*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is it so far? Dying yet?

It's all piling up now. Just took our first gross test and I was surprised at the level of detail that was needed to memorize. Luckily, I studied my butt off for it.

What made you choose SA over the other schools?

I only applied to Texas schools and only got accepted here. Others that were accepted to all school and choose SA, their general consensus is the new clinic. Its pretty dang nice.

Also, SA will have a new curriculum next year. No biochem! That should be a good selling point for the incoming class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's all piling up now. Just took our first gross test and I was surprised at the level of detail that was needed to memorize. Luckily, I studied my butt off for it.

I only applied to Texas schools and only got accepted here. Others that were accepted to all school and choose SA, their general consensus is the new clinic. Its pretty dang nice.

Also, SA will have a new curriculum next year. No biochem! That should be a good selling point for the incoming class.
:thumbup:

2nd interview for Texas and 3rd overall!

School: UTSD Houston
Notification date: 8/22/2016
Method of notification: email
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 7/25/2016
Application receive date: 7/26/2016
Interview date: 9/6/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.76, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23AA/24TS/23PAT/20RC/none below 17

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long-time SDN Lurker

School: Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry
Notification date: 8/22/16
Interview date: 9/30/16
TMDSAS mail-out date: 6/16/16
Application received date: 6/16/16
Application complete date: 8/2/16
GPA (bcpm, overall): 3.82, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 24/23/23/23/none

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody know when interviews will start for non-Texas residents?
SGPA- 3.97
OGPA-3.95
AA-23 TS-23 pat-22
File date6/5/16
Resident -Utah (lived in TX for 2 years 2012-2014)
I'm really hoping for an interview but I know it's tough from out of state. What do you all think?

I remembered Baylor started oos interview in Nov last year

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or have there not been many invites for the past couple weeks... I'm starting to really worry. My application was sent to schools 8/2

Is it just me or have there not been many invites for the past couple weeks... I'm starting to really worry. My application was sent to schools 8/2
Still super early in the cycle. Fear not.

Okay so yesterday I was going through my application and found that I never listed my organic chemistry lecture portion. I only listed the lab. I know. Stupid mistake. Then I also found that I listed the number portion wrong for one of my classes, so I called tmdsas and they fixed it. Will this update to the application make my app be set behind now in all the apps that the school has. It was transmitted to schools 8/2, so does this mean it will be considered transmitted to schools 8/29?

Anybody know when interviews will start for non-Texas residents?
SGPA- 3.97
OGPA-3.95
AA-23 TS-23 pat-22
File date6/5/16
Resident -Utah (lived in TX for 2 years 2012-2014)
I'm really hoping for an interview but I know it's tough from out of state. What do you all think?
Those are some awesome stats! If you have solid EC's I am sure you have a competitive chance to get in. They got 4 OOS last year from what I've heard (on the contrary to 1) so maybe...... you'll be in that position this cycle :D

When you've gotten several OOS interview invites, but no Texas interviews yet lol...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you decide between the three schools?
I'm trying to create a hierarchy for the texas schools, in the event that I'm somehow accepted to all three (fingers crossed).
I expected to the a little more distance between them in regards to what I liked about each school, but their all equal despite their differences to me right.
Assuming y'all get into all three, which school would you choose and why?

How do you decide between the three schools?
I'm trying to create a hierarchy for the texas schools, in the event that I'm somehow accepted to all three (fingers crossed).
I expected to the a little more distance between them in regards to what I liked about each school, but their all equal despite their differences to me right.
Assuming y'all get into all three, which school would you choose and why?
A&M, I grew up near Dallas and would love the proximity to family. It's also marginally cheaper.

Edit: however, at this point I'm just hoping for interviews to all three. Acceptances would be a bonus ha

Last edited:
Assuming I have an option, whichever has the strongest clinical experience, opportunity to possibly specialize, culture, and board pass rate

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
But even then each tx school is strong in each of those, especially compared nationally. I just want to know if the new curriculum at San Antonio will affect part 1 of the nbde pass rate or not. Really won't know until a few years but I heard someone at an interview say that Houston's curriculum is like San Antonio's upcoming curriculum

To be honest, you kinda have your mind set on the school, but the feel change when you come and visit the school. You may like Baylor's clinic, but you may like UTSD's option of not having cadavers anymore bla bla bla.

I would say to keep your option open.

To be honest, you kinda have your mind set on the school, but the feel change when you come and visit the school. You may like Baylor's clinic, but you may like UTSD's option of not having cadavers anymore bla bla bla.

Well how do you eventually decide which one to stick with? (Again assuming acceptances). By the way, what school did you end up going to?

Well how do you eventually decide which one to stick with? (Again assuming acceptances). By the way, what school did you end up going to?
That's why I say your feel about the school might change when you visit the school, and end up liking one over the other.
But if you can't decide, then you can weight pros and cons. Financial aspect, family support, which cities you see yourself in... all that jazz

I'm at UTSD now.

To be honest, you kinda have your mind set on the school, but the feel change when you come and visit the school. You may like Baylor's clinic, but you may like UTSD's option of not having cadavers anymore bla bla bla

Preach! Baylor needs to learn a thing or two from Houston :laugh:

That's why I say your feel about the school might change when you visit the school, and end up liking one over the other.
But if you can't decide, then you can weight pros and cons. Financial aspect, family support, which cities you see yourself in... all that jazz

I'm at UTSD now.

I apologize I think I misread your initial post, that being said I have already visited all three schools and I'm still really torn on how I rank them.

One big plus to Baylor is I'm from the dallas area, but if location and family is removed I think I would prefer either UTSD or SA.

Do you think it's foolish to let location have such a large impact on my rankings? Because otherwise it might not even be close.

The plastinated (I believe) cadavers were definitely pretty interesting when I visited lol.
Yeah. During gross lab I have that little voice in the back of my mind saying "I should have chose Houston" :laugh:

I apologize I think I misread your initial post, that being said I have already visited all three schools and I'm still really torn on how I rank them.

One big plus to Baylor is I'm from the dallas area, but if location and family is removed I think I would prefer either UTSD or SA.

Do you think it's foolish to let location have such a large impact on my rankings? Because otherwise it might not even be close.
There is nothing wrong wanting to be close to home and stay in Dallas. Dental school is stressful. So having an emotional support is a good idea. It's good to consider it in your decision tbh.
Go where you feel the happiest. It's really important.
You look stylish in the cadaver's lab gown. What are you talking about?!!

There is nothing wrong wanting to be close to home and stay in Dallas. Dental school is stressful. So having an emotional support is a good idea. It's good to consider it in your decision tbh.
Go where you feel the happiest. It's really important.

You look stylish in the cadaver's lab gown. What are you talking about?!!
Lmao! I do look pretty good in it. But I smell awful :laugh:

Also, just found out my baby due in Jan is gonna be a little girl. Pretty dang stoked if I must say ha.
Congrats!!! I'm too excited for you!!
Well, I wasn't going to say anything but I'd you say so...
I look better in my gross anatomy attire because it covers my entire body and the mask covers my face. So you can't see all the ugliness underneath :rofl:

One of my favorite things about dental school is being able to cut cadavers! its awesome and something you will only be able to experience once. That first cut into a body is something I won't forget!

Reactions: 1 users
One of my favorite things about dental school is being able to cut cadavers! its awesome and something you will only be able to experience once. That first cut into a body is something I won't forget!
Yeah. At this point I wish the body's came pre-dissected with pins on the stuff we need to know. I don't really hate dissecting I just find it to be a waste of time. And having my apartment smelling like formaldehyde is pretty gross.:laugh:

I did dissection in undergrad and it was the best thing ever. I found so many interesting things within a cadaver and tbh, it's pretty thrilling
But I have to agree with @Advance that in dental school, we have so much things going on and having to dissect is taking too much time.

I actually attend Tech and I can tell yall there is such a small chance of this! We barely got approved for a vet school and that took almost 20 years!

I would LOVE to see residency programs at Tech though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Long-time SDN Lurker

2nd interview
Notification date: 9/7/16
Interview date: 9/13/16

Less than a week's notice makes me nervous. Check your inboxes, clutter, and junk-email!

Reactions: 6 users
Long-time SDN Lurker

2nd interview

Less than a week's notice makes me nervous. Check your inboxes, clutter, and junk-email!

Did the email go into your junk?

Long-time SDN Lurker

2nd interview

Congrats! I loved it. It was an amazing day. You're going to have so much fun! The school was beautiful and people super nice.

Congrats! I loved it. It was an amazing day. You're going to have so much fun! The school was beautiful and people super nice.

Did you have an interview there recently? If so, How were the interview structure and question like if you don't mind I ask?

Did you have an interview there recently? If so, How were the interview structure and question like if you don't mind I ask?

The interview is one long interview, from 45 mins to an hour. It's really conversational and relaxed (depending on faculty I suppose, but everyone I talked to said the same). Questions are from a sheet and you can find them on the SDN interview feedback. I got the "three words about yourself" question, as well as "three words about dentistry" "what is your motivation to pursue dentistry". Just really basic questions. Some people did get asked "what's an ethical dilemma you have faced"

The interview is one long interview, from 45 mins to an hour. It's really conversational and relaxed (depending on faculty I suppose, but everyone I talked to said the same). Questions are from a sheet and you can find them on the SDN interview feedback. I got the "three words about yourself" question, as well as "three words about dentistry" "what is your motivation to pursue dentistry". Just really basic questions. Some people did get asked "what's an ethical dilemma you have faced"

Thank you for the info.

Mine was easy and relaxed. Don't stress and just be yourself and friendly. Ask a lot of questions and get a feel for the school and the people!

I was studying outside last week when I saw a group of interviewees was having a tour, and you guys look so nice and neat. Make me so excited for you.
Just wanna put that out there.

Reactions: 5 users
I am still waiting on my optional letter of rec... I submitted a month ago or so and I have everything else submitted... Is this hurting my chances? I am a reapplicant and she still hasn't updated my letter of rec from last year (should I just submit last year's?)
Hey I have the exact same stats as you. Anything on your application maybe that you think is lacking? I haven't receive a word from all three Texas schools btw

Out of topic question.. Dose UT Houston or San Antonio have a secondary application and when they send you recipient email after you application submitted to them ?
Thanks ahead.

Out of topic question.. Dose UT Houston or San Antonio have a secondary application and when they send you recipient email after you application submitted to them ?
Thanks ahead.
No, they don't have a secondary app. I got my app received email from San Antonio 4 days after TMDSAS was transmitted to the school and from Houston almost 2 weeks after.

so I wrote a post on this topic in July. It is now September 10th already. No invites, no e-mail from Baylor dental for me. I'm incredibly depressed. My GPA is 3.90; DAT AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21. I completed my application on May 17th. My evaluation packet came in late july.

Can someone please give me some advices? I'm giving up my tiny hope already. I feel like I should move on.