*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PS: 13
BS: 14
VR: 8
35Q

Duke University---physics major
GPA ~ 3.8
BCPM ~3.7

EC:
-2 years of hospital volunteering
-6 months of research
-TA for introductory physics
-spring break in uruguay to build houses
-involvement in Duke SmartHome for 1.5 years
-fraternity
-Meet with a rabbi once a week for one-on-one discussions
-not-for-credit jewish class online

I'm a bit worried about my verbal score and how it makes me look imbalanced. I was hoping for top-tier schools.....I'm still a junior, so any advice on how to beef up my application and/or perhaps make my verbal seem less noticeable?

Members don't see this ad.

35Q

GPA ~ 3.8
BCPM ~3.7

EC:
-6 months of research
-fraternity

I'm a bit worried about my verbal score and how it makes me look imbalanced. I was hoping for top-tier schools.....I'm still a junior, so any advice on how to beef up my application and/or perhaps make my verbal seem less noticeable?

You are gold with stats man. Don't worry about the 8, Just work on EC's such as clinical work and research. Publish a paper and you have a decent shot at top-tier

3.78/30

Hospital volunteering & shadowing

My secondaries are all delayed because of LOR problems. Won't be ready till October 1st most likely. How costly is this?

And why does it take LOR writers over a month and a half to write a one page letter? Way to singlehandedly ruin my application.

That is cutting it close since you won't have your LORs till Oct 1. But don't despair since some schools just sent out secondaries in September itself. Just ruch those LORs in. Stats are decent, you have a shot at getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hii

My MCAT score will release on SEPT 19

I have submitted my application and it has been processes few days back.

BCPM: 3.91; AO: 3.83

I have submitted secondaries for 2 school: MCG ,NYMC and MUSC

ACADEMIC HISTORY:

I have BAchelors in Engg. from India and after conversion GPA: 2.47
Because AMCAS doesnot require any information if courses are not transferred to U.S. college, I have not posted U.S.conversion for each course on AMCAS.

I have taken 76 hrs of classes since JAn'06 at Augusta State University as a Post-BAcc student.
my BCPM: 3.91
over all: 3.83

I will have 100 hrs by the end of SP'08 along with 2 semesters of research in org.chem.

I have made ~ 30 in practice.

Do u think medical college will consider Indian college performance over U.S. college ?

what r my chances?

Thank You

How many semester units have you taken in the US? You have a high GPA here, but is it only 1 or 2 semesters or is it more like 2 years?

Hii

MCAT : 30 O
BS: 12, PS: 11; VR: 07

Permanent Resident of US and Georgia resident

I have submitted secondaries for school: MCG ,NYMC, Mercer, Temple and MUSC

ACADEMIC HISTORY:

Because AMCAS doesnot require any information if courses are not transferred to U.S. college, I have not posted U.S.conversion for each course on AMCAS.

I have taken 76 hrs of classes since JAn'06 at Augusta State University as a Post-BAcc student.

I will have 100 hrs by the end of SP'08.

Do u think medical college will consider Indian college performance over U.S. college ?

what r my chances at the above colleges?
MCG most preferred

I'm been gripped by this colossal, bone-chilling paranoia now that I have post-secondary rejection #1 (Chicago)... :eek: Any feedback on http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8058? I had decided not to apply to
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Brown University
George Washington University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University
but now I am wondering if I should reconsider. I would love your advice :confused:. Thank you!

Hii

MCAT : 30 O
BS: 12, PS: 11; VR: 07

I have submitted secondaries for school: MCG ,NYMC, Mercer, Temple and MUSC

ACADEMIC HISTORY:

I will have 100 hrs by the end of SP'08.

what r my chances at the above colleges?
MCG most preferred

Sounds solid to me. You have a good MCAT, and if MCG is preferred you should get in if you are a georgia resident? Did you establish permanant residency in Georgia? If you did, then you definitly have a good shot at MCG. I'm not sure about how they will look at your grades from India.

I'm been gripped by this colossal, bone-chilling paranoia now that I have post-secondary rejection #1 (Chicago)... :eek: Any feedback on http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8058? I had decided not to apply to
Brown University
Rush Medical College
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University
but now I am wondering if I should reconsider. I would love your advice :confused:. Thank you!

Get out of here, U of Chicago is just a really hard school to get into, and its your only rejection. If you got straight up rejected from RFU or AECOM first instead of U of Chicago then I would worry. Just tough luck for U of Chicago.

Brown University
Rush Medical College
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University

relax. i'm sure you'll be fine. :luck:

Brown University
Rush Medical College
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University

I think 37 schools is enough with 3.7/36 :p

Hello all!
bcpm 3.5
MCAT: 34Q (all sections over 10)
EC: volunteer english tutor, clinical research

I just completed my secondaries at half of the schools i applied to and my letters should arrive at my schools within 2-3 days. I just wondering if I still have a chance this year at getting into schools like downstate and stony brook U. I have several secondaries yet to fill, and i dont know if i should just withdraw my applications and boost up my EC's for the next cycle or if i should just go through with it. would love to hear your advice

Will someone evaluate me?

Here's My Story:

College: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Postbac at Columbia University
Total GPA 3.45, BCPM 3.6

MCAT:
may 31'st test 27N (PS 8 VR 9 BS 10 WS N)
aug 9th test 33R (PS 12 VR 10 BS 11 WS R)

4 summers of volunteer work at 3 different special needs schools and hospitals

1 year of shadowing doctors at St. Luke's hospital

1 year of psychology lab work

currently working in a radiology lab

NY Resident:
Stony Brook
Buffalo
NYU
Columbia
Rochester
Yale
Einstein
mount Sinai
GW
downstate
Drexel
UPenn
Jefferson
penn state
BU
Cornell
Ny medical college
upstate
University of Wisconsin
Albany
UMDNJ

Thoughts on my schools, chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will someone evaluate me?

Here's My Story:

College: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Postbac at Columbia University
Total GPA 3.45, BCPM 3.6

MCAT:
may 31'st test 27N (PS 8 VR 9 BS 10 WS N)
aug 9th test 33R (PS 12 VR 10 BS 11 WS R)

4 summers of volunteer work at 3 different special needs schools and hospitals

1 year of shadowing doctors at St. Luke's hospital

1 year of psychology lab work

currently working in a radiology lab

NY Resident:
Stony Brook
Buffalo
NYU
Columbia
Rochester
Yale
Einstein
mount Sinai
GW
downstate
Drexel
UPenn
Jefferson
penn state
BU
Cornell
Ny medical college
upstate
University of Wisconsin
Albany
UMDNJ

Thoughts on my schools, chances?

I might add a few more schools but your app seems fairly solid.

35Q

GPA ~ 3.8
BCPM ~3.7

EC:
-6 months of research
-fraternity

Don't worry about the verbal. 8 is fine and your science scores are good. There's no way you should retake that score. GPA/ECs seem good, if your LORs are fine, I would apply to top tier schools. Add some mid-tier and apply to your state schools and you should be good to go.

My GPA is 3.34 currently, but over the next year I hope to raise it to a 3.67 by June 2007 when I apply. I am a human biology major at UCSD. I will be graduating in three years. I have been volunteering in a cancer research lab during the summer and will be continuing until I graduate (about 10 hours/week during the school year). I will have my name on a published paper, as soon as we finalize the results, and I will probably have my name on more papers (my lab is really great about this). I also just started volunteering at a horseback riding program for those with disabilities. Hopefully by the time I apply, I will have at least 250 hours volunteering there. I am also a part of several premedical clubs on campus. This year I will be shadowing several doctors (varying specialties). I did one year of collegiate rowing, but will not be doing it anymore (need more time to study!). But I will be training for a marathon, which take lots of dedication. I am interested in Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine and maybe UCSF, UCD, and UCI. What kind of MCAT scores do I need to have a good chance to get into these schools? What else should I be doing to become a better applicant? What other schools would I have a chance of getting into? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Here goes:eek::

Female- Native American/ White
Science GPA: 3.8
Non-science: 3.67 (I had one F, without that it would be 3.93)
MCAT: 27L (...:mad:)

Other stuff:
~volunteer for 2 years @ hospital
~undergrad research- sequence complete bacterial genome, future publication (in editing)
~Currently (1 yr) full-time job as biological scientist at my university- biomanufacturing and research facility, we are developing gene therapy products from mammalian cell culture and viral production
~volunteer calculus tutor, one semester
~worked full-time as server for freshman year and part of soph
~VP of honor society
~shadowed once for 3 hours in ER, looking to get more
~5 pres. list and 1 academic scholar award
~certified in BLS for HCP

I am hoping to go to any school in FL, if not close.
Also considering St.George's in Grenada- would love the experience of living in another country.

Please advise! Thanks!!

Education
Two undergrad degrees: Biology and Biochemistry
Masters degree: Chemical Engineering
Dean's List 11 times

Research
Two years significant biomedical research (vascular engineering)
First author in related biomedical publication
Poster presentation at two conferences

EC's
College football
Volunteer work for Chief Deputy Med Examiner (autopsy assistant)
Shadowing (ophthalmology)
Taught "Medical Science For Engineers" Laboratory

MCAT
37M (PS 14; VS 10; BS 13)

The clincher: Horrible grades at the beginning of my academic career led to a far from stellar cum gpa of 3.2 :barf:. Much of this was do to the rigorous demands associated with playing ball, and I mentioned this in my personal statement, but still! I have a whole bunch of C's early on and some D's, too.

Anybody have any comments?????

3.78/30

Hospital volunteering & shadowing

My secondaries are all delayed because of LOR problems. Won't be ready till October 1st most likely. How costly is this?

And why does it take LOR writers over a month and a half to write a one page letter? Way to singlehandedly ruin my application.

Same here

same score , same GPA same problem

Race/Sex: White/Male
Residence: Michigan
Major: Chemistry GPA: 3.93
Sci GPA: 3.90
MCAT: 31S (10,10,11)

ECs:
1yr of research, not published or anything
200+ hrs volunteering in hospitals
50+ hrs of physician shadowing
2yrs being an RA in dorm over
3,000 hours working full-time in convicted offender clinic psych unit
2yrs working as a tutor for student-athletes

Applied schools: albany case western drexel george washington georgetown jefferson loyola medical coll. of wisc mich. st (md) mich. st (do) nymc penn st. rosalind franklin suny upstate temple ohio st. cincinnati illinois iowa wisconsin wayne state

(should I add more schools? Not submit secondaries to some of schools above?

Big concerns:
1)I'm not verified yet by aamc; I submitted a week ago. I know this is a cardinal sin, so no need to patronize for me for it
2)my mcat--much lower than practice scores, not sure what happened. Oh well, I don't care about going to a prestigious school and I don't want to retake it, I'd just like to get in this year.

Do I stand a chance? Thanks.

I think your MCAT and everything else sounds great. Your only problem will be your late application. Accordingly, I would recommend submitting every single one of those apps, and getting the secondaries in asap. I would think that you should have a decent shot at your state schools (and maybe even a few others - you never know). Good luck!

My GPA is 3.34 currently, but over the next year I hope to raise it to a 3.67 by June 2007 when I apply. I am a human biology major at UCSD. I will be graduating in three years. I have been volunteering in a cancer research lab during the summer and will be continuing until I graduate (about 10 hours/week during the school year). I will have my name on a published paper, as soon as we finalize the results, and I will probably have my name on more papers (my lab is really great about this). I also just started volunteering at a horseback riding program for those with disabilities. Hopefully by the time I apply, I will have at least 250 hours volunteering there. I am also a part of several premedical clubs on campus. This year I will be shadowing several doctors (varying specialties). I did one year of collegiate rowing, but will not be doing it anymore (need more time to study!). But I will be training for a marathon, which take lots of dedication. I am interested in Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine and maybe UCSF, UCD, and UCI. What kind of MCAT scores do I need to have a good chance to get into these schools? What else should I be doing to become a better applicant? What other schools would I have a chance of getting into? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

This thread is primarily for people applying this year. I'm a little confused since you said that you'll be working on your gpa for the next year and hope it will be higher by June 2007 when you apply. We're already in September 2007. Also, you said you won't be graduating for three more years, so I'm not sure why you'd be applying in one year unless it's through a special program or something at your school. Regardless, just keep up your great activities, get the best grades you can, and study hard for the MCAT and do your best. State of residence will also have a big impact on where you've got a good chance. Much harder to get into CA schools without CA residency. Good luck.

Other stuff:
~undergrad research- sequence complete bacterial genome, future publication (in editing)
~Currently (1 yr) full-time job as biological scientist at my university- biomanufacturing and research facility, we are developing gene therapy products from mammalian cell culture and viral production
~VP of honor society

Also considering St.George's in Grenada- would love the experience of living in another country.

Please advise! Thanks!!

I'm assuming that you're a FL resident. If so, that's a definitely plus. I've heard their state schools mainly take instate applicants, so your stats don't have to be stellar to get in. Also, if you checked the "native american" box on AMCAS, I would think that you have an even better chance since you'd be considered a minority applicant. Everything about your app sounds great (I can't imagine that one F with all other grades being great will tank your app - hopefully you have a good reason in case they ask what happened). Your only weakness is your MCAT. But I think it's certainly possible to get in with a 27 in FL. Especially given your situation.

Regarding living in another country, I would recommend that you get that experience some way other than going to medical school abroad - unless you have to. It's supposedly a much harder road to travel in order to practice in the US. Why don't you consider going on some type of program or travel abroad for a couple of months this year, or delay applying to med school for a year to do so (and in the mean time, you could consider retaking the MCAT). Anyway, regardless, good luck!

Education
Two undergrad degrees: Biology and Biochemistry
Masters degree: Chemical Engineering
Dean's List 11 times

Research
Two years significant biomedical research (vascular engineering)
First author in related biomedical publication
Poster presentation at two conferences

EC's
College football
Volunteer work for Chief Deputy Med Examiner (autopsy assistant)
Shadowing (ophthalmology)
Taught "Medical Science For Engineers" Laboratory

MCAT
37M (PS 14; VS 10; BS 13)

The clincher: Horrible grades at the beginning of my academic career led to a far from stellar cum gpa of 3.2 :barf:. Much of this was do to the rigorous demands associated with playing ball, and I mentioned this in my personal statement, but still! I have a whole bunch of C's early on and some D's, too.

Anybody have any comments?????

I think you need to give more info first. What is your state of residency? Where have you applied? And are your apps in yet, or have you not yet submitted?

Don't get set on just one school, your numbers are below average for almost all US medical schools, Apply early and broadly.

Phoenix, all my secondaries are in and most files are complete. I applied to:

Albany Medical College
Baylor
Boston U.
Columbia
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson Med of Thomas Jefferson U
Michigan State
New York Med
OHSU (Oregon resident)
Rosalind Franklin
RUSH
SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Illinois @ Chicago
Wright State

Other stuff:
~VP of honor society

Please advise! Thanks!!

Is there anywhere outside of Florida I should apply to with these stats (with that MCAT...)?

Phoenix, all my secondaries are in and most files are complete. I applied to:

Albany Medical College
Baylor
Boston U.
Columbia
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson Med of Thomas Jefferson U
Michigan State
New York Med
OHSU (Oregon resident)
Rosalind Franklin
RUSH
SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Illinois @ Chicago
Wright State

Considering that you applied relatively early and everything about your app is stellar except your gpa (which is due to early bad grades with an upward trend), I think you'll be ok. (Hopefully your science gpa isn't too much lower). That's an excellent MCAT, of course, and I think that it will help to offset your gpa a little. Provided you have a great personal statement and good LORs, I think you're ok. I probably would have added a few more to be on the safe side (maybe Temple, Wayne State, more SUNYs, UVM (if you're an older non-trad student - they seem to like them), etc.), but again, you're probably fine. However, if you are dead-set on getting in this year and would be interested in a DO school, it might be a good idea to apply to one in your area (if there is one). I really think that the rest of your app is excellent, and that adcoms should be interested in you if they look past your gpa (which some should do), but I'm also a little paranoid about this whole process and would want to cover all bases. Regardless, I hope you get a ton of interviews - I think the hardest part will be getting the interviews, but once you do, if you interview well, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Sex: male
residence: VA
Ethnicity: Hispanic-- Cuban (not considered URM)

Cumm: 3.32
BCPM: 3.81
MCAT: 12VR, 10PS, 9BS, R

BA, Liberal Arts
Post-Bac for pre-reqs

ECs:
3+ years ER Tech
1 yr research assistant
classical guitarist
club soccer
volunteer religious ed. facilitator
Latino award for academic excellence
etc.

Other:
strong interview skills (so says my pre-med advisor)
solid LOR, including from physician that I worked with

Applying to:
UVA
VCU
EVMS
Georgetown
GWU
U Md.
Wake Forrest
Duke
Temple
NYMC
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Med Col Wisc.
Miami

I'd love to go to UVA, What do y'all think?

Sex: male
residence: VA
Ethnicity: Hispanic-- Cuban (not considered URM)

Cumm: 3.32
BCPM: 3.81
MCAT: 12VR, 10PS, 9BS, R

BA, Liberal Arts
Post-Bac for pre-reqs

ECs:
3+ years ER Tech
1 yr research assistant
classical guitarist
club soccer
volunteer religious ed. facilitator
Latino award for academic excellence
etc.

Other:
strong interview skills (so says my pre-med advisor)
solid LOR, including from physician that I worked with

Applying to:
UVA
VCU
EVMS
Georgetown
GWU
U Md.
Wake Forrest
Duke
Temple
NYMC
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Med Col Wisc.
Miami

I'd love to go to UVA, What do y'all think?

Well, you've already got three interviews, so it sounds like you're doing quite well. As for a specific school, like UVA, you never know. I think your stats are a little low for UVA, but you're a VA resident, which should help a little. If I were you, and you know that's your first choice, I'd write them a letter of interest or intent (depending on how you feel) so they know it is. Good luck.

Thanks, Phoenix!
Yeah, I know that I am a little low for UVA.
I was only complete there on 9/20 (missing tax forms to prove residency), do you think that it is too early to send an LOI?

Hi, hello!

Major: Biomedical Engineering
GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 10 VR (ouchy), 12 PS, 14 BS, M (another ouchy)
Other Stuff: Pre-med stuff [research (awards for research, scholarships for research), volunteering, shadowing etc etc] as well as on a nationally ranked competitive team

My dream school is Uchicago (but Northwestern will do, I'm in love with Chicago the city).

Chances?

School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad Major: Molecular Cell Biology
Undergrad GPA: BCPM - 3.7 cum - 3.6

MCAT 35

EC's
2 Working as EMT
2 Years Working as Certified Nurse Assistant
3 year of shadowing a doctor
3 years of volunteering at local hospital
400+ hours of working as volunteer
2 years of genetics research
- no publication yet =/
President of a service club
President of youth church association
-Students and many doctors go to Mexico to provide medical services and other relief

Awards:
Best Worker of the Month(emt)
Volunteer of the month
Perfect Attendance for EMT(Does this matter haha)

LORs- 1=Chanchellor(maybe?), 1=Undergrad Non Science Prof, 1=Science Professor, 1=Research Center Head, 1=MD from Shadowing

Schools I am planning to apply:
(I am a resident)

UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
USC
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Boston

What Are my Chances?
Thank you for your time!

Thanks, Phoenix!
Yeah, I know that I am a little low for UVA.
I was only complete there on 9/20 (missing tax forms to prove residency), do you think that it is too early to send an LOI?

Go ahead. I think the consensus is that an LOI can't hurt you (but can only help you), and that there's technically no time that is too early. Good luck!

Hi, hello!

Major: Biomedical Engineering
GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 10 VR (ouchy), 12 PS, 14 BS, M (another ouchy)
Other Stuff: Pre-med stuff [research (awards for research, scholarships for research), volunteering, shadowing etc etc] as well as on a nationally ranked competitive team

My dream school is Uchicago (but Northwestern will do, I'm in love with Chicago the city).

Chances?

You have great stats (I don't think that 10 VR is an issue at all), but if you look at the rejection thread, you'll see that UofC rejects people with stellar stats, stellar activities, etc. It's really hard to know that you'll get an interview there, let alone accepted. Whether you're a really good fit there (from their perspective) will probably carry a lot of weight. Ditto with NWU - your stats are competitive, but it's really hard to gauge chances at a specific school. I'm assuming you're not an IL resident or you might have mentioned it? There are other Chicago schools, but I'm assuming that you're not interested in them. Good luck - I hope you get in to UofC! They're generally pretty quick at reviewing apps, so you should hear soon. NWU, on the other hand, probably won't let you know anything unless it's an invite.

School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad Major: Molecular Cell Biology
Undergrad GPA: BCPM - 3.7 cum - 3.6

MCAT 35

EC's
2 Working as EMT
2 Years Working as Certified Nurse Assistant
3 year of shadowing a doctor
3 years of volunteering at local hospital
400+ hours of working as volunteer
2 years of genetics research
- no publication yet =/
President of a service club
President of youth church association
-Students and many doctors go to Mexico to provide medical services and other relief

Awards:
Best Worker of the Month(emt)
Volunteer of the month
Perfect Attendance for EMT(Does this matter haha)

LORs- 1=Chanchellor(maybe?), 1=Undergrad Non Science Prof, 1=Science Professor, 1=Research Center Head, 1=MD from Shadowing

Schools I am planning to apply:
(I am a resident)

UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
USC
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Boston

What Are my Chances?
Thank you for your time!

You're "a resident" - of where?! I'm assuming CA. If so, I'd apply much more broadly if I were you, just in case. Great app, but CA is tough, and some small part of this is a crap shoot. I'd definitely add a few more schools that you'd actually be interested in rather than reapplying next year just in case. BU and Georgetown get inundated with applications, so I wouldn't really count on them as safeties. And that leaves you with only three other schools (other than the CA school). I really think you should add a few more for peace of mind.... You've got a great application though, so hopefully you'll get into a CA school regardless!

Any feedback/ suggestions please?? Thanks!! :)

hey everyone, (sorry if I'm really posting in the wrong place!)

I re-took the MCAT august 14th, here's my old + new score...

August 2006

PS-13
VR-7 :(
BS-11
WS- R

August 2007
PS:12
VR:8
BS: 11
WS: S
Total: 31S

I'm not really happy bcause of that whack VR score, again.

AMCAS sent my scores out to all the schools I've applied to. I've applied to about 40 schools, all East side, very few/ none (its kinda ambiguous) of them top tier (but all good schools).

I've also sent out my secondaries and everything, with letters about a couple of days ago. Do you think my chances are ok? Any advice please?

cGPA- 3.84 ,science GPA- 3.82 completed Biochem degree
Some details about me...

I'm a NY resident. Heres some of the activities I submitted to AMCAS:

-Retinoblastoma Assistant Researcher (2 summers)

-Research Paper, Published in JOGC
-Biochemistry Honors Project
-Teach for Kaplan
-Biochemistry Seminar & Conference Presentations
-Recreational Basketball and Soccer -Calculus Tutor
-Patient Care Services (in clinics, hospitals, etc—lots)
-University Admission Scholarships
-Dean’s List; Golden Key Intn’l Honor Society
-Computer Consultant

Any tips please!? Thanks! ;D

Jess8000, it's always better to apply earlier rather than later, but I think that with your great gpa and ECs, and a good MCAT (30+ and no less than an 8 in any one section), and especially applying very broadly (40 schools!) within your range, that you'll be fine. Especially given your NY residence. You guys have a bunch of really good, accessible schools. All you can do at this point is to follow-up on your status to make sure that your letters are all received and logged in and that nothing holds you up from being deemed complete. You could also send some update letters down the road.... Otherwise, just sit tight - you've done everything you can do now for now and I think that you'll definitely get some invites provided your personal statement and LORs were good too. Good luck!

Thanks for replying Phoenix! :D

Jess8000, it's always better to apply earlier rather than later, but I think that with your great gpa and ECs, and a good MCAT (30+ and no less than an 8 in any one section), and especially applying very broadly (40 schools!) within your range, that you'll be fine. Especially given your NY residence. You guys have a bunch of really good, accessible schools. All you can do at this point is to follow-up on your status to make sure that your letters are all received and logged in and that nothing holds you up from being deemed complete. You could also send some update letters down the road.... Otherwise, just sit tight - you've done everything you can do now for now and I think that you'll definitely get some invites provided your personal statement and LORs were good too. Good luck!

hello, My mcat score is okay, but I am not complete at any of the schools I have applied to this year yet, I feel that my weak gpa and ECs (working on improving them right now) put me at a disadvantage, and I'm wondering if i should save the money on my remaining secondaries (~6) for the next cycle, or should I just go for it? :confused:
Home State:
NY
Application Year: 2008
MCAT Score: VR 10, PS 11, BS 13, P
BCPM GPA: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.44

Brief Profile:
8 months clinical research
study abroad 1 year
KSA
Worked part time at various jobs throughout college

Feedback would be much appreciated! Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.79 at a top 10 school
Science GPA: 3.67
Major in Chemistry, conc. in Pharmacology

MCAT 35Q (Phys 13, VR 10, Bio 12)

1 year and 1 summer of independent study research in biochemistry and organic chemistry
3 years of hospital volunteer service
40 hours shadowing experience
Multiple community service and leadership activities

Looking at applying to California schools (Stanford, UCSF, etc.) even though I'm a Colorado resident... do I have a chance?

Does the 10 on VR hurt my application substantially?

Male- White
Science GPA: 3.71
Non-science: 3.83
MCAT: 36O PS13 BS12 VR11
Biochemistry Major

Other stuff:
~volunteer for over 500 hours about 300 of which was in a clinical setting.
~undergrad research- for 2 years
~Study Abroad in developing country (volunteered in hospital where i was able to participate in minor surgery, such as c-section)
~Magna Cum Laude
~Plan on taking a gap year to either complete my research (attempt at publication) or volunteer abroad
~Can speak spanish

I am looking to go to school in the northeast with columbia and cornell being my top choices and then SUNY stonybrook followed by SUNY Downstate and Yale. I know thats a short list and ill apply to more but those are the ones that i would prefer to go to.

Please let me know how i can improve my application especially during my gap year.

Thanks

stats
White Male
Biology Major
Theology Minor
MCAT 34M (10PS 11VR 13BS)
GPA 3.95
Science 3.93

-Graduated High School May 04 college dec 06. took classes every summer did a summer research project in drug development of analgesics
-Medical Missions to Guatemala for a month for two summers (medical histories translations)
-Volunteered at Hispanic Clinic for a year 5 hrs/wk for a year doing triage and translation
-Involved with various honor society (National Biological one was VP of my chapter last semester)
-Who's Who Deans List etc
-Department of Bio award
-Tutoring
-TA for anatomy for 2yrs
-2 Semester co-taught and mentored freshmen class
-Research with prof in improving G chem lab curriculum
-Currently out of school and working with Department of Defense doing anti-warfare agent research
-Taking Graduate Biostats at ivy-league school nearby

LOR (Two Faculty, PI for summer, Physician I volunteered with for a year and went to guatemala with)

Ive had several interviews already but I'm kind of worried because I applied last year as MD/PhD student and was deferred to MD because of lack of research experience. Those that referred me pre november all interviewed me and they all wait listed me. NYU/Dartmouth/U Rochester/ Duke Those that did so after November usually told me something along the lines of we're closing interview invitations sorry etc. So I'm wondering if I got a shot at actually getting into these schools or others such as Pitt Penn etc. Will those that wait listed me be willing to reconsider my app with new grad classes/job and more clinical experience? I got about another 7months clinical experience and another medical mission since last application. I'm just curious because it seemed like I got a rush of invitations and now it's been 3 weeks without any word from any of the other 12 schools I have.

stats
White Male
Biology Major
Theology Minor
MCAT 34M (10PS 11VR 13BS)
GPA 3.95
Science 3.93

-Graduated High School May 04 college dec 06. took classes every summer did a summer research project in drug development of analgesics
-Medical Missions to Guatemala for a month for two summers (medical histories translations)
-Volunteered at Hispanic Clinic for a year 5 hrs/wk for a year doing triage and translation
-Involved with various honor society (National Biological one was VP of my chapter last semester)
-Who's Who Deans List etc
-Department of Bio award
-Tutoring
-TA for anatomy for 2yrs
-2 Semester co-taught and mentored freshmen class
-Research with prof in improving G chem lab curriculum
-Currently out of school and working with Department of Defense doing anti-warfare agent research
-Taking Graduate Biostats at ivy-league school nearby

LOR (Two Faculty, PI for summer, Physician I volunteered with for a year and went to guatemala with)

Ive had several interviews already but I'm kind of worried because I applied last year as MD/PhD student and was deferred to MD because of lack of research experience. Those that referred me pre november all interviewed me and they all wait listed me. NYU/Dartmouth/U Rochester/ Duke Those that did so after November usually told me something along the lines of we're closing interview invitations sorry etc. So I'm wondering if I got a shot at actually getting into these schools or others such as Pitt Penn etc. Will those that wait listed me be willing to reconsider my app with new grad classes/job and more clinical experience? I got about another 7months clinical experience and another medical mission since last application. I'm just curious because it seemed like I got a rush of invitations and now it's been 3 weeks without any word from any of the other 12 schools I have.

Are you applying MD or MD/PhD?

I had a 3.26 GPA, about the same for science and non-. I took the 9/11 MCAT and should get a score in the Mid-30s. I have decent LORs and ECs, probably a little better than average. I should should also note that I got a D in OCHEM2.
I finished my AMCAS and had planned to apply to about 20 lower tier schools. But now I'm starting to seriously consider the alternatives. Three questions: Do I have any chance of getting into a US MD school? What are the best ways to improve my chances before reapplying next year? (Please be specific here, as in, particular degree programs, etc.) What are the top 5 international schools?

I had a 3.26 GPA, about the same for science and non-. I took the 9/11 MCAT and should get a score in the Mid-30s. I have decent LORs and ECs, probably a little better than average. I should should also note that I got a D in OCHEM2.
I finished my AMCAS and had planned to apply to about 20 lower tier schools. But now I'm starting to seriously consider the alternatives. Three questions: Do I have any chance of getting into a US MD school? What are the best ways to improve my chances before reapplying next year? (Please be specific here, as in, particular degree programs, etc.) What are the top 5 international schools?

Get your mid 30 then decide what to do. I wouldn't apply this late in the cycle, though. Did you already submit your AMCAS?

Get your mid 30 then decide what to do. I wouldn't apply this late in the cycle, though. Did you already submit your AMCAS?

I have everything ready, just need to press the button. Is there any harm in applying besides wasted time/money?

I have everything ready, just need to press the button. Is there any harm in applying besides wasted time/money?

Yes, you have to reapply as a reapplicant next year if you don't get in and if you don't have significant improvement it will greatly hurt your chances of gaining an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.