****The Official Western University Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I really like the approach western takes to teaching their students, puting the patient first and working on communication skills to make them the most comfortable as possible. Western just seems like an all around great school, and not to mention an added bonus is that it is in Pomona, which is a beautiful city.

I am just a little bit nervous for the interview process, this will be my first interview and I have no idea what to expect. Will it be open or closed file? Will there be an essay? Will dentists or fourth years be interviewing us? Is there anywhere we can find answers to these questions?
Good luck on your interview!! Though, Pomona isn't really what you call a beautiful city. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes sir. I am flying down tomorrow morning.

Awesome thanks a lot for your willingness to help! Looks like you're from spokane? I live in seattle. Did you apply to UW?

I really like the approach western takes to teaching their students, puting the patient first and working on communication skills to make them the most comfortable as possible. Western just seems like an all around great school, and not to mention an added bonus is that it is in Pomona, which is a beautiful city.

I am just a little bit nervous for the interview process, this will be my first interview and I have no idea what to expect. Will it be open or closed file? Will there be an essay? Will dentists or fourth years be interviewing us? Is there anywhere we can find answers to these questions?

I'll give you my rundown of how it happened for me last year. All of this could change, I suppose. I was in the AM group. It felt like an enormous group of people. Check in, grab a folder of information, hang out with other predents in a lobby/lounge area and feast upon juice and pastries. Don't get any on your clothing. Mingle like a champ and don't ask anyone what their stats are. We all gathered in a classroom/lecture sort of room where we were briefed on the program. Faculty was in the room (sitting in the back). They were introduced. Pay attention if you want because they were the faculty who did the interviewing. I got a very long-winded answer to a question I asked in the interview because I remembered what one of my interviewers had mentioned when introducing herself. You won't know who is interviewing of the bunch, but just pay attention. I believe we were split into groups, like group A and group B or something. Some went to interview, some went to the sim clinic to hear about the dental/hands on side of the program, and some went on a tour...I think. Anyhow, you just rotate activities. The tour is fine. Student guided. It really is a strip-mall vibe. The sim clinic presentation is fine. Saturday interviews are wonderful for our schedule. But it sucks a little because there are limited students around to talk with and the clinic was closed. That's kind of silly. So we didn't see the clinic....just the outside. I didn't really understand why they couldn't just unlock it and give us a tour. Not a huge deal, but when you're courting candidates and presenting your best, break out the clinic. Especially since it's new. Anyway...

The interview was fine. No trickiness. I had two faculty. That particular day, it was 2 faculty in each room but some only had one due to family emergencies or something. While you wait for your interview, you hang out in that sam lobby/lounge area and wait for your interviewer to come retrieve you. My file was indeed on the table in front of one of the interviewers. It was referenced once...just something that was on the front page (language spoken). Other than that, it was just really basic stuff. Check the interview feedback on here. It was pretty accurate for me. Their big question that a lot of people seem to get is the 'social responsibility' question. Just give it a little thought in case it comes up. Wow, just peeked at the interview feedback questions...brought back some memories. Definitely use it!

Lunch...just some sandwiches from some place. There should be some students eating with you. The afternoon group was there too. So you have the interviewees who are relieved it's over and just want to enjoy their sandwich, the afternoon group interviewees who are sweating and trying to get interview questions out of you, and then there's the 'sit up super straight and look overly interested in every word that comes out the mouth of anyone who has anything to do with the school and trying too hard to stand out'. Those dudes are lame.

I'll give you my rundown of how it happened for me last year. All of this could change, I suppose. I was in the AM group. It felt like an enormous group of people. Check in, grab a folder of information, hang out with other predents in a lobby/lounge area and feast upon juice and pastries. Don't get any on your clothing. Mingle like a champ and don't ask anyone what their stats are. We all gathered in a classroom/lecture sort of room where we were briefed on the program. Faculty was in the room (sitting in the back). They were introduced. Pay attention if you want because they were the faculty who did the interviewing. I got a very long-winded answer to a question I asked in the interview because I remembered what one of my interviewers had mentioned when introducing herself. You won't know who is interviewing of the bunch, but just pay attention. I believe we were split into groups, like group A and group B or something. Some went to interview, some went to the sim clinic to hear about the dental/hands on side of the program, and some went on a tour...I think. Anyhow, you just rotate activities. The tour is fine. Student guided. It really is a strip-mall vibe. The sim clinic presentation is fine. Saturday interviews are wonderful for our schedule. But it sucks a little because there are limited students around to talk with and the clinic was closed. That's kind of silly. So we didn't see the clinic....just the outside. I didn't really understand why they couldn't just unlock it and give us a tour. Not a huge deal, but when you're courting candidates and presenting your best, break out the clinic. Especially since it's new. Anyway...

The interview was fine. No trickiness. I had two faculty. That particular day, it was 2 faculty in each room but some only had one due to family emergencies or something. While you wait for your interview, you hang out in that sam lobby/lounge area and wait for your interviewer to come retrieve you. My file was indeed on the table in front of one of the interviewers. It was referenced once...just something that was on the front page (language spoken). Other than that, it was just really basic stuff. Check the interview feedback on here. It was pretty accurate for me. Their big question that a lot of people seem to get is the 'social responsibility' question. Just give it a little thought in case it comes up. Wow, just peeked at the interview feedback questions...brought back some memories. Definitely use it!

Lunch...just some sandwiches from some place. There should be some students eating with you. The afternoon group was there too. So you have the interviewees who are relieved it's over and just want to enjoy their sandwich, the afternoon group interviewees who are sweating and trying to get interview questions out of you, and then there's the 'sit up super straight and look overly interested in every word that comes out the mouth of anyone who has anything to do with the school and trying too hard to stand out'. Those dudes are lame.

That. Was. Awesome. hahah thanks for the response that actually painted quite the picture for me as to what I will be expecting. Thanks a ton that helped a lot!!

Pomona is a disgusting city lol. Although I would still kill to get an interview there..

done with interview earlier today and heading back to hometown.
Seriously.. loved the faculty and students there.. the facilities also were impressive.
As far as interviews.. seriously.. don't have to worry. the interviewers are REALLY nice .. they really want to get to know you and try to make the experience as comfortable and stress free as possible. My interviewers were SUPER nice.. and none of the other interviewees had any complaints, but rather all seem to take a liking to their respective interviewers (well, as far as the people I had a chance to talk to)

Shoot any questions for those taking interview soon, happy to answer any questions!
Was great meeting everyone!
GOOD LUCK!

done with interview earlier today and heading back to hometown.
Seriously.. loved the faculty and students there.. the facilities also were impressive.
As far as interviews.. seriously.. don't have to worry. the interviewers are REALLY nice .. they really want to get to know you and try to make the experience as comfortable and stress free as possible. My interviewers were SUPER nice.. and none of the other interviewees had any complaints, but rather all seem to take a liking to their respective interviewers (well, as far as the people I had a chance to talk to)

Shoot any questions for those taking interview soon, happy to answer any questions!
Was great meeting everyone!
GOOD LUCK!

Hey, thanks for the info! Question: what was the first question they asked you? Or what question was key in setting the direction of the conversation?

Greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Well I wouldn't be that happy to divulge interview questions to people that haven't interviewed yet. While it would be nice to have leg up on everyone, I wouldn't tell you the exact questions they asked me since this is pretty much a competition.

Well I wouldn't be that happy to divulge interview questions to people that haven't interviewed yet. While it would be nice to have leg up on everyone, I wouldn't tell you the exact questions they asked me since this is pretty much a competition.

Lol

Members don't see this ad :)

LoL... sometime we forgot about that....

I wonder, how many ppl were invited to the interview on the 15th? anybody has any estimation?

oh wow.. that's quite a lot of ppl... I thought it was gonna be about 20-50 ppl per batch...

Nonetheless, good luck ppl!

This is a spot-on accurate description of the day! I was in the afternoon group Saturday the 15th and it was pretty much the same. During the presentation I think only the Dean was in the back, but the interviewers were 1 faculty and 1 student at the same time. Very laid-back, friendly, and nice. I didn't get asked anything difficult but one girl was asked "What's a mistake you've made and what did you learn from it" so that could be challenging...and someone was asked "What does psychosocial mean and how does it relate to dentistry?"<-- very similar to the "social responsibility" question.

They have a pretty great, modern facility and they interview around 500 people for 69 spots so on your interview day expect that there will be quite a few people around.

You can PM me if you have questions.

PS the cadaver lab was pretty freakin sweet.

Hey, thanks for the info! Question: what was the first question they asked you? Or what question was key in setting the direction of the conversation?

Greatly appreciate it, thanks!
for me, it's hard to say what was the first question, because, when my interviewer came out to call me, I started up a conversation with her right away as we were walking to the interview room. So, it was a natural transition... seriously, don't worry. It's really chill and conversational :)

Got the call on 9/7 as well! Interview on 9/29!

Please let me know how it goes!

Anyone familiar with the area? How is like in comparison to south florida?

If anyone has the same interview date please pm me or email [email protected] cool to stay in touch.

Hey, I have an interview on the 29th as well!!! The weather is pretty good here in Cali last week it was 102F :/ but its starting to cool down. I have visited the school once and was really impressed!! Got to meet a few students and all of them seemed to be very happy with their choice. So don't worry, just let me know what time you are going to be around the school and maybe that way we can meet and get to know each other. I have an interview in Florida (NOVA) on Nov 29th.. hopefully if we meet at the school on the interview day you can tell me about Florida lol.

Just got an interview for Oct. 6th! Super excited!!! : D
Now to book everything and figure out transportation....

Anyone happen to know if they are still sending out interview invites? Or should I just praying for that phone call? ? :/

Says the person afraid to lose in said "competition". Goodluck. Nobody asked you for specifics, a general overview would have been nice, of course this is only expected from nice/professional people. Because of your comment, now others who already interviewed will probably feel compelled to use your excuse and decide not to help others by giving second hand advice. Hope that doesnt happen though, this forum is for help/advice.

Well since I'm actually a D1 at this school right now, I would figure this not to be accurate. The only statement I wanted to imply was that someone wanted to know what the exact question was... I was only referring to specifics. Possibly the same understanding goes for a group B interviewee and a Group A interviewee, and the B person asking the A person what questions they asked on the same day. Sorry to say but any leg up you have on the competition is critical for admission into dental school.
As I previously stated in many of my posts, I have only tried to help people on their interview and from my own personal experience from my interview LAST year. I have given several insights into the school and what I thought from my own interview to several people already. You might want to read a little more before blasting someone..... see you at the tour.

Hey JLWesternU2016, it's difficult to learn about the bad stuff, because those with the mics and broadcasters have a vested interest in there being a positive opinion of their school. So thank you for sharing another perspective!

Hey JLWesternU2016, it's difficult to learn about the bad stuff, because those with the mics and broadcasters have a vested interest in there being a positive opinion of their school. So thank you for sharing another perspective!

It's definitely good to get another perspective, but of course with everything, there's always two sides to the story.

Check this thread here. There's probably 10+ responses in response to the OP's same post (in the pre-DO thread).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=953048

i have mine on the 12th and will also be flying into ontario since its cheaper. I was looking at the pomona dunes, deluxe motel, pomona inn, and super inn since they are within walking distance. Probably flying in the 11th and leaving the 13th.

for anyone else who interviewed at western, any more thoughts/concerns/advices?

#scaredforlife

for anyone else who interviewed at western, any more thoughts/concerns/advices?

#scaredforlife

It may be because I am not from the best neighborhood myself, but I thought the campus was in a pretty decent area. It is right in the middle of a bunch of antique shops, looks like a strip from a small tourist town somewhere. It wasn't dirty or anything, not an unusual amount of people roaming the streets at night. It wasn't as bad as it is made to be on SDN.

It may be because I am not from the best neighborhood myself, but I thought the campus was in a pretty decent area. It is right in the middle of a bunch of antique shops, looks like a strip from a small tourist town somewhere. It wasn't dirty or anything, not an unusual amount of people roaming the streets at night. It wasn't as bad as it is made to be on SDN.

thank you for your input! how was the interview?!

I interviewed today and have to say I was really impressed with the school. I didn't realize how community oriented they were and how many programs they had that focused on community service, which was a big plus for me. The interview was not what I was expecting at all. I was one of the last people to interview, and I basically spoke the whole time and wasn't really asked that many questions. Before the interview even started he even told me what kind of things he was looking for me to cover, and by the time I finished my first little "snippet" he didn't really have much more to ask me.

So I'm not sure if that was good or bad, I couldn't really get a good feel of whether or not I have a good chance at the school because there were 100 people there today alone and they are only offering 69 spots. Before I left the interview the dentist told me that I had a great shot and that he was pulling for me, so I'm hoping that I get an acceptance.

For everyone that is worrying, seriously don't. It was not what you would think of when you think of an "interview," but then again it could just be because of the dentist who interviewed me.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions!

onyl 69 spots? what happened to the other 6? Are people being held back or something? Wow 100 people so they basically interview everyone? They must have an enormous number of people interviewing to get through all 100. Is it a mix between student, faculty or just faculty interviewing?

onyl 69 spots? what happened to the other 6? Are people being held back or something? Wow 100 people so they basically interview everyone? They must have an enormous number of people interviewing to get through all 100. Is it a mix between student, faculty or just faculty interviewing?

Maybe it was just my interview but it was nothing like I expected; I literally led the whole interview, it was only one person, and he didn't really ask me questions he just let me talk.. I sat down and he took a second to collect himself and look over some papers. I'm not sure if they had anything to do with my application or if it was just his checklist. Then he told me that he had to go over a couple things including community service, social responsibility, how I'd fit in the school, etc. then he asked me why I wanted to attend Western. I answered that incorporating a bunch of different things, then he asked me how I deal with adversity, then what community service things I have done. But I basically talked the whole time and transitioned subjects without him asking. It literally was just a conversation, he didn't even ask me why I wanted to pursue dentistry.

What I thought was weird was that he kept glancing behind me like 5 or 10 minutes into the conversation, it was almost like he kept looking at a clock or someone was telling him to hurry up? I didn't really have any idea how I did as I walked out, but I thought I covered everything well and he said he is pulling for me and I would fit well in the school. I just don't know how much the interview matters with 550 people interviewing, or what their scoring process is for the interview?

Did anyone else who interviewed feel the same way or was it just me?

well the 2011 ADEA data says they interview 11% of total OOS apps and 8/11 interviewed are accepted at western so...THAT"S AWESOME!

well the 2011 ADEA data says they interview 11% of total OOS apps and 8/11 interviewed are accepted at western so...THAT"S AWESOME!

Hmm so maybe I have a better shot than I thought?

I interviewed today and have to say I was really impressed with the school. I didn't realize how community oriented they were and how many programs they had that focused on community service, which was a big plus for me. The interview was not what I was expecting at all. I was one of the last people to interview, and I basically spoke the whole time and wasn't really asked that many questions. Before the interview even started he even told me what kind of things he was looking for me to cover, and by the time I finished my first little "snippet" he didn't really have much more to ask me.

So I'm not sure if that was good or bad, I couldn't really get a good feel of whether or not I have a good chance at the school because there were 100 people there today alone and they are only offering 69 spots. Before I left the interview the dentist told me that I had a great shot and that he was pulling for me, so I'm hoping that I get an acceptance.

For everyone that is worrying, seriously don't. It was not what you would think of when you think of an "interview," but then again it could just be because of the dentist who interviewed me.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions!

the school interviewed 100 people in one day? :confused: that's ridiculous

The reason for their number of seats is because at the Patient Care Center where the 3rd and 4th years work on patients, that's approximately the number of chairs that they have.