The University of Oklahoma Waitlisters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soonerfan77

Rather be golfin'
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread just for us. Anyone hear any news yet?
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, I doubt we'll hear anything until mid May.

Historically, the waitlist has a lot of movement. Sooooo, chances are pretty good. There has been some movement already, and nine people have already been taken off the waitlist. Called Lisa fo da info. But I've been checking the other threads('09,'10 class threads) and you are right. Most of the movement happens after the May 15th deadline.
I wonder if Admissions will keep their ticker fairly up-to-date. Right now it only shows 162 acceptances offered. Should be 171.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am an in-state waitlister awaiting some news.

Apparently you get 5 scores based on your interview and the best you can do is 5 "accept" scores. If you are one of the first 140 people to interview and you receive 3 accepts you are automatically in. After that I guess they start accepting people with 5 accepts that have high GPA and MCAT's. Anyone else venture to guess how many of the 48 people left on the waitlist have 5 accepts?

I would assume that all 48 have 5 accepts. I was told that if the three interviewers give the go ahead to accept you then the remaining AdCom simply follows suit. The difference is when one is interviewed. With rolling admissions, seats are filled continually. So, those with later interview dates are at a disadvantage because there are fewer seats to compete for. Those individuals who were deemed "acceptable", or with 5 accepts are placed on the waitlist. I do know from my conversation with Lisa that the waitlist is ranked. So the 5 accept theory may be correct and not everyone has 5. She did mention that there are two lists, though. One for resident and one for non-resident, but the total number of waitlisters is still 57, well 48 now. :cool:

Not all could have 5 accepts, i was on the waitlist last year until August and I had 1 accept and the rest "defers"-- but who knows.

Its interesting that they don't tell you what rank you are on the waitlist. . .

Fishin' for others bump.....

I just got an OOS acceptance off the waitlist dated May 15th. Big Sooner Red Envelope.

trying to get this thread moving again for the 2008 cycle...

anybody have any details on the waitlist?

i know that historically there is quite a bit of movement on the waitlist, but this year there are 91 people on it. it seems quite unlikely that the majority of waitlisters would be getting in this year.

also, from what i know there hasn't been a ranking on the waitlist before. they've told us this year that there is a ranking, but they won't tell us what our rank is. this is more problematic for those of us trying to make other plans. i have to put down a $2000 deposit for my number 2 choice by march 15. if i knew my ranking on the waitlist then i could decide whether to risk letting that offer pass.

any insight is much appreciated!

I have been reading the Oklahoma 2012 forum for a while and thought I would finally speak up since I, too, have recently joined the ranks of being 1 of 90+ waitlisted at OU. Why are there so many waitlist spots. Common sense tells me that they are not going to get through half of the list, at most, before school starts. I am torn between riding it out until summer or signing up for the next available MCAT. Oh, the horror! Has anyone heard of any rejections?

Well, I recieved my oh so small yellow envelope today .... :scared:
I've been looking at MCAT dates too ..... must admit though after reading those statistics on those accepted I'm not feeling too good about my chances!

I have been reading the Oklahoma 2012 forum for a while and thought I would finally speak up since I, too, have recently joined the ranks of being 1 of 90+ waitlisted at OU. Why are there so many waitlist spots. Common sense tells me that they are not going to get through half of the list, at most, before school starts. I am torn between riding it out until summer or signing up for the next available MCAT. Oh, the horror! Has anyone heard of any rejections?

I'm with ya StephO ... I'm definately NOT looking forward to wrestling the MCAT bear again!!

Members don't see this ad :)

previous threads say they go over your application in pretty nice detail at the re-app workshop, so maybe we'll get an idea on how high or low we are on the waitlist then. however, another student said they always encourage retaking the MCAT so i guess it doesn't hurt to start looking into signing up for another available seat..

as for rejections, i haven't heard of any, although common sense tells me there has to have been at least SOME...(interviewed 311, accepted ~162, waitlisted 91, so around 58 rejections?)

ehh...hope other waitlisters join here, it's nice to have some company while riding out this next looooong wait....:(

I'm on the wait list too. I know of one rejection of my friend who interviewed on the same day as me. Unfortunately its going to be a while before most of us find out anything.

I guess I'll see you all at the re-app workshop.

So assuming worst case scenario besides the re-taking the MCAT, re-applying, etc etc. what is everyone else doing next year? I'm graduating in May ... and as crazy as it may sound to some I had/have no 'plan b.' Any ideas what they recommend or suggest?

i went to the re-applicant workshop last year, which was quasi-helpful. they don't give many specifics.

the big thing is retaking the mcat. this a must-do if you want to increase your chances for next year. they also put a lot of emphasis on continuing taking classes, even if you're planning to graduate.

i think the philosophy is that your mcat and gpa can always be better, so show your commitment by trying to improve both of those. in addition, you should be able to realistically evaluate your own application for other things. i know that some of the board members put a LOT of emphasis on medical experience. that could mean volunteering, shadowing, or actual employment.

as far as this year is concerned, i've been accepted to another program. i'd rather go to ou, but i have no qualms with taking the other offer. it's just the waiting and the fact that i might have to pay a $2000 deposit for the other school and then get accepted to ou (which, in effect, means i'll waste $2000).

last year i (1) retook the mcat over the summer, (2) worked in the medical field, and (3) continued taking upper-division science classes that would mostly help with medical school (cell path, animal behavior, biochem) and in fact i'll actually have a 2nd degree in May because of it. i also spent a lot of time talking to doctors and hospital administration, which got me quite a few good recommendation letters for this year.

oh, and i really tired to get some feedback on my interview skills. that required quite a bit of work (i'm super-nervous in interviews). i focused on that quite a bit, and my interviewers said that from reading last year's interview notes they could definitely tell the difference. i don't know how good you are at interviews, so this may or may not apply to you.

anyway, that's my own story. i'm sure there are many others who have better or at least different advice. i know that i received a overload of advice from absolutely every angle last year. you really have to sift through that advice to see what really applies to you and what you can most efficiently work on in a relatively short amount of time.

i'm going to really try to get ahold of someone who can tell me at least vaguely were i am on the waitlist. i don't know if this will be possible. i have also heard from some first-years that there is the possibility for movement on the waitlist. that means calling anyone you know who might be able to put in a good word for you.

besides all that, don't count yourself out yet! good luck, and i hope to see you in the fall!

**edit** that turned out to be a much longer post than i planned. sorry.

Thanks deadeyed ... just out of curiosity what's the 2nd degree in? You know ... you could accept the other school and give the rest of us a 1:89 chance!! Just an idea ( ha ha!!).

Another thought ... does this mean we will see our interviewers comments? What about our rec. letters?

i planned on graduating with an english degree and the med school pre-reqs. since i didn't get in last year i just turned the pre-reqs into a zoology degree.

as far as the re-applicant workshop goes, they wouldn't show us or tell us verbatim anything that was in our interview notes or recommendation letters. what my group leader did was ask us what we thought about our own application and interview, and then gave us advice based on what we said and what the file said. but again, this is only so helpful when you can't really figure out exactly what the interviewers said about you. the only thing i could pin her down on was that i was a little too nervous while interviewing.

and if you did the pre-med committee letter thing, the admissions committee keeps that thing sealed up tight.

Just popping in to add myself to the official roster of WaitListers.

No new information, except to say that I don't think they will ever release any info about LOR writers since those are always supposed to be uber-confidential. Not sure about you all, but I had to sign a confidentiality waiver as part of my request to the writer.

Hurry-up-and-wait never felt like a truer statement!

well at least we can put some faces to names this coming thurs :) thanks for all the info deadeyedk.

anyone getting ready to re-app or is everyone waiting a little while?

I'm in Stillwater and have yet to get my letter this week. The wait is about to kill me. So far I've only heard of one acceptance and the rest were waitlisted.

well, today i met with one of the doctors who interviewed me.... he "guaranteed" that i would not be getting into OU off the waitlist this year. he didn't know my specific number, but he was confident that i was too far down on the list based on how many people they've taken from years past.

not the best news to hear, but at least finally got some solid info from somebody and i don't have to wince every time i check the mail.

so, needless to say, i probably won't be joining any of you in the fall. i'm probably headed to k.c.

good luck to all!

well, today i met with one of the doctors who interviewed me.... he "guaranteed" that i would not be getting into OU off the waitlist this year. he didn't know my specific number, but he was confident that i was too far down on the list based on how many people they've taken from years past.

not the best news to hear, but at least finally got some solid info from somebody and i don't have to wince every time i check the mail.

so, needless to say, i probably won't be joining any of you in the fall. i'm probably headed to k.c.

good luck to all!
Hmm...that's interesting. And he didn't happen to throw a number out of how many he thought they might take from the waitlist?

good luck to all!

meh. . you really didn't want to live in oklahoma for 4 more years anyways. :laugh:

:horns: i kid, i kid.

sorry to hear about that and good luck to everyone still waiting.

Hmm...that's interesting. And he didn't happen to throw a number out of how many he thought they might take from the waitlist?

nope. he threw out last years number (can't remember... maybe in the 30's) and the highest number he could think of (in the 50's) and said that i was pretty far beyond those numbers. he said he would "bet a lot of money" that i wouldn't make it this year, but "miracles can happen." and he said this with many years of experience on the OU board.

in addition, he said that he really liked me but he couldn't convince the other two interviewers to vote above defer. don't know what i did to get on their bad sides. i thought i rocked that interview! :confused:

he also mentioned that the mcats and gpas for the class they selected were pretty far above the normal class they select, so there would probably be more waitlist movement than average. so rumors to that effect are well-founded.

p.s. that was my first time using a smiley. it was fun.

wow deadeyedk, i'm impressed by your drive to find out all this information. and i'm sorry about the waitlist spot....that's harsh but at least someone gave you an honest answer so you know how to plan. i wish we all could get some inkling of what half of the waitlist we are on!

and i agree, your use of a smiley was thrilling!

good luck to all!

I'm sorry to hear that for you. It is nice to have someone willing to give a little perspective and hopefully that info will take a little bit of the bite out of plunking down two grand to your second choice school.

Best wishes in K.C.

-Bravo

good luck to all!

Well, I'm glad he was honest with you, but I'm sorry it wasn't better news. I take it you're headed to KCUMB, which is a nice place to be. Best of luck! :luck: And stick around and make more smilies.

I'm in Stillwater and have yet to get my letter this week. The wait is about to kill me. So far I've only heard of one acceptance and the rest were waitlisted.

If you don't hear by tomorrow, I'd recommend contacting them. It shouldn't take that long for mail to get from OKC to Stillwater. Or is it possible it got mailed somewhere else like maybe your parents' house?

I RVSP'd for the reapplicant workshop and since I didn't hear anything back, I emailed yesterday to double-check that they have me down to attend and to inquire where the meeting will be held. I still haven't heard anything back. Did anyone get an email confirming or mentioning where to check in for the workshop?

yeah it took a while for me to get a response, but it is at the library, same place where we had interviews...this was the email i got:

"Thank you for responding. We look forward to seeing you for the workshop next Thursday which will be held in the Robert Bird Library Auditorium. This is the same location where you checked in for your interview. Attached are parking instructions for the day of the workshop.

Many of participants have asked what the dress should be for the workshop. Dress should be "professional casual" – nice pants or jeans and sports shirt or sweater. Of course, it is always to your advantage to be well groomed. These board members are taking time from their practice to meet with you. They are aware that you know you will be meeting with board members so an effort to present yourself in a positive way should be made, but a tie or coat is not necessary. Be certain to bring paper and pen for notes.

See you soon."

Good luck to everyone. I didn't get off the list (OOS) until after May 15th last year and then I turned it down in favor of another school. There will be movement.. :luck:

Hopefully some spots will open soon. There are a few people on SDN who have been accepted to OU (as an instate), but also accepted to places such as Johns Hopkins, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, etc..... Others have applied elsewhere and are awaiting decisions later this month. Of course, it would help to know what 1/3 of the waitlist I am on. I would have more hope if I knew I was on the top or in the middle. If I knew I was in the bottom 1/3, I would proceed full-force into the Class of 2013 application process.

did anyone register for the summer MCAT dates? i'm on for june 13th!:) i've been trying my hardest to study "full force" but it's still kinda hard. anyone else in my boat?

see you all today btw, we should have a secret handshake:cool:

We should do the rod and reel act. I will be the fishing pole and when you see me cast the line, start acting like a fish and I will reel you in!!! OR, you could be the one eating corn on the cob (like your pic). It would be really easy to spot you! It would look professional too!

did anyone register for the summer MCAT dates? i'm on for june 13th!:) i've been trying my hardest to study "full force" but it's still kinda hard. anyone else in my boat?

see you all today btw, we should have a secret handshake:cool:

I signed up for the July 18th MCAT. I refuse to admit defeat until June 1st. We're taking a vacation the second week of June and I didn't want to be in hard-core MCAT mode leading up to the trip. I hope I don't regret this come score-release time. I figured that it wouldn't take more than an extra week to release the scores and that will still put me just before the Sept. 1 deadline.

StephO - I think I was in your group today (the one with the no-beating-around-the-bush family practice doc from NE OKC).

DeadEyedK - were you there today?

I thought today's workshop was extremely helpful. I was quite surprised by how few people attended the workshop. I was guestimating about 40-50 actual attendees today which seems strange considering that 140ish were either waitlisted or declined.

I was the one with the yellow sweater and blonde hair. Which one were you? I thought it was helpful, but I guess I never really thought about it as a game. I put myself out there, for better or worse. I am also going to hold out until June. Anything until then would be half-hearted because I am still holding out hope for an acceptance in May.

Oh yeah... If you were in my group, AustenFan was the one sitting to my right with the short, dark hair. We go to school together at UCO.

Who else went to the thing today? I thought it was pretty helpful to. The doctor who led my group was awesome and had me cracking up.

"Well the first thing you should do in the interview is don't bull**** me."

Pretty sure I was in your group bravo.

Anyways I'm taking the Kaplan course starting in May and I guess taking the MCAT in late July.

i couldn't make it to the reapplicant workshop. i completely spaced when i rsvp'd for it... i had a monster biochem test today. which i think i rocked, by the way.

anyway, i'm happy to hear some people got good use out of it. did they offer up an additional general info concerning the waitlist or anything else? did anybody get an indication of their position on the waitlist?

Oh yeah... If you were in my group, AustenFan was the one sitting to my right with the short, dark hair. We go to school together at UCO.

My mistake, we weren't in the same group. I do recall who you are, though. I was sitting closest to the check-in table in a tealish-colored shirt. How is it that I don't know you (or AustenFan)? I was pretty sure that I was familiar with at least the faces of fellow members of UCO's premed crew...

"Well the first thing you should do in the interview is don't bull**** me."

Pretty sure I was in your group bravo.

I loved that! Some of his stories blew my mind. Flip-flops? This process is quite the PITA and it never fails to astonish me how much time and energy people waste getting to point X, only to show up in flip-flops (or some such equivalent nonsense). His story about stained-shirt person reminded me of the Superbowl commercial where the guy is interviewing for a job and the stain on his shirt is out-talking him!

i couldn't make it to the reapplicant workshop. i completely spaced when i rsvp'd for it... i had a monster biochem test today. which i think i rocked, by the way.

anyway, i'm happy to hear some people got good use out of it. did they offer up an additional general info concerning the waitlist or anything else? did anybody get an indication of their position on the waitlist?

HA! There was an attendee that I was suspicious might be you. Good thing I didn't freak her out by saying, "Hey there. Are you Dead-Eyed-K?" Might have been a bit awkward :laugh:

Dr. Hall mentioned that there were 75 persons on the list (don't know if that means that there has already been movement for new admits, if some of the 91 withdrew their names, or if she mis-spoke). I meant to get clarification, but forgot. Our position on the waitlist was not included with the files that were given to our discussion leader. In discussing our strengths and weaknesses, we were given info on how the votes work which I found helpful in planning my reapplication.

Side Note: In case the person asking about MD-JD is a poster (or lurker). I used to work in the office of an MD who pursued his JD while practicing medicine (OB, no less!). He possessed an item bearing the insignia "MD, JD, BFD" which was a) completely true and therefore b) completely awesome! It can be done and does not always require crossing to the Dark Side to become a fellow-MD-suing chump, either.

We are both biology seniors and will graduate in May. I hadn't met her until this semester. We have History of Science together. Did you know Lacy? She goes to UCO also. I don't believe I have ever seen you either. I work, am married, and have a 3 year old daughter. I go to campus and then run back home or work. This is my second degree and I haven't spent as much time, out of necessity, getting into EC's at UCO as I did the first time around.

Did anyone receive encouragement for getting off the waitlist? Our physician said that he would be very surprised if some of us from our group didn't get off the list. I was sitting next to him and noticed that I had 3 A's from my interview. I hope that means that 2 more followed. I could be delusional. I didn't get a sense of where I am on the WL though. More than half of us could have 5 A's and still not get in. The next two months are going to kill me. I, too, was surprised at the lack of attendance. I would have thought that everyone would have wanted to get some sort of feedback.

I'm pretty sure I sat behind you stephO at the beginning of the workshop. me and CUTrixie were there too! :)

and there really are 75 on the waitlist now, i asked for clarification in my small group discussion.

and I was given NO idea of where I stand on the waitlist. all i kept hearing over and over was "retake the MCAT" actually! good thing I planned on it already.:rolleyes:

So.....did 16 people decide to withdraw from the waitlist or were they accepted? That increased our odds drastically. ellaB, which one were you? The one with the really pretty jacket and a lot of questions at the beginning?

StephO - I also graduate in May this year. I don't believe that I know AustenFan either. Guess I'll see you both on May 9.

Dr. Hall did not seem to expect much, if any, waitlist movement before the May deadline, so I'm hopeful that the difference of sixteen is from names withdrawn rather than new admits. Definitely would improve our odds :thumbup:

None in our group were given direct encouragement for the likelyhood of coming off the waitlist.

StephO - If the pretty jacket was brown with pasley on a blonde that's me! To my right was EllaB .... the gorgeous Asian!! I think you were sitting just slightly in front of us.

I agree ... the workshop was helpful. However, I didn't hear much about the 3A's/ 5A's thing. Can anyone elaborate? Where do they come from??

So, while I too have registered for the MCAT in July. I am an optimist and will wait until late May to start studying .... AGAIN!! I have a heavy last semester and will not make the same mistake twice (i.e. studying for too many things and not giving the omnipotent MCAT its due dedication).

Wish we would have come up with a secret handshake or Reel-scene. It would have been nice to say hello in person!

I agree ... the workshop was helpful. However, I didn't hear much about the 3A's/ 5A's thing. Can anyone elaborate? Where do they come from??

3 types of vote: accept, defer, reapply (reject?)

1st 3 votes - one is given by each of the three interviewers
4th vote - following the interviews, all interviewers meet and split into groups of ten, one of your interviewers presents you to the group and they give a vote representing the group
5th vote - one of your interviewers presents you at a 30 member board meeting and this group assigns the fifth and final vote

Best possible outcome: A-A-A-A-A
Least desirable outcome: R-R-R-R-R
Some other random combination: A-A-R-D-D

Based upon comments made in my small group, I suspect that the last set of acceptances, the waitlist, and group sent declines were organized strongly off this series of votes. This was never stated openly and is only my supposition.

OK, I have a very rudimentary understanding. So, anyone, please correct me if I am wrong. Thing is going to be very wordy, so stick with me.

During the interview process you are given an A (acceptance), D (deferred), or a R (rejection) from each of your interviewers, for three letters total. Next, your interviewers meet at a table with around 8-10ish other board members and they present your application. Your interviewers try to influence the table in their decision to give you another A, D, or R (#4). Finally, your table presents your application to the entire room of board members and the room votes to give you another A, D, or R (#5). You could end up with any combination of letters. NOW.....

1. If you are among the first 130-140 interviewees (October, November, December, and the first part of Janurary) you only need 3 A's to get accepted. It doesn't matter what the other two letters are. In other words, if you get three A's from your interviewers and you are automatically accepted. However, if one of your interviewers gives you a D or R, then you could get the other A from the table or the board. This usually happens. That is why early interviews have nearly 100% acceptance rate.

2. Everyone left to interview after the initial 130-140 spots are grouped together and all decisions are deferred until after all the interviews are complete. Competition is more fierce, as 150+ people are competing for 20-30 spots. I am assuming that this happened to all of us.

3. All of the applicants are ranked according to the number of A's they received. The applicants with the same number of A's (0-5) are then ranked according to their statistics, with 5 A's being at the top of the list. The ones at the top were given the next round of acceptances, while all of us received waitlists. I don't know how they decided the cutoff and began giving rejections. I am assuming that all of us had to receive at least 1 A to stay on the list.

The interview allows those of us with less than stellar stats to catch up to everyone else. Someone with a really good interview, who got 5 A's, but had a really low MCAT, GPA, or both, would get in before someone who got <5 A's, but had higher stats.

Now, I only found out that I had 3 A's from my interview because I was sitting next to the doctor during the evaluation. I caught a sneak peek while he was flipping through my packet.

My hope is that if I got 3 A's from my interview that at least one or two more A's would follow. Maybe they did or maybe they didn't. That is the source of my frustration. In addition, 50/75 people left on the list could have also received 5 A's and it would still be hard to get in. Nobody knows!!!! I wish that they would at least tell us what 1/3 we were in. If I was on the bottom, I would be more aggressive in starting the 2013 application cycle.