The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dh55, are you ready to spend 3+ years in postbac?

Members don't see this ad.

well I was hoping for 2 years or less of postbac. I found a program that i liked that was only a year

It may take more time, that is to say, its a matter of credits, not years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I've been checking out these posts for awhile now and a few people seem to have similar issues to me. I figured I'd post to get a little advice for myself.

I have one semester of undergrad left and my current overall GPA is 2.41 and my science gpa is 1.96. I've taken ochem twice and got a C in it the second time. I'm also taking ochem 2 right now for the third time. I was unsure about what I wanted to do once I graduated.. At first I just wanted to get a job but after continuous shadowing and research I'm sure I want to go to dental school. I know SOMEONE will have some criticism but honestly I've heard it all and at this point I just need some honest help and advice. If I make some sort of game plan I'll have more motivation to go through with it and achieve what I want. At this point, I just feel like a lost cause.

I feel like the best option for me would be to pursue a postbac but I'm so confused as to what kind of postbac or which programs to apply to.

I've also considered not graduating next semester and staying longer to retake some of my classes but that is something I really don't want to do. I'd much rather start a postbac somewhere.

What would you suggest I do?

If anyone has any suggestions to any good programs or what my next step should be that will help me get accepted into dental school in the future that'd be great. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)
try to take the advice on here lightly. you NEED to get positive and get moving. I was in the exact same position as you three years ago, posting a similar question (im sure you can read my old posts of despair), and now I am a true example of hope. If you are willing to work hard for a solid two-three years, it IS possible.

I was a miserable case of a 'pre-dent'. it is still difficult not to dwell on my past and how badly I messed up. I had a 2.65 BCP gpa after undergrad (BS Biology and BA in Biopsych), 2.8 overall. my first DAT was 19AA/18TS/20PAT. I never applied to dent school tho kept my feet in dental settings despite but such a bad academic performance. i knew how bad i wanted it but just could not make it happen in my classes. I came home after college and did one year of 'post-bacc'/taking classes at community college (anatomy and phys, micro, etc.) and then came to a full university and have been doing post-bacc work studying chemistry for the last two years. I had one internship for a chemical company and have been doing a lot of research with a Biochem professor (to sort of test my passion for chemistry, and also to make my app stand out), and I have volunteered for a traveling dental clinic in my state. my shadowing is not tremendous, just consistent and I have not cured any rare illnesses or done anything of that spectacular nature. I have maintained a 3.8 gpa since starting my post-bacc work (had some 4.0 semesters, one 3.65 semester), and I have gotten one award and a scholarship. My second DAT was 21AA/22TS/22PAT. But overall I concentrated on doing a few 'different' things to help my candidacy stand out (ie., chem internship, research, etc) and also focused mostly on keeping upward trends in everything academic/professional related over the last 3 years. Anything I accomplished or was active in last year, I made sure to keep it up and do something more this year (ie., volunteer work, same/if not better grades in school). STILL though even after 3 solid years of straight As, my gpa only moved to a 3.1 (talk about a heartbreaking moment when I finally saw the gpa on my AADSAS app, after having not allowed my self to toy with gpa calculations during my post-bacc career).

And after 3 years of a massive uphill battle, I submitted my AADSAS app on July 16th (early-ish?), had supplementals in by August, and by September I had 4 interview invites scheduled pre-Dec 2nd. Last week I received another interview invite for January. On Monday I was accepted to one of my top choice schools. at 8 am on the dot the Dean called and I died inside. after 8 years of my life, i finally exhaled.

PM me with any questions. stay strong and try not to dwell on your previous performance. you just gotta start to make things happen differently.

Reactions: 16 users
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post here for people not to lose hope because of a low GPA. I know that it's going to be a tough battle and I applied to 15 schools this year and I just got into one today and it's my top choice as well (University of Michigan). I had under a 3.0 for both overall and science GPA and I don't want to post specific stats but schools don't look just at GPA obviously. I think I maybe had luck as well as a strong extracurricular background as a candidate. Feel free to message me if you want to ask me anything or just talk. Good luck to everyone!!!
Bro I have a 2.9 right now 2.7 from undergraduate and 3.53 from masters program biomedical sciences. My overall GPa still stinks any advice?

I think I posted on this earlier, but I wanted to come back and say it's not entirely impossible.

I had a 2.95sGPA, 3.25oGPA (yes, this is above, but NO where near the average).
I got one interview, one acceptance at my state school.

I definitely had a well rounded resume (shadowing, clubs, volunteering, research).
I also wrote a pretty decent personal statement.

My DAT was a 20, and I did well on the reading section and my chem sections.

It isn't impossible!

So I grad from a good 4 year uni as a neuro science major but my gpa isn't strong enough to just go straight to dental school. So ive been working at a low end retail job for about 2 months atm and purchased a 2 year gym membership and in the process of getting invisalign braces for my teeth since its something I always wanted to have. After I get my invisalign on, I am kinda lost as to what I should do to improve my chances for dental school. I have two distant relatives who are both practicing dentists so both says I can volunteer and shadow at their dental office, but after that I don't really know what to do. They both went to dental schools that I want to go to and I am thinking about asking if they know faculty there to help improve my chances.I am thinking about studying for the DAT and possibly take a couple of upper division science classes at a different university my house to improve my chances. My gpa is fairly low at a 3.03 ogpa and a 2.8 science gpa so need some advice on improving my chances. I have called around my area to try to get a job as a dental lab technician to improve my app, but just got rejections. Part of the reason my gpa is low was cause I didn't really know what I wanted to do, lacked focus and drive to work hard in school. I just merely coasted through undergrad. After volunteering a bit at dental office and studying upon it I find it very interesting, makes me a little giddy thinking about dental stuff, so I feel like I would work my butt off to achieve this. Can you guys provide me some advice and steps to steer me in the right direction? I am willing to take 1 or 2 years off before applying to dental school and apply everywhere to help improve my chances. My final option would choose smp route if all else fails and I don't get into dental school. I am in the US if that makes a difference for an aspiring dentist.

I did 3 years getting second bachelor and have ok dat. If I have to redo all over again, I would straight go to SMP route (only if you are ready), and build some ECs.

interesting, im scared of smp route because what if it is super hard and I get not so good grades. I will lose money and time, cause I don't know what I want to do other than dentistry. Did you find that smp route was harder than undergrad? I found that some of the classes in undergrad was pretty challenging and competitive especially with the bell curve. If I do smp route I wanna succeed and not just waste time. I feel like my first idea is a safer option, what do you think?

interesting, im scared of smp route because what if it is super hard and I get not so good grades. I will lose money and time, cause I don't know what I want to do other than dentistry. Did you find that smp route was harder than undergrad? I found that some of the classes in undergrad was pretty challenging and competitive especially with the bell curve. If I do smp route I wanna succeed and not just waste time. I feel like my first idea is a safer option, what do you think?

If you can't succeed in an SMP then you will know dentistry is not for you. I thought my masters was easier than undergrad but I also coasted through undergrad so it's hard to compare. I had a 2.9 sGPA, 3.1 oGPA, a 20 DAT and applied 3 cycles. Got a masters with a 4.0 and a 23 DAT then I was accepted. You can do it you just have to be willing to take the risk and work your ass off.

how u managed to get a 4.0? I coasted through undergrad like crazy. What made smp easier than undergrad? I assume smp route is simply taking certain set of classes and no thesis or anything right? Is it pretty much taking post bac courses?

Hey everyone!

I've been checking out these posts for awhile now and a few people seem to have similar issues to me. I figured I'd post to get a little advice for myself.

I have one semester of undergrad left and my current overall GPA is 2.41 and my science gpa is 1.96. I've taken ochem twice and got a C in it the second time. I'm also taking ochem 2 right now for the third time. I was unsure about what I wanted to do once I graduated.. At first I just wanted to get a job but after continuous shadowing and research I'm sure I want to go to dental school. I know SOMEONE will have some criticism but honestly I've heard it all and at this point I just need some honest help and advice. If I make some sort of game plan I'll have more motivation to go through with it and achieve what I want. At this point, I just feel like a lost cause.

I think, at this point, your best option would be to refine your study habits. I understand that a class might be difficult and you do poorly when you take it. The second time, you should be aware of the material and have some familiarity with it to do decently. Three times really makes it seem like you aren't putting in the time to learn the material at all. I think if you refine your study habits, you might have a shot. If you don't, and do a post-bacc or masters, things will only be more difficult for you.

For example, when studying O Chem, you'll probably have a list of 50-100 problems at the end of every chapter in your book. Go through and do every single problem, even writing out the complete detailed arrow mechanisms and intermediate steps so you master the material. This is a great textbook for that (http://www.austin-books.com/default.asp?pid=4731&gclid=CLu-oL2dobsCFSISMwodQGwAyQ), and you can get an answer book for it too. Regardless of what you end up doing, find some way to study that helps you learn and master the material. It will help you out for dental school in the future too.

Ok everyone. It's finally time for me to share my story in hopes of motivating others to believe that it's really possible to get into dental school if you've got the will and dedication necessary. I have relied so much on other people's experiences on here and feel like its now my turn to contribute.

I don't really want to provide any specifics of my situation and what school I will be attending this fall but I will tell you this:

I am the first person in my family to graduate from college and even attempt professional school. I never really had any doubts about wanting to become a doctor, since I was reading anatomy and physiology books ever since I was 6 years old! They looked like really cool picture books to me and I loved learning all the big names! lol :)

I absolutely excelled throughout high school and graduated with an Enhanced Diploma. When I got to college, however, everything just kind of fell apart. A combination of having to work a lot to pay rent and having a lot of personal problems stemming from money and family issues finally got the best of me and instead of finishing college with a bang, I dragged through with a whimper. Let's just say by the time I graduated from college, I was sitting on a 2.5 science GPA and 3.0 overall GPA. Granted I went to one of the best universities in the country, I was positive that my science GPA would stop me from getting into dental school anywhere. Being naturally stubborn and extremely persistent, I was determined not to make this be the end of my dream of becoming a doctor. For the next year, I cried, I yelled, I got angry, I gained 25 pounds, and I blamed everyone and everything for my shortcomings....but I never gave up! Then one day, while incessantly googling various alternative programs and paths for people in my situation, I stumbled upon a post-bacc program that seemed almost unbelievable! It was as if this program was catered to me, since its admission criteria was for disadvantaged students who didn't have it easy growing up and had to overcome various obstacles and work harder than other people just to be able to be on par with them. Miraculously, I gained acceptance to this program and was given a second chance to prove myself. During this year long post-bacc program, I excelled in my classes and retook the DAT and scored 20's across the board, improving upwards of 5 whole points in certain sections compared to the first time I took the test 2 years ago!

Now I'm so thrilled to announce that I was invited for an interview to my dream school and based on this school's interview/acceptance ratio, I have a phenomenal chance of getting accepted. :soexcited: When I was told that I've received an interview, that moment became stamped in my mind as the best day of my life.

So my message to you all is this. We all come from different backgrounds and have had various amounts of opportunities and luxuries handed to us. I know some of you may feel resentful about this and think that its unfair, but the good news is that there are schools out there who genuinely take that into consideration and will give you an opportunity to redeem yourself. It's on you to seek out the help thats just waiting to be given to you. Don't ever give up on your dreams and always keep in mind people like me, who never thought they would have a chance, but never stopped trying nonetheless and made it happen for them. Now more than ever, I am a true believer that, "where there is a will, there is a way". I'm sorry I couldn't give more specific names of institutions and programs, but my privacy is very important to me. All I will say, however, is that my post-bacc program was through a California school. I hope that helps. :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok everyone. It's finally time for me to share my story in hopes of motivating others to believe that it's really possible to get into dental school if you've got the will and dedication necessary. I have relied so much on other people's experiences on here and feel like its now my turn to contribute.

I don't really want to provide any specifics of my situation and what school I will be attending this fall but I will tell you this:

I am the first person in my family to graduate from college and even attempt professional school. I never really had any doubts about wanting to become a doctor, since I was reading anatomy and physiology books ever since I was 6 years old! They looked like really cool picture books to me and I loved learning all the big names! lol :)

I absolutely excelled throughout high school and graduated with an Enhanced Diploma. When I got to college, however, everything just kind of fell apart. A combination of having to work a lot to pay rent and having a lot of personal problems stemming from money and family issues finally got the best of me and instead of finishing college with a bang, I dragged through with a whimper. Let's just say by the time I graduated from college, I was sitting on a 2.5 science GPA and 3.0 overall GPA. Granted I went to one of the best universities in the country, I was positive that my science GPA would stop me from getting into dental school anywhere. Being naturally stubborn and extremely persistent, I was determined not to make this be the end of my dream of becoming a doctor. For the next year, I cried, I yelled, I got angry, I gained 25 pounds, and I blamed everyone and everything for my shortcomings....but I never gave up! Then one day, while incessantly googling various alternative programs and paths for people in my situation, I stumbled upon a post-bacc program that seemed almost unbelievable! It was as if this program was catered to me, since its admission criteria was for disadvantaged students who didn't have it easy growing up and had to overcome various obstacles and work harder than other people just to be able to be on par with them. Miraculously, I gained acceptance to this program and was given a second chance to prove myself. During this year long post-bacc program, I excelled in my classes and retook the DAT and scored 20's across the board, improving upwards of 5 whole points in certain sections compared to the first time I took the test 2 years ago!

Now I'm so thrilled to announce that I was invited for an interview to my dream school and based on this school's interview/acceptance ratio, I have a phenomenal chance of getting accepted. :soexcited: When I was told that I've received an interview, that moment became stamped in my mind as the best day of my life.

So my message to you all is this. We all come from different backgrounds and have had various amounts of opportunities and luxuries handed to us. I know some of you may feel resentful about this and think that its unfair, but the good news is that there are schools out there who genuinely take that into consideration and will give you an opportunity to redeem yourself. It's on you to seek out the help thats just waiting to be given to you. Don't ever give up on your dreams and always keep in mind people like me, who never thought they would have a chance, but never stopped trying nonetheless and made it happen for them. Now more than ever, I am a true believer that, "where there is a will, there is a way". I'm sorry I couldn't give more specific names of institutions and programs, but my privacy is very important to me. All I will say, however, is that my post-bacc program was through a California school. I hope that helps. :love:

Dude, you didn't get in yet...

Reactions: 1 users
Sincere congrats on your interview!

Your post was a bit confusing though b/c you use "doctor" and "dentist" interchangeably. I thought you were talking about med school for a bit there. Yes, dentists are doctors and have a doctorate, but I hope you realize the unfortunate truth of the matter when I say that the term "doctor" is very strongly associated with/inextricably tied to the term "physician", which we are not. Not just you, but pre-dents/dents also, I hope, are not going around introducing themselves as "a doctor". You are (hopefully) "a dentist" that many will acknowledge as Dr. So-and-so. I think it's ok to introduce yourself as Dr. so-and-so, but "a doctor" is misleading. I apologize if I'm coming off as an ass, but I think that some need to hear this. Not saying one field is better/more competitive than the other. Just commenting on the conventional usage of "doctor".

I hope you nail that interview which was no doubt well deserved.

To those of you who are completely missing the point of my post and are choosing to be negative and attack me, I just want to know that you're completely missing my point. I fully understand that I'm not accepted yet, but with the relationships I have built with my dream school through their post-bacc program, I know exactly where I stand as far as my admission chances. I actually had myself a chat with one of the admissions committee members so believe me when I say I know. Why some people are almost getting mad at my post is really beyond me but I will always choose to be an encouraging and motivating figure to others instead of choosing to listen to random negativity from anonymous people that I don't even know. I've said it before and I'll say it again, to those of you out there, especially the people in the sub-3.0 club, don't give up! There are many alternative routes to get you where you're trying to go. It took me 3 years after graduating from undergrad to get there, but the point is that I got there! If anybody has a question about what they can do to improve themselves, feel free to message me! :D

Sincere congrats on your interview!

Your post was a bit confusing though b/c you use "doctor" and "dentist" interchangeably. I thought you were talking about med school for a bit there. Yes, dentists are doctors and have a doctorate, but I hope you realize the unfortunate truth of the matter when I say that the term "doctor" is very strongly associated with/inextricably tied to the term "physician", which we are not. Not just you, but pre-dents/dents also, I hope, are not going around introducing themselves as "a doctor". You are (hopefully) "a dentist" that many will acknowledge as Dr. So-and-so. I think it's ok to introduce yourself as Dr. so-and-so, but "a doctor" is misleading. I apologize if I'm coming off as an ass, but I think that some need to hear this. Not saying one field is better/more competitive than the other. Just commenting on the conventional usage of "doctor".

I hope you nail that interview which was no doubt well deserved.

The comment below is not geared towards you because you're actually nice. I just find it silly that you care so much about not calling a dentist a doctor but instead using Dr. so so and ect...:laugh::laugh:
I personally think if you've got the authorization and skills to cut into someone's flesh, whether its in their mouths or other parts of their bodies, you're a doctor for all intents and purposes but to each his own I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Pm'ed b/c I don't want to jack this thread

WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, WE ARE DENTISTS!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Heres a question for ya. Oral surgeon that has a MD. Is he a doctor or Dr? Mind blown.

One would call an oral surgeon that has an MD a docentist or a dentoctor or a doctist or a dentor.....

Reactions: 7 users
Based on my experiences over the past 2 cycles I think gaining acceptance with sub 3.0 is extremely rare. Last cycle I had 3.07 cumulative and 2.86 sci with 20/22/22 (16rc) and avg EC, I literally received nothing. No rejection letter via email or snail mail just complete silence. Now this cycle with 3.2 and 3.0 (and a great upward trend with 4.0s and gpas close to 4.0) and a much better DAT score (in sig below) and more EC (shadowing private office for ~75hrs) I got only 2 pre-dec interviews out of the 14 schools applied to. A rejection and waitlist. With me at least the combo of high DAT low GPA did not pan out very well at all. A high DAT alone is not enough to save you if you have a low GPA and avg EC.

The only way I can see someone with a GPA around or below 3.0 get accepted is if the applicant is a nontrad that had a decent enough job for long enough or did massive amounts of research work and/or community service. Both of these people will still need at least a 22AA though.

The only way to save yourself from rejection hell or waitlist purgatory is to have a DAT that's around a 22AA or higher (with nothing below 19 or 20) and to also have awesome EC like nontrads sometimes do and those guys who do research and community service do.

Im highly dubious that the school Im waitlisted at will bring me any good news. I feel the same about my 1 post-dec interview I have scheduled in the end of january. Im going to be applying next june for the 3rd cycle, I really hate myself for not seeing the importance of unique EC until it was too late for this cycle.

People, learn from my mistakes. Show a good upward trend in your GPA and destroy the DAT but also remember to make your EC stand high above others by doing the standard of 100+ hrs of shadowing that everybody else does and something else unique that few do.

I learned this all out when I became buddies with a guy I met during interviews. His cumulative was ~3.1, science 3.0, 23AA and a 1000+hrs of research. My cumulative GPA and DAT scores are both higher than his so you would assume Im at a better place than him but that is not so. He had 7 pre-dec interviews as of that day I met him in late October and I had only 2 measly interviews.
Hey just curious, when did you apply?

Speak it into existence!!! I'm rooting for you and your an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing

maybe not early enough? lol
Like others said it is very early. I should've been in 1st batch but due to a delay in my transcript being mailed out I was bumped to 2nd batch. I don't think being in 1st or 2nd makes much of a difference anyway.

At my first university I had a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (four semesters) and at my second university I am attending I have a 3.62 after the third semester. Do I have a chance at dental school?

At my first university I had a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (four semesters) and at my second university I am attending I have a 3.62 after the third semester. Do I have a chance at dental school?

There is always a chance. Depends on a number of variables including the number of total credits with a 2.5 GPA, number of total science courses already taken, etc.

Don't give up hope if it is truly what you want to do. I just got my 5th interview of the cycle. However every case is different and everyone has a story to be told. Good luck to all.

Hello everyone!
Decided it was time to officially join the club and get some advice. I figured since I was out of school for so long, I'd have to not only improve my previous undergraduate GPA, but also show the dental admissions committee that I can handle science coursework after such a long break. I am currently studying for the GRE's and getting my applications ready for postbacc/bio masters programs but was wondering which one was more suited for a candidate with my background:

I've been out of school for 5 years now.
I graduated with a B.S. in Biological Sciences at Univ. of MD - Balt. Co. in 2009 with a overall 2.9gpa/2.5sgpa (approximate).
Took my DAT's in 2008 ( 17 TS/26 RC/15 QR/24 PAT/17 AA..don't remember the exact breakdown of each science section and can't see my results anymore).
Have spent the last 2 years applying to the Air Force for a pilot slot and was not selected.
Before that I worked for the Princeton Review in Korea (Gangnam Style to the max)as a college admissions consultant for 2 years.

I've learned that starting the journey/process to dental school is half the battle and I do believe I am serious this time. While I do have to give up my dreams of serving and protecting my country as a pilot (due to budget cuts/low recruitment…smh) I hope to serve the community as a health professional shooting down decayed teeth one at a time! But seriously, after traveling around the world and watching my father practice for 20+ years now, I've decided I'd like to someday work in underprivileged countries and volunteer my time overseas while traveling.

I know its a little late at 28yo but I figure I have nothing to lose. No kids, no wife, and no debt.
Any advice on which direction would best suit my background would be greatly appreciated! My research online suggests I should go for some type of academic enhancement track through a formal post-bacc or a master's program for 2 years to improve my GPA and retake my DAT's. Thank you in advanced!

long post

you've made the right choice to pursue dentistry. and you recognize the need to improve how you look on paper before you get on this.

what immediately troubles me is that you have a degree in biology (something heavy in science courses, presumably), yet your sgpa is in the dumps. this likely means you'll need a metric ton of additional sciences to move the needle in some appreciative way. my question, this forum's question, and especially any given adcom's question, will be: "why did you do so poorly?" you didn't seem to mention that in your post. if you feel you've gotten a handle on that, you're ready for more coursework.

i'm unfamiliar with admission requirements for the masters programs that help prospective dental students, but i think at this point it's a little premature for you to even look their way. the cold reality is that your ugrad gpas need a lot of work. you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that you may be facing some 60+ credits of science heavy coursework doing a 4.0ish performance to get your overall and science gpas close to, at, or above that magic 3.0 mark. and that could be just a prelude to doing a one year masters.

is dr perks still teaching organic?

you've made the right choice to pursue dentistry. and you recognize the need to improve how you look on paper before you get on this.

what immediately troubles me is that you have a degree in biology (something heavy in science courses, presumably), yet your sgpa is in the dumps. this likely means you'll need a metric ton of additional sciences to move the needle in some appreciative way. my question, this forum's question, and especially any given adcom's question, will be: "why did you do so poorly?" you didn't seem to mention that in your post. if you feel you've gotten a handle on that, you're ready for more coursework.

i'm unfamiliar with admission requirements for the masters programs that help prospective dental students, but i think at this point it's a little premature for you to even look their way. the cold reality is that your ugrad gpas need a lot of work. you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that you may be facing some 60+ credits of science heavy coursework doing a 4.0ish performance to get your overall and science gpas close to, at, or above that magic 3.0 mark. and that could be just a prelude to doing a one year masters.

is dr perks still teaching organic?

I will agree with the above post. It will take a tremendous amount of effort on your behalf to accomplish your goals. That is neither to say that it is not possible, nor that it is not the right career choice for you to make. All that I am saying is that I was once in your shoes and that it will take a tremendous amount of sacrifice to even get schools to take you seriously. The easy metaphor would he trying to pull up the Titanic with a fishing pole. Simply put, even though a second degree with a 4.0 (implying a second bachalors) is impressive, the fact that the first degree is science based would simply be a drop in the oGPA/sGPA bucket. Even after that, if you completed a SMP with stellar marks, it still may be a uphill battle, in addition to the the time and money it would take to accomplish it. However, with all that said, years down the road you may get solace from the fact that years from now as a practicing dentist, laughing at what you had to do to get where you are (its gonna suck for a LONG time).

Is it worth it? Depends on your motivations. But if it truly is what you want to do and will make you happy to wake up each morning, then by all means you should shoot for the stars.

Best of luck to you and your future endevors!

Never give up... Never surrender!

I will agree with the above post. It will take a tremendous amount of effort on your behalf to accomplish your goals. That is neither to say that it is not possible, nor that it is not the right career choice for you to make. All that I am saying is that I was once in your shoes and that it will take a tremendous amount of sacrifice to even get schools to take you seriously. The easy metaphor would he trying to pull up the Titanic with a fishing pole. Simply put, even though a second degree with a 4.0 (implying a second bachalors) is impressive, the fact that the first degree is science based would simply be a drop in the oGPA/sGPA bucket. Even after that, if you completed a SMP with stellar marks, it still may be a uphill battle, in addition to the the time and money it would take to accomplish it. However, with all that said, years down the road you may get solace from the fact that years from now as a practicing dentist, laughing at what you had to do to get where you are (its gonna suck for a LONG time).

Is it worth it? Depends on your motivations. But if it truly is what you want to do and will make you happy to wake up each morning, then by all means you should shoot for the stars.

Best of luck to you and your future endevors!

Never give up... Never surrender!

Thank you all for your comprehensive insight. To be honest, I was just never interested and rebelled against the fact that I would have to take over my father's practice. I wanted to create my own shadow and not stand in his for the rest of my life. So…I pretty much screwed myself as a biology major but the low 2.5 sgpa might be a little higher. I never got a D. Just a few C's with several A's and B's sprinkled in. A's in both semesters of physics. A's in general bio/chem/lab. Orgo is where the C's started showing up. And cell/animal/plant biology was when I started slacking. A good 50/50 mix I'd say. I haven't truly calculated how many credits I would need to get in.
I figured…its been 6years since my last science class. Hoping to take the simple/possibly ignorant approach of getting back into school. Apply and get into a reputable post-bacc/master's program, kill the DAT's, and trying to maximize my application to recreate myself as a very holistic candidate for dental school. I now do believe there is more than one way to get into a school after my experience as a college admissions consultant. I really appreciate the reality check you guys gave me, but just trying to stay hopeful and take it one year at a time.

Do you suggest I just start taking science courses again at any 4yr school to raise up the science gpa? Or try to get into a masters/post bacc with a GRE score and take courses that way?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

*I can't say for sure. I did take one of Dr. Perks' org.chem classes during the summer but that was almost 6 years ago haha.

Thank you all for your comprehensive insight. To be honest, I was just never interested and rebelled against the fact that I would have to take over my father's practice. I wanted to create my own shadow and not stand in his for the rest of my life. So…I pretty much screwed myself as a biology major but the low 2.5 sgpa might be a little higher. I never got a D. Just a few C's with several A's and B's sprinkled in. A's in both semesters of physics. A's in general bio/chem/lab. Orgo is where the C's started showing up. And cell/animal/plant biology was when I started slacking. A good 50/50 mix I'd say. I haven't truly calculated how many credits I would need to get in.
I figured…its been 6years since my last science class. Hoping to take the simple/possibly ignorant approach of getting back into school. Apply and get into a reputable post-bacc/master's program, kill the DAT's, and trying to maximize my application to recreate myself as a very holistic candidate for dental school. I now do believe there is more than one way to get into a school after my experience as a college admissions consultant. I really appreciate the reality check you guys gave me, but just trying to stay hopeful and take it one year at a time.

Do you suggest I just start taking science courses again at any 4yr school to raise up the science gpa? Or try to get into a masters/post bacc with a GRE score and take courses that way?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

*I can't say for sure. I did take one of Dr. Perks' org.chem classes during the summer but that was almost 6 years ago haha.

PM me for more info, with more stats and what not. You can do it. its practically inevitable :)

What do you think are my chances of getting into dental school with a low gpa 2.75 and a high dat 24? I have already graduated and I don't know how to raise my gpa. Could I take undergrad science classes as a nondegree student? because at this point my gpa is not high enough to get into most postbac or master programs. I would be taking undergrad classes at a nearby university. Does anyone know how that gets calculated in AADSAS? Also, I am currently working in a dental office as a dental receptionist and hoping to become a dental assistant. So, I have several hours in a dental office.

What do you think are my chances of getting into dental school with a low gpa 2.75 and a high dat 24?

very, very low. i've only heard of one story on these forums where a student matriculated with nearly identical numbers, but he was a non-trad with significant life history. how was your academic performance over your last four consecutive semesters?

I have already graduated and I don't know how to raise my gpa. Could I take undergrad science classes as a nondegree student?

you can, which is to say it's a near certainty that you must.

I would be taking undergrad classes at a nearby university. Does anyone know how that gets calculated in AADSAS?

same as any other coursework. it will just get lumped in to the rest of the ugrad grade pile. however, aadsas chunks it out chronologically by term so schools can readily see things like upward trends. use that to your advantage.

Also, I am currently working in a dental office as a dental receptionist and hoping to become a dental assistant. So, I have several hours in a dental office.

not enough light here to outshine that poor gpa. while it's nice to have that exposure to the dental field, your number one priority should be demonstrating to adcoms that you are 100% solid academically. i made a post like half a dozen spots up from here so i'm giving you the abridged version: heavy course loads (preferably all science), straight A's, probably a masters in your future as well.

since you have no posts i looked in your post history. you have a lot of work ahead of you. are you a non-trad career changer, urm, have any extraordinary life circumstances beyond 'i was immature in college'?

What do you think are my chances of getting into dental school with a low gpa 2.75 and a high dat 24? I have already graduated and I don't know how to raise my gpa. Could I take undergrad science classes as a nondegree student? because at this point my gpa is not high enough to get into most postbac or master programs. I would be taking undergrad classes at a nearby university. Does anyone know how that gets calculated in AADSAS? Also, I am currently working in a dental office as a dental receptionist and hoping to become a dental assistant. So, I have several hours in a dental office.

Although it's great that you're working in a dental office as a receptionist, most dental schools would not consider that shadowing hours since you're up at the front desk and not doing any actual observations. It is a good start on work experience though.

Regarding taking classes as a non-degree-seeking student, most colleges and universities allow you to do that, so I would do that if I were you. Also, you could take (or re-take) prereq classes at community colleges (if there are any nearby), too (most dental schools accept up to 64 credits from ccs or something like that). They're so much cheaper and, in my opinion, some of the professors are just as good or better than the typical 4-yr college/university professors. Since not that many people take higher level science classes at community colleges, the class size is much smaller and you get more personalized attention. Community colleges are great for non-traditional students who already have an undergrad degree, because you can work and go to class in the evening (since cc's tend to be more flexible and often have some science classes available in the evening). I have been working full time and attending prereq classes for the past year and a half (it's hard to shell out $2500-$3000 per class at a university when you can take it at a community college for ~$800), so it's not that difficult. You just have to be motivated and dedicated to becoming a dentist.

Got into Colorado last week!!!! 1 interview and 1 acceptance! :soexcited:
All it takes is 1!!

Reactions: 5 users

I can't believe I forgot to give an update on this thread but I am officially accepted to the school I was talking about in the above post!!!!!!! Now you guys can be sure that I meant what I was talking about as far as not losing hope and persevering through obstacles and rejections. I am happy to give any advise or assistance. Thanks to those of you who supported me.

Hey guys, I was wondering what you think about my stats.

BCP GPA - 2.78
Science GPA - 2.95
Non- Science GPA - 3.54
Total GPA - 3.12
Significant upward trend.
(ADEA AADSAS calculated)

and my DAT is

Biology - 18
General Chem - 18
Orgo - 19
Math - 16
PAT - 21
RC - 18
AA - 18
TT - 18

I am sure these are not good enough for admission (since I applied this cycle and have been rejected, not sure why I even bothered to apply :(). I was wondering what options I have out there. Should I do a post-bac or a SMP?
For EC I have shadowing many aspects of dentistry about 300 hours, volunteer work about 100 hours, and 1 year of research.
Should I do more EC, if what what are some unique things to do?
Just need help out there :unsure:.

Last edited:
Retake DAT, minimum 20 across the board, apply SMP ASAP.

Retake DAT, minimum 20 across the board, apply SMP ASAP.

Should I retake them and reapply this summer? or after 1 year of SMP.

Also are there any specific dental ones, I know of the one at BU which I applied to this week, I am also applying to the one at PCOM, and Drexel.

Your chances would maximize after you complete the SMP.
Barry has one, WesternU. Tufts, Case Western.

I graduated Spring 2011 as a bio major with a 3.0 oGPA and something like a 2.8 sGPA (not sure). I took my GREs in March just so I would have some kind of score to apply to a master's program with (I haven't taken my DATs yet). With just that and a glowing letter from my boss (an orthodontist) I managed to get waitlisted for Midwestern AZ's masters program and accepted to UMNDNJ's program. I'm taking my DATs in August to hopefully bump myself up a little on the wait list, but it's unlikely that I'll get into the school so I need to find other options on what to do.

What kind of classes should I take at a community college to boost my GPA? I assume I should take science courses, but could they be just any science courses? Is taking classes at a CC or masters even the right way to go or should I consider a dental post-bacc instead? I'm just kind of lost, and I've tried reading through the thread, but some of the posts are so old I don't know if its even applicable anymore. :( My other biggest issue is getting letters of recommendations. Will getting them from teachers at a CC suffice?

My current plan is to somehow miraculously score well on the DATs and apply next cycle (Summer 2013) to a dental school AND to masters programs next year, just in case. This way, I'd be attending some kind of school in September 2013. I realize that this means I could get accepted to a dental school WHILE attending a masters program, but I just didn't want to take the chance of not doing anything for yet another year.

This was me almost 2 years ago. After earning my masters degree and taking my DATs for the first time and then again a second time, I'm happy to say that I've been offered a seat in MWU-IL's dental class of 2018! I'm completely excited and can't wait to start that next chapter in my life. I just came back here to encourage all of you in the under 3.0 club. It's possible, it's completely possible to be where you want to be if you work for it. Good luck to you all!

And in case anyone was wondering, I did my masters at MWU-AZ. I had an amazing experience and would recommend this program to anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users