The SDN flaw parade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Lack of confidence. I’m too hard on myself, downplay my accomplishments, and focus too much on the negative. This all sometimes negatively impacts my productivity as well. I also get anxious in certain social situations.
I am confident, but I am equally very hard on myself. Sometimes that makes me very unhappy.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Most of the crushes I've had are with guys who haven't dated.

Nothing as attractive as a mildly socially awkward, intelligent, sometimes sporty, family-oriented type of guy.
Hm...talking about types here. We're very similar.
I like mildly awkward, intelligent guys, lanky build. Don't care about sports and am too young to fully understand if my peers are " family-oriented" ( that's always something that can change later, ya know).
Muslims don't date...but I've had my innocent crushes...

Members don't see this ad :)
god, this thread is so heteronormative! lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
god, this thread is so heteronormative! lol
Not entirely caught up, but here’s my non-hetero perspective.

Not to seem like a vessel for internalized homophobia, but I’ve found it really tough to date in college, because I don’t identify with many aspects of modern college gay culture both because of my cultural upbringing and my actual personality. However, I’ve found that I vibe well with other neurotic premed (gay) guys hahahaha.

There’s also that nagging sense of needing to think about settling down soon, and my med school location preferences are likely to be largely based on that.

(Guys with WARS S or above hit me up)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
nagging sense of needing to think about settling down soon
Settle down in med school. Pick ya school and select from that community? Almost done w senior year anyways unless there is someone youve been seeing

Reactions: 1 user
Not entirely caught up, but here’s my non-hetero perspective.

Not to seem like a vessel for internalized homophobia, but I’ve found it really tough to date in college, because I don’t identify with many aspects of modern college gay culture both because of my cultural upbringing and my actual personality. However, I’ve found that I vibe well with other neurotic premed (gay) guys hahahaha.

There’s also that nagging sense of needing to think about settling down soon, and my med school location preferences are likely to be largely based on that.

(Guys with WARS S or above hit me up)

I hear you. I am glad I settled down with my husband, very happy. But for single gays, this is a huge factor! I have friends working as tenured professors where they just can't find anyone to date...

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Settle down in med school. Pick ya school and select from that community? Almost done w senior year anyways unless there is someone youve been seeing
Yeah that’s what I figure, but the pool is small LOL. Might have to broaden my search or go to a city with many med schools.

Yeah that’s what I figure, but the pool is small LOL. Might have to broaden my search or go to a city with many med schools.
Think youll find solace at Loma Linda i suggest EDing there if it doesnt work out for you this cycle

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

yep, as a med student or anyone who's highly educated, the pool for gay dating limits dramatically.

• Sad
Cross cultural question for understanding - how does marriage work then?
So arranged meetings with someone you are interested in, kind of like the Jewish concept with another person present. You're allowed to be friendly with the person first, just no real, intimate, physical relationship.

• Wow
a city with many med schools.
On the real though, best bet is to pick a school with a lot of graduate programs (Law, Med, PhD, etc.) too if this is an actual concern of yours for med school selection! Edit: unless you strictly wish to see/date guys who are also in medicine

So arranged meetings with someone you are interested in, kind of like the Jewish concept with another person present. You're allowed to be friendly with the person first, just no real, intimate, physical relationship.
Is it like.....transnactional or something? Like, who arranges what?

can't grasp that from the gay perspective lol:dead:

Is it like.....transnactional or something? Like, who arranges what?
It's ...complicated. But it does work! Two of my peers only 5+years older than me are happily married and still in the lovey-dovey phase like 3 years later. One girls fell in love with someone she met at the Muslim Student Association and they got married when she was like...22. You'd think they just got married.
can't grasp that from the gay perspective lol:dead:
LOL nobody said oversharing isnt' allowed at these "dates" XD

Reactions: 3 users
This is also the way hindu arranged marriages are heading (am hindu, not strict or following these protocols by any means). Theres actually sites/apps that are meant for this exact purpose its pretty crazy

This is also the way hindu arranged marriages are heading (am hindu, not strict or following these protocols by any means). Theres actually sites/apps that are meant for this exact purpose its pretty crazy
Yeah, it works out. Hard to explain to other cultures but it works out.

my bff is hindu, we are trying to stage a fake marriage so she can get her money that's supposed to be saved for her wedding.

• Love
It's ...complicated. But it does work! Two of my peers only 5+years older than me are happily married and still in the lovey-dovey phase like 3 years later. One girls fell in love with someone she met at the Muslim Student Association and they got married when she was like...22. You'd think they just got married.

LOL nobody said oversharing isnt' allowed at these "dates" XD
No doubt it works! There are a billion muslims on Earth, so something has to be going right lol It is more or less just a foreign concept to me. But I love learning so please do share whatever you want or are willing! I am sure we would all be curious, the mulitcultural and diverse applicant body that we are.

my bff is hindu, we are trying to stage a fake marriage so she can get her money that's supposed to be saved for her wedding.
Is she LGBT as well? Or she just wants to cut ties from her parents after receiving the money? Whats the motive behind the fake marriage?

On the real though, best bet is to pick a school with a lot of graduate programs (Law, Med, PhD, etc.) too if this is an actual concern of yours for med school selection! Edit: unless you strictly wish to see/date guys who are also in medicine
Boston, NYC, or SFBA would be the dream.
Of course followed very closely by Loma Linda.

Don’t think I can afford to limit myself to guys in medicine haha.

• Love
Is she LGBT as well? Or she just wants to cut ties from her parents after receiving the money? Whats the motive behind the fake marriage?
nah, she insists she's straight. in any case, her parents know I am married lol. we are just joking around about that. Quite traditional family for her.

Boston, NYC, or SFBA would be the dream.
Of course followed very closely by Loma Linda.

Don’t think I can afford to limit myself to guys in medicine haha.
if you'd like to work as a real gay activist lol

• Haha
Dating isn't just physical. You can have an emotional connection with someone and set boundaries. Muslim parents always tell their kids no dating when in all reality they 100% dated before having kids.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This thread has gone from honest -> supportive -> open discussion -> hilarious -> informative (current state). One of the best threads on SDN socially ngl

• Haha
SDN socially ngl
But you aren't here to socialize, right *Wink*

We gotta keep a core concept of flaws (which are still getting thrown in here) or else the man is gonna shut us down.

No doubt it works! There are a billion muslims on Earth, so something has to be going right lol It is more or less just a foreign concept to me. But I love learning so please do share whatever you want or are willing! I am sure we would all be curious, the mulitcultural and diverse applicant body that we are.
No problem! ( It's good that you asked, I'm not offended/upset by it. I know it was a legit question and not a derogatory one.) ;)

But you aren't here to socialize, right *Wink*

We gotta keep a core concept of flaws (which are still getting thrown in here) or else the man is gonna shut us down.

Well, being unable to find a life partner might be rooted in personal flaws. :x

• Haha
One of my best friends is a lesbian who met her girlfriend by picking her up at a bar (I believe they were talking about sports, then went on a tangent about philosophy). Anyone can do it! Straight, LGBTQ, purple, ET, everyone! A good pickup line/convo crosses all boundaries!

It doesn't have to be sports related, either!

• Wow
One of my best friends is a lesbian who met her girlfriend by picking her up at a bar (I believe they were talking about sports, then went on a tangent about philosophy). Anyone can do it! Straight, LGBTQ, purple, ET, everyone! A good pickup line/convo crosses all boundaries!

Noobs like me have to use “the Tinder”.

• Wow
  • Haha
No problem! ( It's good that you asked, I'm not offended/upset by it. I know it was a legit question and not a derogatory one.) ;)
Does the imam usually set people up, or is it like another person in the community? Thanks for explaining to us!

*Laughs in introvert*

• Haha
  • Wow
ADCOMS stopping by this thread:

See the source image

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I met my current partner on Grindr. There's a lot of garbage you have to sift through but there's occasionally a nice human out there.
Be glad you're not a woman. Our best queer-specific dating platform is a deeply terrible app called Her. To stay on topic, I will claim this as a flaw.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users