The Truth About Committee Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudstrife2054

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a common misconception that the Health Professions Committee members get together and write your committee letter. That is NOT true. They hire a professional letter writer. What they do is go over your application for a committee letter as well as your committee letter. That being said, they can tell the letter writer you receive their highest recommendation, they just recommend you, recommend you with reservations, and do not recommend you based on your application. I talk to my health professions advisor a lot so I have an idea what goes on with a committee letter.

It also helps if you've done advisement as well. They make notes that could be used to compose your letter.

Plus this link also says a similar thing.
https://career.berkeley.edu/Medical/AppLet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
[code ]

if: n=1
then: my experience = truth

[/code

Reactions: 1 users
So my school doesn't do that....

And Berkeley says that the letter is written by your pre-med advisor. That is how it is done at my school. We fill out an app, interview with a non-medical person, the pre-med advisor reviews this all and writes a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people believe the entire committee writes it. I may have been vague, but it is written by the pre-health advisor mostly (and then a letter writer to touch it up if it's part of their procedure) and the committee reviews it.

Um no. Our committee members meet (5: professors and doctors from our med school), look at letters, go over your apps and the essays you wrote for them, divide up the letters between the chair and vice chair, and the two write all of the letters, in the order the apps are verified.

This PSA is not necessary as it is not applicable to everyone.

Edit: the link you posted was clarifying that it is not your professors gathering to write a composite letter for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/B]

Reactions: 1 users
There is a common misconception that the Health Professions Committee members get together and write your committee letter. That is NOT true. They hire a professional letter writer. What they do is go over your application for a committee letter as well as your committee letter. That being said, they can tell the letter writer you receive their highest recommendation, they just recommend you, recommend you with reservations, and do not recommend you based on your application. I talk to my health professions advisor a lot so I have an idea what goes on with a committee letter.

It also helps if you've done advisement as well. They make notes that could be used to compose your letter.

Instead of spewing half-truths, why not tell people to just ASK the committee what they do?

My committee assigns someone from the committee. I know them well.

Was there supposed to be a point to this post? Not seeing a question or a discussion topic, just an unsubstantiated assertion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing like the smell of solipsism in the morning!