The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys so here's my story

I graduated 2014 Fall with 3.0 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I took DAT back in last June and I received a devastating scores of 15AA 16TS 16PAT and the second time I took the DAT, I received 20AA 21TS 17PAT (nothing below 17). I have 500 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours with general dentist and member of various clubs at my university. I am worried about my low GPA, do you guys think I have a chance if I apply in early June with this GPA and DAT score? I don't want to do SMP if I can get in with this score and GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to share a success story with everyone here.

Today I was accepted to dental school. I am still in shock. I cried uncontrollably for a bit. I know it may seem a bit melodramatic and all to some but this is a little bit of my story:

I was expelled from school in 2007 with a 0.8 GPA. I was an economics major back then. So subsequently I decided that college maybe just wasn't for me and I started working full-time at a warehouse. Three years later, in 2010 (long story short), I decided to re-enroll in school and try science. It was the hardest thing I ever did at the time. I remember an advisor telling me to consider finishing my economics degree because I would fail again by trying science. To be fair, she had a point. I didn't even know what a neutron was (went to HS in one of the worst districts in the US). However, I made a promise to myself and to my family that I would graduate.

I grinded hard. Probably studied like 40-50 hours a week. I got better and better at chemistry and biology. I liked chemistry better so I decided to major in chem. Two years later, I added a biochem degree. I graduated in 2014 with a double major in chemistry and biochemistry. I took the DAT in May 2014 and did extremely well. Throughout this time period I definitely shadowed and did a lot of volunteer work with my school's pre-dent society and other organizations. I'm leaving out a ton of details for the sake of time and length of this post but I was able to share my story with an ADCOM at UTHSCSA and even did a summer program with them.

My final stats (TMDSAS):
overall GPA: 2.64
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.14
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 1.88
DAT: 24TS/22AA/18RC/19PAT/20QR

I was a first-time applicant.....
Never give up! Keep fighting 'til the end! In Christ all things are possible :)
Good luck to everyone and hope this gives someone a little bit of hope :)

That upward trend must have been godly. Congrats bud!

Reactions: 1 user

I graduated 2014 Fall with 3.0 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I took DAT back in last June and I received a devastating scores of 15AA 16TS 16PAT and the second time I took the DAT, I received 20AA 21TS 17PAT (nothing below 17). I have 500 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours with general dentist and member of various clubs at my university. I am worried about my low GPA, do you guys think I have a chance if I apply in early June with this GPA and DAT score? I don't want to do SMP if I can get in with this score and GPA.
You def have a chance for an interview if u apply early to many schools incl private institutions. Keep continuing those shadowing hours after submitting ur application and send them an updated email (call schools to see if they accept updated emails).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You def have a chance for an interview if u apply early to many schools incl private institutions. Keep continuing those shadowing hours after submitting ur application and send them an updated email (call schools to see if they accept updated emails).

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely apply early and get everything in as early as possible.

I graduated in 2012 with a 2.98sci/3.2overall and a 19AA/24PAT. Applied to 8ish schools and didn't hear a peep from any of them all cycle. I was ready to give up and went and worked for a year, but realized that I didn't want to regret giving up without being able to say I gave it my all.

I quit my job, took the GRE, and did a non-thesis master's in Biology and was able to pump out a 3.9 in a year (one B in a required stats course, everything else A's). Sent all my applications out right in June; got 1 pre dec. invite, 2 post dec. invites, and 2 acceptances. I'll be attending what was my stretch school: UofMichigan.

My one word of advice is don't give up until you give it your all. A poor undergrad GPA does not by any means stop you from getting into your dream program. And don't be afraid to take the GRE! I see way too many people on here trying to get out of it and looking for master's programs that accept the DAT. I didn't even study for the thing... its a joke! You don't need to kill it and get into Harvard for your masters! And if you get into a Master's in biology/chemistry program as opposed to BMS you will be a much better candidate for industry jobs if dentistry doesn't work out. I snagged a 70k job after my master's and so can anyone else with a more widely acknowledged master's degree.

3 years after my undergrad and I will finally be attending dental school. Good luck and don't give up hope!

Reactions: 10 users
Hello everyone! I never thought I would be writing this today and sharing my success story for all of you on this thread. For many years I looked on here for inspiration and hope to not give up on my dream. After many many years of ups and downs in my life I have finally been accepted into Dental schools. I like many of you started out rough in college. My gpa was horrible, I repeated tons of classes due to a combination of things. My parents had never been through the process and I now realize I did not have the maturity to be in school on such a hard path to be a dentist. I didn't know all the sacrifices I would have to make to be successful. After attempts of going over seas and money issues among other things I could not finish dental school elsewhere either. I came back to the U.S. and finished my degree with a 2.6 gpa. My science gpa was horrific as you can imagine, 2.45 to be exact. I had given up all hope that i would EVER get in. I started teaching and in motivating my students to be what they want and fight for what they want, I motivated myself. I decided to go back to school and retake all my sciences which were 10 and 12 years old. I started out working full time and I was determined to make it this time around. All the excuses about working full time before ( I had no other choice ) were no longer an excuse. I took a full load. Took Chemistry, labs and biology with the labs. I spent weekdays at work and school and weekends at school studying like I've never done before. I was getting A's in all my classes. I couldn't believe what a diferent student and person I had become. I realized though that I could not continue to neglect my husband and school would get harder and I had to sacrifice my full time job. It almost cost me my marriage. My husband didn't really get what I was doing or why. I finished school after 1 year taking full time loads, and sometimes having 1 or 2 part time jobs. I volunteered at school in different organizations and did shadowing as well. I never made less than a B. Of course my gpa was still not great. It had gone up to 2.98. Many times between going from job to job, exhaustion, and problems at home I questioned myself if it was worth it. I retook my dat and got 19 in all sections and a 20 on ochem. It was a huge increase from my 16 AA three years ago. I applied with hope that someone would see my effort. Someone did. I received many rejections but it doesn't matter, because I received one acceptance from a school that saw my work and that's all that matters.
Don't give up! Your hard work will pay off!
Good luck to all of those reading this thread to find some hope. Trust me don't get discouraged by all these high gpas and high dats you can do it too if you put in the work.

Reactions: 10 users
Hello everyone! I never thought I would be writing this today and sharing my success story for all of you on this thread. For many years I looked on here for inspiration and hope to not give up on my dream. After many many years of ups and downs in my life I have finally been accepted into Dental schools. I like many of you started out rough in college. My gpa was horrible, I repeated tons of classes due to a combination of things. My parents had never been through the process and I now realize I did not have the maturity to be in school on such a hard path to be a dentist. I didn't know all the sacrifices I would have to make to be successful. After attempts of going over seas and money issues among other things I could not finish dental school elsewhere either. I came back to the U.S. and finished my degree with a 2.6 gpa. My science gpa was horrific as you can imagine, 2.45 to be exact. I had given up all hope that i would EVER get in. I started teaching and in motivating my students to be what they want and fight for what they want, I motivated myself. I decided to go back to school and retake all my sciences which were 10 and 12 years old. I started out working full time and I was determined to make it this time around. All the excuses about working full time before ( I had no other choice ) were no longer an excuse. I took a full load. Took Chemistry, labs and biology with the labs. I spent weekdays at work and school and weekends at school studying like I've never done before. I was getting A's in all my classes. I couldn't believe what a diferent student and person I had become. I realized though that I could not continue to neglect my husband and school would get harder and I had to sacrifice my full time job. It almost cost me my marriage. My husband didn't really get what I was doing or why. I finished school after 1 year taking full time loads, and sometimes having 1 or 2 part time jobs. I volunteered at school in different organizations and did shadowing as well. I never made less than a B. Of course my gpa was still not great. It had gone up to 2.98. Many times between going from job to job, exhaustion, and problems at home I questioned myself if it was worth it. I retook my dat and got 19 in all sections and a 20 on ochem. It was a huge increase from my 16 AA three years ago. I applied with hope that someone would see my effort. Someone did. I received many rejections but it doesn't matter, because I received one acceptance from a school that saw my work and that's all that matters.
Good luck to all of those reading this thread to find some hope. Trust me don't get discouraged by all these high gpas and high dats you can do it too if you put in the work.
Happy your hard work paid off. Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome!! May I ask which school you are going to??

Hi guys. So I'm in the same situation as most of you all. Have a 2.95 gpa with a similar science gpa. I just got accepted to the Masters program at Barry University for their 2 year dental track. I have 19s on my DAT and the only thing that concerns me is that will this look good for dental schools? I dont want to be wasting thousands of dollars in a masters program when I should just be working on a post bacc. Any help is appreciated

Hi guys. So I'm in the same situation as most of you all. Have a 2.95 gpa with a similar science gpa. I just got accepted to the Masters program at Barry University for their 2 year dental track. I have 19s on my DAT and the only thing that concerns me is that will this look good for dental schools? I dont want to be wasting thousands of dollars in a masters program when I should just be working on a post bacc. Any help is appreciated

I would recommend Masters program and retake DAT. I personally had great success through masters program. But you do need to pull of GPA over 3.6 during your program to have legitimate chance. And try to score at least 20+ on your dat. Thats the only chance.

Look at the previous post, I feel like all is not lost. I would still really appreciate it if any of you could give me a few pointers on which school I should look in to applying and let me know if there is anything I can do to increase my chances of getting accepted.

Here is a small summary of my life:
GPA: 3.081
Science GPA: ~2.6
Leadership: President of Operation Smile, in student government, and in minority student groups, on the planning committee for Give Kids a Smile for 2 years.

Work History: ~1 year as an inter (pretty much was trained on the spot as a dental assistant), dental case manager at a non-profit
Certificate: X-ray handling, CPR certificate, I may have to get Market place application certificate at my new job.
Demographics: Latina, 1st generation student
I took the DAT last summer and received a 18 overall but I am planning on retaking the exam this year.

I am looking for the same advice everyone else is looking on here!

So far, college has been a roller coaster ride for me. I am a junior biology major (I don't really know why bio when I'm so bad at it). I am really just wondering if I should apply this June.
My cGPA is not good at all, it is a flat 3.0 and my sGPA is 2.9. My DAT scores were AA 20 TS 20 PAT 19
I am done my junior year and this year was supposed to be a GPA booster, but that NEVER goes as planned.
Realistically, I feel like an average applicant with those numbers, if not less than average.
The main school I want to get into is Temple; I have a student worker job there which is a decent pull I have. Other than that, I want to apply to NYU, TUFTS, UPitt, WVU, Howard, Boston U, and maybe USC.
I feel like I do not have enough schools to apply to and I want to know if I should apply anywhere else?
Will I get interviews at any of these schools with those numbers and where?
Is there anything else I need to do?
Dentistry has been a dream of mine ever since 8th grade where we had a careers class and had to do a class project. Ever since, I have no looked back. I know my DAT score and GPA are neither outstanding, but I want to hold onto a little bit of hope before giving up.

Hey, I am also applying this cycle, but I have yet to take my DAT...(my nervous are though the roof for when I take it in June :scared:).

It is definitely worth it to apply in my opinion since if on the chance you somehow did not get in dental schools can see your persistence and academic improvement.

I would use the ADEA guide to look at more schools personally. If I were you I would probably add a few more private schools with larger class sizes where the average 'stats' (GPA and DAT) are a lot broader in number. For instance, NYU and Tufts.

I am pretty sure on your application you can list any thing that went on in your life that may have affected your grades such like a family death, personal health etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in the same position as you are. Just graduated with a 2.82 Ogpa and a SGPA of 3.2. I applied to Barry as well for the masters program because a friend of mine just graduated from there with a masters In biomedical science. It was a one year program no thesis and she just got admitted to Howard dental school. I don't understand why your doing a two year dental course masters when you can easily to a one year biomedical and go to dental school next year. You have a solid DAT score dude. Donta waste money and time!!! Lol me on the other hand might do a post bacc for a year and send my app

Last edited:
You have a solid DAT score dude. Donta waste money and time!!!

With 19's and a below average GPA, I'd say that retaking the DAT is his best chance at strengthening the presentation of his academic abilities. The average for accepted dental students is around 20 now. Having one stat (GPA or DAT) below average isn't an application killer, but having both below average is going to be an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 users
Where are all the 3.0 sdners who made it into dental schools ?

She's some light fellow 3.o's

I'm in the same position as you are. Just graduated with a 2.82 Ogpa and a SGPA of 3.2. I applied to Barry as well for the masters program because a friend of mine just graduated from there with a masters In biomedical science. It was a one year program no thesis and she just got admitted to Howard dental school. I don't understand why your doing a two year dental course masters when you can easily to a one year biomedical and go to dental school next year. You have a solid DAT score dude. Donta waste money and time!!! Lol me on the other hand might do a post bacc for a year and send my app
Thanks man! I'm going to talk to the advisers and will try to speed up my time there for sure. Good luck with your post bacc and keep your head up. We're gonna get this!

How did you raise your scores? I am in a similar position

Every time i see this thread with no update with 3.0gpa enrollees, I cry and get worried....

SDN makes up a small small small small small smaaaaaaaall percentage of those who actually attend Dschool. Just gotta keep rollin my man.

Yea

Your right.... I forget sometimes .....

Thank you white paper tree, for that positive reinforcement..... You are like a staple, holding positivity and potential energy together, instead of two papers, in this case....

Some humor, but I meant it.

Hey everybody! I have a 3.08 GPA with a 2.77 sGPA and 19AA/19TS/25PAT and pretty good ECs and I'm applying this round. Quick question I have for ya. I am going to be taking a Summer term of 6 credits of science classes which would boost my sGPA up to at least 2.87 assuming I do well. Should I wait to apply and everything until I have the grades for that (Aug 24)? Or should I apply early and take my chances? Or do they get the updates of my grades or something? Not sure how it works. Help me. I'm so ignorant. Thanks!

@sandcalf take this year off, take full time courses in upper div bio and maintain a 3.7+. Applying this cycle with those numbers is just throwing money.

Hey everybody! I have a 3.08 GPA with a 2.77 sGPA and 19AA/19TS/25PAT and pretty good ECs and I'm applying this round. Quick question I have for ya. I am going to be taking a Summer term of 6 credits of science classes which would boost my sGPA up to at least 2.87 assuming I do well. Should I wait to apply and everything until I have the grades for that (Aug 24)? Or should I apply early and take my chances? Or do they get the updates of my grades or something? Not sure how it works. Help me. I'm so ignorant. Thanks!

You are wasting money. Don't apply this cycle. Do more postbac work or get a master.

@sandcalf take this year off, take full time courses in upper div bio and maintain a 3.7+. Applying this cycle with those numbers is just throwing money.
Thanks for the advice. I actually did think a lot about this and I asked some schools I'm interested in and they told me that, though it is a gamble, I should apply. And besides, I'm made of money. Just picking up dentistry as a hobby ;)

Thanks for the advice. I actually did think a lot about this and I asked some schools I'm interested in and they told me that, though it is a gamble, I should apply. And besides, I'm made of money. Just picking up dentistry as a hobby ;)

Donate 10k+ to the school you like, it will increase your chances.

@sandcalf lol, then those schools definitely want your supplemental money. Besides money, it is just nerve wrecking waiting for those e-mails. Want to donate some money to me? ill take it for a rate lower than federal loans lol.

@sandcalf lol, then those schools definitely want your supplemental money. Besides money, it is just nerve wrecking waiting for those e-mails. Want to donate some money to me? ill take it for a rate lower than federal loans lol.
Ha yeah I bet that the waiting for the emails is going to be the worst! And ya I wish I was actually loaded, that would make all of this stuff so much easier. Do you know if the schools get updates on grades? I'm crossing my fingers that I can prove you all wrong about it being a waste of money ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Sort of random question: how many of you who've been accepted wrote a personal statement emphasizing perseverance and explaining our low GPA's? I spoke to an adcom and he advised me against even addressing my undergrad GPA.

Also, with applications now open, what schools are sub3.0-friendly? haha

Sort of random question: how many of you who've been accepted wrote a personal statement emphasizing perseverance and explaining our low GPA's? I spoke to an adcom and he advised me against even addressing my undergrad GPA.

Also, with applications now open, what schools are sub3.0-friendly? haha

Really?

I kinda thought it is a good idea to acknowledge and give a brief reason pertaining to not so good academic events

Really?

I kinda thought it is a good idea to acknowledge and give a brief reason pertaining to not so good academic events

It was the opinion of one adcom but he pretty much said don't dwell on it.

Last edited:
Any 3.0 dental students or dentists still out there?

Hellooo

i'm applying this cycle. my science bcp is 3.02 and my overall is 3.14
schools im thinking of applying to

1. midwestern- az
2. loma linda
3. uop
4. usc
5. lecom
6. midwestern - IL
7. indiana
8. u of kentucky
9. new england
11. boston u
12. detroit mercy
13. at still
14. creighton
15. nebraska
16. unlv
17. nyu
18. buffalo
19. case western
20. u of oklahoma
21. oregon
22. pittsburgh
23. temple
24. meharry
25. Tennessee
26. roseman
27. vcu
28. marquette
29. western

are any of these schools a reach or OOS unfriendly?

Anyone on this thread get interviews / acceptances (without a masters) in their first cycle applying? Took the DAT today and am kinda worried...

Applying with a 2.99 overall, 3.1 science gpa and my DAT: 19AA 20TS 22RC 19PAT!! Strong upward trend and good LORs let's see what happens :D

1. midwestern- az
2. loma linda
3. uop
4. usc
5. lecom
6. midwestern - IL
7. indiana
8. u of kentucky
9. new england
11. boston u
12. detroit mercy
13. at still
14. creighton
15. nebraska
16. unlv
17. nyu
18. buffalo
19. case western
20. u of oklahoma
21. oregon
22. pittsburgh
23. temple
24. meharry
25. Tennessee
26. roseman
27. vcu
28. marquette
29. western

Bro thats like 3k right there you applying to almost half the schools.

Anyone on this thread get interviews / acceptances (without a masters) in their first cycle applying? Took the DAT today and am kinda worried...
whatcu get, Ik they tell you the scores post-test right?

How long and how in depth did you study for your DATs?

1. midwestern- az
2. loma linda - SDA friendly
3. uop
4. usc - most expensive for pbl.
5. lecom - pbl ok with you?

6. midwestern - IL
7. indiana
8. u of kentucky
9. new england
11. boston u
12. detroit mercy
13. at still - do you have good volunteer experience (+1000hrs)?
14. creighton
15. nebraska

16. unlv
17. nyu
18. buffalo
19. case western
20. u of oklahoma
21. oregon

22. pittsburgh
23. temple
24. meharry - URM?
25. Tennessee

26. roseman
27. vcu
28. marquette

29. western

Double check the underlined ones using ADEA guide book.

you might want to find out what those are before you even consider applying or interviewing lecom and loma linda...google?

ohhhh sorry i know that usc is pbl I didn't know there was an acronym for it.
also SDA I know too haha. Sorry too many acronyms :dead:

GPA: Overall 3.203 / sGPA: 3.098 [technically I'm not in the "club" but I'm close!]
PAT: 20 QR: 18 RC: 25 Bio: 19 Gen Chem: 19 OChem: 22 Total Science: 20 AA: 21

Over 100 hours of dental shadowing and over 200 of volunteering
20o+ hours of microbiology research and 50 hours of animal behavior research

Reapplicant and AZ resident. Thinking of applying to Nova, LECOM, MOSDOH, ASDOH, BU, MDW AZ and IL, and NYU. I would apply to USC but I can't find a liberal arts professor to write me a letter lol. Any thoughts?

GPA: Overall 3.203 / sGPA: 3.098 [technically I'm not in the "club" but I'm close!]
PAT: 20 QR: 18 RC: 25 Bio: 19 Gen Chem: 19 OChem: 22 Total Science: 20 AA: 21

Over 100 hours of dental shadowing and over 200 of volunteering
20o+ hours of microbiology research and 50 hours of animal behavior research

Reapplicant and AZ resident. Thinking of applying to Nova, LECOM, MOSDOH, ASDOH, BU, MDW AZ and IL, and NYU. I would apply to USC but I can't find a liberal arts professor to write me a letter lol. Any thoughts?

USC isn't strict about the liberal arts requirement.