*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@DentalLonghorn2014 , even if there was cause to worry about Dental Therapists (which there isn't), the only people who truly should worry are those with $400K+ loans.

I assume you and many other Texans in this thread are going to end up in a TX school...so you have nothing to be concerned about! Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@DentalLonghorn2014 , even if there was cause to worry about Dental Therapists (which there isn't), the only people who truly should worry are those with $400K+ loans.

I assume you and many other Texans in this thread are going to end up in a TX school...so you have nothing to be concerned about! Cheers!

I truly hope I get in to a TX school lol

Reactions: 5 users
This might be a bad question but is the letter requirement one dentist and two professors? I did a quick look on the schools sites and couldn't find any specification. I want to ditch one of my prof in favor of two dentists....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a bad question but is the letter requirement one dentist and two professors? I did a quick look on the schools sites and couldn't find any specification. I want to ditch one of my prof in favor of two dentists....

Yes, two professors and one dentist are required (assuming you're applying to all 3 schools).

I'm not sure if you can do 2 dentists.
I know that you can have a committee letter + a dentist letter (Houston and Baylor wants a dentist letter)
OR
2 science professors and a dentist letter.

Y'all, if I am wrong, please let us know haha

Reactions: 1 user
TMDSAS handbook says "evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate him/her both academically and personally. It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences"

I'm doing a committee letter that includes my dentist letter within it.

Does anyone know what category SMDEP would be put under?

Since you can list (and in fact, TMDSAS encourages this) the same activity in multiple sections, I'd put SMDEP under "Healthcare Activities," and "Extracurriculars & Leisure."

Since you can list (and in fact, TMDSAS encourages this) the same activity in multiple sections, I'd put SMDEP under "Healthcare Activities," and "Extracurriculars & Leisure."
Thank youuu!!!

If you choose not to use a committee packet, you must have 2 professors & 1 dentist. There is an option to include a second dentist letter in addition to the 3 required letters, though, if that helps!

In regards to class size and rank...do these need to be exact? I graduated with around 600 people. Do I need to contact my HS for an official ranking from over 10 years ago?? :eyebrow:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm taking classes this summer and my grades won't be posted until August. Will my application not be considered complete until that transcript is sent?

Your app will be considered complete when the most recent grades you have are submitted. You can always send a new transcript any time during the cycle using TMDSAS.; Unlike AADSAS when you have to wait for the academic update period.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to class size and rank...do these need to be exact? I graduated with around 600 people. Do I need to contact my HS for an official ranking from over 10 years ago?? :eyebrow:

That's what I had to do. It felt weird going back to HS. Reminded me of a time when I thought I knew everything because I knew the Pythagorean Theorem.

You guys need to add class rank from high school to the Texas app? Wut.

Reactions: 4 users
Your app will be considered complete when the most recent grades you have are submitted. You can always send a new transcript any time during the cycle using TMDSAS.; Unlike AADSAS when you have to wait for the academic update period.

Do we need to re-send the Transcript Form with the new transcript?

Example: I am currently sending TMDSAS my entire transcript up to, and including, the Spring of 2016 grades. I'm also sending their special transcript form with it.

However, if I decide to take a summer course, would I need to send the summer grades immediately after they are posted AND a new TMDSAS transcript form?

Can I still submit my app with TMDSAS before the grade update?

That's what I had to do. It felt weird going back to HS. Reminded me of a time when I thought I knew everything because I knew the Pythagorean Theorem.

LOL!!!!

You guys need to add class rank from high school to the Texas app? Wut.

Class rank, SAT scores, everything! It's awesome. /s

Reactions: 3 users

Example: I am currently sending TMDSAS my entire transcript up to, and including, the Spring of 2016 grades. I'm also sending their special transcript form with it.

However, if I decide to take a summer course, would I need to send the summer grades immediately after they are posted AND a new TMDSAS transcript form?

I would think that you would need to give them another TMDSAS form for the summer courses so it helps them out and prevents things from getting clustered.

Regarding the grade update, I am not sure :/

Yeah, anytime you want to send a new transcript you have to attach a new transcript form.
Yeah you won't have a problem submitting the app with just your spring 2016 transcript. It's all good.

So for AADSAS my application won't be complete until summer transcript is sent?

Yeah, anytime you want to send a new transcript you have to attach a new transcript form.
Yeah you won't have a problem submitting the app with just your spring 2016 transcript. It's all good.

Thank you for this info :)

So for AADSAS my application won't be complete until summer transcript is sent?

For AADSAS you can choose to submit your transcript ASAP (Summer grades will be excluded). Alternatively, you can wait to submit until your summer grades are in.
This is why people make those "Should I wait to apply until my summer grades are in?" threads. TMDSAS doesn't have these issues though since you can update your grades any time.
In either scenario your application will be considered complete and adcoms will review your app based on the grades you have currently on your transcript.

For AADSAS you can choose to submit your transcript ASAP (Summer grades will be excluded). Alternatively, you can wait to submit until your summer grades are in.
This is why people make those "Should I wait to apply until my summer grades are in?" threads. TMDSAS doesn't have these issues though since you can update your grades any time.
In either scenario your application will be considered complete and adcoms will review your app based on the grades you have currently on your transcript.

Ohh gotcha. Thank you!! You da best

Class rank, SAT scores, everything! It's awesome. /s
It is awesome, if you did well in high school.

My theory is that it helps the schools determine if you went to your undergrad because you had to financially (or you're a legacy or whatever) or because you had to academically. Like, could you have gone to an Ivy League caliber school but chose to stay close to family and go to a less expensive, small state school instead? Did you decide to go to community college for 2 years to save money and then transfer to Texas Tech on scholarship? Or did you have no other choice but to go to community college because you dicked around in high school? It helps them get a better picture of who you are and mitigates the importance of one's undergrad selectivity. That's my theory at least.

Plus, they can figure out who the lifelong gunners are. ;)

My theory is that it helps the schools determine if you went to your undergrad because you had to financially (or you're a legacy or whatever) or because you had to academically. Like, could you have gone to an Ivy League caliber school but chose to stay close to family and go to a less expensive, small state school instead? Did you decide to go to community college for 2 years to save money and then transfer to Texas Tech on scholarship? Or did you have no other choice but to go to community college because you dicked around in high school? It helps them get a better picture of who you are and mitigates the importance of one's undergrad selectivity. That's my theory at least.

lmaoo. Makes sense.

Silly question (like seriously)... how bad do Bs in upper level bio courses look? Especially in a post bac...

78ddb9943307009b1879247dd94b0fda.jpg

(On a side note, he just might be onto something.)

What are we supposed to write for the shadowing description? Also, if we shadowed several different dentists, should we put them under different things?

What are we supposed to write for the shadowing description? Also, if we shadowed several different dentists, should we put them under different things?

I did separate entries for separate dentists. As for descriptions, I just wrote what procedures I observed and an interesting note about the experience.

If you have a mission trip in which half of it was health related (clinic) and half was not (teaching english and other things), should you split it into 2 different things for community service? Like have teaching english at the same mission trip in the nonhealthcare community service activity and volunteering at the clinic there in the healthcare activity section of the app?

Is it just me or are there less applicants for the upcoming cycle on this thread? The previous TMDSAS cycles seemed to be always packed lol

Perhaps more will join next month?

If adcoms said, "The first 300 students to comment on the TMDSAS 2017 thread on SDN will be accepted. First come, first serve." it would be a major blood bath on here. Hackers will be trying to remove each others comments :laugh:

If adcoms said, "The first 300 students to comment on the TMDSAS 2017 thread on SDN will be accepted. First come, first serve." it would be a major blood bath on here. Hackers will be trying to remove each others comments :laugh:

Oh man that would be so awesome- the special SDN acceptances, not the blood bath part lol.

Oh man that would be so awesome- the special SDN acceptances, not the blood bath part lol.

Lol right?
Haha students would screenshot their comments and say, "I've been here the entire time!!!" lol

If I may ask (since y'all took the DAT) already, what videos on youtube helped y'all the most regarding the PAT?
TFE, Keyhole, and Pattern Folding are my weak points so far. :/

Watch this guy's videos. You'll be set.

Yeah, that's the one I used for hole punching! I went from sucking at it to decent within an hour of practice!!

He doesn't seem to have other videos of the other PAT sections though.

If I may ask (since y'all took the DAT) already, what videos on youtube helped y'all the most regarding the PAT?
TFE, Keyhole, and Pattern Folding are my weak points so far. :/
I literally skipped TFE because it pissed me off so much, but I don't advise that. Pattern folding is honestly just practice. Read the explanations on Bootcamp and Ari's video tutorial. Keyhole is the same.

Yeah, that's the one I used for hole punching! I went from sucking at it to decent within an hour of practice!!

He doesn't seem to have other videos of the other PAT sections though.
Haha I deleted the post because I thought you said you had trouble with hole punching, but yea that video is great

Edit: This girl has some great videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mmglasco/videos

The hole punching video you linked above, longhorn + @JLT223 , was the main one I used.

mmglasco has good PAT videos too. You can check her channel out for a comprehensive list, but here's a sample:

I literally skipped TFE because it pissed me off so much, but I don't advise that. Pattern folding is honestly just practice. Read the explanations on Bootcamp and Ari's video tutorial. Keyhole is the same.

Thanks bud!
Yeah, I've heard how some students asked their dentists for help for that section. They said it was ridiculous lol

Thanks bud!
Yeah, I've heard how some students asked their dentists for help for that section. They said it was ridiculous lol
No dentists know how to do it that's the best part. It just didn't click for me. I ended up using that time on the other 5 sections to ace them and then just guessed on those 15. Worked out in the end somehow!

If you have a mission trip in which half of it was health related (clinic) and half was not (teaching english and other things), should you split it into 2 different things for community service? Like have teaching english at the same mission trip in the nonhealthcare community service activity and volunteering at the clinic there in the healthcare activity section of the app?

Yeah I'd list that multiple times- quoted directly from TMDSAS:

"Dental/Medical Applicants: If you have activities that fit into more than one of the categories below, you should list the activity in each section. We recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria in more than one category."

No dentists know how to do it that's the best part. It just didn't click for me. I ended up using that time on the other 5 sections to ace them and then just guessed on those 15. Worked out in the end somehow!

Lol if other dentists feel the same way, I feel much better. What did you get on the PAT section if you dont mind me asking?

Lol if other dentists feel the same way, I feel much better. What did you get on the PAT section if you dont mind me asking?

You guys are cluttering up the thread with off-topic posts. There is literally an entire sub-forum dedicated to the DAT. Or you guys can PM each other. Try to stay on topic so that other applicants don't have to weed through this thread for TMDSAS info. Not trying to sound aggressive, just matter of fact.