Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know if they screen sgpa <3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't but they will most likely not offer an interview with sub-3.0... and it's a $200 secondary app.

How does this school look inside? Outside it looks.......:confused:

The inside of the school is actually very nice and I was pleasantly surprised the first time I was there.

Also... it's Harlem man, that's what the entire area looks like.

I got an ii with a sub-3.0 GPA, but I also had a mid-30s MCAT, so that may have been a factor.

A decent GPA and high (9-10+) bio score on the MCAT are what they're looking for. In terms of COMLEX, the only thing that really correlates to performance in medical school and on the exam is that bio score. When I started here (2011), it wasn't so strict. Now, the preclinical dean likes to boast at how they're only looking at people with a min of 10 for bio scores. (Granted what he says, and what admissions does can be different)

Good luck to everyone applying. And as some general advice that made me feel better when I got rejected- remember that only one school has to say yes!

A decent GPA and high (9-10+) bio score on the MCAT are what they're looking for. In terms of COMLEX, the only thing that really correlates to performance in medical school and on the exam is that bio score. When I started here (2011), it wasn't so strict. Now, the preclinical dean likes to boast at how they're only looking at people with a min of 10 for bio scores. (Granted what he says, and what admissions does can be different)

Good luck to everyone applying. And as some general advice that made me feel better when I got rejected- remember that only one school has to say yes!

I had a 12 in bio, so that may have been the only reason I got an ii. I also heard that about the suggested importance of the bio subsection score on my interview day, so it seems like its a big factor for them.

How much do they care about VR?

The inside of the school is actually very nice and I was pleasantly surprised the first time I was there.

Also... it's Harlem man, that's what the entire area looks like.

So true. :p Gotta love Harlem, though! :love:

Needless to say, I'm definitely applying to TouroCOM-NY this upcoming cycle! :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am most definitely applying here. Does anyone know someone on facebook willing to post pics of inside the building?

I thought y'all might find this interesting. It would be in place for your year.

http://www.touro.edu/news/press-rel...to-open-nations-first-virtual-holographic.php

Keep an eye open for the 2013 Match Data that I'm sure will be posted in the near future. It's VERY impressive.

I think this is for the new Touro DO school opening in Middletown, NY. It is supposed to open for next fall, so you should be able to apply to it; don't confuse it with the school in Harlem, NY.

It is a bit confusing because the Harlem school is announcing it for the newer school in Middletown. Not sure if they will be two different schools or satellite campuses that share the same accreditation like Touro CA and Touro NV (still pretty separate schools).

I think this is for the new Touro DO school opening in Middletown, NY. It is supposed to open for next fall, so you should be able to apply to it; don't confuse it with the school in Harlem, NY.

It is a bit confusing because the Harlem school is announcing it for the newer school in Middletown. Not sure if they will be two different schools or satellite campuses that share the same accreditation like Touro CA and Touro NV (still pretty separate schools).

From what it seems like from our school and talking with the coordinators in Middletown- the Middletown campus is going to be a satellite of the Harlem campus- they're going to share the same iTunesU videos and are thinking of trying to do a tele-OMM lab because finding someone who can teach OMM well is apparently very hard.

From what it seems like from our school and talking with the coordinators in Middletown- the Middletown campus is going to be a satellite of the Harlem campus- they're going to share the same iTunesU videos and are thinking of trying to do a tele-OMM lab because finding someone who can teach OMM well is apparently very hard.

I don't see the Middletown extension in the AACOMAS list :(

I don't see the Middletown extension in the AACOMAS list :(

If they are setting it up like a satellite campus, they may just go through the same TouroCOM application, and then just offer the Middletown campus as a preference (or even an option for waitlisters). Kind of like how the Seton Hill campus is a pathway preference at LECOM, even though you still go through the Erie application process.

If they are setting it up like a satellite campus, they may just go through the same TouroCOM application, and then just offer the Middletown campus as a preference (or even an option for waitlisters). Kind of like how the Seton Hill campus is a pathway preference at LECOM, even though you still go through the Erie application process.

I had no idea LECOM worked that way. That explains why I only saw Erie and Brandenton...

Or it could still be getting set up and won't start accepting applications till a bit later in the fall.

Or it could still be getting set up and won't start accepting applications till a bit later in the fall.

I believe this is going to be the case. Everything is set up, waiting on the last yes to get everything going.

Hey TouroNY students out there!

Any chance anyone will be around the school on Thursday? This school is definitely at the top of my list, and since I'm in the area I thought I would swing by for a quick look. Also, are admissions open to appointments for tours or meetings?

Thanks guys!

so theres another school that will take applications starting THIS fall for NEXT fall????

They don't but they will most likely not offer an interview with sub-3.0... and it's a $200 secondary app.

i got an ii with sub 3.0 and mid 20s mcat

*im not URM

Any students current at school wanna give some info on school? A day in the life? The testing structure? I like the school mission, the area, and LOVE DO! Hope OOS isn't a big turnoff!

hi guys,

just wondering what my chances would be at this school, I am a NY resident. cGPA 3.1 (health issues during first 2 years of college), sGPA 3.6 (with some retakes), 23 MCAT (first take) 27 MCAT (retake): 8,9,10 (PS,VB,BS). i have volunteered at a hospital, shadowed a DO, tutored chemistry and biology at my undergrad institution for over 3 years, student mentor for incoming science majors w/ the Student Development Department, volunteered in soup kitchens feeding the homeless to name a few ECs.

Unlike NYIT, there is no in-state preference at Touro COM.

Is there a big out of state preference for NYIT, or does just a majority of their applicants come from NY? I remember at my interview there was only 2 people not from NY out of the group.

looking at all the posts above talking about how important the bio section is on the mcat that they are cutting off people with lower than 10. I have an 8 on the mcat bio section (second try), but my overall score is above 30. For my first try on the MCAT, I have a bio score of 11, but messed up the other two sections, and ended up withe a score in the mid 20s. With the 8 on bio, do I have a chance at the school? and not a NY resident.:scared:

Is the cut off really a 10 for bio ?

One way to find out.

BTW, sit back and chill for a while because this school didn't send secondaries until the end of august last year. They apparently go through a major screening pre-secondary because when you get one it almost guarantees an interview.

looking at all the posts above talking about how important the bio section is on the mcat that they are cutting off people with lower than 10. I have an 8 on the mcat bio section (second try), but my overall score is above 30. For my first try on the MCAT, I have a bio score of 11, but messed up the other two sections, and ended up withe a score in the mid 20s. With the 8 on bio, do I have a chance at the school? and not a NY resident.:scared:

Not being a NY resident will not effect you in any way.

There happens to be a lot of people from the greater NYC area that apply because they value being in Manhattan, but there is no "preference." I can tell you there are a lot of people from all over the country, especially California. I was not a NY resident myself.

The most important thing is to have an answer for "Why Harlem?" As long as you have a genuine answer for that I don't think your geographical area will effect you. I know volunteering in a hospital in an urban environment helped me.

As for the bio subsection, I too have heard the "10" rumor but I don't know how true it is. This is just a rumor though - if your composite is high and you love the school definitely go for it.

One way to find out.

BTW, sit back and chill for a while because this school didn't send secondaries until the end of august last year. They apparently go through a major screening pre-secondary because when you get one it almost guarantees an interview.

This is true.

It was the last secondary I received and was the first school I applied to of over 20. The secondary is more expensive than most, but they also don't automatically send secondaries to a million students like most schools. There is a heavy pre-screen.

Bio of 10 will be disappointing as I scored 9's across the board.

I just called the admissions office got some enlightening news about the new tauro Middletown, NY branch campus

You apply as normal through the tauro in Harlem. If you meet the pre screening requirements, on the secondary app you can pick which campus you prefer. At that point they pretty much separate the apps to each campus and take a closer look at LOR, personal statement, etc. By next years admissions process, the Middletown, NY campus will have a separate admissions committee.

The pre screening is minimum 24 mcat, 3.0sGPA, 3.0 cGPA. I asked how strict the cutoff is and his answer was blurry so I guess there's some slack room. Also the secondary app is $200 so the pre screening is likely skimp so they can take your cash and send you rejection letters. I still plan on applying and hope this info helps!

Also the secondary app is $200 so the pre screening is likely skimp so they can take your cash and send you rejection letters.

I actually think it's the opposite of this.

I don't think they send out anywhere near the number of secondaries as other schools and the $200 fee sways people away from applying that are not truly interested in the school's location and mission.

If you get a secondary, the rate of interview invites is also way higher. Thus, the pre-screening is way stricter for getting a secondary in the first place.

I actually think it's the opposite of this.

I don't think they send out anywhere near the number of secondaries as other schools and the $200 fee sways people away from applying that are not truly interested in the school's location and mission.

If you get a secondary, the rate of interview invites is also way higher. Thus, the pre-screening is way stricter for getting a secondary in the first place.

hmm I'm not sure about the number of secondaries they send out. If you have this information, thanks for sharing.

I was thinking about it from the opposite spectrum. From the Tauro point of view, secondaries at $200, is straight bank. At the end of the day, medical schools are a business, so might as well send out plenty of secondaries to cash out. I may be wrong. Nonetheless, the point of the above post was to let people know about the branch campus.

Last edited:
Then I can only really hope for a secondary!!!

This school is at the top of my list! I'm from Tennessee and I'd love to live in New York! Good luck everyone!

i spoke with the adcom yesterday and apparently the average MCAT for CO-17 is 30 ... the days of <30 DO acceptances are coming to an end in the next 5-6 years im thinking..

i spoke with the adcom yesterday and apparently the average MCAT for CO-17 is 30 ... the days of <30 DO acceptances are coming to an end in the next 5-6 years im thinking..

is that 30 the average mcat for the people who are attending? what is the average mcat for people accepted--that's what is more important.

there has to be some BS about Touro because how are they screening anyone below a 30? They can't compete with MD schools.

there has to be some BS about Touro because how are they screening anyone below a 30? They can't compete with MD schools.

No they screen below 24, the average accepted was 30 thats all the guy on the phone told me

In order to get rotation sites in NYC, they probably think that if they take students like many MD schools do(based off stats primarily, then they will churn out "better" students and in turn get students matched at better programs. That is just something I completely made up though.

I do think that because touro is in nyc, it will definitely be more attractive to a wider variety of students than other schools and allow touro to become more selective of its student body. Goro said that he talked to an adcom from touro-ny and they had like 5-6k applicants..maybe more. That is ahuge jump from last year and already more than most DO schools. The trend will probably continue.

got damit
such a big jump from last yr

the hell