Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Touro

Will attempt to have 110 seats!!

Most will be set aside of New Yorkers

It will be considered a public institution !!!

Biochemistry is required

Along with BCP Basics

$2000 1st down payment

Is the bit about preference for NYers for real?

Members don't see this ad.

I purchased the online version. But did not enter the correct email. Is there a way for ADEA to re-send the link? I don't want to have to re-purchase it due to email error.

Call them and have your log in info ready...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can picture your tombstone.

In the loving memory of Tooth Knockn.

A fish and a pharmacist.

May he rest with the fishes.

Ugh

You again....

Ha
Ha
You are so funny....

And I am not a pharmacist nor a fish....

This is a dental forum and my avatar is of the great white shark.... Biting your butt....

Go away....

Please if anybody gets any updates post it... Here or somewhere !

Right above that it also says "Admissions process distinguishes between in-state and out of state applicants: No"

Hmmm

Read below that !

Don't be so quick to swing....

Look first

ah I don't get why people get offense over things so easy. If people want to apply there, let them be. Saturation or not, it will be 5 years from now so who knows what is going to happen. Everything can happen in 5 years. If you are competent, you will always be a competent one, no matter which school you choose. If you are already a bad one, well I don't think even Ivy can save you from being a bad one.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. This is what happens when the government hands out free money. Education means big bucks. And for those of you who think you guys are so smart and know everything and like to say foolish comments like "Oh well there will be more dentists retiring", I encourage you to look at what the leading dental consulting firm says about that (Hint: Dentists are NOT retiring). This is bad for the profession: more oversaturation and no effect on access to care

Reactions: 3 users
@tooth knockn why do you always feel the need to type 4 periods after every phrase? One period is sufficient. Show adcoms that you understand how grammar works.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea ! ! !

How you like that .... ?

But about Touro

I am so excited.....

Whether I get in or not....
For all north easterners this is a great addition... Another way to stay close to home.... Especially for the new yorkinians.

so how many seat? public? private? tuition? we can apply this october? :) :clap:

so is this school giving a strong preference to OOS students? And if so, where is this info coming from? I can't even find a working website for touro's (soon to be) dental school o_O

That stink eye emoji always makes me lolo_O

Maybe if we keep bumping this thread they will be inspired to create the dental page

Good for them. Its really hard to find a dentist on Long Island right now, so it makes sense that they would want another d school here….

The problem I have with yet another very expensive for profit type school opening is this. Eventally the education bubble will burst, much like the housing bubble burst. And when it does it will take these for profit schools with them, much like it took the sub prime mortgages during the housing bubble. YOu think it's great that yeah another school I can apply to and maybe get into because its new and easier to get into....wait until you are left holding the bag with no degree to show for it. This isn't doom and gloom...it will happen.

The problem I have with yet another very expensive for profit type school opening is this. Eventally the education bubble will burst, much like the housing bubble burst. And when it does it will take these for profit schools with them, much like it took the sub prime mortgages during the housing bubble. YOu think it's great that yeah another school I can apply to and maybe get into because its new and easier to get into....wait until you are left holding the bag with no degree to show for it. This isn't doom and gloom...it will happen.

Already happened awhile back for dental school, it will most likely happen again. When it does, schools that don't generate much money due to lack of a lot of patients will shut down.

Already happened awhile back for dental school, it will most likely happen again. When it does, schools that don't generate much money due to lack of a lot of patients will shut down.

taking account of the high investment of a new DS's start-up cost, do you think rampant opening of DS will happen? (like pharmacy school situation now?

I am afraid.

taking account of the high investment of a new DS's start-up cost, do you think rampant opening of DS will happen? (like pharmacy school situation now?

I am afraid.

No, DS is too expensive and difficult to establish and maintain.

They won't be replaced by a vending machine either. I can't think of a worse healthcare profession than pharmacist.

is it really possible to use machine to dispense drug? sigh yea agree what if machine break down and give wrong med. may be they use it but some human pharmD must be on site to inspect and approve

I wish I was applying 10 years ago when the average GPA was a 3.2 with a DAT of 17...

Reactions: 7 users
is it really possible to use machine to dispense drug? sigh yea agree what if machine break down and give wrong med. may be they use it but some human pharmD must be on site to inspect and approve

They already have them. They are way more reliable and faster than human.

http://www.statepress.com/article/2014/11/vending-machine-replaces-asu-on-campus-pharmacy/

https://www.pharmacist.com/pharmacy-vending-machine

It's a dying profession, despite how vocal pharmacists claim that their jobs are still needed. The profession will undoubtedly shrink in the future, if it even exists at all.

Have done some reading in the Pharm section of this forum, and I would be worried if I were wanting to go into the profession.

Optometry also does not look to have the best long term outlook.

Anecdotal, but I hate pharmacology. I find it stupid and tedious... which is probably why I love being able to call up the local pharmacist when I suspect that one of my prescriptions might interact with something a patient is already taking. Sure, there are algorithms, epocrates and other programs one could use. When you have a schedule full of patients, however, the time available for you to educate yourself can be limited. Anyone willing to keep track of all that crap for me has my blessing and my respect.
I also used to think that hygienists were stupidly overpaid... until I realized that they happily sacrificed their wrists so mine could last longer. Anyway, my point is: if you play your cards right, you'll have enough on your plate without having to worry about what other professions are doing.

PS: take those articles with a grain of salt... not that long ago, much was made about the "decline" of dentistry due to technical advances, and clearly, that did not happen.

Reactions: 7 users
Anecdotal, but I hate pharmacology. I find it stupid and tedious... which is probably why I love being able to call up the local pharmacist when I suspect that one of my prescriptions might interact with something a patient is already taking. Sure, there are algorithms, epocrates and other programs one could use. When you have a schedule full of patients, however, the time available for you to educate yourself can be limited. Anyone willing to keep track of all that crap for me has my blessing and my respect.
I also used to think that hygienists were stupidly overpaid... until I realized that they happily sacrificed their wrists so mine could last longer. Anyway, my point is: if you play your cards right, you'll have enough on your plate without having to worry about what other professions are doing.

PS: take those articles with a grain of salt... not that long ago, much was made about the "decline" of dentistry due to technical advances, and clearly, that did not happen.

if you dont mind, how much hygienists are paid in your area? what do you mean when you say sacrifice your wrist? Don't hygienist make your patient flow faster and you still do most of the work?

I wish I was applying 10 years ago when the average GPA was a 3.2 with a DAT of 17...

ehhhhh,

6 of one half dozen of the other.

GPA inflation IS a reality. The "average" grade for Harvard undergrad is an A-.

http://www.gradeinflation.com
figure1.gif

At least today it is possible to get much more information about the actual profession, and get solid advice on preparing, applying for, and surviving dental school - this website alone is a wealth of info in this regard.

Bottom line, it's NEVER been easy to become a dentist, and that isn't likely to change. As far as getting admitted, the large increase in available first year spots from 10-15 years ago probably offsets the greater interest in the profession, for the most part.

There has been close to a 25% increase in the number of first year slots available, from roughly 4,000 to close to 5,000, since the first of the wave of "new" dental schools started opening, starting with Nova Southeastern in 1997 (before that it had been over 2 decades since a new dental school opened).

What you SHOULD wish for is that dental school tuition is what it was 10+ years ago. Todays tuition is obscene.

With mail order pharmacies, you can staff a couple pharmacists to review the prescriptions that would have taken dozens to to before in a brick and mortar pharmacy though. It's pretty easy to build a machine to dispense pills into a bottle but not so easy to create a machine that can evaluate a tooth and fill it properly.

Last edited:
Based on what I've heard about Touro's medical school, I would not be the least bit excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for being random and superficial, but I'd never go somewhere named "Touro." Like, come on... Why couldn't they just name it New York Dental College (I know New York Medical College was established before Touro bought it, but still... lol)

Sorry for being random and superficial, but I'd never go somewhere named "Touro." Like, come on... Why couldn't they just name it New York Dental College (I know New York Medical College was established before Touro bought it, but still... lol)

Maybe because it would get confused with the NYU College of Dentistry?

As for needing more seats in dental schools, in 2008 there were 4680 seats, in 2014, 5843, so an 8.01% increase. In 2008, the US population was 304.09 million, in 2014, 318.86, a 9.5% growth. In 2015 the estimated population is 320.61, a 9.9% growth. Adding 110 seats represents a 9.8% growth. So, the number of seats in dental schools are keeping up with the population growth in the US. Add in all of the Marketplace Heath Insurance plans for kids under 19 that are required to have dental coverage and the elective coverage for adults that may not have had dental insurance in the past and I don't see a problem with more dental school seats as long as it keeps pace with the population.

Maybe because it would get confused with the NYU College of Dentistry?

As for needing more seats in dental schools, in 2008 there were 4680 seats, in 2014, 5843, so an 8.01% increase. In 2008, the US population was 304.09 million, in 2014, 318.86, a 9.5% growth. In 2015 the estimated population is 320.61, a 9.9% growth. Adding 110 seats represents a 9.8% growth. So, the number of seats in dental schools are keeping up with the population growth in the US. Add in all of the Marketplace Heath Insurance plans for kids under 19 that are required to have dental coverage and the elective coverage for adults that may not have had dental insurance in the past and I don't see a problem with more dental school seats as long as it keeps pace with the population.

Correct, but why Long Island? This is perhaps the most critically over saturated area in the US for dentists. For example, my hometown of Port Jefferson has 5 practices on a 1 mile stretch of main street. Thats just 1 street! Broaden the scope to a couple square miles and there are more than 10 practices serving a town of less than 8,000 people. Scan the island and you will see more situations like this, perhaps even worse. All of this while NY population is actually decreasing.

Correct, but why Long Island? This is perhaps the most critically over saturated area in the US for dentists. For example, my hometown of Port Jefferson has 5 practices on a 1 mile stretch of main street. Thats just 1 street! Broaden the scope to a couple square miles and there are more than 10 practices serving a town of less than 8,000 people. Scan the island and you will see more situations like this, perhaps even worse. All of this while NY population is actually decreasing.

I guess, why not? How many dentists stay and actually practice in the immediate area of their dental school? Also, there are places in rural NY that are in the underserved areas, not to mention areas right in NYC that qualify. It's highly unlikely that many, if any, dentists that train there will stay on Long Island.

I guess, why not? How many dentists stay and actually practice in the immediate area of their dental school? Also, there are places in rural NY that are in the underserved areas, not to mention areas right in NYC that qualify. It's highly unlikely that many, if any, dentists that train there will stay on Long Island.

I provided the list of why nots in my post :eyebrow: And what makes you think dentists don't stick around? Between research, part time faculty, etc. the opposite is actually true. Even if only 25% of new Touro grads stick around (and thats a big if) then its still exacerbating the problem significantly.

Can you please reference that..,

NYC has undeserved areas...

I'm pretty sure a lot of dental students from ny will stay in ny....

Any New Yorkers disagree?

I'm staying...

And Long Island is not the same as nyc.... Queens borough is attached to long island .

Go Touro

I did see nyc has medically underserved areas but no dental ...

I find tooth knockn's excitement for a dental school that hasn't even opened yet (or established itself to have an even mediocre reputation) to be fascinating.

Last edited:
I find tooth knockn's excitement for a dental school that hasn't even opened yet (or established itself to have an even mediocre reputation) to be fascinating.

I heart NY

anything beneficial to it I support...

Based on Touro's school description, it will have all the modern dental stuff.... And it is a public school, that means the community will benefit... And there are a lot of undeserved areas in that west cheater area of ny.....

Ny FL CA Texas are the most important states..,, they must have the best of the best and with unlimited quantity ...

The only negative I see that Touro might and could do... But most likey won't do is a $80k+ tuition fee.... For NY residents.... That will be big problem... Then stony and buffalo will raise there tuition for the natives.....