The Republic of Texas X: You do NOT have multiple offers from schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're at 500 posts. Halfway there. We can hit that 1000 post mark before midnight tomorrow.

Now is the time when you need to dig deep and push through the pain to make it through those final 500 posts. You can't let things like school, your job, or family get in the way.

1000 by 12:00AM tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, sorry I snapped at you on the other thread over there. :(

It's cool. Just reminds me that I really want a car. Maybe I can ask for one on Thursday. Maybe...

So last year people noticed a change in their status page for TCOM by the evening of the 14th. Do we know what that status change was? Did it just say "A final decision has been made; we will contact you soon" and then you still had to wait until the morning, or did it say "You've been accepted, now fork over large sums of money"?

Also, if UTMB informed OOSers at midnight on Oct 15, then I guess I'm staying up.

jace's mom: doing my part to add to the paranoia and the post count

Members don't see this ad :)
29 more hours and 497 posts left. Keep it comin!

Now is the time when you need to dig deep and push through the pain to make it through those final 500 posts. You can't let things like school, your job, or family get in the way.

1000 by 12:00AM tomorrow.

Ok. So I'm working the graveyard in the ER tonight. I'll post any interesting or funny cases we get. Then we can talk about them like little pre-meds.

I can share a little TAing story from today

Class is always the same. It turns 3, I begin to lecture, most students sit there talking to each other instead of paying attention, and they end up asking me a ton of questions that they would have the answer to if they had just paid attention. Today was no different.

In the lecture I told them the answer to one of the questions on their worksheet that they seemed to think was confusing. It was actually directly from the book, but none of them put forth any effort and actually read the book, so whatever.

Ten minutes after I give my initial lecture with the answer to the question, I get asked the question again. I stopped class and told everyone the answer to the question again. I looked around as I was telling the class this and noticed some people still talking. Either way, I had now given them all the answer twice.

Probably 25 minutes later, a girl asks me AGAIN about the same question I had now answered twice. I tell her that I had already answered it twice, that she should pay attention during lecture, and then give her the answer again. Instead of being apologetic for her rude behavior, she decides to start cussing and throwing a fit, saying I'm disrespecting her by talking to her "like a child." For the next ten minutes, she throws a hissy fit about why she can't hear me because everyone else is talking (even though she was talking too) and how "people don't talk to [her] like that."

:rolleyes:

I'm so tired of freshmen.

Class is always the same. It turns 3, I begin to lecture, most students sit there talking to each other instead of paying attention, and they end up asking me a ton of questions that they would have the answer to if they had just paid attention. Today was no different.

In the lecture I told them the answer to one of the questions on their worksheet that they seemed to think was confusing. It was actually directly from the book, but none of them put forth any effort and actually read the book, so whatever.

Ten minutes after I give my initial lecture with the answer to the question, I get asked the question again. I stopped class and told everyone the answer to the question again. I looked around as I was telling the class this and noticed some people still talking. Either way, I had now given them all the answer twice.

Probably 25 minutes later, a girl asks me AGAIN about the same question I had now answered twice. I tell her that I had already answered it twice, that she should pay attention during lecture, and then give her the answer again. Instead of being apologetic for her rude behavior, she decides to start cussing and throwing a fit, saying I'm disrespecting her by talking to her "like a child." For the next ten minutes, she throws a hissy fit about why she can't hear me because everyone else is talking (even though she was talking too) and how "people don't talk to [her] like that."

Wow.. freshmen. That was sooo long ago. One of these days, I'll drop into a freshman English class and re-experience the joys of not knowing ****. :D

Ok. So I'm working the graveyard in the ER tonight. I'll post any interesting or funny cases we get. Then we can talk about them like little pre-meds.

We can discuss cellular signaling pathways!!!

*I have a cell bio test on thurs*

Man, if I was taking a test on Thursday and I had been accepted (like you will be) and I didn't know the answer, I'd be like "I'm sorry, I got accepted to medical school today. Let me spin this for you...." and then make some story about Moses or seacrabs or whatever up. Yes. That's what I'd do. Commitment to excellence.

Oh, yuck! Cell bio is going to be the death of me. The prof has one of those great policies where you can skip the final (and thus the rest of the classes, including Thursday morning) if you're happy with the grades you got on the first 3 tests. Unfortunately, that is not my case, and I have to take the final...I'm not very happy about the situation. :(

If I get in somewhere on thursday Im going shopping like crazy!!!!! What could make the shopping experience any better? Bubble tea of course from Tea House!:D

armybound, as a high school math teacher, I SO feel for you right now. Lord bless you!

Okay, okay...add to the post count...uhm.....

Once upon a time, there was a (not so) young girl who really, really wanted to go to medical school. She studied hard, made good grades, and generally did everything just right. However, as November 15th (also known as The Day of Doom) approached, she began to worry that she would not be accepted. In desperation, she decided to approach The Medical Dudes So Awesomely Scary and ask them to grant her wish. Approaching The Dudes, she said, "Kind Dudes, you are so awesomely scary and amazing! Will you please allow me to attend medical school, as it is a life-long dream for me? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaase?"

To which The Medical Dudes So Awesomely Scary replied....

Man, if I was taking a test on Thursday and I had been accepted (like you will be) and I didn't know the answer, I'd be like "I'm sorry, I got accepted to medical school today. Let me spin this for you...." and then make some story about Moses or seacrabs or whatever up. Yes. That's what I'd do. Commitment to excellence.

Don't tempt me, please... Seriously. I've thought about ignoring studying for the test and just study for the final because of all the anxiety.

Thanks for the boost of confidence though. You'll get in too!

Members don't see this ad :)

are you teaching freshman in high school or college? and if its college, what the hell kind of university is this? I've never been in any classes during my college years where people were like this and I've also been a TA for organic and gen chem.

you shouldn't put up with that mess, man.

Once upon a time, there was a (not so) young girl who really, really wanted to go to medical school. She studied hard, made good grades, and generally did everything just right. However, as November 15th (also known as The Day of Doom) approached, she began to worry that she would not be accepted. In desperation, she decided to approach The Medical Dudes So Awesomely Scary and ask them to grant her wish. Approaching The Dudes, she said, "Kind Dudes, you are so awesomely scary and amazing! Will you please allow me to attend medical school, as it is a life-long dream for me? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaase?"

Why you little dapper thing you! No one gets in to see the wizard! Not nobody, not no how! However, if you wish to gain access to land of Medicinia, you must bring us back....a shrubbery! And a nice one at that! So the little girl set off on her quest to find the shrubbery of appeasement for the Gods of medical school admissions....

are you teaching freshman in high school or college? and if its college, what the hell kind of university is this? I've never been in any classes during my college years where people were like this and I've also been a TA for organic and gen chem.

you shouldn't put up with that mess, man.
it's college. it's weird because this student is usually very nice and well behaved.. I'm assuming she was just having a bad day and decided to take it out on her TA who was also having a bad day.

Prematch offers are given from Nov. 15th until Dec. 31st. Am I totally wrong? I heard Dr. K. say this at UTH. I interviewed late so I probably won't get an offer. If I do get one is it possible that it will be after the 15th of Nov?

Prematch offers are given from Nov. 15th until Dec. 31st. Am I totally wrong? I heard Dr. K. say this at UTH. I interviewed late so I probably won't get an offer. If I do get one is it possible that it will be after the 15th of Nov?

For UTH, it's likely that the 10% of pre-match offers will only be Nov. 15th and everything else is match.

ask1andy I think alot of people are hoping for an acceptanc from UTH but since theyre probably only sending around 20 of them we might not all be so fortunate. I think there is a chance you can get one after the 15th. Then again thats just my personal opinion.:D

So the little girl set off on her quest to find the shrubbery of appeasement for the Gods of medical school admissions....
...because she wanted to be a physician soooo much. Being from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, she had lots of pretty pecan trees. Thinking that The Medical Dudes So Awesomely Scary would like a pecan tree, she dug one up, loaded it into the back of her chariot (minivan) and headed to Oztin. She was almost there when suddenly she noticed....

I'm pretty sure I am already going to have trouble sleeping tonight.

...because she wanted to be a physician soooo much. Being from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, she had lots of pretty pecan trees. Thinking that The Medical Dudes So Awesomely Scary would like a pecan tree, she dug one up, loaded it into the back of her chariot (minivan) and headed to Oztin. She was almost there when suddenly she noticed....
a man with gross anti-islam sentiment peering at her pecan tree over her shoulder. Surprised, she ...

Good thing her hissy fit proved that she was too mature to be spoken to like a child...

a man with gross anti-islam sentiment peering at her pecan tree over her shoulder. Surprised, she ...

...fell backwards, knocking the man into a pile of cartoon representations of the prophet Muhammad, shredding him to death in an ironic flurry of karmic paper cuts. Picking her shrubbery back up and placing it back into her Honda Odyssey (the only mini-van worth its weight in gold), she swiftly entered the enchanted swamp where she crossed paths with...

I think were all a little bit stressed right now. Just think, it could all be over on thursday. =0)

I'm really hoping to feel better thursday. All I can do is pray and light religious candles.:D

Picking her shrubbery back up and placing it back into her Honda Odyssey (the only mini-van worth its weight in gold), she swiftly entered the enchanted swamp where she crossed paths with...
...a gigantic monster called the Mostly Contagious Angry Turtle. This was no ordinary turtle. It had fangs and claws, it roared at uexpected moments, and it liked to eat pre-meds. Plus, it was Mostly Contagious. Nobody knew with what, exactly, but there were boils. And pus. And necrotic skin. Glaring at our intrepid student, the monster roared, "Explain the process of refrigeration in five words if you wish to pass!"

...a gigantic monster called the Mostly Contagious Angry Turtle. This was no ordinary turtle. It had fangs and claws, it roared at uexpected moments, and it liked to eat pre-meds. Plus, it was Mostly Contagious. Nobody knew with what, exactly, but there were boils. And pus. And necrotic skin. Glaring at our intrepid student, the monster roared, "Explain the process of refrigeration in five words if you wish to pass!"

:laugh:

"The...last....master.....file....update?" The trembling premed knew this was not the right answer to the Mostly Contagious Angry Turtle's question, but she thought surely if its magical powers can get some people medical school interviews or even acceptances, it could surely help her get out of this mess! Then the Mostly Contagious Angry Turtle turned to her and stared her in the eyes for what seemed eternity until...

It's a good thing I have a ton of stuff going on right now or I would probably be waaaay more anxious about the 15th. I just keep reminding myself that if I don't get a pre-match offer, it does not necessarily indicate rejection......

I'm trying to remind myself of that as well >_<

It's a good thing I have a ton of stuff going on right now or I would probably be waaaay more anxious about the 15th. I just keep reminding myself that if I don't get a pre-match offer, it does not necessarily indicate rejection......
yeah, that's always good to remember, but it sure does feel like a rejection if you don't get one. I'll probably be devastated, especially if I get rejected from the other schools I interviewed at.

On thursday I want to propose a party somewhere in Houston to CELEBRATE! If anybody has any ideas on location post them!:D

...fell backwards, knocking the man into a pile of cartoon representations of the prophet Muhammad, shredding him to death in an ironic flurry of karmic paper cuts. Picking her shrubbery back up and placing it back into her Honda Odyssey (the only mini-van worth its weight in gold), she swiftly entered the enchanted swamp where she crossed paths with...
Ha! Ironic flurry of karmic paper cuts. That could SO be a band name.

Ok, new topic to keep things going (must reach 1000!). Has anyone ever been to a M&M before?

Why you little dapper thing you! No one gets in to see the wizard! Not nobody, not no how! However, if you wish to gain access to land of Medicinia, you must bring us back....a shrubbery! And a nice one at that! So the little girl set off on her quest to find the shrubbery of appeasement for the Gods of medical school admissions....

A shubbery? Next thing you know there will be people beating cats against walls in the background......oh how I love that movie.:lol:

I'm wondering if the pre-match offers will mostly be offered to the same top ~300 applicants in texas....:( I'm guessing that's been the trend in the past? Actually, maybe not, because then there should have been a lot more waitlist movement....blah! There's basically no making sense of this whole new process.....

Possible Titles for New Thread:

The Republic of Texas XI: You MAY have multiple offers from schools

or

The Republic of Texas XI: You have no offers. Period.

or for a little optimism (a la Star Wars)

The Republic of Texas XI: The Match Process, A New Hope

I'm wondering if the pre-match offers will mostly be offered to the same top ~300 applicants in texas....:( I'm guessing that's been the trend in the past? Actually, maybe not, because then there should have been a lot more waitlist movement....blah! There's basically no making sense of this whole new process.....

I was thinking about the same thing myself. Do y'all think schools will grab applicants that are what we would consider the "studliest applicants" (the prototypical 4.0 and 40) or do y'all think that the schools are looking for the student most likely to go there (read: a good applicant who is slightly above their mean/median stats who probably had a good interview)? I think that most schools will want to try to lock in students that are slightly (but not too far) above the average for what they normally end up with by tempting them with an early acceptance.

Thoughts? Discuss.

haha love the "The Republic of Texas XI: The Match Process, A New Hope" :laugh:

The Republic of Texas XI: You have NO offers. Make your time.

Too gloomy?

I was thinking about the same thing myself. Do y'all think schools will grab applicants that are what we would consider the "studliest applicants" (the prototypical 4.0 and 40) or do y'all think that the schools are looking for the student most likely to go there (read: a good applicant who is slightly above their mean/median stats who probably had a good interview)? I think that most schools will want to try to lock in students that are slightly (but not too far) above the average for what they normally end up with by tempting them with an early acceptance.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Unfortunately (for me), either scenario will be terrible....:(
I'm personally hoping for the screw the stats let's go for the awesome interviewer! :clap:
And as long as it's pre-15th, I can keep dreaming that.....