****The Official Western University Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

But does this apply to people who have WesternU on their AADSAS only?

I think this applies to everyone. Like I said before, I have never had WesternU on my AADSAS. Sooo, I guess more waiting time for us who have not heard back from them yet... lol

Members don't see this ad.

I think this applies to everyone. Like I said before, I have never had WesternU on my AADSAS. Sooo, I guess more waiting time for us who have not heard back from them yet... lol

Ugh! As if 4 years of undergrad, taking the DAT and spending all that $$ applying wasn't suffering enough!

I don't have them on my AADSAS either, so I hope I hear from them!

I contacted them too. They are not done with making phone calls. They will continue tomorrow. but I forgot to ask them if this applies to people who have updates on their AADSAS or not. If some one called please ask them about this :/ but I think this applies to every body because not so many people heard from them unlike other schools..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much of the class should be filled up by now?

I got a call at 3PM and never had Western on my AADSAS portal.

I contacted them too. They are not done with making phone calls. They will continue tomorrow. but I forgot to ask them if this applies to people who have updates on their AADSAS or not. If some one called please ask them about this :/ but I think this applies to every body because not so many people heard from them unlike other schools..[/QUOTE]

Lets hope we hear from them soon... :scared:

the response from people who were accepted seems unusually low, for a popular school like this.

hopefully we get some calls tomorrow or something

has anyone heard anything from them today?

Hey, I just got off the phone with Yesley. She said if you dont have WesternU on your AADSAS that just means a decision has not been made on your application and that it doesnt mean you are rejected or waitlisted. She also said a waitlist has not been made yet and that we may hear back from them this week. I guess by monday if we dont hear back that means we are either waitlisted/rejected.

hope this helps! GL to all of us :)

Sooo, it's 1 pm PST now... has anyone heard from them by now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope... but i've given up.....

Yep.. me too. They just told my friend who interviewed the same day as me to wait for a letter in the mail. I mean why can't they just tell us our status?

Gosh this is just so frustrating. We worked our butts off, and spent all this money, and they can't even do us the decency of letting us know where we stand with the school? It just kind of seems like BS to me. I am pretty frustrated with all of this, why would they interview 100 people on a single day? The interviewer himself told me that he was new at this and he was overwhelmed with all the applicants, and that was the only interview I got. HE DIDNT EVEN ASK ME WHY I WANTED TO BE A DENTIST OR WHERE MY INTEREST IN DENTISTRY CAME FROM. I am so frustrated with the system, I guess when it comes down to it all that matters is grades. Nothing else. It doesn't matter if you've had to work from the age of sixteen and support yourself working 30-40 hours a week throughout college, or if your mother was a drug addict and you had to do everything yourself from the age of 13 because your dad was always at work and your older brother didn't take care of you. Or it doesn't seem to matter how much time you've put in with EC's, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. Everyone who told me that my grades and test score sucks were right, and that is what is holding me back from getting any acceptance from any school. I really hope that UW or UCSF will see past that, because if they don't I'm really screwed. I spent all the money I had on applying to 20 schools this cycle and I don't know where I am going to come up with more money if I have to apply again next year.

Sorry for the rant I am just feel really crappy about myself and feel like something has to give. I'm not lazy, my grades are low because I literally have ZERO family support. I pay for my rent, phone, car insurance, spending money, gas, and just about everything else you can think of, and have to work 35 hour weeks while in school. It doesn't matter if I have a test the next day, if I don't work I get kicked out of my place for not making rent. Obviously I'm not going to have as high of grades as someone who can only focus on school. Why can't they see that? On top of all this, I have a 102 degree fever right now... This is a very bad day, I feel like I've been such a positive person throughout this whole process, and tried to have a good attitude, but I'm done fooling myself. Every time life pushes me down I try to get back up with a positive attitude. But it is getting harder and harder each day to take the stress of school and work, and not to mention my ongoing family problems.... Sorry for going off, I just really thought i had a chance at school this year.

Hey guys so on the aadsas portal is says that I have been made an offer, but i havent received a phone call or an email from Western yet. Has anyone experienced this?

It doesn't matter, it means you obviously received an acceptance they just havent had the time to call you yet. Congratulations man.

I also wanted to apologize for my rant earlier, I kind of lost it especially after seeing all the acceptances on here and all the other boards.

Good luck to everyone and as always.... PM me if there is anything i can help with. :)

It doesn't matter, it means you obviously received an acceptance they just havent had the time to call you yet. Congratulations man.

I also wanted to apologize for my rant earlier, I kind of lost it especially after seeing all the acceptances on here and all the other boards.

Good luck to everyone and as always.... PM me if there is anything i can help with. :)

It's alright man.... it's understandable... I'm 0 for 5. I still feel upset/sad/heartbroken.... but life goes on... time to reevaluate and figure things out for next year. I'm not going to tell you "it's okay, you will be alright" because I know that it's out of our hands and its not okay. I told my gf she doesn't have to tell me "it's okay" because it doesn't fix things. I don't want to have hopes that I will get a call in January, because I had high hopes of getting in...only to be disappointed.. all my interviews felt good...I felt like I was going to get in... felt like this year was my year (I'm a reapplicant)... I know what it's like to interview get wait-listed and not get in...happened to me two cycles ago...

you needed to pour it all out....I'm glad you did and I bet it made you feel better.

Good luck to the rest of us who are still waiting....

It's alright man.... it's understandable... I'm 0 for 5. I still feel upset/sad/heartbroken.... but life goes on... time to reevaluate and figure things out for next year. I'm not going to tell you "it's okay, you will be alright" because I know that it's out of our hands and its not okay. I told my gf she doesn't have to tell me "it's okay" because it doesn't fix things. I don't want to have hopes that I will get a call in January, because I had high hopes of getting in...only to be disappointed.. all my interviews felt good...I felt like I was going to get in... felt like this year was my year (I'm a reapplicant)... I know what it's like to interview get wait-listed and not get in...happened to me two cycles ago...

you needed to pour it all out....I'm glad you did and I bet it made you feel better.

Good luck to the rest of us who are still waiting....

It definitely did make me feel better, especially because you and a few others reached out to me which I appreciated greatly. We still have to realize that we truly do have a chance at getting in this cycle still, whether that chance be great or small, and we do have a chance at getting more interview offers. This has really made me re-evaluate my strategy for the two interviews coming up, I'm really going to pour it all out and be as personal as I can. If I have to involve my emotions and tell them things I normally wouldn't tell others, then so be it. I am committed to getting into school and if I don't get in this cycle I don't want to have any regrets and say "I wish I would have...." Good luck to you Kevin I really think you have a good shot with 5 wait lists, but as you said we really just never know how the dice will roll.

Glad you are feeling better today. While I can't necessarily relate with your hardship, I can appreciate and commend you on what you have gone through. Although it is tough, sometimes you just have to remember that even if it doesn't work out the way we wanted, we are better because of our hard work. And you are right, hope is not lost; no one has been rejected. After browsing last year's thread people were still getting decisions into June so prepare for the long haul.

How many schools did you apply? I'm a F1 student too. I did apply to western, however, I have not heard anything from them. I think the acceptance rate for western is around 50 to 60%. I am not really worry about it because I had interviews with other schools. But it wouldn't hurt if i get an interview from them since I live in Pomona, about 5 mins away from school. I can not comment on the school since I have not toured it. But Pomona is an ideal city if you want to take a walk around at night, it pretty much dead. Oh well, good luck to you, I hope you get in.

Pomona? I interviewed there and almost everyone says that Pomona is kind of sketch. They live around chino hills and surrounding areas? what is your view on Pomona since you live within the city.

Talked to a few classmates yesterday, and several of us( more than you would think!) got acceptances post February. I personally interviewed in February, but some of my classmates were interviewed in October and November and got in after February. Keep your heads up!!!!

The admissions process is probably the most confusing process you will ever have in your life. Interview invites don't make sense and acceptances make even less sense. It's a roll of the dice in my personal opinion. (I got rejected from my state school 3 times in a row, even though I interviewed each year!!!!) I know the pain of the waiting game and as long as you have drive and determination you can make it happen. It is tough at times, because unless you have actually been a part of the application process, many people can't relate at all. Like I said, just stay positive ( I had several late interviews in the last cycle- 4 post december).

Thanks for the info!!!!

Hoping ill be one of the fortunate ones to hear back!!

Talked to a few classmates yesterday, and several of us( more than you would think!) got acceptances post February. I personally interviewed in February, but some of my classmates were interviewed in October and November and got in after February. Keep your heads up!!!!

The admissions process is probably the most confusing process you will ever have in your life. Interview invites don't make sense and acceptances make even less sense. It's a roll of the dice in my personal opinion. (I got rejected from my state school 3 times in a row, even though I interviewed each year!!!!) I know the pain of the waiting game and as long as you have drive and determination you can make it happen. It is tough at times, because unless you have actually been a part of the application process, many people can't relate at all. Like I said, just stay positive ( I had several late interviews in the last cycle- 4 post december).

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to make us feel better lol :):thumbup:

Thanks for the info. And... I'm guessing you are a student at WesternU?

western has an absolutely awful admissions process. it's really not a bad school, but i wouldn't think about it twice if it wasn't in southern california. also what kind of school doesn't let you see their clinic? gah

Thanks for the info. And... I'm guessing you are a student at WesternU?

Yea currently a D1, and we are approaching the end of the semester. Just gotta get 3 more finals outta the way. And yes, not every school handles the acceptance procedure in the most generous way. This school is still VERY new, and we see changes to our schedule, and curriculum all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if everything doesn't come off as the most courteous way possible.

All in all, the main reason this school is great is the FACULTY. We have sooo many experts from all different aspects of the dental field. While the environment isn't the most attractive, (Pomona is definitely sketchy) there are plenty of nice areas outside of Pomona. I personally love it here! The rigorous science background is pretty difficult, and our pre-clinical skills are tested on a weekly basis, but I think this school is giving us a great education.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone!!!!

western has an absolutely awful admissions process. it's really not a bad school, but i wouldn't think about it twice if it wasn't in southern california. also what kind of school doesn't let you see their clinic? gah

I know right?!

Hey guys, I am probably the most impatient person on this thread lol I call them everyday. I had emailed them asking about my status and Yesly replied saying that those of us that didnt hear back have no decision on our app, but most improtantly she said that NO one has been rejected or waitlisted yet. So i guess we still have some hope?:scared:

Gosh!!! I AM BACK!!!!! Life is not fun without SDN!!!!!
CALL ME WESTERN PLZ!!!!!

Hey guys, I am probably the most impatient person on this thread lol I call them everyday. I had emailed them asking about my status and Yesly replied saying that those of us that didnt hear back have no decision on our app, but most improtantly she said that NO one has been rejected or waitlisted yet. So i guess we still have some hope?:scared:

Glad to hear that :) hang in there!

so only people hearing back via snail mail are the people who got accepted?
i thought that they said that they'll send a letter even if you're WL/rejected but if she told you that no one is WL/rejected.... what does that mean?

so only people hearing back via snail mail are the people who got accepted?
i thought that they said that they'll send a letter even if you're WL/rejected but if she told you that no one is WL/rejected.... what does that mean?

From what I know, no waitlist will be available until after the next round of acceptances in Jan. I looked back at the old thread and people didn't find out until about Feb/March if they were waitlisted. I assume once they make the waitlist, they will also start sending out rejections. So we won't hear of any activity until January.

As of now, those of us who interviewed still have a chance to hear back in January:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Anyone got tips for interview at Western? I got a interview next month there :]

I got yet another email saying my app is either still under review or the adcom has made a decision but hasn't released it yet

From what I know, no waitlist will be available until after the next round of acceptances in Jan. I looked back at the old thread and people didn't find out until about Feb/March if they were waitlisted. I assume once they make the waitlist, they will also start sending out rejections. So we won't hear of any activity until January.

As of now, those of us who interviewed still have a chance to hear back in January:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Yep, I would have to agree with you... No waitlist/rejection means that we still have a good chance of hearing some good news. :xf::xf:

Hey everyone, I was accepted to a few different schools, but I have narrowed it down to Western and one other school. Of course I have done my research on the schools, but I am still finding myself at a loss. I don't know which one to choose. What are some reasons you guys are choosing Western as opposed to anywhere else? What is the most important thing when deciding on a school? Any advice would be appreciated. Any current Western students out there? Thanks.

Hey everyone, I was accepted to a few different schools, but I have narrowed it down to Western and one other school. Of course I have done my research on the schools, but I am still finding myself at a loss. I don't know which one to choose. What are some reasons you guys are choosing Western as opposed to anywhere else? What is the most important thing when deciding on a school? Any advice would be appreciated. Any current Western students out there? Thanks.

Agree, interested in hearing more of this.

There were quite a few things that kind of turned me off about the school.

Sketchy neighborhood. You'd have to live I think about 15 or 20 mins away. There are always questionable people walking around.

Must share classes with med student and I think pharmacy students too (i might be wrong)

Business casual for all 4 years... I don't think I can do this every morning =(

Few quick things on top of my head!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sketchy neighborhood. You'd have to live I think about 15 or 20 mins away. There are always questionable people walking around.

Must share classes with med student and I think pharmacy students too (i might be wrong)

Thanks for the input i kinda feel the same. More input would be greatly appreciated!!

True Pomona is kinda sketchy, but most of my classmates including myself only have to live 10- 15 mins away from school. Not a bad commute at all, since I used to have to drive a lot further when I worked out of school. 10mins to Claremont, or Chino Hills and both of these areas are pretty nice.

Sharing classes isn't really that bad. Do you really want to JUST know your fellow dental-classmates, or would you like to see who else is out there. You are going to have a tough curriculum in the science classes no matter who you take it with. ( Although I do believe the school will eventually have dental faculty for every class in the future.)

I'm not going to lie, business casual does get a bit annoying on a day to day basis. But overall, it really isn't that bad. The dental school sets the bar for dress attire, and it does feel nice presenting yourself in a professional manner.

I like where you are going with this, but in all honesty these are not the most important criteria when selecting a d-school. (Price, faculty- student ration, Board pass rate, how early do you start working with a handpiece, and how well do you think the school will prepare you to be the best you can be.) Those are all good questions to think about as well. The main reason I love this school is because of the FACULTY. We have some of the smartest and brightest from all-over the country and it is great working/learning from these good instructors.

True Pomona is kinda sketchy, but most of my classmates including myself only have to live 10- 15 mins away from school. Not a bad commute at all, since I used to have to drive a lot further when I worked out of school. 10mins to Claremont, or Chino Hills and both of these areas are pretty nice.

Sharing classes isn't really that bad. Do you really want to JUST know your fellow dental-classmates, or would you like to see who else is out there. You are going to have a tough curriculum in the science classes no matter who you take it with. ( Although I do believe the school will eventually have dental faculty for every class in the future.)

I'm not going to lie, business casual does get a bit annoying on a day to day basis. But overall, it really isn't that bad. The dental school sets the bar for dress attire, and it does feel nice presenting yourself in a professional manner.

I like where you are going with this, but in all honesty these are not the most important criteria when selecting a d-school. (Price, faculty- student ration, Board pass rate, how early do you start working with a handpiece, and how well do you think the school will prepare you to be the best you can be.) Those are all good questions to think about as well. The main reason I love this school is because of the FACULTY. We have some of the smartest and brightest from all-over the country and it is great working/learning from these good instructors.

Yeah, I have no problem with the way they expect you to dress. I have almost worn nothing but a dress shirt and tie for the past 4 years for work and other things.

I was very impressed with the program, the student-teacher ratio, as well as the faculty... but price is a hard one to get over. I just don't know if that is really worth it. I know I will be able to pay it off eventually, but the stress of being under that much debt is hard to justify when I can save over $100,000 by attending another school. Is that concern valid? Or am I worrying too much about the financial aspect. I have read some posts where people say cost is the number one decision factor.

Go wherever you can save 100,000.. That's a lot of money.

I noticed that according to the " I am withdrawing my app from XX school" poll about 9% of the people were going to withdraw their acceptances from WU. So that means more spots will open for us around January :):xf::xf:

Lets stay positive!

I noticed that according to the " I am withdrawing my app from XX school" poll about 9% of the people were going to withdraw their acceptances from WU. So that means more spots will open for us around January :):xf::xf:

Lets stay positive!

Yep! I just mailed in my withdrawal today! Good luck to all of you!

Current student at western here. First advice to trump all other advice: go to the cheapest school you get accepted to. I cannot emphasize that enough. With that out of the way...

Pros:
-Western has a fantastic simlab and dental clinic. Brand new and state of the art.
-There are no residencies here! Rejoice!! This means there are no specialists in training to steal every semi-challenging case from you in the clinic. I have heard horror stories from friends at schools with several specialty programs.
-The faculty is fantastic. Wish I could personally compare them to other dental programs but they are the shiznit for the most part.
-The students are chill. No one is out to get you and the "gunners" somehow managed to maintain social skills here. My classmates all collaborate to help each other get through the challenging curriculum.
-There are plenty of very nice communities within 15 minutes of campus (Claremont and Chino Hills especially).
-They send us to community clinics 4th year. I have heard great things from the D4s about this.

Cons:
-Immediate area around the campus is ghetto.
-Some organization issues of the curriculum. They continue to tweak things based on student feedback. I think this is a good thing in the long run, but it is frustrating because its hard to know exactly what they are gonna throw at us sometimes.
-Expensive tuition. Not USC or NYU expensive, but still no joke.

I got my interview request from Western this morning for Feb 23. I was a very late applicant (secondaries sent in October, yikes!). I haven't gotten any rejections yet, but I've had a few schools put me on "re-review" lists for later openings, as I would expect. Anyway, very excited about the interview and would appreciate any advice!