Timeline Assistance for DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PNWisBest

Just had a question on the timeline of applying to primarily DO schools, with only a couple of MD's thrown in.

My post-bacc program will end up finishing in May. MCAT in June. That puts me being complete by the end of July, early August. Does this make me too late to apply for that cycle? Or is it OK to apply? I don't want to weaken my chances of having a great cycle. I've read and searched, but everyone keeps reiterating to apply by June 1st?

Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
That schedule can work for DO schools, but absolutely not for MD schools. Your MD competition has MD submission complete by August, most often by July.

Applying that late will reduce your odds at the more competitive DOs such as Western, CCOM, PCOM, DMU.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied this cycle with a September 6 MCAT (I do have interviews for Jan at D.O. schools, but have yet to get in). Based on my cycle, I think an early August MCAT >>> late August / early September MCAT. I submitted both my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications before my MCAT and was verified very quickly via AMCAS, but it took forever via AACOMAS. As soon as my MCAT score was available, I immediately received secondaries from the 8 M.D. schools I applied to (I am already rejected from 2 of them). I then forwarded my MCAT score to AACOMAS which took some time. By the time I received secondaries from D.O. schools it was end of October / early November. I turned around as many of I could as fast as I could, but it was pretty overwhelming and stressful. I actually turned in my final secondary today (Dec. 20). I do have two interview invites in hand (both D.O.), so clearly not a death sentence, but taking the MCAT in early August would have meant an acceptance by the end of the year and a lot less stress. There was also one school I really wanted to apply to but couldn't because deadlines were so close to when I was complete with an MCAT score.

My stats weren't strong enough for M.D. so I'm not sure how much Jun 1 would have helped me. But, if you do take an August MCAT, make sure your applications are in ahead of time. That was my saving grace with the Sep 6 MCAT. The verification process can take forever and you're doomed if you submit late. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user