The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just finished my 3rd year of undergrad at a Big Ten University. I am a Canadian citizen, but I have been living in the US since the age of 4. I don't have my green card just a student visa. I not planning to apply until next summer (2014). I am retaking my DAT and will hopefully be volunteering as a dental assistant at the Salvation Army over the summer as well.

GPA: 2.99
sGPA: 2.75
DAT: AA 19

I don't have any preference of where to go to school. My number 1 choice is Michigan, but at this point I don't think I have a chance.

It's going to be tough, you need to get a 4.0 your last year to show these schools you can hack it. I think you will have a good shot at Michigan (if that is your school), can you become a US citizen and gain residency in Michigan? It will make things a whole lot cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

I just decided to switch to pre-dentistry from business. I will probably major in biology to be exact. Business is just not my thing, it is boring me and frankly I think I just picked it because I wasn't positive what I wanted to do; way to fit the stereotype I know. I have always wanted to do something with the body/medical but never thought I was smart enough. I used to be lazy and just did enough to get by. I have matured a lot in the past year/two and now want to move on to greater things. I know I can work hard enough to do this. I plan on job shadowing a lot, not just for my application, but to figure out if this is what I want to do for sure. Here's the thing:

cumulative gpa-2.75 (It is bad, but I never had a grade in college below a C if that matters. Like I said, I used to just do enough to get by and now I am paying for it)

science gpa- This is the good part I guess you could say. I am taking my first biology class this summer so I haven't started my science courses yet. I did take a couple science classes for gen eds a while ago like weather and climate which I did well in, but nothing that pre-dent requires. I am going for straight A's in all my science courses. If not that, I am confident I can attain a 3.5 in my science classes because I enjoy that kind of thing, have a good work ethic (I do now, I didn't used to), and have always been very self-motivated. I plan on absolutely working my ass off, anything it takes. I enjoy the challenge of school.

I will still be undergrad for probably a few more years, ~3, because of this major change (just turned 22 years old). If I work extremely hard which I know I will, is there a good chance I can raise my GPA enough to be competitive for dental school? I will put in a lot of volunteering and job shadowing hours, so right now I am strictly talking about grades here. I am confident I can, but I am just curious about other's input because this has been stressing me lately and I am wondering if I am in a rough position or if I am OK. I am sure I am overly stressing about this. Thanks a lot everyone.

I am focused on grades right now, but just thinking far ahead I really really want to attend Marquette, since I live about an hour and 45 minutes from there. Otherwise Minnesota or Michigan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just decided to switch to pre-dentistry from business. I will probably major in biology to be exact. Business is just not my thing, it is boring me and frankly I think I just picked it because I wasn't positive what I wanted to do; way to fit the stereotype I know. I have always wanted to do something with the body/medical but never thought I was smart enough. I used to be lazy and just did enough to get by. I have matured a lot in the past year/two and now want to move on to greater things. I know I can work hard enough to do this. I plan on job shadowing a lot, not just for my application, but to figure out if this is what I want to do for sure. Here's the thing:

cumulative gpa-2.75 (It is bad, but I never had a grade in college below a C if that matters. Like I said, I used to just do enough to get by and now I am paying for it)

science gpa- This is the good part I guess you could say. I am taking my first biology class this summer so I haven't started my science courses yet. I did take a couple science classes for gen eds a while ago like weather and climate which I did well in, but nothing that pre-dent requires. I am going for straight A's in all my science courses. If not that, I am confident I can attain at least 3.5 in my science classes because I enjoy that kind of thing, have a good work ethic (I do now, I didn't used to), and have always been very self-motivated. I plan on absolutely working my ass off, anything it takes. I enjoy the challenge of school.

I will still be undergrad for probably a few more years, ~3, because of this major change (just turned 22 years old). If I work extremely hard which I know I will, is there a good chance I can raise my GPA enough to be competitive for dental school? I will put in a lot of volunteering and job shadowing hours, so right now I am strictly talking about grades here. I am confident I can, but I am just curious about other's input because this has been stressing me lately and I am wondering if I am in a rough position or if I am OK. I am sure I am overly stressing about this. Thanks a lot everyone.

I am focused on grades right now, but just thinking far ahead I really really want to attend Marquette, since I live about an hour and 45 minutes from there. Otherwise Minnesota or Michigan.

Schools love upward trends in GPA. I think you will have no problem getting in if you stick to your plan. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I am a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy with a biology majors GPA of a 2.8 and my DAT scores were average:

AA:18
PAT:18
But got a 21 on RC.

Any thoughts on my chances? Thanks!!

Hey guys,

I am a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy with a biology majors GPA of a 2.8 and my DAT scores were average:

AA:18
PAT:18
But got a 21 on RC.

Any thoughts on my chances? Thanks!!

Hmm, if I were you, I wouldn't apply this cycle. Take some more courses to get your gpa above a 3.0 and retake the DAT to get like 21+, and you'll be in much better shape.

Does being a D1 athlete all four years help me to get in as well?

Yes I am currently serving my ADSC. But I can begin a health sciences masters at any time which is something I feel would be very beneficial. I am not sure which one would be the best?

Sorry, I think I might have sounded confusing. Being a part time student can be done, but I am not sure what schools offer. I have not looked into this in depth yet. But any ideas of possible programs would be great! :thumbup:

Sorry, I think I might have sounded confusing. Being a part time student can be done, but I am not sure what schools offer. I have not looked into this in depth yet. But any ideas of possible programs would be great! :thumbup:

https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

University of Cincinnati Special Masters Program (M.S. Physiology)
Georgetown SMP (M.S. Physiology)
Boston University (M.A. Medical Sciences)- or BUMAMS
Drexel University Interdepartmental Medical Sciences (IMS) - Masters in Medical Sciences (M.M.S.)
Eastern Virginia Medical School (M.S. Biomedical Sciences)
Rosalind Franklin University (M.S. in Biomedical Sciences)
Indiana University (M.S. Health Sciences)
Loyola University (M.A. Medical Sciences)
Tulane University (ACP Program (Pharmacology)
Virginia Commonwealth University
Barry University
University of Pennsylvania Special Sciences Program
UMDNJ
Dartmouth University C.E.C.S. Center for Evaluative Clinical Sciences

Glad that this thread is around, I was hoping someone could help me find what my chances are in this crazy, competitive field.

sGPA: 2.9 (undergrad 2.6, grad 3.5)
oGPA: 3.0 (undergrad 2.9, grad 3.5)
DAT: T/SAA-20 (20/20/22), PAT-22, QR-19

Shadowing hours: 100+

I didn't do too hot the first few years of undergrad so I entered a master's program. This will be my third time applying. In the past, I have been only applying to a handful of schools (10) mostly in my state (CA) and northeast where my mom lives. I will most likely be applying to many more schools this time around. I was debating about retaking my DATs (since my GPA is on the lower side, maybe a higher DAT score will help me more) this summer but I won't be able to take them til end of July. However, I want to be able to turn in my app early June and be considered early... so not sure about what to do. Other options I have this summer are to take classes to be a certified dental assistant and work and maybe take some classes in the fall or do more research (dental related). But anyways, I would just like some advice on what my chances are for this coming cycle.

Thank you!

What other things do you think I should do to build up my application?

It's going to be tough, you need to get a 4.0 your last year to show these schools you can hack it. I think you will have a good shot at Michigan (if that is your school), can you become a US citizen and gain residency in Michigan? It will make things a whole lot cheaper.

What do you think think I should do to improve my application? I have about 100 hours of volunteering and only I do not attend University of Michigan and will not likely become a citizen before applying. Money isn't really an issue either. If I did 24+ on my DAT would that help?

I just finished my 3rd year of undergrad at a Big Ten University. I am a Canadian citizen, but I have been living in the US since the age of 4. I don't have my green card just a student visa. I not planning to apply until next summer (2014). I am retaking my DAT and will hopefully be volunteering as a dental assistant at the Salvation Army over the summer as well.

GPA: 2.99
sGPA: 2.75
DAT: AA 19

I don't have any preference of where to go to school. My number 1 choice is Michigan, but at this point I don't think I have a chance.
You're right. Your chances are slim right now. Being a permanent resident means you have the same status as an American citizen when applying to dental schools.

What do you think think I should do to improve my application? I have about 100 hours of volunteering and only I do not attend University of Michigan and will not likely become a citizen before applying. Money isn't really an issue either. If I did 24+ on my DAT would that help?
To give you some perspectives, out of the thousands of students who take the DAT yearly, less than ~150 receive 24+ on the DAT. Don't overestimate yourself. You can retake it aim for 24, but be happy with 20+. It's your GPA that's your biggest issue. If you want to do well, get into a masters program in biology and get a 4.0 then apply next June.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is my first post in this epic thread, I'm hoping to get some advice from you seasoned pros:

Graduated in 2010 with a BS in Kinesiology - Outdoor Education (emphasized technical wilderness skills and theory of progressive education models) and decided to pursue a career in dentistry after I graduated. I had a few rough spots early on in undergrad, and my GPA was pretty rotten. Since graduation, I've completed all pre-reqs at a reputable 4-year institution. Coursework included biochem (300 level), physio (400 level), and genetics and cell bio (200 level) with a 3.70 GPA over 45 credits. I hadn't taken any BCP classes in undergrad, so luckily that GPA is unscathed and remains at 3.70.

I've raised my GPAs as follows:

undergrad oGPA 2.94 ----> Now 3.15
undergrad sGPA 2.60 ----> Now 3.28
undergrad BCP GPA N/A ----> Now 3.70

I took the DAT and got 22 AA / 22 TS / 25 PAT / 19 RC / 20 QR / 25 BS / 22 OC / 22 GC

100+ hrs Shadowing, a few specialties, mostly GDs
500+ hrs Volunteering (largely non-dental related, ~50 hrs volunteering with a mobile dental care van through Ronald McDonald)
500+ hrs work experience with mentally and physically disabled pts
1000+ hrs work experience in education
1000+ hrs work experience in TV/distance learning production studio

My question is, should I continue to take classes at the undergrad level, pursue an SMP, or do my chances look OK at this coming cycle? I plan on applying very broadly to 25+ schools in early June. I'm leaning towards continuing on with more upper level bios, but I haven't signed up for more classes yet.

Last edited:
This will be my third time applying if I decide to turn in my application June 3rd.
Here is why I am debating if I should apply ...

2012 Cycle: I got rejected, with no interview
sGPA 2.6 oGPA 2.9
1st DAT: AA 16 TS 17
Its obvious why I got rejected, but I only applied to a few schools to see how it is.

2013 Cycle: I got rejected, with no interview
sGPA 2.8 oGPA 3.1
Graduate GPA (all science course) GPA 3.5
2nd DAT: AA 18 TS 17
3rd DAT: AA 20 TS 19

I am a non-degree graduate student (I will be in the MS program this fall and will finish it by the end of next year), taking classes concentrating in microbiology and have an overall gpa 3.5 with 30 credits. (I have 4 Bs, The rest are B+ and As)
I am doing research this summer and fall
I have over 500 plus hours of shadowing and good personal statement (the admissions person at my state dental school said so when I met with him)

My heath care committee said that since I am older (23) than the traditional applicants, I come off as more confident and mature. However, the biggest problem is whether or not I am able to take on the workload...:(

Should I apply this cycle? Will I get an interview? After so many rejections, my passion to become a dentist is diminishing slowly....

this is my first post in this epic thread, I'm hoping to get some advice from you seasoned pros:

Graduated in 2010 with a BS in Kinesiology - Outdoor Education (emphasized technical wilderness skills and theory of progressive education models) and decided to pursue a career in dentistry after I graduated. I had a few rough spots early on in undergrad, and my GPA was pretty rotten. Since graduation, I've completed all pre-reqs at a reputable 4-year institution. Coursework included biochem (300 level), physio (400 level), and genetics and cell bio (200 level) with a 3.70 GPA over 45 credits. I hadn't taken any BCP classes in undergrad, so luckily that GPA is unscathed and remains at 3.70.

I took the DAT and got 22 AA / 22 TS / 25 PAT / 19 RC / 20 QR / 25 BS / 22 OC / 22 GC

500+ hrs Volunteering (largely non-dental related, ~50 hrs volunteering with a mobile dental care van through Ronald McDonald)

My question is, should I continue to take classes at the undergrad level, pursue an SMP, or do my chances look OK at this coming cycle? I plan on applying very broadly to 25+ schools in early June. I'm leaning towards continuing on with more upper level bios, but I haven't signed up for more classes yet.

You look okay this coming cycle as long as you do apply everywhere like you said you will.

Like I always say, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I say you should take more undergraduate classes. If good news doesn't come in the beginning of December then you will be able to add another semester worth of As during the academic update and consequently increase your chances.

Don't do masters yet. Continue with advanced bios and acing them. Applying to 25+ schools is wise. Make sure you throw in all the private schools in there. I really think you're gonna be fine. I'm smelling 4 interviews in the air.

This will be my third time applying if I decide to turn in my application June 3rd.
Here is why I am debating if I should apply ...

2012 Cycle: I got rejected, with no interview
sGPA 2.6 oGPA 2.9
1st DAT: AA 16 TS 17
Its obvious why I got rejected, but I only applied to a few schools to see how it is.

2013 Cycle: I got rejected, with no interview
sGPA 2.8 oGPA 3.1
Graduate GPA (all science course) GPA 3.5
2nd DAT: AA 18 TS 17
3rd DAT: AA 20 TS 19

I am a non-degree graduate student (I will be in the MS program this fall and will finish it by the end of next year), taking classes concentrating in microbiology and have an overall gpa 3.5 with 30 credits. (I have 4 Bs, The rest are B+ and As)
I am doing research this summer and fall
I have over 500 plus hours of shadowing and good personal statement (the admissions person at my state dental school said so when I met with him)

My heath care committee said that since I am older (23) than the traditional applicants, I come off as more confident and mature. However, the biggest problem is whether or not I am able to take on the workload...:(

Should I apply this cycle? Will I get an interview? After so many rejections, my passion to become a dentist is diminishing slowly....
Third time's a charm. Good DAT score for this cycle. Enroll in your MS program this fall and your grad GPA needs to go beyond 3.5. You should aim for anything less than a 4.0. You're not old at all. Average matriculant age is 24 or 25 for most dental schools. You're young. I'm pushing 30 and so are many others with career changes. I think you should apply early this year and apply to at least 20 schools. Make sure most of those schools are private, along with your own state school(s).

Which schools are you applying to?

I made a thread with a little statbook of the schools I'm applying to that you can find in my prof. I may add a few more/take a couple off as I refine the list tomorrow afternoon for the final selections. It will probably be ~25 schools. What's your grand total?

I made a thread with a little statbook of the schools I'm applying to that you can find in my prof. I may add a few more/take a couple off as I refine the list tomorrow afternoon for the final selections. It will probably be ~25 schools. What's your grand total?

I saw that but a lot of your schools are in-state schools that wouldn't apply to a NY resident like yourself.

Almost half the schools I'll be applying to are private. The remaining public schools were chosen because they have, relatively speaking, favorable OOS %ages.

how did you feel the first time you learned you needed to pay some schools an application fee in addition to the aadsas fee?

if that feel was anywhere near mine...we can be friends.

I felt like picking up rusty, face down pennies sitting in a pile of dung.

welcome, amigo. a journey is best measured in friends instead of miles.

A friend recommended being an escort to make ends meet.

LOL...I think we're getting some insight into the life of Kitty.

Seriously though, that only works for girls. I think male escorts have a much tougher time drumming up business.

But really seriously though, applying to 25 schools once with secondary fees is much better than applying to 20 schools twice with secondary fees. Either way it still sucks, and all I got from one of my interviews was a f*@king toothbrush....

i recall a post from someone during last year's cycle describing kitty at a school interview...

something about heels, and a skirt, and jaws sweeping the tile.

gonna need pics to corroborate.

I have a BS in Molecular and Cellular Biology with a gpa of 2.90, and I just graduated with my Masters in Biomedical Science with a 3.20. I am applying to dental school this cycle, and I will take the DAT at the end of July. What DAT score should I aim at to get a chance for interviews? Here are my stats:

-oGPA: 3.01
-sGPA: 3.02
-Shadowing: 310 hours (General, Endo, Perio, Ortho)
-Community Service: 1204 hours (Includes dental trips to Haiti and Honduras)
-Research: 1418 hours (Includes research at undergrad and grad university on cancer)
-Work: 6400 hours (Worked all through my undergrad)
-Committee Letter with four professors from grad courses, and One letter from a dentist
-Pre-dental workshop at two dental schools

I have a BS in Molecular and Cellular Biology with a gpa of 2.90, and I just graduated with my Masters in Biomedical Science with a 3.20. I am applying to dental school this cycle, and I will take the DAT at the end of July. What DAT score should I aim at to get a chance for interviews? Here are my stats:

-oGPA: 3.01
-sGPA: 3.02
-Shadowing: 310 hours (General, Endo, Perio, Ortho)
-Community Service: 1204 hours (Includes dental trips to Haiti and Honduras)
-Research: 1418 hours (Includes research at undergrad and grad university on cancer)
-Work: 6400 hours (Worked all through my undergrad)
-Committee Letter with four professors from grad courses, and One letter from a dentist
-Pre-dental workshop at two dental schools

Aim for a 30, hope for a 23+. Your masters GPA is pretty low. Drop everything your doing for the next two months and study your ass off.

Hi guys.

I graduated last year with a degree in engineering and a 2.8 gpa. In school I went through a some family problems and wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with my life so it was hard for me to stay focused in my classes. I worked for a year and realized engineering is not for me. I quit my job and did some soul searching and came to the conclusion that I want to pursue dentistry.

-My dilemma here is obviously my gpa, but also I have to finish my Bio and Orgo chem prereqs.
-Should i take my prereqs and if I hopefully get all A's maybe think about applying If I receive a good enough DAT score or should I consider additional postbacc work to push my gpa up to a 3.0?
-I really want to go to dental school, I just want to get there with the most proper planning possible?

So I had a 2.92 GPA in College with my s-GPA right around there too; maybe around 2.9-3.0.Was gonna go for engineering so took 2 semesters post bacc with eng physics 1&2, calc 3, diff eq. I got A's in those classes. Then decided to pursue dentistry and took 2 more semesters with:
Biochem (A)
Analytical chem (B+)
Stats(A)
Anatomy/physio (A-)
Sociology (A).

Overall I took about 33 credits post bac and had about a 3.75 GPA.

DAT: 20AA, 22PAT 19TS, 21BIO, 20GC, 18ORGO, 20RC, 20QR

since graduating I have been working as a project manager in construction for 3 years, taught english in Spain for 2 years, shadowed over 100 hours.

Is this interview-worthy?

Thanks

So I had a 2.92 GPA in College with my s-GPA right around there too; maybe around 2.9-3.0.Was gonna go for engineering so took 2 semesters post bacc with eng physics 1&2, calc 3, diff eq. I got A's in those classes. Then decided to pursue dentistry and took 2 more semesters with:
Biochem (A)
Analytical chem (B+)
Stats(A)
Anatomy/physio (A-)
Sociology (A).

Overall I took about 33 credits post bac and had about a 3.75 GPA.

DAT: 20AA, 22PAT 19TS, 21BIO, 20GC, 18ORGO, 20RC, 20QR

since graduating I have been working as a project manager in construction for 3 years, taught english in Spain for 2 years, shadowed over 100 hours.

Is this interview-worthy?

Thanks

Whats your GPA with those 33 post bac creds? I think you can get an interview but you may want to think about a DAT retake, its pretty average. To compensate for you low GPA you should probably get it up to a 22-23 TS/AA.

GPA went up to a 3.1 after the post bacc classes.

I would think you would get an interview, some schools have a 3.0 cutoff so you made that, but I think you would be lucky to get an acceptance (just my opinion, doesn't mean you wont). But I think a DAT retake would help you out greatly, and its a quick way to greatly improve your application and like I said, you need a high DAT to overcome your GPA. Look into some of the DAT breakdowns on the forums.

I would think you would get an interview, some schools have a 3.0 cutoff so you made that, but I think you would be lucky to get an acceptance (just my opinion, doesn't mean you wont). But I think a DAT retake would help you out greatly, and its a quick way to greatly improve your application and like I said, you need a high DAT to overcome your GPA. Look into some of the DAT breakdowns on the forums.

August 3rd is the earliest I can retake it. Am I allowed to submit application with updated scores and give updated scores later? I really want to be in that first-batch. Is 10-15 schools a good number of schools to shoot for?

August 3rd is the earliest I can retake it. Am I allowed to submit application with updated scores and give updated scores later? I really want to be in that first-batch. Is 10-15 schools a good number of schools to shoot for?

Yes you can submit and have your scores updated later. I went with 21 schools last cycle, I would recommend at least 15. I had a 3.2ish (4.0 masters GPA) and a 23 DAT, 4 interviews one acceptance.

Yes you can submit and have your scores updated later. I went with 21 schools last cycle, I would recommend at least 15. I had a 3.2ish (4.0 masters GPA) and a 23 DAT, 4 interviews one acceptance.

What happened to the other 3 interviews?

1/21 acceptances is brutal. Good job with all the improvements you did, your dedication payed off well.

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions about what I should do. I just finished my junior year. I graduated from my CC with a biology degree and a 3.5 gpa. I transferred to my current uni last year which was a quarter school, and my first quarter was really terrible (2.4). The very next quarter I had a 3.5 gpa. My gpa from just my uni is about a 2.85, but when I factor in the CC, it will barely be over a 3.0. I'd like to get into my state school (umdnj) and i'm going to apply to other places, but i'm not sure if I should even apply. There was an obvious upward in trend, but i'm still unsure..

I'm scheduled to take the DATs at the end of june. I'm hoping to score really well as all i've been doing is preparing. I started off shadowing and after about two months, I ended up working as my dentist's assistant.

Thank you all in advance

This thread has given me confirmation that I still have a chance!!!...Undergrad was very difficult due to commuting, working, and being a parent...I'm planning on pursuing a master's degree before applying to dental school. I've seen Barry University's master's program being mentioned, but does anyone know about the master's program at South Florida? I was told by an academic advisor there that it is a great program for students that plan to transition to professional schools (dent, med, vet, etc.)...

my cousin at first was not accepted at any of the dental schools she applied too, after doing the masters program at barry university, she got accepted into podiatry school instead.