing but you got to do what you got to do and if you don't get in just make sure you continue to improve your application for next time!

Hi,

I would say you might as well try if your stats are stellar. You would save a year of waiting, enter your career a year earlier, and have another year of earning money or be able to retire a year early.

Consider the early admission rural track program at Minnesota, which guarantees you entry while you finish your degree but you don't have to go through the normal application process. I would have done that, but didn't decide on dentistry early enough.

Interviewed here pre-dec and still absolutely no contact from them to this day. Oh well I got into where I wanted so no complaints.

Hi,

Well you certainly can apply without getting a college degree, but I don't think it would help your chances. Maybe it could if you have stellar stats (like mentioned already) but I think even more important is a really good reason as to not getting your bachelors. The life experience that you can gain in that extra year probably would be useful to make you a more competitive applicant (i.e. do more volunteer hours, work, get involved in research, explore, have fun, follow interests, etc.).

For me, it wasn't until the summer going into my junior year that I decided that I wanted to be a dentist after working hundreds of hours as a nursing assistant on a medical floor. Its a long story..

Anyway, its also good to have a bachelors under your belt in case you choose a different path or are unable for some reason to continue with dentistry. Though, nothing is impossible I think, if you really want to try then go for it.

Interviewed here pre-dec and still absolutely no contact from them to this day. Oh well I got into where I wanted so no complaints.
Same here...

Reactions: 1 user
Just gave up my seat at Minnesota. Minnesota is an amazing school and it was a very difficult decision. Good luck everyone and have fun at Minnesota!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!

Method: Received phone call from the Assistant Dean of Admissions and an email the morning of 03/04/15

Hey Jr.Scientist,

It has been quite a while since you posted about your acceptance, but I am hoping that you might be able to answer some of my questions. As you wrote, you applied in October, so were your interview pre-dec or post dec? If it was pre-dec, did you receive an alternate list email like some of the SDNers did? I interviewed back in October but I've heard anything from them. It was completely silent... Thanks!

Accepted!

Hey Jr.Scientist,

It has been quite a while since you posted about your acceptance, but I am hoping that you might be able to answer some of my questions. As you wrote, you applied in October, so were your interview pre-dec or post dec? If it was pre-dec, did you receive an alternate list email like some of the SDNers did? I interviewed back in October but I've heard anything from them. It was completely silent... Thanks!

I applied in late-September and interviewed in mid-November. Complete radio silence from the U afterwards. It seems to be their policy~!

...Best of luck to those (re)applying in the 2015 cycle! :)

To everyone starting at the U of MN today have fun!! Good luck you guys.

Reactions: 1 users