To All The Colleges That Rejected Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ageism :laugh: It just doesn't make economic sense for someone in their mid 40s to be starting in medical school. It's a very exhausting pathway and with the cost of medical school as it is, you'll probably break even from your medical school loans 10 years after you finish residency when you're around 65. That means that you'll have basically nothing saved up for retirement, never mind helping your kids pay for college or having time to go to their wedding. At least you can use those senior discounts.

What he said.

Don't take this the wrong way, but even if retirement is no concern, starting medical school at an advanced age seems selfish to me. You're at a time when your children, family, and aging/dying parents need your attention, money, and help. Instead, you're spending all of that pursuing your own goals regardless of the fallout, financial or otherwise.

But maybe this is an individualistic, American thing, and in American culture it's totally acceptable to pursue whatever dreams you have.

I guess you would call this a "YOLO" mentality?

Members don't see this ad.

What he said.

Don't take this the wrong way, but even if retirement is no concern, starting medical school at an advanced age seems selfish to me. You're at a time when your children, family, and aging/dying parents need your attention, money, and help. Instead, you're spending all of that pursuing your own goals regardless of the fallout, financial or otherwise.

But maybe this is an individualistic, American thing, and in American culture it's totally acceptable to pursue whatever dreams you have.

Lol, how could anybody not take this the wrong way?

Lol, how could anybody not take this the wrong way?

Disregard what I said if you don't have kids or your parents are dead. If that's the case, then you're free to do whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think med school admissions are a bit better about this than college admissions because more of it is based on GPA/MCAT. In med school admissions, a 36 MCAT means something. In trying to get into a top college, a 2300+ SAT is useless, because stuff like legacies, athletics, URM, prestigious extracurriculars, etc matter more.

stupidest thing I've heard in a WHILE

Hi guys! So, I got 40 on the MCAT, will have a Masters in Biochemistry and a couple peer-reviewed publications within the next year, and come from a somewhat economically-disadvantaged background (long story). My question is, what EC should I add to my resume within the next 2 months (I want to apply in early June!) to make me a competitive applicant?

Thanks!

[/not srs]

Last edited:
That means that you'll have basically nothing saved up for retirement, never mind helping your kids pay for college or having time to go to their wedding. At least you can use those senior discounts.

Ok, this is getting way off topic, so I'm done after this. All I'm saying is that you're jumping to conclusions, judging and calling them "selfish" and "reckless" when you have no idea of the situation. Maybe their spouse makes enough money to support the family while they attend school. Maybe their children are grown up and out of the house. Maybe they spent the first 25 years of their adult life making money and building savings, but were wholly unsatisfied with their work, when they discover medicine and decide to pursue that. Who says life and your goals have to plateau at 45? There's a guy at my school in his 40's. I know of an MD/PhD student who is 44.
More examples:
http://www.med.wisc.edu/news-events/49-year-old-future-physician-is-a-true-renaissance-man/26862 (49 y/o matching into plastics, a 5-6 year residency)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OUtOPg_svww#! (41 y/o matching into gas)
Many different opinions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=893943&page=2

I'm not saying it's ideal, but it also doesn't have to be selfish and reckless, and I can see situations where it can work. I'm sure a person making a decision of that magnitude at that age is fully aware of the financial and other implications of the decision, as they're probably much more mature than the childish YOLO mentality. And like I said before, not many people retire at 65 anymore unless they're forced out due to cuts or illness or something. I know doctors who are still performing surgeries and seeing patients well into their 70s, and some who have chosen to "retire" into academia. If they love what they do and can still do it safely and effectively, work doesn't have to end when you're 70 or 80 or whatever.

And no need to jump to extremes...yes medicine is demanding, but there is plenty of room for a life. If residents in their late 20s/early 30s have time to get married and have babies, a 60 year old would have time to go to weddings and see their grandchildren.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I think I've derailed the thread enough :smuggrin:

And as for medical school admissions, members like circulus vitios, notbobtrustme, and I can't be the only people who are strongly against the ways of the current medical school admissions system. :confused:

My friend and I are quite against the current undergrad and med school admissions systems. Don't even get us started on the residency match system.

This isn't entirely accurate. The difference is that in Asia, people treat high school with the same importance as you and I would treat medical school or graduate school. In America, people treat high school (and college) as more about sports, drinking, and sex than academics.

Yes, test-taking matters a lot more in Asia, but that's not the only reason people work so hard. They also do it because they genuinely care about their academics more than how much they can drink Friday night, or whether they can get Alison to put out.

As if grad students (including medical students) don't strive for a lot of booze and poontang too. And as if drinking and poontang aren't important. I've got an entire career to miss out on fun.

A random attending's opinion of you is probably a better indicator of future success as a physician than your step score.

Probably. But I hope you don't sit there and tell that every attending grading MS-3's on the wards is an outstanding butterfly of happiness and truth lacking bias and grudges. Some are malignant a-holes.

I think med school admissions are a bit better about this than college admissions because more of it is based on GPA/MCAT. In med school admissions, a 36 MCAT means something. In trying to get into a top college, a 2300+ SAT is useless, because stuff like legacies, athletics, URM, prestigious extracurriculars, etc matter more.

Spot on chap!

Also being an older (50ish) nontrad would suck in M3 and residency when you would have to take advice, order, and correction from someone nearly half your age, haha.

Anyways, this is off topic I guess.

I forgot to mention that this will look good for high schools I bet. But this doesn't apply to medical school admissions anymore, unless you're doing Peace Corps, military, or extended trips over many months or years. She is right about starting a charity though. I've recently heard of SDNers opening up non-profit organizations to beef up their resumes. So until ADCOMs catch onto this elaborate facade, this is probably a good way to help yourself with the admissions cycle.

This fake charity nonsense has to stop. At my high school alone, people started 3 nonsense charities that did absolutely nothing, and existed just to give a small group of people an extra "leadership" thing on their college apps. If I remember correctly, there was a 4th charity that ran one Bingo Night for Kenya or something, but the President (a friend of mine) pocketed the money and used it to buy liquor for a party through an older brother.

I swear I didn't make that up.

I think the reason people do it is because activities in the established high school clubs like MUN/NHS/Keyclub/etc are a dime a dozen among college applicants, so they need some way to distinguish themselves without doing any work. Making up a charity is a pretty good way to do so.

Didn't she only* get a 2130 on her SAT or something similar? Isn't that below the average admit score of most Ivies? I know it is for Penn. I for one thinks she sounds entitled and bratty. Dude, you got into Michigan......stop whining. You can't have everything.

*"only" WRT to this case/the schools she applied to. I think 2130 is a good sccore.

Didn't she only* get a 2130 on her SAT or something similar? Isn't that below the average admit score of most Ivies? I know it is for Penn. I for one thinks she sounds entitled and bratty. Dude, you got into Michigan......stop whining. You can't have everything.

*"only" WRT to this case/the schools she applied to. I think 2130 is a good sccore.

My brother got a 2380 and he's still waitlisted at Harvard :( Unfortunately, SAT score isn't everything to the Ivies.

My brother got a 2380 and he's still waitlisted at Harvard :( Unfortunately, SAT score isn't everything to the Ivies.

True, and it shouldn't be. Standardized tests are there to...standardize after all, and it does get you in the door (like the MCAT and being automatically screened out with subscores of < 8 or 7). Seems like Miss Weiss did not fit that initial criteria, and did not have an outstanding enough application elsewhere to compensate. While the system is imperfect, this situation/her rejections doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously guys. All you need to do is be great at athletics and score decently in school and on tests and then boom you're in an ivy. ;) everyone's approaching this all wrong.

This fake charity nonsense has to stop. At my high school alone, people started 3 nonsense charities that did absolutely nothing, and existed just to give a small group of people an extra "leadership" thing on their college apps. If I remember correctly, there was a 4th charity that ran one Bingo Night for Kenya or something, but the President (a friend of mine) pocketed the money and used it to buy liquor for a party through an older brother.

I think the reason people do it is because activities in the established high school clubs like MUN/NHS/Keyclub/etc are a dime a dozen among college applicants, so they need some way to distinguish themselves without doing any work. Making up a charity is a pretty good way to do so.

This bull**** needs to be put down with extreme prejudice. :beat:

But I think what schools really need to do is stop putting weight on things which can be easily manipulated or fabricated.

Let's say, for example, that I volunteered at a no-kill animal shelter for 100 hours during my freshman and sophomore years. 100 hours--it's something, but not nearly as amazing as some people have. To make myself more appealing, I write 500 hours on my med school ap.... HOW ON EARTH can the interested schools verify that? Call my previous supervisor? Do you really think that person would remember me? And assuming they do, how many of you actually think that this supervisor would correct the school and say "Oh, but you're incorrect. He only volunteered here for 100 hours."

I'm not an expert at the med school admissions process, but I think that any school following up on an EC like this is highly unlikely.

However, I have a great deal of respect for those ECs that are 100% verifiable. Things like playing an instrument, speaking a second/third language, any research publications, double majors/extra minors, employment, etc. IMO, schools should focus on these things rather than the un-provable volunteering and nonsense like starting a charity. (And even if you can prove you started this charity; what of it? How much money did you raise and who did you give it to? How much of the money you raised came from your mom and dad? Let's see some proof.)

Last edited:
omfg shes suuuuuuuuuuch a whiner lollll

People who resent "fakers" are just wasting time that SHOULD be spent bolstering their own activities. If I throw together a charity event for a population I care nothing about, but it promotes awareness of their plight and brings in aid, do you really think that erases the good done by my actions? I know everyone dislikes fake people, but there are other things to worry about, like the very real problems the "fakers" are addressing.

And for the record, "fakeness" plays a role in medical practice too. My uncle is a Type 2 diabetic who refuses to moderate his diet, exercise, or consistently take his medication, and is beginning to suffer complications as a consequence. His denial of his condition (despite the three other diabetics in the family, including his wife, who have tried again and again to get him to accept reality), simply because of childish dislike of healthy nutrition and regular exercise, is frankly disgusting. But believe me, as his doctor, you better be empathizing with him up and down about how oh-so-hard it is to not have Mickey D's 10 times a week when it's right by his office, and how challenging it is to jog for 15 minutes a day when he already has such limited Xbox time. You tell him what you REALLY think of his appalling immaturity, you will be out a patient at best, and out a career at worst.

I don't resent fakers, I just play around with those people :p

Thanks alot, Planes2Doc.

That was great! Every middle schooler should have to read this article. Because to make it really seem natural you should start joining activities for college admissions in sixth grade. That's what I did.

After spending four years surrounded by the type of people she describes in the article, I just have to say, the strategy they employ works wonders!

At our school, they basically give you a formula to replicate that process for med school admissions and if you follow it you are guaranteed to walk into ritzy schools for med school. It is literally a packet that plans your four years of college including when you should start doing certain activities and take the MCAT. (which seem to work too as the average MCAT is a 34)

As I am now writing my application, you better believe I am happy that I did a ton of things strategically solely for med school. It really helps to make all your activities look ''coherent';, which is important if you want them to appear organic.

It helps alot if you spend four years planning for one application.

Lol....good sarcasm :p

The actual kids preparing like crazy from sixth grade aren't the chill laid back people that are fun to hang out :(

Honestly, this article kinda annoyed me. And the fact she is going to UMich annoyed me even more. Would've made more of an impact if someone who didn't get in anywhere wrote it... or if the writer kept herself anonymous. She comes off a little self-righteous, self-entitled, imo. Everyone at one point thought exactly what she thought.. I know I did. And people who really did save the world before college or med school... well then, they really do deserve their acceptances to top schools. For the rest of us, you just play the game, laugh and move on. This girl's thoughts aint anything special.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Lol....good sarcasm :p

The actual kids preparing like crazy from sixth grade aren't the chill laid back people that are fun to hang out :(

You'd be surprised. The best people are those that are self-aware and are cynical (imo).

This bull**** needs to be put down with extreme prejudice. :beat:

But I think what schools really need to do is stop putting weight on things which can be easily manipulated or fabricated.

Let's say, for example, that I volunteered at a no-kill animal shelter for 100 hours during my freshman and sophomore years. 100 hours--it's something, but not nearly as amazing as some people have. To make myself more appealing, I write 500 hours on my med school ap.... HOW ON EARTH can the interested schools verify that? Call my previous supervisor? Do you really think that person would remember me? And assuming they do, how many of you actually think that this supervisor would correct the school and say "Oh, but you're incorrect. He only volunteered here for 100 hours."

I'm not an expert at the med school admissions process, but I think that any school following up on an EC like this is highly unlikely.

However, I have a great deal of respect for those ECs that are 100% verifiable. Things like playing an instrument, speaking a second/third language, any research publications, double majors/extra minors, employment, etc. IMO, schools should focus on these things rather than the un-provable volunteering and nonsense like starting a charity. (And even if you can prove you started this charity; what of it? How much money did you raise and who did you give it to? How much of the money you raised came from your mom and dad? Let's see some proof.)

If you think 100 vs. 500 hours of something as unimportant as volunteering will make a huge difference in the outcome of your cycle, you do not understand medical admissions. Obviously people should be truthful in their app, and little lies sprinkled throughout a person's app can definitely give them an advantage, but a relatively small, isolated fabrication like that isn't even worth doing. It's just not going to make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7

You do realize that not everyone who posts on pre-allo is pre-med or 20 years old, right? And even if she is just entering med school, you don't know her economic situation. No one retires at 65 anymore, THAT is not economically rational. My goodness, ageism much?

Too funny. Don't pick on goofball too much. She's maybe 23, 25? Heck, what does anyone know at age 30? 35? It is true that mature (read: wise) students should be reading the Wall Street Journal and NY Times when they are graduate students instead of SDN, Twitter and Facebook, and hopefully get worldly well-rounded opinions from sources other than Oprah. Let's not discriminate Goofball for being a goofball kid.

Wait, wasn't Goofball complaining about generalizations of Asians by another SDN member?

To the amazement of his colleagues and patients, DeBakey continued to practice medicine into an age well after most others have retired. DeBakey practiced medicine until the day he died, and nearly reached 100 years of age in 2008.

See you in the OR. Put away your smartphone when you enter, mmmmkkkayyy?

The process is broken, what a surprise.

Ageism :laugh: It just doesn't make economic sense for someone in their mid 40s to be starting in medical school. It's a very exhausting pathway and with the cost of medical school as it is, you'll probably break even from your medical school loans 10 years after you finish residency when you're around 65. That means that you'll have basically nothing saved up for retirement, never mind helping your kids pay for college or having time to go to their wedding. At least you can use those senior discounts.

Actually, I am a parent of a successful applicant. I've thought about going back myself, but yeah, financially, it would be a disaster.

Honestly, this article kinda annoyed me. And the fact she is going to UMich annoyed me even more. Would've made more of an impact if someone who didn't get in anywhere wrote it... or if the writer kept herself anonymous. She comes off a little self-righteous, self-entitled, imo. Everyone at one point thought exactly what she thought.. I know I did. And people who really did save the world before college or med school... well then, they really do deserve their acceptances to top schools. For the rest of us, you just play the game, laugh and move on. This girl's thoughts aint anything special.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

It always surprises me that people never come to the conclusion that someone else might just be a better candidate. I can never understand the feeling that you deserve to go to a top school.

It always surprises me that people never come to the conclusion that someone else might just be a better candidate. I can never understand the feeling that you deserve to go to a top school.

Because egalitarianism and "special snowflake syndrome."

If you think 100 vs. 500 hours of something as unimportant as volunteering will make a huge difference in the outcome of your cycle, you do not understand medical admissions. Obviously people should be truthful in their app, and little lies sprinkled throughout a person's app can definitely give them an advantage, but a relatively small, isolated fabrication like that isn't even worth doing. It's just not going to make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Of course, 1 such lie is meaningless. But if someone repeats the same process of exaggeration for every single listed activity, they can turn a spotty, weak application into a much stronger one.

Anyway, my point was that there should be more focus on provable ECs such as playing an instrument or bilingualism, and less on those things which can only be verified by word-of-mouth such as working in a soup kitchen or volunteering at the local animal shelter.

But the fact that you volunteered less hours isn't the make or break factor of your app. If you get rejected, there are other more important factors at hand.

Also, hopefully the fakers take good acting classes, cause it's almost a joke to trip people up in lies. At least it is for me ;)

Of course, 1 such lie is meaningless. But if someone repeats the same process of exaggeration for every single listed activity, they can turn a spotty, weak application into a much stronger one.

Anyway, my point was that there should be more focus on provable ECs such as playing an instrument or bilingualism, and less on those things which can only be verified by word-of-mouth such as working in a soup kitchen or volunteering at the local animal shelter.

See Knux's point above. If you are rejected from a school, there are almost certainly other factors involved other than you failing to meet some arbitrary hours threshold for any activity.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hi guys! So, I got 40 on the MCAT, will have a Masters in Biochemistry and a couple peer-reviewed publications within the next year, and come from a somewhat economically-disadvantaged background (long story). My question is, what EC should I add to my resume within the next 2 months (I want to apply in early June!) to make me a competitive applicant?

Thanks!

[/not srs]

I realize you weren't being serious with this post, but sadly, this is what people on SDN and other pre-meds say. No one puts it so directly though like you wrote out. But sadly, you hit the nail on the head.

You never hear of someone just doing something they want or trying to find an activity that will make a genuine difference in peoples' lives. It's all about going on SDN, and starting a thread trying to find the best EC that would help boost their application.

Wow, the bolded part is pretty disgusting, but it's not surprising, since what can you honestly expect from people that start stuff they don't care about whatsoever? I know people who became entrepreneurs from my college class, and you know what? Every single person that started a company was passionate about what they were doing, and the only thing that they were concerned about was that company. They would stay with it either indefinitely, or hand it over once it became profitable so they can make money.

I don't understand why someone would start a company or charity before going to medical school. What's supposed to happen once you get into medical school? The other problem is that people have a huge misconception of non-profit corporations.

NON-PROFIT
all-things-are-not-equal-in-the-eb5-visa-world.jpg
CHARITY

People need to get this out of their heads! A for-profit company means that all profits go to shareholders, while a non-profit gets reinvested. However, a non-profit is re-invested usually has a board of extremely well-paid board of directors. And trust me, they make good money. Just because a non-profit doesn't answer the shareholders does not mean that is suddenly has a noble mission and everyone is working for free to help everyone.

Therefore, any intelligent pre-med that is trying to boost their application with a non-profit can make things look very good, while not giving a ****. If you know how to run a business, you'll realize that a non-profit only needs a small amount of proceeds to be given to the actual cause. A majority of that money can go back as "administrative" costs. Such a charity would have a poor rating on a site like charity navigator, but if you're keeping it on the down-low for medical school admissions, why would you even care about it? In fact, I doubt ADCOMs will scrutinize the financial statements of your company in the first place!

tumblr_me9l7mfF511rxwarf.gif

Therefore, if your parents donate a ton of money, they can write that off while you give the minimum amount to whatever cause. You take that money and give it back to your parents. So then what happens? Your parents or whoever end up donating very little while you look like a saint! It's extremely deceiving, but entirely within the legal boundaries of running a non-profit.

Now before you go hating on every pre-med that starts a sham non-profit, keep reading what I wrote below...

This is why I hate it when people volunteer for standard non-profit hospitals. They take advantage of volunteers to do the work of the orderly. None of that money is technically thrown at patients. It can go to line to pockets of the well-paid board of directors. Hospitals keep a non-profit status by providing a certain amount of charity care each year. So what better way to spend that charity care on emergency room patients that are either illegal immigrants, vagrants, or people with no insurance that are living in such poverty that you will never collect on them? You're legally required to treat them by law, so why not use this as your charity care? It's also a good thing to do charity care for the people who might make the news, so your hospital looks good.

This is a far cry from institutions like Shriners or free clinics that actually provide care at no cost. These are the places where people should be volunteering. So in the end, I don't quite see why people should vilify a pre-med starting a sham non-profit versus a standard run-of-the-mill non-profit hospital. They both try to look like saints, even though they couldn't be further away from it.

I honestly hope ADCOMs catch onto the non-profit thing fast... They should realize that anyone who starts a company is doing it as a big sacrifice. They devote everything to starting this organization. It's not something anyone does as part of a large check-list.

If you volunteer for any place that has a "volunteer coordinator," that means that it's a hotspot for fakers. ;) The only reason that the volunteer coordinator and her secretary knew me by name was because I volunteered at a smaller suburban hospital that was far from any Chicago college campus. Nonetheless, even if they don't know who you are, most places with a volunteer office will keep track of their volunteers. This is why when I called them to get my hours for my application, I was able to get the exact number of hours in less than two minutes. Therefore, if you volunteer at a regular pre-med hotspot, you won't have to worry, since it will be documented to the exact hour. :smuggrin:

So unless your mom's friend is a volunteer coordinator, you are personally friends with the volunteer coordinator, or you bribed the volunteer coordinator, anyone will be able to find about your commitment with no problem. Now if you volunteered at a less commonly volunteered at place, you can probably get away with faking numbers. But generally, pre-meds gravitate towards the same places. Everyone always prioritizes clinical over non-clinical places anyhow, and those are usually filled with pre-med volunteers regardless.

I agree we should place a bit more emphasis on things that aren't necessarily verifiable. And as for your charity comment, I doubt that ADCOMs will have the time to scrutinize financial statements to make sure it's completely legitimate.

Thanks alot, Planes2Doc.

That was great! Every middle schooler should have to read this article. Because to make it really seem natural you should start joining activities for college admissions in sixth grade. That's what I did.

After spending four years surrounded by the type of people she describes in the article, I just have to say, the strategy they employ works wonders!

At our school, they basically give you a formula to replicate that process for med school admissions and if you follow it you are guaranteed to walk into ritzy schools for med school. It is literally a packet that plans your four years of college including when you should start doing certain activities and take the MCAT. (which seem to work too as the average MCAT is a 34)

As I am now writing my application, you better believe I am happy that I did a ton of things strategically solely for med school. It really helps to make all your activities look ''coherent';, which is important if you want them to appear organic.

It helps alot if you spend four years planning for one application.

Thanks! That's very interesting... I didn't realize that schools would start preparing you at a young age. Imagine that! In one of my proposals to fix the EC arms race, I proposed starting activities as early as high school, since this would give a better measure of who genuinely did the activities out of interest versus doing it as a "ZERO to Mother Teresa" padder. Well, if you're really serious about something, you'll be smart enough to do everything to give yourself an advantage. I guess people are already prepared to take things to next level when ADCOMs catch on to the "ZERO to Mother Teresa" applicant that started as a college freshman.

It's really sad how things are being pushed further and further. Before you know it, you'll be pushing kindergarteners to volunteer! But in regards to your last paragraph, you were definitely smart for making the activities seem more coherent. But rest assured, suddenly picking up an insane amount of activities as a college freshman still looks legit. :rolleyes:

If none of these things make a difference, then why does an applicant that starts a laundry-list of activities within a few months of applying look bad compared to an applicant who did the very SAME ECs starting as a freshman?

Great point, and we can only wish. Right?

Because when you start a bunch of activities right before you apply it is patently obvious what's going on. When you do things over time, 1) you have plausible deniability with respect to the above and 2) you more likely cared about what you were doing (or if you didn't, you were enough of a team player to put up with it - which frankly is a pretty good life skill to have).

Sent from my Nexus 7

People who resent "fakers" are just wasting time that SHOULD be spent bolstering their own activities. If I throw together a charity event for a population I care nothing about, but it promotes awareness of their plight and brings in aid, do you really think that erases the good done by my actions? I know everyone dislikes fake people, but there are other things to worry about, like the very real problems the "fakers" are addressing.

And for the record, "fakeness" plays a role in medical practice too. My uncle is a Type 2 diabetic who refuses to moderate his diet, exercise, or consistently take his medication, and is beginning to suffer complications as a consequence. His denial of his condition (despite the three other diabetics in the family, including his wife, who have tried again and again to get him to accept reality), simply because of childish dislike of healthy nutrition and regular exercise, is frankly disgusting. But believe me, as his doctor, you better be empathizing with him up and down about how oh-so-hard it is to not have Mickey D's 10 times a week when it's right by his office, and how challenging it is to jog for 15 minutes a day when he already has such limited Xbox time. You tell him what you REALLY think of his appalling immaturity, you will be out a patient at best, and out a career at worst.

It's been my impression in this thread and elsewhere that when people refer to "fakers", they're not necessarily referring to all applicants who do something without genuinely caring about it. Rather, they're referring to applicants who misrepresent their activities to an extent that most people would consider lying ("truth enhancement" if you will).

For example, if you throw together a charity that raises money for childhood leukemia even if you actually hate kids and couldn't care less about cancer, who cares? But if your "charity" was just raising $20 in a day ($15 of which you put in yourself), then you're being dishonest when you brag about it on your application and in interviews.

And that's the problem with "charities" in admissions. It's really easy to create a fake organization that exists for no other reason than resume padding. And if you have rich parents it may not even be that hard to also "raise" an impressive amount of money for your "charity", not that you have to raise any money for it if you don't want to. Just say you started a charity, you don't have to mention that it never did anything.

Think of it the same way as those "mission to (third world country here)" trips. It sounds impressive and for awhile it successfully fooled adcoms. But then everyone figured out what was really happening during these "mission trips".

I realize you weren't being serious with this post, but sadly, this is what people on SDN and other pre-meds say. No one puts it so directly though like you wrote out. But sadly, you hit the nail on the head.

You never hear of someone just doing something they want or trying to find an activity that will make a genuine difference in peoples' lives. It's all about going on SDN, and starting a thread trying to find the best EC that would help boost their application.

I think you nailed this whole discussion a couple weeks ago when you said (and this is not exact):

You never hear pre-meds ask: "How can I help more people?" Instead, they ask: "How can I make myself look better?"

It's been my impression in this thread and elsewhere that when people refer to "fakers", they're not necessarily referring to all applicants who do something without genuinely caring about it. Rather, they're referring to applicants who misrepresent their activities to an extent that most people would consider lying ("truth enhancement" if you will).

For example, if you throw together a charity that raises money for childhood leukemia even if you actually hate kids and couldn't care less about cancer, who cares? But if your "charity" was just raising $20 in a day ($15 of which you put in yourself), then you're being dishonest when you brag about it on your application and in interviews.

And that's the problem with "charities" in admissions. It's really easy to create a fake organization that exists for no other reason than resume padding. And if you have rich parents it may not even be that hard to also "raise" an impressive amount of money for your "charity", not that you have to raise any money for it if you don't want to. Just say you started a charity, you don't have to mention that it never did anything.

Think of it the same way as those "mission to (third world country here)" trips. It sounds impressive and for awhile it successfully fooled adcoms. But then everyone figured out what was really happening during these "mission trips".

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the meaning of "fakers." I think I interpret it as people who are doing activities that they never would have done in the first place for the sake of improving their applications. The author emphasized in her letter that people technically can't be themselves, even though they are told to do so (which you hear time after time on SDN). Therefore, I don't think this is solely meant for the people who either lie or commit fraud.

If lying and fraud were considered an issue with medical school admissions, I think that medical schools would verify the ECs of all applicants. I remember the University of Michigan said that they were doing something like this since they found fake things on peoples' applications, or something like that. But at this time, medical schools still do not feel the need to do mass verification of activities. I don't know how many people fake things, but I'm guessing through the lack of verification, it's not a huge issue.

I think you nailed this whole discussion a couple weeks ago when you said (and this is not exact):

You never hear pre-meds ask: "How can I help more people?" Instead, they ask: "How can I make myself look better?"

Thanks and good point! I think that's the general mindset of "fakers." I'll add this to my signature when I change it around. :)

Sure, a lot of premeds probably feel pressured to get involved in tons of activities or embellish how involved they actually were. What about people who have struggled and have to hide it from adcoms? For instance, someone who has consistently shown success in the face of a chronic mental illness is most likely better off hiding it. If an adcom found out, he/she may easily doubt the ability of that person to make it through med school. So then the struggle that has shaped a person's life so much and pushed him/her to work harder for things in life is left out of the picture. In that way, an applicant's life isn't truly represented in the admissions process either.

Actually, I am a parent of a successful applicant. I've thought about going back myself, but yeah, financially, it would be a disaster.

I disagree about the disaster part. Nobody can predict your economic future so people saying it would be better for you to retire because you're too to go to medical school, reveals many things about them (and tons about you if you follow them):

1. Retirement at age 65 is a thing of the past
2. I miss my 401K (IOW: retirement is not in most people's future so you might as well work at something you enjoy as opposed to the contrary)
3. it is crazy (and shortsighted) to believe that physicians have no alternative but to settle for the 3rd party reimbursement model to make a living.
4. Having an MD is a ticket to many business venues, last of which is waiting for CMS to reimburse you $10 @ 120 days post office visit for a $200 ICD9 charge
5. Social Security is going bankrupt. Work like you are not counting on it, and if it happens to be available when you do retire, you'll be that much more better off financially

I am not counting on Social Security to pay me back anything
I am not counting on Medicare to be solvent when I qualify
I am not counting on CMS or Third Party Reimbursement business paradigm to recoup my economic investment in medical school

Life looks grand, and I am very excited about it.
Tell Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana, Cigna, Health Options, etc and CMS to kiss off. I am not going to play their game.

I disagree about the disaster part. Nobody can predict your economic future so people saying it would be better for you to retire because you're too to go to medical school, reveals many things about them (and tons about you if you follow them)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! And I think after being a mom for many years, I'd actually make a pretty good doctor. But I'm fortunate to have built a successful professional service business that allows me to earn now what I'd earn as a primary care physician (what I'd choose to do) 8 years from now (I'd need to go back for pre-reqs). Plus, I really do like what I do, though I'm not exactly saving lives ;-)

Besides, I've got my kid's medical school to help pay for :love:

Wait to you get on the other side of residency selection/interviews....you'll wonder how you ever got a spot....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've seen individual A be in the top 3 of one person and the bottom 3 of the next person.....fun times

Thanks for the vote of confidence! And I think after being a mom for many years, I'd actually make a pretty good doctor. But I'm fortunate to have built a successful professional service business that allows me to earn now what I'd earn as a primary care physician (what I'd choose to do) 8 years from now (I'd need to go back for pre-reqs). Plus, I really do like what I do, though I'm not exactly saving lives ;-)

I can feel your pride beaming from where you are to where I am! Nice! I think it is wonderful you feel that great at your yooooouuunnnngggg age! I do hope your "primary care physician" income continues. I do not wish anybody a loss of career in these times...expect insurance company executives. Pigs!!!!

You are probably saving lives in other ways. I think we future physicians can have a greater impact in our patients lives than we realize. And as I have made passing reference on SDN on my other posts, physicians can do a great deal of leading, shaping, forming public opinion. In fact, it was suggested to me this past week by a physician that he felt obesity is largely the fault of physicians for failing to influence their patients and failing to shape public opinion. Those are very interesting arguments and, frankly, spot on

So keep at your career, Doctor Mom, and pay your kids medical school. We need more examples like you.

Speaking of needing encouragement, I just posted a new article on my blog on the occasion of the Second Sunday of Easter. Chock full of good historical, Biblical examples to encourage older medical students.

- The Road Less Traveled to MD

People need to get this out of their heads! A for-profit company means that all profits go to shareholders, while a non-profit gets reinvested. However, a non-profit is re-invested usually has a board of extremely well-paid board of directors. And trust me, they make good money. Just because a non-profit doesn't answer the shareholders does not mean that is suddenly has a noble mission and everyone is working for free to help everyone.

This is why I hate it when people volunteer for standard non-profit hospitals. They take advantage of volunteers to do the work of the orderly. None of that money is technically thrown at patients. It can go to line to pockets of the well-paid board of directors. Hospitals keep a non-profit status by providing a certain amount of charity care each year. So what better way to spend that charity care on emergency room patients that are either illegal immigrants, vagrants, or people with no insurance that are living in such poverty that you will never collect on them? You're legally required to treat them by law, so why not use this as your charity care? It's also a good thing to do charity care for the people who might make the news, so your hospital looks good.

This is a far cry from institutions like Shriners or free clinics that actually provide care at no cost. These are the places where people should be volunteering. So in the end, I don't quite see why people should vilify a pre-med starting a sham non-profit versus a standard run-of-the-mill non-profit hospital. They both try to look like saints, even though they couldn't be further away from it.

1. the BOD of non-profit children's hospitals usually comprise large corporate CONTRIBUTERS to the hospital. I won't comment about other hospitals, but I do know how it works at non-profit children's hospitals. I challenge you to document any BOD at a non-profit children's hospital that is paid.

2. Shriners began charging insurance about 2 years ago as is their right. They still provide much free care, but not all of it is free anymore.

3. At a children's hospital the vast majority of charity care is not EMTALA related. It just isn't. It's mostly in-patient care and some out-patient for families who have no other resources.

It's interesting because I first came across it on a scathing review on gawker http://gawker.com/5993140/attention...ill-that-should-earn-you-admission-to-college
The gawker article was being passed around with comments about how horrible she is, while actually reading the original WSJ article, allows one to appreciate it for its satire.
Gawker seems to imply that she's completely serious and doesn't understand that she's being whiny and entitled, which completely skewed my first impression.

And like others who are 'older', kids didn't do this kind of stuff to get into college when I was in high school. We played sports, were in the band, chorus, drama, math league, etc. because we thought it was fun. The honor society volunteered at a nursing home because it was fun. At least 2 of my h.s. class have just finished their residencies...

Of course, I wasn't a 'premed' in college either, but I still played intramural and club level sports, held a leadership position in an academic interest club, did research, and generally became a more well rounded, mature person along the way. None of it was with any "goal" in mind.

As a premed with a failed cycle who is also as diverse as a saltine cracker, I think her piece was great. But ohhhh boy. Did I ever get into a crazy comment war on facebook with all of my boyfriend's ivy league classmates. I find that those who are most successful in life, those who have no idea what rejection feels like, are the ones who are most likely to turn their noses up to this girl and call her entitled. I also noticed that those who looked most scathingly on her where the ivy league URMs. Maybe they were subconsciously trying to defend their admission, idk, but dayum, can these people hate on white privilege. (FYI: My high school grades and SAT scores were higher than theirs, AND my boyfriend's, but he got in while I didn't - he has an interesting background and is a legacy)

It's so easy from the top to snicker at someone at the bottom like they do her, especially when these people on the top may have been guilty of some of the very things she attacks. However, from someone on the bottom, someone who has been rejected so often, kicked around, in part because my background is as boring as can be, as much as I have tried to fix this and as hard as I've worked for this, I can 100% relate and agree. My heart really goes out with her; I intimately feel what she is going through.

That being said, I really found her reference to "if there was a closet, I'd come out of it!" and "I'd wear a headdress to school every day!" kind of offensive, but it's not like I could blame her - I had no idea what cultural appropriation was when I was 17, nor did I understand the impact of homophobia all that well. She could have done a great job without making those two references.

I know my Canadian "state" school is obsessed with virtuosity. All the people I know with interviews either had 4.0 GPAs or virtuosity in something - I've heard everything ranging from olympic athlete, National Champion in pole dancing, and yes, former pilot (shout out to Planes2Doc haha). It's virtuosity that makes many similar applicants stand out on a page. In a way, it's kind of unfair. But in a way, it's hard to come up with a better system under the stress of so much competition.

My boyfriend made me delete all my comments because they were "embarrassing him". I was arguing that it was just innocent satire and not meant to be racist, whereas his friends were complaining about how disgusting and racist the piece was and that this spoiled entitled brat shouldn't have been allowed to speak.... I could never say this in polite company but I think what she wrote was the bomb - it's exactly what I wanted to tell colleges at 18 but had neither the guts nor writing skills to do so!

As a premed with a failed cycle who is also as diverse as a saltine cracker, I think her piece was great. But ohhhh boy. Did I ever get into a crazy comment war on facebook with all of my boyfriend's ivy league classmates. I find that those who are most successful in life, those who have no idea what rejection feels like, are the ones who are most likely to turn their noses up to this girl and call her entitled. I also noticed that those who looked most scathingly on her where the ivy league URMs. Maybe they were subconsciously trying to defend their admission, idk, but dayum, can these people hate on white privilege. (FYI: My high school grades and SAT scores were higher than theirs, AND my boyfriend's, but he got in while I didn't - he has an interesting background and is a legacy)

It's so easy from the top to snicker at someone at the bottom like they do her, especially when these people on the top may have been guilty of some of the very things she attacks. However, from someone on the bottom, someone who has been rejected so often, kicked around, in part because my background is as boring as can be, as much as I have tried to fix this and as hard as I've worked for this, I can 100% relate and agree. My heart really goes out with her; I intimately feel what she is going through.

That being said, I really found her reference to "if there was a closet, I'd come out of it!" and "I'd wear a headdress to school every day!" kind of offensive, but it's not like I could blame her - I had no idea what cultural appropriation was when I was 17, nor did I understand the impact of homophobia all that well. She could have done a great job without making those two references.

I know my Canadian "state" school is obsessed with virtuosity. All the people I know with interviews either had 4.0 GPAs or virtuosity in something - I've heard everything ranging from olympic athlete, National Champion in pole dancing, and yes, former pilot (shout out to Planes2Doc haha). It's virtuosity that makes many similar applicants stand out on a page. In a way, it's kind of unfair. But in a way, it's hard to come up with a better system under the stress of so much competition.

My boyfriend made me delete all my comments because they were "embarrassing him". I was arguing that it was just innocent satire and not meant to be racist, whereas his friends were complaining about how disgusting and racist the piece was and that this spoiled entitled brat shouldn't have been allowed to speak.... I could never say this in polite company but I think what she wrote was the bomb - it's exactly what I wanted to tell colleges at 18 but had neither the guts nor writing skills to do so!

Now I understand the article a bit better. "Headdress"? That went over might head. So did "out of the closet".

Yeah that really stunk and it was not necessary.

However, if you read Lauren Weisberger's book, "Devil Wears Prada", her mouth is like that of a WWII sailor. She is foul mouth in her book from page one. However the book was awesome and the movie of course hysterical, even if the latter failed to capture the crude writing of the book.

I like your honesty about: "diverse as a saltine cracker"

Kudos

ITT:

first-world-problems.jpg

Seriously, the worst you have to whine about is "My background is too boring so I didn't get into an Ivy league school"? Good lord.

That reminds me of the same meme:

"I wish my parents didn't make as much money. So I can have a poor person's worth ethic like you!"

The reason why I think she is acting way too "entitled" is because she got into a good college, and should be thankful to be going somewhere. Ivy League schools can't accept everyone. Besides, Ann Arbor is a fun city from what I hear :D

It reminds me of the cringeworthy pre med who cries that they didn't get into a Top 20 school but is going to a decent med school. Be lucky you actually got accepted and run with it.

Last edited:
Good read, it totally reminds me of how I felt in high school after my top choice rejected me. I may or may not be still be a bit bitter even after all these years :lol:

Sure, a lot of premeds probably feel pressured to get involved in tons of activities or embellish how involved they actually were. What about people who have struggled and have to hide it from adcoms? For instance, someone who has consistently shown success in the face of a chronic mental illness is most likely better off hiding it. If an adcom found out, he/she may easily doubt the ability of that person to make it through med school. So then the struggle that has shaped a person's life so much and pushed him/her to work harder for things in life is left out of the picture. In that way, an applicant's life isn't truly represented in the admissions process either.

This is a great point. It's much more common than people realize.

Wait so if I'm reading this correctly you're some kid's helicopter mom who hangs out on pre-med forums dispensing advice on WAMC threads?

Wait so if I'm reading this correctly you're some kid's helicopter mom who hangs out on pre-med forums dispensing advice on WAMC threads?

I like your tag line (I KNOW NOTHING)

No one who knows me or my kid would ever accuse me of 'helicoptering' Involved? yes. Tiger? possibly. Helicopter? not in a million years. (The difference between 'Involved' and 'Helicopter' being, in my view, independence and autonomy: the parent does not make the decisions or insulate the kid from the consequences.)

Dispensing advice on WAMC threads? Guilty as charged. This forum was so valuable during my son/daughter's application cycle that 'paying it back' seems like the socially responsible thing to do. I figured that after a successful application cycle and many years' of life experience, (including several as a regional Ivy AdCom) my input was likely to be as valuable, if perhaps not even more so, than a 22-year old pre-med's.

So take it for what it's worth -- :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user