The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS, PERFECT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's tremendous news! God knows you deserve it (and have for a long time)!
We're VERY happy for you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yet another "Under 3.0 Club" member with a successful and happy ending. Congrats my friend! Now prepare to work hard and your adventure is yet to began.

:clap:

Congrats Perfect! :clap:

What were your final stats? (I couldn't find them)

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect,

awesome! congratulations!! now go somewhere and party!!! :clap:

Congrats! You hung in there and got what you deserved. Good job!

my full stats are posted in the stats 2004 thread on page 11.

hope it helps someone in the future.

First of all congrats on your acceptance! I am very much in a similar situation (2.96 current gpa, but still have one semester before I apply.....hoping to bring it above 3.0). Do you have any tips/ recommendations for a fellow member of the below 3.0 club?

Hey drpduck,

To improve on your application profile other than the GPA, you should:

- Study hard on your DAT and try to get between 19-20 range on most sections
- Write a good to exceptional applicant essay to make you stand out from the others
- Get some form of dental exposure in hospital, dental office, etc
- Apply EARLY!!! (submit your application in June when the submission period starts. Your chances of getting an interview increase significantly the earlier you submit your application

- after when you've been granted an interview, you are golden! Most candidates that are invited have competitive GPA, DAT scores in the opinion of that dental school adcom, so all you need to do in the interview is to sell yourself, your dedication/motivation to dentistry and impress them!

Wish you luck!

perfect answer musketeer.

in my case, i believe that my statement letter is what really helped me the most. of course, the statement letter alone doesn't get you into dental school, but i feel that it helped me get some interviews.

the 2nd most helpful part of my app was my strong recommendation letters, experience, and of course the interview itself. even though i aced my interviews at UCSF and Meharry, i am still to hear from them. let see what happens.

good luck you all.

Thanks for the info!

I know the DAT is pretty much what can get me into schools......so I plan on taking it in Aug, allowing all of June and July for full time studying.

I have quite a bit of clinical experience, from private practice to hospital dentistry and OMS

So the thing I'm worried about right now is the personal statement....any tips on how to stand out(or explain why my 2.5 gpa for 2 semesters was close to the number of beers i drank everyday :laugh: )?

I will be very happy to be invited for an interview......I'll show them in person they'd be crazy not to accept me :D

drpduck,

is 2.5 your gpa right now?

as far as standing out, i think that you know better. everyone has something that makes them unique. you just gotta figure it out.

hey duck....sorry to be blunt dude, but a 2.5 is kinda low, and I really dont know if a strong DAT will even overshadow it....unless your last two years have been at least a 3.7...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, I'm Chris :D, and i just wanted to add my name to the list and join the club. I'm currently a 2nd year at UCD and I'm a Neurology, Physiology, and Behavior major.

I think my 2.65 GPA right now qualifies me for this club and man i'm really friggin out about getting into dental school. I think i'm going to have to apply the end of senior year and hopefuly i can have my GPA up to maybe a 3.3 by then. I've searched the forum and can't really find any specifics about people applying the end of their senior year so if any of you have that plan or are doing that just hit me up sometime. I've been a lurker the past year so i feel i know some of you, it's a weird feeling but yeah. Good luck to all of you :horns:

drpduck,

So the thing I'm worried about right now is the personal statement....any tips on how to stand out(or explain why my 2.5 gpa for 2 semesters was close to the number of beers i drank everyday

If your 2.5 GPA was incurred during the early part of your university life, then what you can say is the reason why you've got this mark (where you affected by personal reasons/tragedy?). Then what you can say is what steps you have taken since this experience to improve on your GPA (did you ask someone to tutor you or read up on books about how to study/improve reading and comprehension, change your lifestyle). You can then conclude by indicating the result of this change (did your grades increase in succeeding years?). Even though you did get a low GPA for 2 semesters, many dental schools will look at this in a positive way IF your GPA increased steadily afterwards.

Hey Chris, first off, I would like to welcome you to the forum!

As to your question/concern...

searched the forum and can't really find any specifics about people applying the end of their senior year so if any of you have that plan or are doing that just hit me up sometime

...majority of the applicants are 'applying in their senior years' since many dental schools prefer more mature students as well as applicants that have attained a degree. So if you have any specific questions you would like to ask just post it somewhere and usually someone will have an answer fairly quickly!

My cum gpa is a 2.96 and has steadily increased. I had a 2.82 after first semester sophomore year, then raised to a 2.86, then to the current 2.96. I got 2 semesters and 1 summer session at around 2.5(for the semester, not cum), but since second semester sophomore year its been 3.0, last semester was a 3.4, hoping for a 3.5+ this semester to raise me above the 3.0 mark.

Looking back on it, did I have any tragedy/did I work? No, I was just immature. Once I realized that going out and partying all the time will not help me get into dental school, I straightened up.

I know dentistry is what I want to do, and honestly the schools should just save themselves some paperwork and accept me first time around......b/c I'll keep applying until I get in:D

If you end up close to 3.0, and you get good DAT scores 21+ avg, and apply early, and cast a wide net and get good rec letters and interview well - you're almost guaranteed to get in somewhere.

drpduck,

after reading your last post, i felt like you were describing me and my stats. seriously, i was in the same exact situation as you. i did incredibly bad in my 1st 2 yrs of college and then woke up. by the time i woke up and realized that i needed to do better, i had already racked up about 100 units or so. i know it was very very hard for me to raise my gpa to 3.00 but i had to do it. i took as many courses as i needed in order to get my gpa close to 3.

personally, i think that you can do well if you really put your mind to it and figure out what you need to do in order to get there. you still have time in school and your gpa is almost there. get it to over 3 if you can and score those 20's on your dat and you'll be in my friend. your main objective at this point should be your personal statement letter (believe me this letter makes a huge difference wether they wanna interview you or not) and getting your gpa to 3.

good luck.

Originally posted by Christofurrr
Hey everybody, I'm Chris :D, and i just wanted to add my name to the list and join the club. I'm currently a 2nd year at UCD and I'm a Neurology, Physiology, and Behavior major.

I think my 2.65 GPA right now...

No offense dude, but maybe that's why you have such a low GPA, triple majors?

Oh, sorry i didn't specify earlier but it's just one major. NPB. The low gpa is from my first year fun times. I didn't know it would be this hard to bring it up hehe

For us 3.0 and under applicatants; success is all about the DAT. You need to improve your grade as much as you can. Do not make any more mistakes from hear on. For some extra cash, I would suggest for you to tutor the DAT subject. This is an excellent way to stay freshed and for the dat of the big test. I think that one does not know the subject until they can teach to another. I tutor these subjects and I did really well in my TS on the DAT. If you end up with 3.0 GPA and 18-19 DAT your chances are shot. You need either one to be excellent to get in. Hey I got in to Dental school and had 5 interviews, My GPA is 2.7 overall. 3.0 and under canidates are have a good shot at geting admissions. Good luck!

Hello there

I am so glad i found out about this site. I am graduating this semester with a BS computer science degree. I rushed thru college thinking I'd have it all after i graduate but some where along the line i lost complete interest in the subject and it was to late to change majors, i was already 3/4 way done might as well finish it.

Anyways i have renewed interested in becoming a dentist. Since starting high school i've always wanted to be one but after being rejected to UOP dental school my interest was side tracked and i just drifted thru college unmotivated. Recently thou i have heard many inspirational stories from friends and other dentists i know and found new interest/energy, now i am determined to become a dentist.

Background.
- I am graduating this semester w/ a BS in Computer Science
- I have a 2.9 overall GPA.
- Haven't taken any science classes, except bio 101.
- Math courses - up to Caluclus II
- I enjoy working with my hands, pretty handy also.

Future plans after graduation.
- take all the required Science classes at a Jr College ( would that be alright or should i take it at a university?? or does it matter??)
- volunteer at friends Dental office.
- Work my @ss off like i did in high school, to get the grades i need.
- Study for the DAT.
- Any thing else i should do to perpare for applying???

Goals
- Apply to Dental school in 2006.
- Ultimately graduate by 2010 with my dental degree in hand.
- Get my own practice by the time I am 30 years old. ( i am 21 right now)

So what ya think ? how are my chances??

Thanks for the insight.

Jason

Do well on the DAT. I can only assume that admissions is going to get tougher and tougher in the next few years, so you cannoit afford any more foul ups in grades. Try raising your GPA another point to a 3.0.

Basically what you guys are saying is for us out of college with GPAs that are shot. It's late to rely on GPA or to raise them, instead shoot for DAT. The excellent grades in the post bacc will serve as a flag that you've changed but not dent the pathetic GPA?:confused:

Who else here has had an overall GPA of under 2.5?
I just barely beat that, but with the courses that I've taken lately with the grades that I have gotten I think I can boost it to about 2.7.I know it's nothing but it is a start. This sucks because all the A's that I will get will not budge the overall GPA that much.
+pity+

^^^ Don't worry they look a lot more at recent performance, so do well in your post bacc and get a good DAT score and you'll be fine.

You score well on the DAT, 21+, and schools will look in to your application. If they see and increasing preformance, then that will be taken in to consideration. Basically keep the grade up during the final quarters and year of school and kill the DAT, you will have a desent shot at admitance. May not be your top choice, but nothing to complain about.

Originally posted by Thaxil
You score well on the DAT, 21+, and schools will look in to your application. If they see and increasing preformance, then that will be taken in to consideration. Basically keep the grade up during the final quarters and year of school and kill the DAT, you will have a desent shot at admitance. May not be your top choice, but nothing to complain about.

Thaxil, I'm glad you are a SDNer not some admissions officer in a dental school. I've noticed that you tend to take a very hardline stance on people with low GPA(which in my case you might be right).:)

Hey Does it matter where i take my core science classes at?? I have to meet that requirement of 1 year of biology, chem, org-chem, and physics still.

I was planning on taking it at a Jr. College since it will be cheaper than the cal state im goin to now, do the dental school look at that or i shouldn't even worry about it.

thanks for the help

take them at a community college. that's what I plan on doing.

Many Schools like IUSD, OSUCD and CASE will require you to take the pre-dental courses at a 4 year institution.

My advice would be take the sciences at 4 year instituition, admissions would like to see that.

Originally posted by blankguy
Thaxil, I'm glad you are a SDNer not some admissions officer in a dental school. I've noticed that you tend to take a very hardline stance on people with low GPA(which in my case you might be right).:)

Hey you can't blame Thaxil for that, coz think about it, if your GPA is lower than most ppl who apply how do you expect to stand out? You have to prove yourself somehow on an academic level. Because that is what dental school is, an academic institution. So you have to do well on the DAT. If you have a high GPA, you still have to do well on the DAT b/c that would confirm you're good, since they are aware of grade inflation.

Standardized tests might not always be the best indicator of success but they are very good. That's why a combination of grades and DATs are important.

Originally posted by Mo007
Many Schools like IUSD, OSUCD and CASE will require you to take the pre-dental courses at a 4 year institution.

My advice would be take the sciences at 4 year instituition, admissions would like to see that.

True, but not every student will want to attend these "many schools." It all comes down to the DAT: you can't hide.

Originally posted by Woodsy
Hey you can't blame Thaxil for that, coz think about it, if your GPA is lower than most ppl who apply how do you expect to stand out? You have to prove yourself somehow on an academic level. Because that is what dental school is, an academic institution. So you have to do well on the DAT. If you have a high GPA, you still have to do well on the DAT b/c that would confirm you're good, since they are aware of grade inflation.

Standardized tests might not always be the best indicator of success but they are very good. That's why a combination of grades and DATs are important.

I'm not blaming him. I do agree with what you said.

Originally posted by Woodsy
then oops sorry my bad.

+pissed+ :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

You don't need to apologize. My original comment was made due to Thaxil taking such a hardline stance and potentially scaring people with "disadvantaged background" like myself.

Heh, I like the way I put it. :D
"Disadvantaged background" now includes low GPA.:oops:

Originally posted by busupshot83
True, but not every student will want to attend these "many schools." It all comes down to the DAT: you can't hide.

Well, there are a lot of factors admissions looks at - 4 years of college coursework is one of them - and since the competition is rising - you will be suprised what schools will prefer to see.

nyu acceptance today.... 3.0 club represent!!! :)

Okay, Im under 3.0... a 5th year student. My gpa is around 2.9 and 2.7 AADSAS gpa... Had a Fail and couple D's with multiple Withdrawals my sophomore, junior, and senior year. Got placed in Academic Probation three times my junior and senior year. I was gonna give up Dental altogether and go play poker for a living (weekly income of $1000)... But got an acceptance letter from NYU dental 2 weeks ago. My DAT score is 23, 20+s across..
Maybe my crappy gpa and decent DAT triggered their curiosity.. i did pretty ok in the interview... i was really honest with everything..

Don't BS in the interview.. like act like u kno alot about dentistry... cuz honestly, they don't care.. they wanna see what you are.. not what you did.

Everybody has hope.:hardy:

Originally posted by Teefdoctor
Okay, Im under 3.0... a 5th year student. My gpa is around 2.9 and 2.7 AADSAS gpa... Had a Fail and couple D's with multiple Withdrawals my sophomore, junior, and senior year. Got placed in Academic Probation three times my junior and senior year. I was gonna give up Dental altogether and go play poker for a living (weekly income of $1000)... But got an acceptance letter from NYU dental 2 weeks ago. My DAT score is 23, 20+s across..
Maybe my crappy gpa and decent DAT triggered their curiosity.. i did pretty ok in the interview... i was really honest with everything..

Don't BS in the interview.. like act like u kno alot about dentistry... cuz honestly, they don't care.. they wanna see what you are.. not what you did.

Everybody has hope.:hardy:

Very nice TeefDoctor! :clap: Now go make the "Under 3.0 Club," and yourself, proud! :thumbup:

My original comment was made due to Thaxil taking such a hardline stance and potentially scaring people with "disadvantaged background" like myself.

I originally thought that schools care if your background was disadvantaged or what your story is, but I have become a bit skeptical of there statements regarding this. If there was one thing I do regret from the admission process is mentioning my background in the personal statement. I should of kept everything rosy and peachy. I really think they don't care at all about that stuff. I think there definition of disadvantage = Black or Hispanic or what ever underrepresented group. I do not think disadvantage can mean dirt poor white dude. Basically if you have a poor GPA do not expect them to say, ?well he is a first generation college student from a very poor and large family and worked thoughout college so this is understandable.? Sorry, I have a problem with complaining.

Anyways, I do not think tell someone with a 2.7 gpa that they need at least 20?s on the DAT is hardline. What do you expect? Do you think you with get accepted because kids throw rocks at you when you were younger.

714guy,

I would suggest that you take the required course at the UC system. I know it is significantly more expense then CalState and surely more then CC. However, admissions is all about proving your self with out a doubt competent. Thus, if they are unaware of the CC you attend, they will not respect your grades that are obtained. For instance, you have a 2.9 GPA for the four years in school, then you attend an unknown CC and get all A?s in the required courses. What do you think is the thought that will arise. Take the course at UC and get good grades to prove your capabilities. You can also do this on the DAT. Remember there are 3 GPA that D-school consider. Overall GPA, sci-GPA and BCP-GPA, and the required course are in BCP and other difficult course like Biochemistry that you will take in D-schoool. So, I think your grade received course consider for the BCP is highly reguarded.

Originally posted by Thaxil
I originally thought that schools care if your background was disadvantaged or what your story is, but I have become a bit skeptical of there statements regarding this. If there was one thing I do regret from the admission process is mentioning my background in the personal statement. I should of kept everything rosy and peachy. I really think they don't care at all about that stuff. I think there definition of disadvantage = Black or Hispanic or what ever underrepresented group. I do not think disadvantage can mean dirt poor white dude. Basically if you have a poor GPA do not expect them to say, ?well he is a first generation college student from a very poor and large family and worked thoughout college so this is understandable.? Sorry, I have a problem with complaining.

Anyways, I do not think tell someone with a 2.7 gpa that they need at least 20?s on the DAT is hardline. What do you expect? Do you think you with get accepted because kids throw rocks at you when you were younger.

714guy,

I would suggest that you take the required course at the UC system. I know it is significantly more expense then CalState and surely more then CC. However, admissions is all about proving your self with out a doubt competent. Thus, if they are unaware of the CC you attend, they will not respect your grades that are obtained. For instance, you have a 2.9 GPA for the four years in school, then you attend an unknown CC and get all A?s in the required courses. What do you think is the thought that will arise. Take the course at UC and get good grades to prove your capabilities. You can also do this on the DAT. Remember there are 3 GPA that D-school consider. Overall GPA, sci-GPA and BCP-GPA, and the required course are in BCP and other difficult course like Biochemistry that you will take in D-schoool. So, I think your grade received course consider for the BCP is highly reguarded.

I agree with you. I was making those comments in jokingly. Not to be taken so seriously. People like myself have a long road of proving to do.

CONGRATS to you both dicolphie and teefdoctor.

glad to see more and more of us making it!:clap:

Hi all. I want to add myself as a newly minted member of the under 3.0 club! My overall GPA is 3.26, but my science GPA is a 2.5 by my calculation. I have yet to take the DAT, but plan on taking it later this summer or fall.

I do have a question about post bacc programs. I do not currently live anywhere near a school that has a true post-bacc program, nor can I move to be near one since I have a wife and 2 small youngins'. However, I do live near (2 miles) from a large state university and could potentially tailor my own post-bacc program. Should I retake the pre-req classes needed (this will mean repeating some I had C's and a D +pissed+ in 8-10 years ago) and blow them out while also taking some classes like Genetics, Histology, Anatomy, etc.? Or should I look at doing something else to make me competitive GPA-wise?

I know I need to blow out the DAT. I have taken one of the topscore exams and my lowest scored section was a 21 ... most hovered around 23.

This forum is great for folks that flubbed school earlier in life. :D

msummmer,

welcome to the club.

wow, your profile is very inreresting and unique. i really think that you should seek some advice from an adcom person at a dental school. the fact that you are doing really well on topscore and have a overall GPA 3.26 looks very good. However, there is the 2.5 sci gpa. i don't know how schools will look at your file.

as far as you retaking those D grade classes goes, can you retake them? i am sure you could retake them through an extended learning program but they won't change your undergrad transcript because you may have graduated already.

i still think that you maybe fine with your current profile IF your DAT scores end up being 21's.

good luck

PERFECT3435,

Thanks so much for the reply and acceptance into the club :thumbup:. My situation is a bit unique ... my wife calls me weird all the time :laugh: . I did graduate from University of Tennessee - Knoxville with a BS in marketing so the grades I had previously are basically written in stone.

With my science GPA being sooooo weak, I worry that I may be an auto-decline. My state dental school UT-Memphis has a policy that none of the pre-reqs should be more than 5 years old. Having graduated in '98, all of my classes are 5+ years old. I wonder if I should retake all the pre-reqs or just some. I am currently taking Physiology and Microbiology part time and pulling very high A's. My low scores were a product of too little time because of work to pay for school and survive. I will take your advice and talk to some adcoms at some schools. UAB will actually be recruiting at the local state university this Thursday. My original dream was to become a dentist and I hope I haven't made pursuit of that impossible by some early flubs in life.

msummar_smc:

Welcome to the club! My advise for you my man is this:

If your state schools are only looking at pre-req courses that are within 5 years old and your grades are older than 5 years, then retake all pre-reqs!

I say retake them all for the following reasons. First, not only your state dental schools want to see fairly recent grades, but I do believe most dental schools in the country would want to see recent grades ESPECIALLY in the pre-req courses. Secondly, since we have a lower science GPA to work with, it would be in your advantage to demonstrate your current maturity by acing all the pre-req courses that you've previously suffered in. Admissions like to see that kind of stuff. You need to show that you are no longer the "old you" now by getting some good grades.

Thirdly, you speak of a "self-made Post-Bac" curriculum, you have a perfect possibility right here! Retake all chemistry, organic, physics, calculus and/or biology courses that you received a "D" or "C" in and piggyback it with an upper division course like the ones that you are taking. Others I would recommend are:

Biochemistry
Histology
Human Anatomy
Neuroanatomy
Pathology

Lastly, I would recommend you retaking some of your previously failed courses because in doing so, you'd be prepping for the DAT at the same time. A lot of the SDNer on here have taken their DAT after or around the time they took pre-re courses and they end up doing really well in those sections of the DAT.

Speaking of the DAT, it is highly recommended that you attempt to acheive 20/20 on the DAT. Is it required? No, but highly recommended. With a 20/20, of course, another mean to demonstrate to the admissions that you are now serious and ready for dental school. A 18/18 will get you by, a 20/20 will say "I mean business"!

The hole you dug yourself in is not as deep as you think. I had a deeper "hole" to dig myself out of back in the days. You have a decent cumulative GPA, that will work to your advantage. Currently, you have TWO very effective opportunities to your disposal to make your future AADSAS application very successful:

1) you have the opportunity to retake all or most pre-req courses since they're all older than 5 years old (great way to make your application shine if good grades are acheived)

2) you have the opportunity to use your future DAT score since you haven't taken it yet. You must do well here.

I know thinking that much ahead can be overwhelming. I recall back in 1999 when how bad I wanted to apply to dental schools, but I couldn't because of my grades. Thinking ahead about how I must improve my application and my statistics had discouraged me a lot of the time. All those courses that I had to retake, all that time I have to FURTHER invest in (getting older) and all that tuition money I had to pay again, it was for sure a long treacherous road that I had to walk on! Now 5 years later, I'm a second year dental student having a blast doing what I'm doing and not regretting one bit what I had invested into myself and my future!

My point is this, if dental school is what you want, then you'll get it. You can't rush things and you definitely can't fast forward time. Just take one step at a time and you'll one step closer to being a dental student and eventually a dental medical doctor! One last thing, don't let the "age thing" discourage you either. I'm 29 now and will be 31 when I receive my DMD degree.

Study hard.

Andy
Under 3.0 Club Founder/CEO

Thanks for reinforcement Yah-E, I constantly go back and reread this thread.

About the age thing. I heard of a guy who used to be a contractor and switched careers in dentistry in his mid 40s and went to Tufts. Since he made a killing with his previous job financially he paid for the schooling himself.:wow: In his case I guess age can be an advantage since he comes out of dental school with no debt.

Also on the GPA discussion from the previous page. If a person has had a mediocre GPA throughtout his or her undergrad years wouldn't that mean that he or she would have to make sure that she can maintain the new postbacc GPA by dragging out one or 2 yrs beyond the couple that it takes? Wouldn't this convince adcom that he or she can be competitive?

Excellent post E-Yah! You are a true resource to all us 3.0 and under members.

Status
Not open for further replies.