*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. She will be competitive this year if she applies now and has her secondaries ready to go ASAP.

Just wanted to point out that I am a "he" jamilla :), but thank you for the vote of confidence, greatly appreciated in this time of depression and need.
And drizzt, my plan was to apply next year because it is super late, but it was more so because I wanted to take a semester off and travel, I was debating applying now, but was not sure since as you pointed out it is sooooooooooo late and my stats are not exceptional. I wanted to make sure that my stats would be competitive next year seeing as how the average scores of getting in increase every year and also I do have a few bumps in my application (the D and overall poor performance during my sophmore and 1st semester junior year). Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to point out that I am a "he" jamilla :), but thank you for the vote of confidence, greatly appreciated in this time of depression and need.
And drizzt, my plan was to apply next year because it is super late, but it was more so because I wanted to take a semester off and travel, I was debating applying now, but was not sure since as you pointed out it is sooooooooooo late and my stats are not exceptional. I wanted to make sure that my stats would be competitive next year seeing as how the average scores of getting in increase every year and also I do have a few bumps in my application (the D and overall poor performance during my sophmore and 1st semester junior year). Thanks for the input.

I think if you apply early next cycle you should get quite a bit of interest especially if you can use the extra year to improve anything in your app. I think that would be a better idea and you can use the money you're going to save on AMCAS and secondaries to travel!

I am a new member so I'm not exactly sure how this all works but here goes nothing!

So I was wondering what your thoughts were on my chances for medical school this cycle.

I am a NY resident
Ivy League
3.4 cum gpa/ 3.37 BCMP

volunteer work in hospital
teaching health education to underprivileged children
on volunteer committee for student activities group
executive board of pre-health association
research for one summer
shadowing in Neonatology intensive care unit
worked in nursing home for summer
lifeguard

I have already applied to:
Albany
GWU
Creighton
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
NYMC
Einstein
Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Jefferson
U Wisconsin
U Vermont
RFU
Loyola
BU
Tufts

I know most of these our out of my league but my motto is you never know!

My situation is that I took my MCAT and received a 29N (9,10,10) but retook and got a 24M (8,7,9). Do you think schools with disregard my second score or should I assume I will be re-applying next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a new member so I'm not exactly sure how this all works but here goes nothing!

So I was wondering what your thoughts were on my chances for medical school this cycle.

I am a NY resident
Ivy League
3.4 cum gpa/ 3.37 BCMP

research for one summer
lifeguard

Albany
GWU
Creighton
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
NYMC
Einstein
Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Jefferson
U Wisconsin
U Vermont
RFU
Loyola
BU
Tufts

My situation is that I took my MCAT and received a 29N (9,10,10) but retook and got a 24M (8,7,9). Do you think schools with disregard my second score or should I assume I will be re-applying next year?

This is just my opinion but I think you have a shot at NYMC, Albany and GW (if you dont get put oh hold) and the state schools, maybe Drexel Temple and Tufts. I am not sure what their policies are for retakes..some schools take the highest score. You should research this or contact that schools. Also, are you interested with healthcare for underpriviledged/underrepresented patients?... I think GWU really looks favourably upon people who do.

I am a NY resident
Ivy League
3.4 cum gpa/ 3.37 BCMP

research for one summer
lifeguard

Albany
GWU
Creighton
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
NYMC
Einstein
Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Jefferson
U Wisconsin
U Vermont
RFU
Loyola
BU
Tufts

When did you submit? Were your practice scores significantly higher than 30 when you retook?

bellacnella: thanks for the vote of confidence!

drizzt3117: I had most of my secondaries submitted mid-august but because of a late LOR I wasn't complete at most until mid September. My practice scores weren't much higher than 30 for the second time around. I made such a huge mistake in re-taking, but I could not have predicted such a down fall. I think the exam was much more difficult and tested material I wasn't the best at. I should have voided!! oh man...this has really hurt my chances at a lot of schools didn't it? What are your thoughts in taking it a third time and reapplying?

I'd look into the policies of schools I am applying to/will apply to (if you don't get in). Some take the newest score, some average it, some take the highest. Schools that take newer or the average scores are obviously not ones you'd apply to with a 29 and a 24. Since that rules out a lot of schools, I'd ratek it and reapply next year, if you don't get in. Your GPA isn't high enough to overcome a low MCAT, and unfortunately even a 29 isn't really a high score anymore. Good luck, hopefully you'll get in somewhere this cycle and won't have to worry about reapplying.

bellacnella: thanks for the vote of confidence!

drizzt3117: I had most of my secondaries submitted mid-august but because of a late LOR I wasn't complete at most until mid September. My practice scores weren't much higher than 30 for the second time around. I made such a huge mistake in re-taking, but I could not have predicted such a down fall. I think the exam was much more difficult and tested material I wasn't the best at. I should have voided!! oh man...this has really hurt my chances at a lot of schools didn't it? What are your thoughts in taking it a third time and reapplying?

Lotus08:

To be totally honest, yes, it most likely greatly hurt your chances. If you're a retester, schools expect you to do better, since you've taken the test before and presumably have had more time to study, so even scoring the same score on your retake would not be a positive sign, and scoring five points lower is nothing short of disastrous because it brings up the possibility that your FIRST score was a fluke, not your second.

Hopefully you will be able to get in this cycle, although my general sense is that your scores aren't competitive this late in the cycle. I'm not trying to be negative, and I wish you the best of luck, but a lot of people are going to tell you that it's going to be just fine, and I'm not necessarily sure that's what you want to hear if it's not the case.

I would recommend signing up for and taking classes to improve your GPA during this cycle, at least in the spring. If you end up being admitted then you can drop them if you want.

You are also in the range where you would probably strongly benefit from a SMP if you're not accepted this cycle. Even if you raised your GPA to 3.45 or so, you would still likely need a 32 or higher to be a very competitive applicant, especially at many of the schools on your list. If you attended a SMP and did well, your chances of getting an acceptance would be ~100%.

Even if you decide not to do a SMP or take classes, and just retake the MCAT, unless you score in the high 30s I would highly recommend applying more broadly and not applying to as many reach schools. Your chances at NYU, Columbia, Sinai, and Wisconsin OOS aren't going to be very high unless you are URM.

Okay, so I am new at this. Been kind of freaking out, as my family and friends don't quite get how competitive this is. Here is my situation:

UC Berkeley Grad.
3.97 GPA
37O MCAT

ECs:
6mo o-chem research
9mo cell biology research
1 yr post bacc full time stem cell research associate at UCLA (1 publication, though it was for a review, not original research)
2 summers assisting disabled person
10 mo hospital volunteering
study abroad for a year
waitressing 20 hrs/week while abroad and second half of college.

Schools:

UCLA
UC Davis
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
OHSU
Cornell
Yale
Dartmouth
Loyola - Chicago
U of Chicago
Wake Forest
Boston U
Harvard
Stanford
USC
Albert Einstein
Duke (maybe, I'm kinda pissed about all those essay questions)

I finished all the secondaries in mid-late September (a little late apparantly).

I'm a little worried about the ECs - I'm not typical in this sense. I feel my lack of leadership experience (although as a lab manager I lead quite a bit) and shadowing might hurt me a lot. But I'm really into and passionate about research. I'm also worried I didn't apply to enough safety schools.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:add safeties if you really feel you need it. looks like loyola is your only backup?....

Okay, so I am new at this. Been kind of freaking out, as my family and friends don't quite get how competitive this is. Here is my situation:

UC Berkeley Grad.
3.97 GPA
37O MCAT

ECs:
6mo o-chem research
9mo cell biology research
1 yr post bacc full time stem cell research associate at UCLA (1 publication, though it was for a review, not original research)
2 summers assisting disabled person
10 mo hospital volunteering
study abroad for a year
waitressing 20 hrs/week while abroad and second half of college.

Schools:

UCLA
UC Davis
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
OHSU
Cornell
Yale
Dartmouth
Loyola - Chicago
U of Chicago
Wake Forest
Boston U
Harvard
Stanford
USC
Albert Einstein
Duke (maybe, I'm kinda pissed about all those essay questions)

I finished all the secondaries in mid-late September (a little late apparantly).

I'm a little worried about the ECs - I'm not typical in this sense. I feel my lack of leadership experience (although as a lab manager I lead quite a bit) and shadowing might hurt me a lot. But I'm really into and passionate about research. I'm also worried I didn't apply to enough safety schools.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about your ECs, they are fine. IMO, you'll have a good shot to get into a top tier school.

Hi

-I got a 33 on my MCATs (8VR, 11BS, 14PS, English as a third language)
- Fluency in 3 languages (English, Russian and a minor language), proficiency in French, Spanish)
- Major: Biology, Neuroscience concentration, with honors. Minor: Chemistry
-GPA 3.33, Science - 3.22 (3.4 freshman year, 2.5 sophomore year (don't ask), 3.7 junior year)
-Almost 4 years of continuous (summers inclusive) lab experience at the same lab - 2nd author in a soon to be published Nature article, possibility of another publication, first author (NOT in nature)
-volunteering at a local library
-5-6 continuous EC activities
- IVY undergrad school (not that it matters...rather unfortunately)
- NO clinical experience

Applied LATE (applications were complete at most schools circa Sept 17) to:

Temple
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Pitssburgh
UPENN
Dartmouth
Tufts
Vermont
Albany
RWJMS

What are my chances? I know I have a louse GPA and an even lousier verbal score...

Thanks in advance

Major: Science, Technology and International Affairs/ International Health
Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
GPA: 3.2 science, 3.2 overall
mCAT: have not taken yet

EC:
-intern for well known international health organization
-officer for multiple clubs
-a LOT of volunteer work!
- held a job all 4 years

Research:
-epidemiology research assistant

Letters of Recommendation: Very Strong

Personal Statement: Very strong

What are my chances after 2 years in the peace corps. I honestly do not care where I go...I want to practice rural undeserved medicine and just want to get into a US accredited school!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0 w/ 3.9 in post-bacc and blood-bath in UG
40Q MCAT
Decent EC's (shadowing, LOR's, volunteering, 1 publication, etc. usual pre-med crap)

Where the hell should I apply? I'm obviously applying to my state schools (SC), but don't really know where to try past that - stats are too weird to line up w/ the MSAR (obviously).

were your academic scholarships suspended after freshman year? if so that might not look good.

You certainly are wellrounded but your overall will be an issue. Your BCPM is in better shape, but still not quite average. Not sure what to say, its a pretty clear cut case. You have a chance, but its not the best, especially since you're a californian. I'd suggest bumping that GPA some more, not sure how extensive your postbacc was, but are there more courses you can take?

No, was never suspended. I managed to keep it all my fours years (barely haha) and one semester even pulled off a 4.0 just to round up 1.5 of barely there grades to make the cut.

I have been taking classes since 2004 although not full time because I am also working full time. I am continuing to take classes and will do so throughout the application year. Obviously the return becomes more marginal as I continue to go through more and more classes....

I'm just a little depressed because I've gotten no interviews, no pre-interview holds, etc. I know it's "early" in the game but I'm complete at maybe 35% of the schools I applied to for about a month. No rejections either, though.

I'm already resigned to not getting in anywhere this year....:oops:

Major: Science, Technology and International Affairs/ International Health
Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
GPA: 3.2 science, 3.2 overall
mCAT: have not taken yet

EC:
-intern for well known international health organization
-officer for multiple clubs
-a LOT of volunteer work!
- held a job all 4 years

Research:
-epidemiology research assistant

Letters of Recommendation: Very Strong

Personal Statement: Very strong

What are my chances after 2 years in the peace corps. I honestly do not care where I go...I want to practice rural undeserved medicine and just want to get into a US accredited school!

If you can make a strong argument that you want to do rural medicine, apply to:

University of Nebraska
University of Minnesota - Duluth
University of North Dakota
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

They pride themselves on churning out PCPs that practice in rural or underserved communities. The Peace Corps thing would work in your favor. With a high MCAT score, you'd have a very good shot at WVSOM. Nebraska would be a long shot, because last time I looked, the GPA average there was around a 3.7.

3.58/30 is about the average for med school matriculants. Since today is October 8, the VAST majority of those average applicants have already submitted their AMCAS and been verified. I have no idea how long it takes to verify AMCAS at the moment but I'm not sure it can even be done fast enough for schools who have a Nov 1 secondary submission deadline. Applying right now is a waste of money unless you have 4.0/40 and even then you'll do worse than if you'd applied earlier.

I cannot think of a single school that has a Nov 1 secondary submission deadline... I think you might be confusing a deadline for AMCAS filing with deadlines for secondary completions, which typically are about a month after the AMCAS deadline.

Hi

-I got a 33 on my MCATs (8VR, 11BS, 14PS, English as a third language)
- Fluency in 3 languages (English, Russian and a minor language), proficiency in French, Spanish)
- Major: Biology, Neuroscience concentration, with honors. Minor: Chemistry
-GPA 3.33, Science - 3.22 (3.4 freshman year, 2.5 sophomore year (don't ask), 3.7 junior year)
-Almost 4 years of continuous (summers inclusive) lab experience at the same lab - 2nd author in a soon to be published Nature article, possibility of another publication, first author (NOT in nature)
-volunteering at a local library
-5-6 continuous EC activities
- IVY undergrad school (not that it matters...rather unfortunately)
- NO clinical experience

Applied LATE (applications were complete at most schools circa Sept 17) to:

Temple
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Pitssburgh
UPENN
Dartmouth
Tufts
Vermont
Albany
RWJMS

What are my chances? I know I have a louse GPA and an even lousier verbal score...

Thanks in advance

Privet

Canadian University (UBC)
BCPM GPA: 3.79, CUM GPA: 3.77
MCAT: 39Q (11V 14BS 14PS)

ECs:
Volunteer program coordinator at Inner city clinic ~2.5 yrs
Needle exchange volunteer ~2.5 yrs
Inner city Food distribution volunteer ~2.5 yrs
Piano teacher ~4 years
Child autism therapist ~1.5 years
Habitat for humanity volunteer ~0.5 years
Molecular biology research last summer, 1 publication coming out, not first author.
other leadership positions in various clubs in school.

Applying for:
Duke
Brown
Dartmouth
U of Wash
UCSF
UCLA
UCI
GWU
Penn State
Albert Einstein
USC

Although my ECs are not too strong, I have a passion for working with underserved populations, more so than research at least. :)
What are my chances?

I cannot think of a single school that has a Nov 1 secondary submission deadline... I think you might be confusing a deadline for AMCAS filing with deadlines for secondary completions, which typically are about a month after the AMCAS deadline.

Harvard has a Nov 1 secondary deadline. I'm sure it's not the only school that does. I don't feel like browsing through a lot of school websites to make a list, since I didn't apply late and it doesn't apply to me.

Most schools have 11/1 AMCAS deadlines, doubt many others have 2ndary deadlines around then.

Canadian University (UBC)
BCPM GPA: 3.79, CUM GPA: 3.77
MCAT: 39Q (11V 14BS 14PS)

ECs:
Volunteer program coordinator at Inner city clinic ~2.5 yrs
Needle exchange volunteer ~2.5 yrs
Inner city Food distribution volunteer ~2.5 yrs
Piano teacher ~4 years
Child autism therapist ~1.5 years
Habitat for humanity volunteer ~0.5 years
Molecular biology research last summer, 1 publication coming out, not first author.
other leadership positions in various clubs in school.

Applying for:
Duke
Brown
Dartmouth
U of Wash
UCSF
UCLA
UCI
GWU
Penn State
Albert Einstein
USC

Although my ECs are not too strong, I have a passion for working with underserved populations, more so than research at least. :)
What are my chances?

You have good stats, but as a Canadian, I'd apply to some schools with lower GPA/MCAT scores if you want a good shot at getting in. Namely:

NYMC
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
etc.

I'm really not too sure about where I should be applying. So I would love it if you guys could give me some suggestions. I'm currently a junior interested in an MD/PhD program with a focus on infectious disease and vaccine development.

The only real requirement I have about where I go is that it's not in louisiana (i've been here my whole life and I'm fairly tired of it) and has a decent rep.

MCAT
10 PS
10 VR
11 BS

I was getting b/w 34-37 on practice tests so I'm guessing I will retake, but not sure when.

GPA: 3.922 from private N.O. college
Science GPA: 4.0 (will go down this semester Biochem is a killer)

Work experience
I have been performing my own research project since May 07 on improving current stem cell treatment methods for neural tissue damage. Hopefully by senior year I can get it ready for publication. Also I am a senior staff member at the Housing and Residence Life department. Basically I help manage RAs and students who work at the front desks.
Before these two jobs I had been an RA and doing research each summer
Finally I will be doing a Co-op spring semester at GlaxoSmithKline

Awards
Various grant money for research
Goldwater scholarship

I would really appreciate any help in directing where I should look.

I'm really not too sure about where I should be applying. So I would love it if you guys could give me some suggestions. I'm currently a junior interested in an MD/PhD program with a focus on infectious disease and vaccine development.

The only real requirement I have about where I go is that it's not in louisiana (i've been here my whole life and I'm fairly tired of it) and has a decent rep.

MCAT
10 PS
10 VR
11 BS

I was getting b/w 34-37 on practice tests so I'm guessing I will retake, but not sure when.

Work experience
I have been performing my own research project since May 07 on improving current stem cell treatment methods for neural tissue damage. Hopefully by senior year I can get it ready for publication. Also I am a senior staff member at the Housing and Residence Life department. Basically I help manage RAs and students who work at the front desks.

Awards
Goldwater scholarship

Hey i am in your same shoes on the MCAT, scored much lower than my practices. Your GPA and MCAT are still solid enough for an acceptance, only retake if you are 100% sure you can pull out a 34, cause honestly retaking and only getting a 32 wont be worth it, and might be frowned upon.

Hey i am in your same shoes on the MCAT, scored much lower than my practices. Your GPA and MCAT are still solid enough for an acceptance, only retake if you are 100% sure you can pull out a 34, cause honestly retaking and only getting a 32 wont be worth it, and might be frowned upon.

Remember that this poster is looking at applying to MD/PhD where the average MCAT is 35. I would be retaking if I were them.

hello,

VR 7, PS 8, BS 8, WS O
23O

I know this is not the greatest score, but I am a non-trad student, with a 4.0 GPA in postbac work. Excellent ECs and excellent LORs. I also have a graduate degree with a 4.0 GPA in that as well.
I live in Michigan and am looking to get into any US MD school that will take me, in state or out of state.

Is there any hope for me without a retake? :confused:

MCAT
10 PS
10 VR
11 BS

Work experience

Awards
Goldwater scholarship

Great profile; good luck with the retake, I hope you hit 35.

please look on my mdapplicants page and tell me my chances in % points of getting into

1. UCSF
2. Stanford

honesty is appreciated, be harsh and judgmental

please look on my mdapplicants page and tell me my chances in % points of getting into

1. UCSF
2. Stanford

honesty is appreciated, be harsh and judgmental

Your numbers are great, but you know as well as anyone that with schools as great as Stanford or UCSF reject people with a 4.0/40. There really isn't any number for schools like those two that will give you a very likely chance of admission.

With that said, your numbers look very strong and should help you get your foot in the door. After that, you have to make yourself distinct from all the other high GPA/hight MCAT students applying there.

Your numbers are great, but you know as well as anyone that with schools as great as Stanford or UCSF reject people with a 4.0/40. There really isn't any number for schools like those two that will give you a very likely chance of admission.

With that said, your numbers look very strong and should help you get your foot in the door. After that, you have to make yourself distinct from all the other high GPA/hight MCAT students applying there.

thanks for the heads up, i would love to attend UCSF
i was doing a summer program at UCSF in 2007 at the Parnassus campus, do you think this will help me out a little bit if I have a strong rec from one of the med school professors there

oh, before that, do you think I will get a secondary at UCSF?

Your GPA is flawless and your MCAT is great, so there shouldn't really be a reason you wouldn't get a secondary. With that said, it's a really great school who gets flooded with apps from the best of the best, so you never know what could happen.

Be confident, though. You know you are a strong applicant, and there is no good reason why you shouldn't get a secondary.

Will you get in to Stanford or UCSF? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd be pretty damned confident in saying that you will get into some med school this cycle, and most likely a really good one.:thumbup:

Ok I know that this is very late in the cycle but I really wanted to wait until my mcat scores came out before I spent a bunch of money applying to a bunch of schools. I didn't do as well on the mcat as I had on practice tests but I really want to get in for 2008.

MCAT 9 PS; 9 V; 10 BS P WS 28P
GPA: 3.61 from private school

over a 1,000 volunteer hours over past 6 years
3 years volunteering at Arkansas Children's Hospital
1 year intern at pediatric clinic
tons of shadowing hours
worked 7 months in pharm/tox research lab at UAMS
worked over a year in micro/immunology research; publication pending
lots of ec's including leadership roles
strong LOR from college of medicine professors

I'm definitely applying to my state school in Arkansas but is there anywhere else that I should add? My primary is already in and verified. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please check out my MP Applicants page and give me some honest feedback about my chances at the schools I'm applying to. Thanks!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=9065

I plan to apply for matriculation in 2009. I'd appreciate advice on my weak points and what I need to work on to improve my chances of an acceptance.

You are in great shape. You have nothing to worry about!

Why do you plan on applying to so many out of state schools (Utah, U Mn etc?) . I think you'll be wasting your money doing so. Cut back on some of the OOS schools and add a few more selective ones.

Ok I know that this is very late in the cycle but I really wanted to wait until my mcat scores came out before I spent a bunch of money applying to a bunch of schools. I didn't do as well on the mcat as I had on practice tests but I really want to get in for 2008.

MCAT 9 PS; 9 V; 10 BS P WS 28P
GPA: 3.61 from private school

over a 1,000 volunteer hours over past 6 years
3 years volunteering at Arkansas Children's Hospital
1 year intern at pediatric clinic
tons of shadowing hours
worked 7 months in pharm/tox research lab at UAMS
worked over a year in micro/immunology research; publication pending
lots of ec's including leadership roles
strong LOR from college of medicine professors

I'm definitely applying to my state school in Arkansas but is there anywhere else that I should add? My primary is already in and verified. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You have solid stats overall. Check out a copy of MSAR and look for schools that select a good proportion of their students from out of state. Medical College of Wisconsin comes to mind. You have to get on this fast though, it's already getting kind of late.

Best of luck!

I would like some suggestions on my stats, chances, and things i can do in the coming months to improve my chances. Its all on my mdapps. thank you!

Please check out my MP Applicants page and give me some honest feedback about my chances at the schools I'm applying to. Thanks!

I think your chances at the schools you're applying to seem good in general, although your MCAT may be slightly on the low side for Wash U.

I would like some suggestions on my stats, chances, and things i can do in the coming months to improve my chances. Its all on my mdapps. thank you!

I think you're a really strong applicant for the schools on your list. If you aren't interested in top 25 research oriented schools (which it doesn't seem like you're applying to a lot of) then you should be fine with your current MCAT and great GPA. I would focus on working on your ECs, are you at all interested in global health?

Thanks Psychotropic and Drizzt for your advice!

Your application seems very strong. I would just do a bit more volunteering and shadowing. Do you have any pubs or global health experience?

I will definently try to get some more shadowing experience this year.

I should have my name as 3rd author on 1-2 papers, but I dont know if they will be published by the time I apply.

I dont have global health experience. But I have a small ammount of international research experience.

I was planning on applying to a research program this summer. If I do research, I can get in 40 hours a week for the whole summer. However, if I don't do research and just try to get clinical hours... I know I will get as many hours (due to competitiveness for volunteer/shadowing hours). Do you think I should not apply for the research program and try to get in more clinical volunteering/shadowing instead?

This is for my friend who asked me what I thought about her chances for med school (MD), especially some of the top-tier research medical schools, and I didn't know how to answer her so I'm asking it in this thread. She doesn't have stellar GPA records, but I think her MCAT grade and her volunteer/clinical/research/personal talents slightly balance out her less than stellar GPA..

This is post is relatively long, so kudos to anyone who actually takes the time to read it. Hopefully someone will answer me, regardless! Thank you incredibly in advance, as I'm also curious since I have very similar credentials..

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.31
Some comments about her GPA:
- she had a 2.79 at the end of her Sophomore year but had a 4.0 for her Junior and Senior years
- her grandmother passed away during her freshman year and her boyfriend died in a car accident during her sophomore year
- she repeated the first semester of chemistry and received a C+ (the first time around she got a C-)
- she repeated Calculus I and got a B (first time around she got a C+)
- she took Calculus II and got a D+

MCAT: 40P
Research experience: 1 year of undergraduate research in developmental biology, 1.5 years of postgraduate research in a research program, 1 abstract published, and she's in the process of writing a publication as of now

Volunteer experience:
1. She's been volunteering at the Red Cross/Red Crescent (Red Cross version at Bangladesh--country adjacent to India) since 10th grade
2. She's been volunteering at Brigham and Women's Hospital ever since her Junior year (she's still volunteering there)
3. Volunteered for one summer at a pediatrician's private practice center as well as shadowing that pediatrician
4. Shes' volunteered at a hospice

Clinical experience:
1. She's EMT certified in New York and Massachusetts and this has allowed her to help to some extent in the ER of the hospitals where her parents work (they're both physicians)
2. She's shadowed 3 Anesthesiologists, 1 Physician specializing in Infectious Diseases, 1 Gynecologist, and 1 Pediatrician

Other experiences:
1. She's helped tutor elementary school kids for a Science Olympiad for 2 years
2. She's been tutoring children with writing, reading skills, and phonics ever since 10th grade
3. year internship with the Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition and has volunteered for them ever since (she's created 85 participant press releases and succeeded in getting published 63 of them into various Massachusetts newspapers)
4. Since used to be obese but is very physically fit now after completing 3 10K marathons
5. She also gave a few talks during Health Ed. classes regarding how she overcame her obesity, and the importance of nutrition and some kind of daily physical activity in several NY schools
6. She used to be a forum moderator for a year and used to design t-shirts to help raise money to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of that forum
7. She's been writing online editorials and is a music critic for an unofficial English fansite for her favorite Korean Boy Band since her junior year

Hobbies:
1. She's been singing since 7th grade and on another forum, is vice-president of an online recording company which makes songs for fun and enjoyment
2. She's created the melody, written the lyrics, and did the vocals for 3 songs for this "online recording company"(the music/instrumental was not created by her)
3. Since 9th grade, she has been singing in Bangladeshi New Year Annual Ceremonies and in various other Bangladeshi festivities
4. She's been painting and drawing ever since 7th grade as well and has won 2 awards for some of her pieces
5. During 2 summers, she brought together several people and helped teach singing/painting/drawing (along with those other people) to disabled children or those children who couldn't afford paying for classes
6. She's written 4 novels and has posted these at a forum. She doesn't want to publish these novels for personal reasons.
7. A few times, she did stand up comedy in order to try to get rid of her stage fright and shyness. She's a lot less shy now. A lot less.
8. She has a 3-year-old baby brother who she looked after on a daily basis. She also taught him to speak Bengali and taught him a few phrases in English

I actually posted this in the DO thread, by mistake, so if some of you have read this already, my apologies.

Hi, I'm new here and not sure if this is the right thread...but thought I'd try it out. Here is the situation: I took the Sept. 11th MCAT, and turned in my AMCAS app shortly after. Come to find out I didn't do as well on the MCAT as I hoped and most likely I only have a remote chance of getting in at my state school. At this point I'm planning on re-taking the MCAT and applying next cycle (submitting on June 1st!). My question is, for all the schools I applied to and am sure I won't get in, should I just withdraw my app now? Or should I fill out the secondaries and pay them the money so they can tell me try again? Does it look bad to withdraw before secondaries one year, then re-apply the next? Thanks!

Hi, I'm new here and not sure if this is the right thread...but thought I'd try it out. Here is the situation: I took the Sept. 11th MCAT, and turned in my AMCAS app shortly after. Come to find out I didn't do as well on the MCAT as I hoped and most likely I only have a remote chance of getting in at my state school. At this point I'm planning on re-taking the MCAT and applying next cycle (submitting on June 1st!). My question is, for all the schools I applied to and am sure I won't get in, should I just withdraw my app now? Or should I fill out the secondaries and pay them the money so they can tell me try again? Does it look bad to withdraw before secondaries one year, then re-apply the next? Thanks!

You'll be a reapplicant no matter what but there's no point in wasting money on secondaries if you're not a competitive applicant, and med schools understand that. It won't look bad to just withdraw. You will have to do a reapplicant essay at some schools so make sure you substantively improve your application by next year.

So, my GPA is horrid, BPCM a 3.33. I'm averaging 36-37 on practice MCATs and I'm confident I'll do that well when I take it for real. My ECs/leadership/research/shadowing/LORs are all pretty good. The low point is that nasty GPA. I killed my averages my first couple years of school, but a couple semesters ago I started taking medication for ADD and my GPA since then has been above a 3.7. I don't need to go to the fanciest school out there, but do you think I've got a shot at even a decent allopathic school? Or should I go DO? Do schools look at an improvement like mine, or will they just ignore my application due to the low GPA? Thank you so much.

What are my chances of watching the Indians beat the Red Sox tonight at Cleveland?

Does anyone know what sort of GPA and MCAT score would be needed for admission at UC Davis School of Medicine? I've looked and can't seem to find their stats anywhere.

Alright, I just joined this site and I'm sure I'll be here often... I am a first semester junior in my undergrad at the moment, and I feel kinda unsure about my credentials. Any advice, mostly on where to apply (where I would have the best shot), improvements I can make over the next 8 months or so, or my chances to get in anywhere would be greatly appreciated.

This app should go out the second I get my May, 2008 MCAT score back. So... mid June 2008 I guess.

I'll keep this very brief since I have potentially a lot to do in the next 6-8 months. Thanks in advance!

Demographics: White male
Residency: Illinois (northern suburb of Chicago)
Major: Chemical Engineering (at U of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign... a pretty hot chemical engineering school, I don't know if that matters though)
Overall GPA: 3.76 (up to about a 3.80 after this semester)
BCPM GPA: 3.68 (up to about a 3.73 after this semester)
MCAT: I haven't taken it yet, let's just say 33, but I know I am capable of a 36-37 range... I'm enrolled in a Kaplan prep course and the like

Honors/Awards

-James Scholar at U of I (basically some honors credit thing)
-Campus Honors Program (top 125 freshman of my incoming class, so about 500 campus-wide... this is James Scholar on crack), with this I will graduate from U of I "with honors" so to speak
-Dean's List 4/4 semesters, will be 6/6 I hope when I apply
-National Dean's List 2007 (I don't even know what this is but hey I got it)

EC's

-By the time I apply I will have 1 year of research in an organic chem lab working on the antibiotic amphotericin, averaging about 15 hours a week or more... will most likely have a publication by next cycle (this research is interesting stuff if anyone is curious on what I'm doing I'd be happy to explain :) )
-Tutoring basic and organic chemistry and calculus a few hours a week
-2007 inductee into Tau Beta Pi (national engineering honors society that does community service and that kinda thing)
-Emergency Room volunteer in a city hospital summer 07, about 50ish hours
-Oncology volunteer fall semester of 2007 (in a new hospital), some other department volunteer spring semester 2008 (3 hours a week)
-member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers
-5 years as a honor caddy at a private golf club
-Member of Orange Krush, Illini Pride, etc (Fighting Illini cheering sections... don't know how relevant this is)

*Probably slightly above average LOR's, I have them set up but not actually written yet

I obviously plan to apply to probably all 7 Illinois schools. I've lived my entire life in the state, though, and any advice on where I might be able to branch out would be cool. I don't really think I'll be competitive at the top med schools; I'm really trying to get an idea of where I would be.

One other question I have is that the chemical engineering department at UIUC is consistently in the top 10 of all chemical engineerings across the U.S. Will this matter at all on my application, assuming I have about a 3.75-3.8 when my first app goes out?

Please critique and criticize! :) I am forgetting some things I'm sure as I wrote this up while waiting for a reaction to go in lab, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.