*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I was thinking about applying to Columbia, but since they are pretty strict about having each MCAT section >10, do you think it's a good idea to apply there? Obviously there will be some people who get in with scores lower than 10, but I just want some realistic opinions please.

Oh, please check below for my details.

Thanks!

I re-took the MCAT august 14th, here's my old + new score...

August 2006

PS-13
VR-7 :(
BS-11
WS- R

August 2007
PS:12
VR:8
BS: 11
WS: S
Total: 31S

I'm not really happy bcause of that whack VR score, again.

AMCAS sent my scores out to all the schools I've applied to. I've applied to about 40 schools, all East side, very few/ none (its kinda ambiguous) of them top tier (but all good schools).

I've also sent out my secondaries and everything, with letters about a couple of days ago. Do you think my chances are ok? Any advice please?

cGPA- 3.84 ,science GPA- 3.82 completed Biochem degree
Some details about me...

I'm a NY resident. Heres some of the activities I submitted to AMCAS:

-Retinoblastoma Assistant Researcher (2 summers)
-Research Paper, Published in JOGC
-Biochemistry Honors Project
-Teach for Kaplan
-Biochemistry Seminar & Conference Presentations
-Recreational Basketball and Soccer -Calculus Tutor
-Patient Care Services (in clinics, hospitals, etc—lots)
-University Admission Scholarships
-Dean’s List; Golden Key Intn’l Honor Society
-Computer Consultant

Any tips please!? Thanks! ;D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was thinking about applying to Columbia, but since they are pretty strict about having each MCAT section >10, do you think it's a good idea to apply there? Obviously there will be some people who get in with scores lower than 10, but I just want some realistic opinions please.

Oh, please check below for my details.

Thanks!

Well, you could always call them and ask if they have a cut-off. They may or may not admit to it. But if you've got the dough, why not try? At least, that's how I look at it. If you're really interested in a school, and have the money, why not put yourself in a position so that further on down the road you're not wondering, "what if?" or "why didn't i?" Or not. Your decision.

Well, you could always call them and ask if they have a cut-off. They may or may not admit to it. But if you've got the dough, why not try? At least, that's how I look at it. If you're really interested in a school, and have the money, why not put yourself in a position so that further on down the road you're not wondering, "what if?" or "why didn't i?" Or not. Your decision.

Thanks Phoenix. I'll call em up tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you have to reapply as a reapplicant next year if you don't get in and if you don't have significant improvement it will greatly hurt your chances of gaining an acceptance.

Interesting.... One other question. What if I were to apply to just a few schools? If I were to not get in, and then apply next year, would I only be treated as a reapplicant at the schools I previously applied to? Or is "reapplicant" just a general label for people who have applied to medical school before?

Interesting.... One other question. What if I were to apply to just a few schools? If I were to not get in, and then apply next year, would I only be treated as a reapplicant at the schools I previously applied to? Or is "reapplicant" just a general label for people who have applied to medical school before?

You would only be a reapplicant at the schools that you applied to. Just keep in mind that if you submit AMCAS today, you won't be verified until probably the end of October. Many schools require your AMCAS before Oct 15. You're getting very close to the deadline at this pt.

MCAT
V-7 :mad:
B-10
P-10

GPA
Overall-3.95
Science-3.8

International Student (No permanent - no nothing)
-Graduated from U.S. high school - graduated from State University

Doing Master's - will graduate soon
Four years of research experience in Molecular Biology
One year of research experience in Physical Chemistry
Attended numerous meetings and presented research

Many honors - Summa Cum Laude, Departmental Honors, Many Honor clubs and so on...

Community Volunteer works - nursing homes, Habitat for Humanity, church stuffs and so on...

Clinical experience - community hospital (shadowing in O.R. and E.R.) and local physician's office

Heard MD/PhD programs are little bit kinder to International students, so applying to MD/PhD programs, but not sure with that MCAT score

I know if I am not an international student, I have a good chance getting in AL schools, but all this international student stuffs are killing me

Ok I am definiely non-traditional (40yo):

Electrical Engineer BS/MS

14 year career in IT (Excellent Resume)

ER Volunteer

15 years ago:
Undergraduate BCMP/AO/Total 2.79/3.24/3.09
Graduate BCMP/AO/Total 4.0/3.0/3.12
Now:
Post Bacc BCMP 3.9

MCAT 36M VR10/PS12/BS14

Applying to Philly and Baltimore schools

GPA: 3.77
BCPM: 3.55 (but 3.75 in the last two years of u-grad!)
Ivy league
33Q
NY resident

ECs:
Full-time public health work (2 years)
Neurology clinical research (1 semester)
ER clinical research (2 years)
Tutoring/teaching (3 years)
Personal attendant to disabled student (1 year)

Applied:
SUNY-Downstate (already interviewed)
SUNY-Upstate (invited to interview)
NYU
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Drexel
Tufts
BU
GW
In-my-wildest-dreams-but-why-not apps:
Stanford
UCSF
Michigan
Cornell
Dartmouth

Basically I'm 95% sure that if I go to med school, I'll go to Downstate. But should I add some more "safety" schools?

Did you not feel like applying to the other SUNYs?

UGPA - 3.50 (econ & poli double)
did a postbac at Bryn Mawr - GPA - 3.55
JD - GPA - 3.00 (made law review and law journal of another school)
NC resident

ECs:
Obesity clinic work for a summer
Volunteered at an eating disorders facility for 1 yr.
Open door clinic volunteer for 1 yr.
TA'd in my last year of undergrad for an econ course
Helped organize a local fundraiser for ovarian cancer research (3 yrs)

MCAT - 29Q

Schools:

GW
Gtown
UNC
ECU
Wake
MUSC
VCU
UVa
Jefferson
EVMS
Brown
Temple

Any idea on what my chances are? Also, where I might consider applying that I haven't already? I really like UNC, just dont know if I am that competitive.

user_offline.gif

Does everyone get secondary applications from every school they apply too? Are medical schools selective about who they send them too? Are non traditional students (ones that have worked for a couple of yrs in business/medical field) looked at any differently from regular students just coming out of college???

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.75
MCAT: April 2006 : PS - 10 , V - 7, BS- 9 26M
Aug. 2006: PS - 9 , V - 8 , BS - 9 26Q
Aug. 2007: PS - 13, V - 9 , BS - 10 32P

IL Resident
mediocre EC's

hoping to get in somewhere in IL...any input would be appreciated. thanx!

GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.75
MCAT: April 2006 : PS - 10 , V - 7, BS- 9 26M
Aug. 2006: PS - 9 , V - 8 , BS - 9 26Q
Aug. 2007: PS - 13, V - 9 , BS - 10 32P

IL Resident
mediocre EC's

hoping to get in somewhere in IL...any input would be appreciated. thanx!

Not sure what "mediocre EC's" means exactly, but I think as an IL resident with your stats you should have a great shot at RFU, UIC and Rush. Loyola really likes solid community service/volunteering, so you might not have as great a shot there. And NWU and UofC are real crapshoots as it is. And if you're not from the Chicago area, you've probably got a great shot at SIU. Regardless, do your best to shore up your EC weakness so you have some good updates to send later in the year. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine if your essays and LORs are good. But you should definitely apply to some OOS schools too if you'd consider going OOS other than reapplying just in case. Perhaps MCW, SLU, and other mid-western schools. Good luck.

thanx for the advice...will def. look to improve my EC's...as now I have some research experience, volunteering at the hospital, tutoring for Physio classes, and several other health-related clubs/volunteering experiences i've participated in...

MCAT - 36m (11v, 12p, 13b)
GPA - 3.83, 3.87 science from top 20 school

ECs:
3 years Neuroscience research
2 years Habitat - leader positions
2 years service fraternity
2 years clinical volunteering - ER & neuro-rehab
Summer counselor at camp for children with special health needs
1 month spanish/medical trip in South America
Phi Beta Kappa
High distinction grad honors for thesis

Recs: All strong.

Schools:
Northwestern (interviewed)
Michigan (interviewed)
UWash (interview scheduled)
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
Wash U.
Vanderbilt (rejected)
Mayo Clinic (rejected)

Also considering:
Yale
Johns Hopkins
George Washington
Georgetown
USC
U Chicago

I know that my schools are kind of top heavy. I went into the process apparently a little too confident. The couple rejections and one bad interview has made me reconsider where I should apply. I'm out of state for California and the other schools I have applied to aren't exactly safeties. Any advice? Good safeties? Also any idea about the rejections - bad secondaries?

Thinkin' about either: apply next summer? wait and get job for 2 years (probably abroad)

App Overview
Overall GPA 3.635
BCPM 3.76ish
MCAT ?? (taking next spring, trying to aim 35+)

LOR x3 pretty sure they are good
LOR teachin' job
LOR clinic
LOR lab

Organic Chemistry Teacher, Tutor and Subject Coordinator 3 years
Clinic Counselor and Teacher 3 years
Lab Cancer Treatment Research 1 year
Molecular Evolution Research 2 summers 1 year
Lightweight Crew 2 Years
Professional Fraternity Leader
Random Research Award 1 summer
Random Scholarship for college 4 years

what do you think?
I'm a CA resident, so that means 30+ schools to apply to.

MCAT - 36m (11v, 12p, 13b)
GPA - 3.83, 3.87 science from top 20 school

ECs:
3 years Neuroscience research
2 years Habitat - leader positions
2 years service fraternity
2 years clinical volunteering - ER & neuro-rehab
Summer counselor at camp for children with special health needs
1 month spanish/medical trip in South America
Phi Beta Kappa
High distinction grad honors for thesis

Recs: All strong.

Schools:
Northwestern (interviewed)
Michigan (interviewed)
UWash (interview scheduled)
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
Wash U.
Vanderbilt (rejected)
Mayo Clinic (rejected)

Also considering:
Yale
Johns Hopkins
George Washington
Georgetown
USC
U Chicago

I know that my schools are kind of top heavy. I went into the process apparently a little too confident. The couple rejections and one bad interview has made me reconsider where I should apply. I'm out of state for California and the other schools I have applied to aren't exactly safeties. Any advice? Good safeties? Also any idea about the rejections - bad secondaries?

you should be ok, you should have your pick of several of those, add more safeties if you feel uneasy but dont waste your money if you dont want to go to those schools

Ok so I slightly messed up with my science gpa and now im starting to think im not even going to ever get an interview.

I am a senior, going to take 1 extra semester, so i will be applying next fall.
heres my stats:

Major: Chemistry and Sociology
GPA: 3.41
science: 2.91

EC:
Volunteer at hospital for 3 years
volunteer at crisis center for 2 years, also a trainer
habitat for humanity, volunteer for 3 years & president of school chapter
Alpha kappa delta, sociology honors society, president
sociology honors program, writing thesis
work in microbial ecology lab

I expect my overall gpa to be around 3.5 when i graduate, science about the same. I expect I will do slightly above average on MCATS
Am I hopeless?
Im not picky as to where i go to MD school, I just want to go somewhere.

Does anyone know how schools weight overall vs science GPA? I am a non-traditional and my science classes have almost all been post bac. My science GPA is strong but my overall was not as strong. I have seen a lot of people post regarding strong overall GPA and weak science, but I haven't seen many people in this situation.

Here are my stats according to AAMC

Cumulative Undergrad BCPM 3.81, AO 3.37, Total 3.5
Post Bac Undergrad BCPM 3.89, AO 4.0, Total 3.9 (only one class in the all other catagory)
MCAT 34N (11V, 11B, 12P)

I work on the weekends as an EMT and recently started a research project in the ER at a local hospital.

California resident. I applied to all instate schools and about 9 other schools outside of CA.

Does anyone know how schools weight overall vs science GPA? I am a non-traditional and my science classes have almost all been post bac. My science GPA is strong but my overall was not as strong. I have seen a lot of people post regarding strong overall GPA and weak science, but I haven't seen many people in this situation.

Post Bac Undergrad BCPM 3.89, AO 4.0, Total 3.9 (only one class in the all other catagory)
MCAT 34N (11V, 11B, 12P)

I work on the weekends as an EMT and recently started a research project in the ER at a local hospital.

California resident. I applied to all instate schools and about 9 other schools outside of CA.

You have nice balanced MCAT scores and a good BCPM although overall is a little light for UCs. If you applied early you should get some interest. Some schools will screen you out due to GPA but since you've done well in postbac and showed an upward trend, that's a good thing. To answer your question, though, they'll pay more attention to the overall than the science.

MCAT 34N (11V, 11B, 12P)

I have heard from various sources that science GPA is worth more than overall GPA, which makes sense because med school is all about applied science.

I have heard from various sources that science GPA is worth more than overall GPA, which makes sense because med school is all about applied science.

I think science GPA is important. However, when you look at the USNWR and how it evaluates schools, the two criteria listed on the short view is overall GPA and MCAT of matriculants. This is one reason why these scores are important, because schools do not want their average statistics to be very different from year to year. Schools that want to "move up" from mid tier to top tier as Pittsburgh and other schools have done over the past decade basically are doing so by being more selective. To some degree, this is why low GPA/high MCAT students are still competitive and vice versa, and one of the reasons why its difficult to be very competitive when both cGPA/MCAT are lower than the school's accepted averages without being URM because the school will have to accept someone with both numbers above their average to compensate. Clearly numbers aren't everything in this process and there are a lot of subjective fit elements that may make up more than 50% of the final admissions decision. That said, in the process of getting an interview or evaluating a candidate as "acceptable" cGPA/MCAT are very important, and you'll find that it's fairly rare for people to be interviewed when both their stats are below the average of matriculants at a given school. In the cases where people are selected for an interview despite low stats and no URM status it's likely there is something interesting in their academic record that the ADCOMs would like to pursue further.

As a candidate with much higher sGPA than cGPA I wish it were otherwise but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.75
BCPM GPA: 3.73
MCAT: 22 N --> PS- 7
VR- 7
BS- 8
WS-N
Major: Physiology
Specialization: Bioethics

EC's:
1 semester Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Hospital transporter
1 semester Wound Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Biochem Research volunteer
1 summer paid biochem research aide--> possible publication
1.5 year volunteer for Red Cross
3 year member/treasurer for Habitat for Humanity
and a few other small volunteering jobs

LOR's: have a few that are pretty strong

Ok, so I know my MCAT is dirt low...I don't know what the hell happened there. I think my GPA is ok and my EC's are average. So I was wondering what you guys think my chances are of getting into the worst MD schools for this cycle. Should I apply right now and take my MCAT again in January or should I put my application on hold for next year?

Oh, and also I'm not black or hispanic.:confused:

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.75
BCPM GPA: 3.73
MCAT: 22 N --> PS- 7
VR- 7
BS- 8
WS-N
Major: Physiology
Specialization: Bioethics

EC's:
1 semester Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Hospital transporter
1 semester Wound Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Biochem Research volunteer
1 summer paid biochem research aide--> possible publication
1.5 year volunteer for Red Cross
3 year member/treasurer for Habitat for Humanity
and a few other small volunteering jobs

LOR's: have a few that are pretty strong

Ok, so I know my MCAT is dirt low...I don't know what the hell happened there. I think my GPA is ok and my EC's are average. So I was wondering what you guys think my chances are of getting into the worst MD schools for this cycle. Should I apply right now and take my MCAT again in January or should I put my application on hold for next year?

Oh, and also I'm not black or hispanic.:confused:
These are my stats. Do you guys think I have any chances of getting in to ANY MD schools for this cycle?

short answer-no, gotta get the MCAT up a good 7+ pts.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and like many other premeds I'm contemplating my chances of getting accepted to American schools!! Here are my stats:

Country of citizenship: Canada
Degree: Honours in physiology and pharmacology
gpa: 3.75ish
MCAT1: 13P-13B-8V-Q 34Q
MCAT2: 11P, 12B-6V-N 29N:eek:

Oh, and to top it all off, I'm applying late!!
How will adcom look at my second set of MCAT scores??? clearly something went wrong!

Thanks for the input!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention... my first set of MCAT scores are from the august 2006 paper and pencil seating! Don't know if it makes a difference!

I took the April 2005 MCAT (paper and pencil) without any preparation (not smart I know) and applied to medical schools a couple years ago. I didn't get any interviews and considering my less than stellar GPA and lack of volunteer work I wasn't surprised.
  • attended UC Davis
  • Major: Biology
  • Minor: German
  • overall GPA 3.33, science 3.06, non-science 3.79
  • MCAT: 27Q (biology 10, physics 9, verbal 8)
  • inducted into Delta Phi Alpha (honor society for students of German)
I shadowed a forensic pathologist in the summer of 2005 and loved every minute of it. I was mainly curious about it when I started but it helped me decide that forensic pathology was what I wanted to do.

Well as you know, I didn't get interviewed so I went to my fallback option.

I'm currently working on my M.S. in forensic science and would like to complete that before trying to reapply to med school. My area of emphasis is DNA and I would like to do my thesis on determining the age of blood stains based on RNA degradation. I hope that adcoms will look at that type of research and see that my so-so grades in chemistry and biochemistry do not represent my true potential.

I was thinking about the disparity between my science (3.06) and non-science GPAs (3.79) and a realization hit me: My non-science classes were almost always 10-20 students and there was much more interaction with the TA or professor. I always came to those classes prepared and never failed to do my homework. I think the reason for that was that I really care about the image I project to those around me; I never wanted to look like a slacker. In my science courses (100-500 students) I could get away with less studying because if I got a poor grade on a quiz or test then the professor wouldn't know or care. I was just a face in the crowd.

Now that I've recommitted myself to medical school I'm planning to start volunteering at a local hospice to shore up that part of my application. I plan to retake the MCAT (probably in early 2009) and see where that gets me.

Please offer your criticisms and thoughts.

residence:NJ
ethn: middle east

first of all i have to say that i took 45 credits at a community college from which 6 courses in science the rest(80 credits) i took in 4-year university
community college stats
GPA: 3.90
BCMP:4.0
university stats:
GPA:3.60
BCMP:3.5
CC+Universitty stats:
GPA:3.65
BCMP:3.55
MCAT: 30 R

ER:
volunterring at hospital 300+ hrs
6 months chemistry experience (3 months of i took the research for credits)
lots of community services
tutoring in math and chemistry(while in school)
shadowing a family doctor for 6 months

what do u think about my chances of getting accepted at any medical school (I really don't care which medical school)?
thank you

i would love any HELPFUL advise.

BCPM gpa: ~3.82; "AO" (nonsci?) gpa: 3.94; overall gpa: 3.88
may 11 mcat: 23O (8bs, 8vr, 7 ps)
aug 9: 28O (10, 10, 8)

i have an AMCAS fee waiver and have used 8/12 waivers. I am not an URM (I'm South Asian - and my parents are not doctors). i'm from MI, attended local university, then transferred to MSU. I was on merit scholarships. my EC are ok, and some clinical experience (2 summers including right now).i graduated in august. also, i amjust starting volunteering in a lab doing kidney cancer research.

so far,
1. MSU CHM- submitted secondary 9/10
2. UMich- secondary submitted
3. Med College of Wisc- letters MIA?, but application submitted
4. Wayne state- working on secondary
5. Rosalind Franklin University-working on
6. Loyola- working on
7. Mayo- nothing so far
8. Wright State Univ (I added them on AMCAS last Wed but still no secondary)
9. MSU COM (D.O. school, submitted secondary last week)

I really am not sure what to add. was thinking after consulting MSAR,
Penn State (do i have a chance really?)
Drexel--iffy, don't know alot even thoough looked up
Albany med coll

some "long shots" were Case western, johns hopkins. (just for the hell of it)

any advise about schools i really would have a shot at at this point? i am not interested so much in DO except for MSU COM. thanks for any advise.

stats
White Male
Biology Major
Theology Minor
MCAT 34M (10PS 11VR 13BS)
GPA 3.95
Science 3.93

-Graduated High School May 04 college dec 06. took classes every summer did a summer research project in drug development of analgesics
-Medical Missions to Guatemala for a month for two summers (medical histories translations)
-Volunteered at Hispanic Clinic for a year 5 hrs/wk for a year doing triage and translation
-Involved with various honor society (National Biological one was VP of my chapter last semester)
-Who's Who Deans List etc
-Department of Bio award
-Tutoring
-TA for anatomy for 2yrs
-2 Semester co-taught and mentored freshmen class
-Research with prof in improving G chem lab curriculum
-Currently out of school and working with Department of Defense doing anti-warfare agent research
-Taking Graduate Biostats at ivy-league school nearby

LOR (Two Faculty, PI for summer, Physician I volunteered with for a year and went to guatemala with)

Ive had several interviews already but I'm kind of worried because I applied last year as MD/PhD student and was deferred to MD because of lack of research experience. Those that referred me pre november all interviewed me and they all wait listed me. NYU/Dartmouth/U Rochester/ Duke Those that did so after November usually told me something along the lines of we're closing interview invitations sorry etc. So I'm wondering if I got a shot at actually getting into these schools or others such as Pitt Penn etc. Will those that wait listed me be willing to reconsider my app with new grad classes/job and more clinical experience? I got about another 7months clinical experience and another medical mission since last application. I'm just curious because it seemed like I got a rush of invitations and now it's been 3 weeks without any word from any of the other 12 schools I have.
Im applying as MD student only this time. What do yall think my chances are ? Also I forgot to mention recognition for outstanding research at medical U of SC for a summer project there and did a poster presentation on the work. I know now that research isnt something I want to do for the rest of my life thanks to my job and various other experiences.

Hi:

White Male
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
Graduated Washington University in St. Louis '07
GPA: 3.22 (Started low, then improved steadily, then went down senior year due to deaths in family)
Science GPA: 3.01 from school (Plus I took physics 1&2 with lab at Baruch in NY and got As, that isn't factored into science gpa)

MCAT: Ph:9, V:11, B:12=32Q

1 yr deans list
Psi-Chi honorary society (inducted sr year)

EC: Research for 3 summers (2 different labs), both with great LOR
Assistant Manager/Barista at local coffee house (unique experience, trained others, needed $ but didn't portray it that way)
2 very meaningful community service groups for all 4 years of college
Shadowed 2 vascular surgeons for a summer

LOR: 2 PIs, 1 physiology professor, all great

I have been hesitant to apply since I am just now recovering from deaths in the family. Thing went downhill senior year and I entered therapy. As such, I have 3 incompletes on my record, that I may be able to finish.

My personal statement is about how I always knew I wanted to go to med school, but it was the various hardships I went through concerning deaths and depression that truly "sealed the deal" (obviously a lot better than this synopsis).

All of my transcripts have been sent to AAMCAS, but I have not submitted it for verification. I know it is so late, but I was wondering if I had any chance at applying to the small number of schools with later deadlines (e.g. Nov 1, Dec 15). My permanent address is in NY, and I just recently moved to Chicago (I've been here for a month).

Any help would be appreciated.

I am not opposed to D.Os. I know they have much later deadlines so I am planning to apply to several DOs (unless that is a bad idea as well).

My poor science grades were in intro courses, and my advanced courses had great grades. I know if I could get to an interview, I could explain all my problems during college, and how I learned from them and overcame

Thanks

i would love any HELPFUL advise.

BCPM gpa: ~3.82; "AO" (nonsci?) gpa: 3.94; overall gpa: 3.88
may 11 mcat: 23O (8bs, 8vr, 7 ps)
aug 9: 28O (10, 10, 8)

i have an AMCAS fee waiver and have used 8/12 waivers. I am not an URM (I'm South Asian - and my parents are not doctors). i'm from MI, attended local university, then transferred to MSU. I was on merit scholarships. my EC are ok, and some clinical experience (2 summers including right now).i graduated in august. also, i amjust starting volunteering in a lab doing kidney cancer research.

so far,
1. MSU CHM- submitted secondary 9/10
2. UMich- secondary submitted
3. Med College of Wisc- letters MIA?, but application submitted
4. Wayne state- working on secondary
5. Rosalind Franklin University-working on
6. Loyola- working on
7. Mayo- nothing so far
8. Wright State Univ (I added them on AMCAS last Wed but still no secondary)
9. MSU COM (D.O. school, submitted secondary last week)

I really am not sure what to add. was thinking after consulting MSAR,
Penn State (do i have a chance really?)
Drexel--iffy, don't know alot even thoough looked up
Albany med coll

some "long shots" were Case western, johns hopkins. (just for the hell of it)

any advise about schools i really would have a shot at at this point? i am not interested so much in DO except for MSU COM. thanks for any advise.

I think that the schools in MI will definitely be your best shots, so make sure you're complete at those asap. I probably wouldn't bother with the "long shots" given your MCAT, so perhaps Drexel and/or Albany if those are schools you think you'd like in locations you think you'd like. Good luck.

Im applying as MD student only this time. What do yall think my chances are ? Also I forgot to mention recognition for outstanding research at medical U of SC for a summer project there and did a poster presentation on the work. I know now that research isnt something I want to do for the rest of my life thanks to my job and various other experiences.

As an MD only applicant (and provided you got things in in a timely manner), I think you're set. Just make sure your interview skills are up to snuff. Good luck!

Hi:

White Male
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
Graduated Washington University in St. Louis '07
GPA: 3.22 (Started low, then improved steadily, then went down senior year due to deaths in family)
Science GPA: 3.01 from school (Plus I took physics 1&2 with lab at Baruch in NY and got As, that isn't factored into science gpa)

MCAT: Ph:9, V:11, B:12=32Q

1 yr deans list
Psi-Chi honorary society (inducted sr year)

EC: Research for 3 summers (2 different labs), both with great LOR
Assistant Manager/Barista at local coffee house (unique experience, trained others, needed $ but didn't portray it that way)
2 very meaningful community service groups for all 4 years of college
Shadowed 2 vascular surgeons for a summer

LOR: 2 PIs, 1 physiology professor, all great

I have been hesitant to apply since I am just now recovering from deaths in the family. Thing went downhill senior year and I entered therapy. As such, I have 3 incompletes on my record, that I may be able to finish.

My personal statement is about how I always knew I wanted to go to med school, but it was the various hardships I went through concerning deaths and depression that truly "sealed the deal" (obviously a lot better than this synopsis).

All of my transcripts have been sent to AAMCAS, but I have not submitted it for verification. I know it is so late, but I was wondering if I had any chance at applying to the small number of schools with later deadlines (e.g. Nov 1, Dec 15). My permanent address is in NY, and I just recently moved to Chicago (I've been here for a month).

Any help would be appreciated.

I am not opposed to D.Os. I know they have much later deadlines so I am planning to apply to several DOs (unless that is a bad idea as well).

My poor science grades were in intro courses, and my advanced courses had great grades. I know if I could get to an interview, I could explain all my problems during college, and how I learned from them and overcame

Thanks

If I were you, I'd only apply to schools that I'm a resident of this cycle. You are pretty late if you haven't even been verified yet. And you'll be a reapplicant at those schools next year. It sounds to me like you should take this year to be sure you're really regrouped and ready, and perhaps to take some post-bacc classes to try to raise your gpa. You could also look into an SMP program or the like. Or, you could just try to improve your application and apply next year (and thus not be a reapplicant at any schools). It's your call. Just be sure that if you do apply this year, that if you don't get in you'll have evidence of improvement in your app between now and next cycle. As for DO, I agree that applying later is not as much of a problem as with MD schools, and they may be a little more lenient about your gpa (especially if you retook some of those classes). Ultimately it's up to you whether you want to apply this year or not. If you're not in a rush (i.e., an older applicant that really doesn't want to wait another year - me), then I'd really recommend working on your gpa this year and applying early next year. Good luck!

I dont remember if I ever posted on this thread but I don't see my name so I'll assume I havent

MCAT aug 9, 2007: vr: 10, ps: 9, bs: 9 - total 28S

University of Miami
ovrerall gpa about 3.2
science about 3.0

Anthropology major bio minor

Working full time as a licensed practical nurse 2.5 years (thousands of hours of pt contact) in skilled rehabilitation and nursing home setting

Summer volunteering at free clinic

Anime club, Minority association of premed students member

Have worked full time and gone to school fulltime for past two years (since i was 19)

In the process of doing AMCAS now (was working on AACOMAS). I'm pretty much missing transcripts personal statement and for AACOMAS missing MCAT score b/c they messed up my name. Also trying to get two LoR's in: one from professor and another from a physican I've shadowed for like a year.

Applying to foloowng MD schools:
University of Miami
Florida State University
Florida International University

what are the chances looking like? any other schools I should keep in mind??:luck: good luck to everyone.

MCAT
11 12 14 S

GPA: Overall: 3.97 Science: 4.0
Major: Biochemistry
School: Illinois
Senior

I have solid research experience in biochemistry with two 2nd author publications in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, both medicine-related. I will probably have a few abstracts and maybe another publication by the time I apply (not sure if the paper will get published by then since it's still in the works).

Recommendation Letters: Very strong I guess. All from MD's ranging from Department heads down to associate professors in medicine at major universities with whom I closely collaborated or who know me personally (I heard it's a good thing).

Volunteer work: Not much in this department since I spent considerable amount of time on research.

Honors: I was a transfer student, so I am not eligible to graduate with honors since I never did research at my school (requirement for biochemistry majors).

Activities: Memberships in a few honor societies and student organizations, but I was never extremely active in either one of them. I had to work part time jobs during school year (library, fast food spots, etc.), so had no time for that.

Personal statement: Should be strong since my life is pretty much American Dream/Success Story of a Third World kid who at 15, found himself dirt poor living in Baltimore city with nothing more than a dream to be a doctor driving him forward.

I am thinking of taking a year off after I graduate next spring, so I will be applying for Fall 2009, but here's the list as of right now:

University of Chicago
University of Illinois Chicago
Johns Hopkins University
University of Maryland
University of Pittsburgh
UCLA
UCSF
Washington St. Louis
Ohio State
Indiana
Georgetown

Am I too ambitions with my list? I think I have a good shot at State schools, but the rest are very hard to get into.

MCAT
11 12 14 S

GPA: Overall: 3.97 Science: 4.0
Major: Biochemistry
School: Illinois
Senior

I have solid research experience in biochemistry with two 2nd author publications in the Journal of Biochemical Chemistry, both medicine-related. I will probably have a few abstracts and maybe another publication by the time I apply (not sure if the paper will get published by then since it's still in the works).

Recommendation Letters: Very strong I guess. All from MD's ranging from Department heads down to associate professors in medicine at major universities with whom I closely collaborated or who know me personally (I heard it's a good thing).

Volunteer work: Not much in this department since I spent considerable amount of time on research.

Honors: I was a transfer student, so I am not eligible to graduate with honors since I never did research at my school (requirement for biochemistry majors).

Activities: Memberships in a few honor societies and student organizations, but I was never extremely active in either one of them. I had to work part time jobs during school year (library, fast food spots, etc.), so had no time for that.

Personal statement: Should be strong since my life is pretty much American Dream/Success Story of a Third World kid who at 15, found himself dirt poor living in Baltimore city with nothing more than a dream to be a doctor driving him forward.

I am thinking of taking a year off after I graduate next spring, so I will be applying for Fall 2009, but here's the list as of right now:

University of Chicago
University of Illinois Chicago
Johns Hopkins University
University of Maryland
University of Pittsburgh
UCLA
UCSF
Washington St. Louis
Ohio State
Indiana
Georgetown

Am I too ambitions with my list? I think I have a good shot at State schools, but the rest are very hard to get into.

you have a good chance at ANY school.

3.1 UPGA, 3.8 postbac (upper division biology courses and O Chem only)--> 3.34 cumulative, 30 MCAT (CA resident)

Volunteer at hospital for 14+ months, lots of community service, no research (not interested in career in research), professional degree (top 10-15% of class) & 2 years work

I applied late... am just getting complete notices from schools now. I applied broadly (24 schools) to the usual lower-mid tier schools.

Do I at least have a 50-50 shot of getting in somewhere? Hanging around you all has made me feel pessimistic about my chances.

These are my stats. Do you guys think I have any chances of getting in to ANY MD schools for this cycle?

This is the thing. You have a fantastic GPA and extracurriculars. But your MCAT isn't that good. Why dont you take a year off. If you can get MCATS to >30 you have a chance almost anywhere. I know that sounds ominous but you can do it!!! I did on my second attempt and i'm sure that you are smarter than me :).

Here goes:eek::

Female- Native American/ White
Science GPA: 3.8
Non-science: 3.67 (I had one F, without that it would be 3.93)
MCAT: 27L (...:mad:)

Other stuff:
~volunteer for 2 years @ hospital
~undergrad research- sequence complete bacterial genome, future publication (in editing)
~Currently (1 yr) full-time job as biological scientist at my university- biomanufacturing and research facility, we are developing gene therapy products from mammalian cell culture and viral production
~volunteer calculus tutor, one semester
~worked full-time as server for freshman year and part of soph
~VP of honor society
~shadowed once for 3 hours in ER, looking to get more
~5 pres. list and 1 academic scholar award
~certified in BLS for HCP

I am hoping to go to any school in FL, if not close.
Also considering St.George's in Grenada- would love the experience of living in another country.

Please advise! Thanks!!

Update:
I have reconsidered my options completely!!
I am applying to 22 schools, not outside of US. I plan to retake the MCAT in the spring to revamp my app if I don 't get accepted this year. Please advise on my chances with new info...
My non-science GPA is only my non-science courses (I was confused), so my "overall" is 3.76
I submitted my app 10/4 :)thumbdown:thumbdown:)
Here are the schools I applied to:
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Florida State University
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
spacer.gif

New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
spacer.gif

SUNY Upstate Medical University
spacer.gif

Temple University School of Medicine
spacer.gif

The University of Miami School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Florida
spacer.gif

University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
spacer.gif

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine

Are there any schools you think I wasted $30 on??? (Decided on these last minute)

THANKS!!!

Update:
I have reconsidered my options completely!!
I am applying to 22 schools, not outside of US. I plan to retake the MCAT in the spring to revamp my app if I don 't get accepted this year. Please advise on my chances with new info...
My non-science GPA is only my non-science courses (I was confused), so my "overall" is 3.76
I submitted my app 10/4 :)thumbdown:thumbdown:)
Here are the schools I applied to:
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Florida State University
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
spacer.gif

New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
spacer.gif

SUNY Upstate Medical University
spacer.gif

Temple University School of Medicine
spacer.gif

The University of Miami School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Florida
spacer.gif

University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
spacer.gif

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine

Are there any schools you think I wasted $30 on??? (Decided on these last minute)

THANKS!!!

If you have URM status, which seems likely, you'll have a pretty good shot at many of your choices even though you're applying pretty late.

Here goes:

MCAT: 30 (10,10,10 Q)
GPA: 3.58 (SGPA: 3.7)
My freshmen year I did great, but sophmore year and first semester junior year I screwed up and got 3.0s each semester, I even received a D in a philosophy course, I have retaken the course and got an A. 2nd semester junior year I did very well and had a 3.7. Over this past summer I received a 3.7 in my courses as well. This semester I think it is realistic for me to assume I will get at least a 3.5.

EC:
-I have 2 years of research at Northwestern Medical University, no publications though.
-I have a lot of volunteer and shadowing hours of MDs and DO docs with very strong letters of recomendations.
-250+ hours of volunteer at hospital.
-Four years as a teacher at my sunday school.

Besides this I have worked for almost my whole college life, my letters of rec are strong. I am an Illinois resident and will obviously be applying to everywhere in state and lower tier schools out of state. I wanted to know if I had a strong chance at any school with my scores? Thanks a lot guys :)

Here goes:

MCAT: 30 (10,10,10 Q)
GPA: 3.58 (SGPA: 3.7)
My freshmen year I did great, but sophmore year and first semester junior year I screwed up and got 3.0s each semester, I even received a D in a philosophy course, I have retaken the course and got an A. 2nd semester junior year I did very well and had a 3.7. Over this past summer I received a 3.7 in my courses as well. This semester I think it is realistic for me to assume I will get at least a 3.5.

EC:
-I have 2 years of research at Northwestern Medical University, no publications though.
-I have a lot of volunteer and shadowing hours of MDs and DO docs with very strong letters of recomendations.
-250+ hours of volunteer at hospital.
-Four years as a teacher at my sunday school.

Besides this I have worked for almost my whole college life, my letters of rec are strong. I am an Illinois resident and will obviously be applying to everywhere in state and lower tier schools out of state. I wanted to know if I had a strong chance at any school with my scores? Thanks a lot guys :)

Are you applying for 2008 admission? If you haven't applied yet, I doubt you will be competitive. If you are applying for Fall 2009 admission and apply early, you should get quite a bit of interest.

Are you applying for 2008 admission? If you haven't applied yet, I doubt you will be competitive. If you are applying for Fall 2009 admission and apply early, you should get quite a bit of interest.

I disagree. She will be competitive this year if she applies now and has her secondaries ready to go ASAP.

I disagree. She will be competitive this year if she applies now and has her secondaries ready to go ASAP.

3.58/30 is about the average for med school matriculants. Since today is October 8, the VAST majority of those average applicants have already submitted their AMCAS and been verified. I have no idea how long it takes to verify AMCAS at the moment but I'm not sure it can even be done fast enough for schools who have a Nov 1 secondary submission deadline. Applying right now is a waste of money unless you have 4.0/40 and even then you'll do worse than if you'd applied earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.