To All The Colleges That Rejected Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Planes2Doc

I enjoy the nightlife
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324000704578390340064578654.html

It's not exactly about medical school, but it perfectly describes medical school admissions if you were to replace undergrad with medical school. I thought this article was absolutely brilliant and spot on! What do you think? :naughty:

Members don't see this ad.

She pretty much sums up herself...

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

Honestly sounds like a self entitled poor applicant to me. Never mind that she don't seem to understand extracurriculars at all. But hey, she may grow up a little over the next couple of years, at least she can still use youth as an excuse for her shortcomings.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324000704578390340064578654.html

It's not exactly about medical school, but it perfectly describes medical school admissions if you were to replace undergrad with medical school. I thought this article was absolutely brilliant and spot on! What do you think? :naughty:

And, I would say that it pretty accurately describes a pre-med perspective on medical school admissions. Once you actually sit on a committee or break down the actual process from the backend, it looks downright stupid to think that what this person describes has any relation to medical school or undergraduate admissions.

I loved it and thought of you, Planes2Doc, when I read it in the paper last weekend.

Of course, now she's published in the Wall Street Journal so she's got that going for her. ;)

And if you don't appreciate the sarcastic humor, you may not be the parent of teenagers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I loved it and thought of you, Planes2Doc, when I read it in the paper last weekend.

Of course, now she's published in the Wall Street Journal so she's got that going for her. ;)

LOL thanks! :D It's quite an honor!

Interestingly, you have people on both sides. Some think she's a self-entitled brat, and some think she's spot on. I think we all know where I am.

IMO she's rightly picking a bone with academic admissions and how those processes work, but the piece would've been so much better without that last paragraph. Cry me a river. She probably got into multiple strong schools - what would you expect from a high schooler that's writing in a national paper - but not her "dream" school, whatever that means.

Sent from my Nexus 7

She mad bro.

QQ more with the cynical, sarcastic humor.

image.gif

IMO she's rightly picking a bone with academic admissions and how those processes work, but the piece would've been so much better without that last paragraph. Cry me a river. She probably got into multiple strong schools - what would you expect from a high schooler that's writing in a national paper - but not her "dream" school, whatever that means.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I agree. Her writing was a little nauseating at times, but overall a good point.

I read in the comments that she said she's going to University of Michigan, which is really nothing to sneeze at.

I liked it. Unfortunately, I think it does apply somewhat to medical school admissions.

Yeah I really liked this. Short and sweet! Something we've all probably thought about once or twice.

I liked it. Unfortunately, I think it does apply somewhat to medical school admissions.

Really? Why not? You see that tons of pre-meds are going above and beyond "being themselves" as she pointed out.

I went to high school in the early 2000s, and I don't remember anything being so pre-medesque back in the day. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think med school admissions are a bit better about this than college admissions because more of it is based on GPA/MCAT. In med school admissions, a 36 MCAT means something. In trying to get into a top college, a 2300+ SAT is useless, because stuff like legacies, athletics, URM, prestigious extracurriculars, etc matter more.

She'll probably end up on Real Housewives in search for the man of her dreams, and try different things like using diversity, starting fake charities, and trying new hobbies to achieve that!

I think this was just a very direct way of saying helping the less fortunate. Pre-meds and now high schoolers do it all the time without mentioning it in such a way.

By the way, I didn't recognize you with your new avatar!

Yeah, I understand why these kinds of extracurricular activities are important from a philanthropic/altruistic point of view. But I think the phrase I quoted did a great job at elucidating the irony of implicitly requiring these sorts of activities.

Also, my old avatar will be back soon :D

Yeah, I understand why these kinds of extracurricular activities are important from a philanthropic/altruistic point of view. But I think the phrase I quoted did a great job at elucidating the irony of implicitly requiring these sorts of activities.

Well put. Creating a sense of force philanthropy tends to dampen the effect.

Also, thank goodness, because that avatar is creeps mggee.

Interestingly, you have people on both sides. Some think she's a self-entitled brat, and some think she's spot on. I think we all know where I am.

Am I the only one, then, who thinks she's a self-entitled brat who is spot on?

That's very true, and that's the kind of irony I see in the medical school admissions process. SDN pre-meds do more activities than just about anyone else. For instance, the people I refer to as "ZERO to Mother Teresa." The weird thing is that despite devoting so much time and having laundry-lists full of activities, they still have a bad reputation and people do not look kindly at the work.

I think it's odd that pre-meds, and now high schoolers, with such "accomplishments" are brushed to the side without much thought, while we suddenly admire the people who do these same accomplishments (or less) for no reason other than to make the world a better place.

She's the next Planes2Doc :laugh:

In all seriousness, I agree with her completely. Excellent article that really sheds light on some important points.

Haha! :laugh: Well hopefully she won't have to go through the medical admissions process. Or maybe the process can change by then. Who knows?

It suddenly occurred to me that people like LizzyM posted on here. Indeed, we are able to have dialogue with administrators. People on the top. People that get things done. People that can change things.

I think her article brought a few interesting points to the general public. I actually wasn't at all aware that this was taking place in high school in order to gain admission to top schools. Apparently the general public does have issues with these things.

And as for medical school admissions, members like circulus vitios, notbobtrustme, and I can't be the only people who are strongly against the ways of the current medical school admissions system. :confused: Also we shouldn't see administrators as a barrier or an enemy. I have never seen LizzyM be disrespectful to people. I think that having an open conversation can be a great way to facilitate change and make things better. The status quo isn't necessarily the best method. Even though some might view this article as a joke, it instead goes full force leaving no feelings behind. :thumbup:

It's interesting because I first came across it on a scathing review on gawker http://gawker.com/5993140/attention...ill-that-should-earn-you-admission-to-college
The gawker article was being passed around with comments about how horrible she is, while actually reading the original WSJ article, allows one to appreciate it for its satire.
Gawker seems to imply that she's completely serious and doesn't understand that she's being whiny and entitled, which completely skewed my first impression.

And like others who are 'older', kids didn't do this kind of stuff to get into college when I was in high school. We played sports, were in the band, chorus, drama, math league, etc. because we thought it was fun. The honor society volunteered at a nursing home because it was fun. At least 2 of my h.s. class have just finished their residencies...

Of course, I wasn't a 'premed' in college either, but I still played intramural and club level sports, held a leadership position in an academic interest club, did research, and generally became a more well rounded, mature person along the way. None of it was with any "goal" in mind.

And as for medical school admissions, members like circulus vitios, notbobtrustme, and I can't be the only people who are strongly against the ways of the current medical school admissions system. :confused: Also we shouldn't see administrators as a barrier or an enemy. I have never seen LizzyM be disrespectful to people. I think that having an open conversation can be a great way to facilitate change and make things better. The status quo isn't necessarily the best method. Even though some might view this article as a joke, it instead goes full force leaving no feelings behind. :thumbup:

If I was supreme dictator of the world, here would be what I would do to the med school admissions process.

1) Remove GPA from consideration. It cannot make useful comparisons across schools or majors. Adding to that, there are just too many confounding factors to make GPA a useful tool to sort out applicants.

I understand that people will argue that "GPA is a better indicator of work ethic than the MCAT." Well, I don't know about you, but if you want a mid-30s+ MCAT score and are not a genius, you need to study several hours a day for 3-4 months at least. How does that not show work ethic?

I think what's really sad is that GPA matters so much that people advise students not to go to rigorous, grade-deflating colleges, or choose engineering majors, just because of the GPA hazards.

Face it, GPA has just become another med school admissions game, with premeds trying to manipulate the system so they can rack up A's. It's depressing. If you want to study bioengineering at Cornell, you should be able to do so without fear of jeopardizing your med school admission.

2) Only have 7-8 slots for activities on AMCAS, but require a longer essay for ALL of them.

I think the problem that traditional premeds have is that at the age of 21-23, it's really, REALLY hard to get 15 activities to write down on the application. So they pad the application with numerous other activities that they do not for their own sake, but to fill slots on the application. I think that's sad, and promotes both a bad attitude amongst premeds towards community service or research, and negative perceptions among other people.

To counteract this, I suggest including a smaller number of slots for activities, but requiring more out of them. I want it to be made clear that premeds have put their heart into activities that they care about, not just gone through the motions so they can dump it on the AMCAS.

Basically: fewer but more meaningful activities.

I don't think we should crown her just yet. Joking or not, there are clearly plenty of people that resonate with this viewpoint. She raised some good points, a lot of these activities are bogus and are clearly done to beef up a resume. In fact, I think the pursuit of many of these activities, especially where they involve the disadvantaged, can be harmful to the very people they purport to help. This is a problem, though hardly a novel one, that many people spend their time trying to figure out.

That said, it would be a mistake to take this view and now decide that everyone who accomplishes such things are therefore "fakers" just trying to look good. Hard as it may be for many people to believe, there are individuals who actually care about others and feel compelled to do something about it. There are people who enjoy playing 3 varsity sports. There are people who want to work because they want to buy things with that money. There are people who have to work because they need to buy things with that money. Some people have actually grown up with unique backgrounds (gay parents, 134/157 Cherokee, etc).

What exactly is it that she wants? There are a limited number of seats and they can only be filled by a small group of people. Some people whine and want none of these things to matter, but then they are unable to articulate what they do think should matter? Should we be like Asia and just have one giant test that determines everything? Kids spending literally years of time memorizing before the test, working until late into the evening and then waking up so they can study some more. Is that the kid you want sitting next to you in class?

So yeah, I understand, there's a lot of bull ****ing and nonsense in the process. But if she's just going to whine and complain about how others go out and do things to look good, and not even make an effort to explain what these colleges "overlooked" in her, what's supposed to be so novel about her perspective? Harvard has a single-digit acceptance rate. No matter what, the vast majority of students with this as their dream school are going to be disappointed. Spare me the 99 articles explaining how they've been wronged in being subjected to such misfortune.

Reactions: 1 user
Should we be like Asia and just have one giant test that determines everything? Kids spending literally years of time memorizing before the test, working until late into the evening and then waking up so they can study some more. Is that the kid you want sitting next to you in class?

This isn't entirely accurate. The difference is that in Asia, people treat high school with the same importance as you and I would treat medical school or graduate school. In America, people treat high school (and college) as more about sports, drinking, and sex than academics.

Yes, test-taking matters a lot more in Asia, but that's not the only reason people work so hard. They also do it because they genuinely care about their academics more than how much they can drink Friday night, or whether they can get Alison to put out.

A lot of people confuse her making fun of herself (a good quality to have) with her being a slacker. A brief look at the resume she had (on other news sites) shows that's not the case. I think it's a poignant satirical look at what the college admissions process is like -- you can put in a lot of hard work and not get to where you want to be.

At the same time, people can game the system and touch upon key things that look good to gain admission without really doing much.

Well, kinda like real life.

Last edited:
A lot of people confuse her making fun of herself (a good quality to have) with her being a slacker. A brief look at the resume she had (on other news sites) shows that's not the case. I think it's a poignant satirical look at what the college admissions process is like -- you can put in a lot of hard work and not get to where you want to be.

Well, kinda like real life.

Life is less about hard work and more about the arbitrary opinions that people in power have of you. For example, in med school, if you "pass" your surgery rotation because of some animosity from an attending, you are forever barred from a career in ANY surgical specialty.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the opinions other people have of us. All we can do is work our hardest, and leave the rest to God.

But at least in medicine we have the STEP I and Shelf exams, so not everything is dependent on a random resident's/attending's opinion of you.

I think the whole point is 'The Admissions Game' --
Learn the rules early enough and play them well and you're in.
Don't know 'The Game'? Refuse to play? Or find out late? -- Sorry Charlie. No soup for you.

Competitive college admissions is nothing new, though I think the standards have increased rather substantially over the years. (I remember when a 700 on any section of the SAT was really good and enough to 'score Ivy'.)

Having parents who know the rules and are willing to help their kids stay focused / write or edit essays / choose activities / land internships or jobs / pay for mission trips or expensive activities -- it's just another an unfair advantage enjoyed by the children of wealthy, educated parents.

Yeah, she was whining. But her 'my parents were too tired to tiger me' point is probably also valid. Sorry Suzy - but in the infamous drawl of Jeremy Irons (Scar) in Lion King: Life's not fair... :(

I'd hate to have a tiger mom, I'd prefer normal people :)

I'd hate to have a tiger mom, I'd prefer normal people :)

The idea of "tiger parents" is just stupid and borderline racist sensationalism. Yes, there are a few people like that. But it's stupid to generalize and say that "All Asians/Indians/Jew parents are Tigers huehuehue."

IIRC, no study has demonstrated that kids of authoritarian "Tiger" parents turn out better than any other children.

Having parents who know the rules and are willing to help their kids stay focused / write or edit essays / choose activities / land internships or jobs / pay for mission trips or expensive activities -- it's just another an unfair advantage enjoyed by the children of wealthy, educated parents.

That's not "Tigering." Being a "Tiger parent" refers to an authoritarian, consequentialist outlook on parenting where the parent controls nearly everything that the child experiences academically and socially so that the parent can groom the child to enter a top school.

Here's some examples:

Involved Parenting: having a child learn the piano from a young age.
Tigering: Forcing the child to study piano for 1-2 hrs a day from the age of 3, and finish level 10 in the piano syllabus or whatever.

Involved Parenting: helping a child with math homework.
Tigering: Teaching your child how to effectively present ADD symptoms so you can score some methylphenidate.

Last edited:
This isn't entirely accurate. The difference is that in Asia, people treat high school with the same importance as you and I would treat medical school or graduate school. In America, people treat high school (and college) as more about sports, drinking, and sex than academics.

Yes, test-taking matters a lot more in Asia, but that's not the only reason people work so hard. They also do it because they genuinely care about their academics more than how much they can drink Friday night, or whether they can get Alison to put out.

Have you actually been to Asia? I assure you there is plenty of drinking on more nights than Friday. Test-taking is very important in Asia. There are tests that you take to get into college, and in some places there are tests that you take before you can get jobs, etc etc.

Further, what part of my statement was not accurate? Kids do spend hours studying for tests. There are separate schools for students to go to even after school, where they memorize and do more problem sets. Some kids actually rent apartments near their school so they don't have to waste time going home--they can just go straight to their room and study. Tests are only offered on a single day, the lists of the top scores are all made public so everyone can see. If you don't do well, you either don't go to college or hope you can take it the next year.

Secondly, in many of these countries you get accepted to "medical school" out of high school. Even if we were to assume that their high school were similar to the way that we treat medical school, are you somehow suggesting that it would be better to sit next to the guy in med school who spent years memorizing organic mechanisms and various prep crap so he can get a 44 MCAT? My stance does not change--at no level do I want an admissions scheme where we simply take the top GPA/MCAT or GPA/SAT.

Even if we take the most pessimistic view that students do all these things out of desire to beef up the resumes and none of them do it out of interest, I would rather students be volunteering, working, researching, and producing things rather than sitting in their room devouring Kaplan books or memorizing the AMU of every element in the periodic table to 6 significant figures.

The idea of "tiger parents" is just stupid and borderline racist sensationalism. Yes, there are a few people like that. But it's stupid to generalize and say that "All Asians/Indians/Jew parents are Tigers huehuehue."

Actually, you're the only one that's linking Asians/Indians/Jews with the "Tiger Mom." The person said they don't want a tiger mom, which is an obvious reference to moms like the original self dubbed "Tiger Mom." Don't pick on users for things they haven't done.

2 week trip to India: 13 days sight-seeing, 1 day observing a clinic = Medical mission to impoverished area = win

If I was supreme dictator of the world, here would be what I would do to the med school admissions process.

1) Remove GPA from consideration. It cannot make useful comparisons across schools or majors. Adding to that, there are just too many confounding factors to make GPA a useful tool to sort out applicants.

I understand that people will argue that "GPA is a better indicator of work ethic than the MCAT." Well, I don't know about you, but if you want a mid-30s+ MCAT score and are not a genius, you need to study several hours a day for 3-4 months at least. How does that not show work ethic?

I think what's really sad is that GPA matters so much that people advise students not to go to rigorous, grade-deflating colleges, or choose engineering majors, just because of the GPA hazards.

Face it, GPA has just become another med school admissions game, with premeds trying to manipulate the system so they can rack up A's. It's depressing. If you want to study bioengineering at Cornell, you should be able to do so without fear of jeopardizing your med school admission.

2) Only have 7-8 slots for activities on AMCAS, but require a longer essay for ALL of them.

I think the problem that traditional premeds have is that at the age of 21-23, it's really, REALLY hard to get 15 activities to write down on the application. So they pad the application with numerous other activities that they do not for their own sake, but to fill slots on the application. I think that's sad, and promotes both a bad attitude amongst premeds towards community service or research, and negative perceptions among other people.

To counteract this, I suggest including a smaller number of slots for activities, but requiring more out of them. I want it to be made clear that premeds have put their heart into activities that they care about, not just gone through the motions so they can dump it on the AMCAS.

The problem is that there isn't a significant correlation between MCAT scores and length of study time. There are plenty of really good test takers who don't study at all or who only study for a few weeks and end up with a 34+ score. On the flip side, there are tons of people who study for 6, 8, or even 10 months and can't get up to a 28 even after multiple attempts. The MCAT is a standardized test evaluating problem solving and reading comprehension abilities after all, not an exercise in rote memorization.

Unfortunately, your MCAT score has little relevance to your work ethic.

Great article. I laughed all the way through it. It reads like Lauren Weisberger's 2003 novel "Devil Wears Prada".

Don't feel sorry for her, though. The girl is a natural writer. She'll make more money than most of us. Way to go!

Have you actually been to Asia? I assure you there is plenty of drinking on more nights than Friday. Test-taking is very important in Asia. There are tests that you take to get into college, and in some places there are tests that you take before you can get jobs, etc etc.
Yes, I'm from China and have visited several times. I agree that tests are really important there, but that isn't the entire picture.

Actually, you're the only one that's linking Asians/Indians/Jews with the "Tiger Mom." The person said they don't want a tiger mom, which is an obvious reference to moms like the original self dubbed "Tiger Mom." Don't pick on users for things they haven't done.

Sorry, I didn't mean anything against the user. I was complaining about the Chua woman who started this stupid tiger meme.

I was complaining about the Chua woman who started this stupid tiger meme.

I am not picking on you however I diagree . Amy Chua's book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, is fantastic. I read it, then heard it on audiobook. Hysterical, made me laugh, moved me to deep thought, made me think of how much I missed the 1960s, when parents raised their kids to be successful members of society. Chua's battles with her parents were intense, and her daughters were courageous. Chua's husband gets a trophy to be married to a woman like Amy. All in all, the book is excellent and I wish American parents were as meticulous in raisin their kids like my parent were, and their parents.

I am not picking on you however I diagree . Amy Chua's book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, is fantastic. I read it, then heard it on audiobook. Hysterical, made me laugh, moved me to deep thought, made me think of how much I missed the 1960s, when parents raised their kids to be successful members of society. Chua's battles with her parents were intense, and her daughters were courageous. Chua's husband gets a trophy to be married to a woman like Amy. All in all, the book is excellent and I wish American parents were as meticulous in raisin their kids like my parent were, and their parents.

Not sure if srs...1960s????

Can you believe it?!
Some of us fogeys even know how to work computers!

Why would someone that's been around since the 1960s be going to medical school? Shouldn't you guys be planning for retirement and your kids' college educations?

No offense, but it doesn't seem economically rational.

Last edited:
Can you believe it?!
Some of us fogeys even know how to work computers!

But I haven't a clue what srs is.

I remember life well before Windows, PC and Commodore 64!!!. I refused to take computer classes in college stating triumphantly that they would never take off. I thundered, "people would rather have face to face contact than being behind a computer". boy, was I off base. And those were just Fortran and Basic courses before PCs evolved!

read a post on my blog about Facebook Nation. I

Why would someone that's been around since the 1960s be going to medical school? Shouldn't you guys be planning for retirement and your kids' college educations?

Retirement? Don't you kids read the newspapers, watch the news or keep abreast of current events?

I miss my 401K

No offense, but it doesn't seem economically rational.

You do realize that not everyone who posts on pre-allo is pre-med or 20 years old, right? And even if she is just entering med school, you don't know her economic situation. No one retires at 65 anymore, THAT is not economically rational. My goodness, ageism much?

The problem is that there isn't a significant correlation between MCAT scores and length of study time. There are plenty of really good test takers who don't study at all or who only study for a few weeks and end up with a 34+ score. On the flip side, there are tons of people who study for 6, 8, or even 10 months and can't get up to a 28 even after multiple attempts. The MCAT is a standardized test evaluating problem solving and reading comprehension abilities after all, not an exercise in rote memorization.

Unfortunately, your MCAT score has little relevance to your work ethic.

...which is good, unless we're going to give people gold stars for effort. Frankly I'm impressed if someone can do better than me on exams and spend a tenth of the time studying. I don't get bonus points because of my "work ethic." At least for the pre-clinical years in med school, work ethic is entirely unimportant. What ultimately matters is that you learn the material and demonstrate that knowledge on step 1. Same with the MCAT. Why does it matter how much time is spent studying if mastery of the skills being tested is demonstrated?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Life is less about hard work and more about the arbitrary opinions that people in power have of you. For example, in med school, if you "pass" your surgery rotation because of some animosity from an attending, you are forever barred from a career in ANY surgical specialty.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the opinions other people have of us. All we can do is work our hardest, and leave the rest to God.

But at least in medicine we have the STEP I and Shelf exams, so not everything is dependent on a random resident's/attending's opinion of you.

A random attending's opinion of you is probably a better indicator of future success as a physician than your step score.

A random attending's opinion of you is probably a better indicator of future success as a physician than your step score.

That may be.

Still, I don't think anyone ever gets completely comfortable with the idea that arbitrary opinions determine the fate of your life. That's why it would probably suck more to get a poor review from an attending that dislikes you than it would to get a 200 on STEP 1.

At least that's how I see it now.

I don't think we should crown her just yet. Joking or not, there are clearly plenty of people that resonate with this viewpoint. She raised some good points, a lot of these activities are bogus and are clearly done to beef up a resume. In fact, I think the pursuit of many of these activities, especially where they involve the disadvantaged, can be harmful to the very people they purport to help. This is a problem, though hardly a novel one, that many people spend their time trying to figure out.

That said, it would be a mistake to take this view and now decide that everyone who accomplishes such things are therefore "fakers" just trying to look good. Hard as it may be for many people to believe, there are individuals who actually care about others and feel compelled to do something about it. There are people who enjoy playing 3 varsity sports. There are people who want to work because they want to buy things with that money. There are people who have to work because they need to buy things with that money. Some people have actually grown up with unique backgrounds (gay parents, 134/157 Cherokee, etc).

What exactly is it that she wants? There are a limited number of seats and they can only be filled by a small group of people. Some people whine and want none of these things to matter, but then they are unable to articulate what they do think should matter? Should we be like Asia and just have one giant test that determines everything? Kids spending literally years of time memorizing before the test, working until late into the evening and then waking up so they can study some more. Is that the kid you want sitting next to you in class?

So yeah, I understand, there's a lot of bull ****ing and nonsense in the process. But if she's just going to whine and complain about how others go out and do things to look good, and not even make an effort to explain what these colleges "overlooked" in her, what's supposed to be so novel about her perspective? Harvard has a single-digit acceptance rate. No matter what, the vast majority of students with this as their dream school are going to be disappointed. Spare me the 99 articles explaining how they've been wronged in being subjected to such misfortune.

:love:

You do realize that not everyone who posts on pre-allo is pre-med or 20 years old, right? And even if she is just entering med school, you don't know her economic situation. No one retires at 65 anymore, THAT is not economically rational. My goodness, ageism much?

Ageism :laugh: It just doesn't make economic sense for someone in their mid 40s to be starting in medical school. It's a very exhausting pathway and with the cost of medical school as it is, you'll probably break even from your medical school loans 10 years after you finish residency when you're around 65. That means that you'll have basically nothing saved up for retirement, never mind helping your kids pay for college or having time to go to their wedding. At least you can use those senior discounts.

Better yet, do away with slots technically. Instead, switch the programming so you enter a single activity, then click a button to add a new one. If there were 10 lines, people would shoot for 10. If there were 20 lines, people would shoot for 20. It's completely arbitrary. So why 7-8 when you can just remove this all together? This might help out.

There's a reason why these people are viewed as "fakers." Somehow pre-meds, and now high school students, are developing a reputation as "fakers." It really sucks for the people that do these activities because they genuinely enjoy them. It's kind of hard to prove when the group of people you're in are expected to be putting on a facade. So we can all blame the general pre-med and other student populations for ruining the authenticity of extra curricular activities for everyone else. :(

Every now and then I see someone posting on SDN asking about whether they should do an EC. They say something like, "it's a good EC because I am actually interested in doing it." Umm... Okay. So are you saying that someone is going to go to an interview and tell the ADCOMs how much the activities they did sucked? :cool:

The same goes for other things that might be considered an "advantage," like background. I know someone who is a gay pre-med. He has a partner, but has no other interests or connections to the "gay community." However, he said he is trying to play the "gay card" and is therefore doing numerous ECs in the gay community to boost his chances. He never cared about this community beforehand. Well anyway, imagine that... The medical school admissions process can bring about things that people never thought existed. :rolleyes:

Involved Parenting: helping a child with math homework.
Tigering: Teaching your child how to effectively present ADD symptoms so you can score some methylphenidate.

It's funny you mention this. It has become a huge issue among high school students in my area. In the midwest, students predominantly take the ACT exam. Back when I was in high school, it was incredibly easy to get extended testing on the exam due to learning disabilities. Unlike the MCAT, the ACT exam is not flagged! Therefore, it can only be advantageous for someone to get extended time. So I'm sure parents are doing everything they can to get a diagnosis of ADHD or whatever else so their kids can get stimulants. But if they don't use stimulants, they can do the next best thing, take the ACT exam with absolutely no negative consequences. Now if the MCAT wasn't flagged with "special testing conditions," then I'm sure loads of college students would do everything they can in order to get extended time.

Secondly, in many of these countries you get accepted to "medical school" out of high school. Even if we were to assume that their high school were similar to the way that we treat medical school, are you somehow suggesting that it would be better to sit next to the guy in med school who spent years memorizing organic mechanisms and various prep crap so he can get a 44 MCAT? My stance does not change--at no level do I want an admissions scheme where we simply take the top GPA/MCAT or GPA/SAT.

Even if we take the most pessimistic view that students do all these things out of desire to beef up the resumes and none of them do it out of interest, I would rather students be volunteering, working, researching, and producing things rather than sitting in their room devouring Kaplan books or memorizing the AMU of every element in the periodic table to 6 significant figures.

This is a great point and I never thought of it. Of course I would rather suffer through a four hour volunteer shift doing scut work at a hospital rather than spending those four hours buried in a textbook. But here's the problem, you say that even if students do all of these things to beef up their resumes, you would still prefer this over the massive examinations. Sure, I'm sure many people would. But at the same time, if all of those activities are part of a facade, then what does it actually say about a student? What does it say about their interests? It's hard to tell when it's all fake. I thought fake usually meant that things are meaningless.

wheres%20the%20beef.jpg

2 week trip to India: 13 days sight-seeing, 1 day observing a clinic = Medical mission to impoverished area = win

I forgot to mention that this will look good for high schools I bet. But this doesn't apply to medical school admissions anymore, unless you're doing Peace Corps, military, or extended trips over many months or years. She is right about starting a charity though. I've recently heard of SDNers opening up non-profit organizations to beef up their resumes. So until ADCOMs catch onto this elaborate facade, this is probably a good way to help yourself with the admissions cycle.

...which is good, unless we're going to give people gold stars for effort. Frankly I'm impressed if someone can do better than me on exams and spend a tenth of the time studying. I don't get bonus points because of my "work ethic." At least for the pre-clinical years in med school, work ethic is entirely unimportant. What ultimately matters is that you learn the material and demonstrate that knowledge on step 1. Same with the MCAT. Why does it matter how much time is spent studying if mastery of the skills being tested is demonstrated?

Exactly. This is why I don't understand the notion of why the pre-med journey must be such a meaningful amazing experience. You're trying to get into medical school. That's the ultimate goal. You don't get bonus points for learning a lot in a class but ending up with a C or doing an EC that you "genuinely" care about (because everyone genuinely cares about their ECs). Medical schools don't care about those things. They want to see a high GPA, high MCAT, and ECs that look like you at least pretended to care about others. This means that picking up a laundry-list of ECs during your sophomore year of college will look much better than picking up the same laundry-list of ECs within a year of applying (this will actually look bad). Even though intentions might be the same, you actually get screwed on the latter. Therefore, you might not get bonus points for anything, but you need to carefully plan everything so you don't lose them.