***The Official Western University Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I'm all submitted to western . Batch 7 . 7/28 verified. 3.45 Overall 3.6 science 23AA Have they offered interviews? I live about 45 mins away. I am still waiting . Gluck everyone !!
What are your stats? I submitted mine last week

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm all submitted to western . Batch 7 . 7/28 verified. 3.45 Overall 3.6 science 23AA Have they offered interviews? I live about 45 mins away. I am still waiting . Gluck everyone !!

I lived my whole life, until moving away for college, about three miles away. Last year they sent out interviews around this next weeks time. Pretty excited to hear back.

Does anyone know if going to the preview day is beneficial or not? I am debating on going, but if I don't need to I would rather not spend the money.
I went to the Preview day and I have to say it was very beneficial!!! Western was not my first choice (nor was it in my top 10) but now I feel like it is up there. It's a newer school and has a "DMD" instead of a DDS program but I think what people said about this school being "lower tier" is a joke. I talked to many dental students and they are so happy! Plus you get insight on other schools that they were accepted to and why they chose Western over them (ie. one girl kicked U.Penn for Western!). This preview day was totally worth it in my opinion and I was surprised that there were so many DMD students there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that they talk that much about the DMD over DDS scares me.
Unless he is referring to the fact that they have classes with DO students.

The fact that they talk that much about the DMD over DDS scares me.
Unless he is referring to the fact that they have classes with DO students.
Why does it scare you?

Why does it scare you?

Because being DMD or being DDS means absolutely nothing so the fact they make that a point of emphasis is strange to me.

Lol they don't talk about the fact that they offer a DMD rather than a DDS to any degree other than "our program offers a DMD degree." I mean I wasn't at preview day but I've been to a few other presentations from their students/faculty and it literally was never mentioned in anything more than passing and the occasional undergrad asking "so is there a difference between dmd and dds or what?"

Because being DMD or being DDS means absolutely nothing so the fact they make that a point of emphasis is strange to me.
Ok that's what I was going to say haha I thought you were going to say something like you only want a DDS. Haha

there's no difference, but I have heard some dentists say "bad things" about having a DMD as opposed to DDS... IDK. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem to really matter right now

there's no difference, but I have heard some dentists say "bad things" about having a DMD as opposed to DDS... IDK. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem to really matter right now
i'm guessing those dentists are super old because there is absolutely no difference

Members don't see this ad :)
that's not old enough to justify not knowing that DDS = DMD unless they were foreign trained

If they know it's the same, then looking down on a DMD degree is equivalent to looking down on their own DDS degree.

Reactions: 2 users
DMD started with Harvard as they grant all their degrees in Latin.
I am a graduate of WesternU dental school and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

I am a graduate of WesternU dental school and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

What were your top 3 favorite things about the school?

Do you plan on staying for California? And what opportunities were there at Western for you to build connections with dentists outside the school?

What were your top 3 favorite things about the school?

I liked the education I received.
Liked the faculty and the support they offered.
Enjoyed being with my classmates. We were very supportive of each other (I think the other classes are the same).

Do you plan on staying for California? And what opportunities were there at Western for you to build connections with dentists outside the school?

I moved out of California and I think a lot of my classmates did the same.
Yes, there are a lot of opportunities to build connections.

I moved out of California and I think a lot of my classmates did the same.
Yes, there are a lot of opportunities to build connections.
Thanks for answering. How did you build these connections? For example, attending ASDA conference or externships?

We have a lot of clubs that are very active and invite dentists to speak to us. In our 2nd year we go out to private offices to assist or observe once a week and that is a nice way to start building connections. The last year we have 2 months externship. In regards to building connections I always say it depends on your personality. Some people build connections very easy and others don't, even if you present the connections to them.

We have a lot of clubs that are very active and invite dentists to speak to us. In our 2nd year we go out to private offices to assist or observe once a week and that is a nice way to start building connections. The last year we have 2 months externship. In regards to building connections I always say it depends on your personality. Some people build connections very easy and others don't, even if you present the connections to them.

Would you mind sharing what your least favorite things about Western are? In your opinion, what type of applicants do you think Western is looking for?

Reactions: 1 users
When I was graduating every little thing irritated me but I think that's normal :)
Overall my experience was positive but no doubt, like every other school it has its problems. Because it is a new school changes are often made in the curriculum. Some of the changes are positive and done per our recommendation but others not so much.
The other problem I had was with the so-called "professional attire" we have to wear. Different people have different definitions for "professional". Let's say nowadays, I enjoy my scrubs very much ;)

Last edited:
When I was graduating every little thing was irritating me but I think that's normal :)
Overall my experience was positive but no doubt , like every other school it has its problems. Because it is a new school changes are often made in the curriculum. Some of the changes were because of students recommendations

Thank you for your feedback!

When I was graduating every little thing irritated me but I think that's normal :)
Overall my experience was positive but no doubt, like every other school it has its problems. Because it is a new school changes are often made in the curriculum. Some of the changes are positive and done per our recommendation but others not so much.
The other problem I had was with the so-called "professional attire" we have to wear. Different people have different definitions for "professional". Let's say nowadays, I appreciate my scrubs very much ;)
Do you not get to wear scrubs everyday?

Scrubs are not allowed in our clinic. If you are going to CSL site or doing an externship then you can wear scrubs.

I can't believe they still haven't sent out anything

They don't want no scrubs...

Just got the call! Invited to interview! So excited and happy, because Western's one of my top choices!! ^__^

Just got one too! Got an email on August 5th saying my application was ready for review, and got the call this morning.

Congrats to you both! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Also just received an interview call. I'm pretty excited as well, as they were the first school to deny me last year! I suppose it really does help to apply early on, and have some good community service on the resume!

Rough stats:
GPA - ~3.3
DAT - ~21-23, w/ exception of QR which was 19
AADSAS says mailed 6/25, whatever batch that is.

WOOT WOOOOOOOOOT what a lovely birthday present.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to you both! Do you mind sharing your stats?
So, my app was mailed out on 7/2/15 (2nd batch). I'm a California resident and I have a 3.47 oGPA and a 3.38 sGPA and my DAT was 20AA, 20TS, 22PAT and 21RC. I also have a good handful of EC's and lots of research ^^

Just got the call this morning too!!! Almost cried of happiness :soexcited: I'll be there Oct. 3! See y'all there :D

I'm a California resident and have a 3.67 GPA, 3.9sGPA. DAT: 19 AA, 19 PAT with plenty of community service/ECs.

SO excited!! I'm OOS but my interview is on Oct. 3rd too, so I'll see you there! Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels nearby or which airport would be best to fly into?

Thanks!

SO excited!! I'm OOS but my interview is on Oct. 3rd too, so I'll see you there! Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels nearby or which airport would be best to fly into?

Thanks!

Look for hotels around the Ontario Mills Airport! That airport is like a 15 min drive from Western. Congrats on your interview!

Look for hotels around the Ontario Mills Airport! That airport is like a 15 min drive from Western. Congrats on your interview!

Agreed I wouldn't stay anywhere near the school haha

Did they give you a date or did they let you pick?
They gave me a date for October 3rd but I requested another date. They also have October 23rd. Those are the only 2 dates they are offering right now.

Just received an email.

"This email is to let you know that your application is still with the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee. It is possible that the Committee hasn't reviewed your application yet or they have made a decision and haven't informed us yet."

Not sure what this means. I guess its better than a rejection.

Just received an email.

"This email is to let you know that your application is still with the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee. It is possible that the Committee hasn't reviewed your application yet or they have made a decision and haven't informed us yet."

I just got the exact email. Sounds like we have been waitlisted :/

Not really sure what to make of it

Just received an email.

Just got it too