Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All these numbers being thrown around. I think it's just to filter and scare. I'm sure its gotten more competitive, but not to the degree that if you have a 3.2 / 26 you'll still have a hard time getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

All these numbers being thrown around. I think it's just to filter and scare. I'm sure its gotten more competitive, but not to the degree that if you have a 3.2 / 26 you'll still have a hard time getting in.

For DO schools, I feel that if we have at least 25mcat and at least cum and sci 3.6gpa, there's a chance at all the schools statistically speaking.

For DO schools, I feel that if we have at least 25mcat and at least cum and sci 3.6gpa, there's a chance at all the schools statistically speaking.

I think thats the most reasonable/rational thing someone has said on SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how Touro COM NY looks at MCAT retakes? do they consider the newest score or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each section?!?!?!

Anyone have any updates on the new campus in Middletown and if we'll be able to apply for it this cycle?

does anyone know how Touro COM NY looks at MCAT retakes? do they consider the newest score or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each section?!?!?!

i think they take highest total

Reactions: 1 user
I called Friday. They said that early-August they will send out secondaries. They are trying to schedule interviews earliest September this year.

They also said they are expecting applications to increase this year. I told the doctor about my GPA and she said that they are honestly looking for candidates with strong upper level science courses with preferably a GPA of 3.3-3.4 and an MCAT of at least 27.

They either rejected or waitlisted last year anyone below a 28. She said if your stats are not 3.3 and 27, then you need to have an extremely strong compelling reason why that is and what you're currently doing to address the issue substantially.

She also says that although they CAN and have interviewed people with 9 BS, they are being stricter now and they want a 10 BS to be considered but a 11-12 BS is what they truly look for.

I asked her why the standards are that much higher than 2011, and she said because by preparing stronger candidates, they have the opportunity to open up more rotation sites and continue to strengthen the school's education and their match list.

Touro is not playing around this year. If you don't have these minimum stats, expect to be waitlisted or rejected.

A TA also told me the same thing.

Last edited:
Then I hope my EC's pull me through this year. Never would have expected a 27 MCAT being too low for a DO school this half of the decade honestly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I hope my EC's pull me through this year. Never would have expected a 27 MCAT being too low for a DO school this half of the decade honestly.

Everything's getting worse man.. the best we can do is get in somewhere and grab a degree before MCAT averages are 35

Things are getting tough. 35 mcat averages are around the corner. Touro's average mcat shot up 5 points in just one year

I called Friday. They said that early-August they will send out secondaries. They are trying to schedule interviews earliest September this year.

They also said they are expecting applications to increase this year. I told the doctor about my GPA and she said that they are honestly looking for candidates with strong upper level science courses with preferably a GPA of 3.3-3.4 and an MCAT of at least 27.

They either rejected or waitlisted last year anyone below a 28. She said if your stats are not 3.3 and 27, then you need to have an extremely strong compelling reason why that is and what you're currently doing to address the issue substantially.

She also says that although they CAN and have interviewed people with 9 BS, they are being stricter now and they want a 10 BS to be considered but a 11-12 BS is what they truly look for.

I asked her why the standards are that much higher than 2011, and she said because by preparing stronger candidates, they have the opportunity to open up more rotation sites and continue to strengthen the school's education and their match list.

Touro is not playing around this year. If you don't have these minimum stats, expect to be waitlisted or rejected.

dam
sounds competitive this yr :scared:

I've only got a 3.26 but 34 MCAT and an 11 BS. I hope I'm still in good shape here. Come on, what's .04 points?:mad:

This is insane. Are they trying to make it a M.D school? Plus a 28 is the average score for Touro

This is insane. Are they trying to make it a M.D school? Plus a 28 is the average score for Touro

yea last year when i was waitlisted they said i needed to get a 30 on the mcat to be considered to get off the waitlist. when i interviewed there they said that after becoming accredited they don't need to or want to take just anyone anymore and are going to be way more strict with acceptances.

:laugh: **** this school. I was borderline about applying but after seeing this, they can eat a ****.

They lost my secondary fee too. NO WAY I'm gonna pay $200 just to get rejected by some "new" osteopathic school.

I'm just gonna apply to LECOM in its place. I learned the best application cycle is when you apply smartly not just broadly.

yea last year when i was waitlisted they said i needed to get a 30 on the mcat to be considered to get off the waitlist. when i interviewed there they said that after becoming accredited they don't need to or want to take just anyone anymore and are going to be way more strict with acceptances.

I can go to a M.D school with a 30 !!!!!!!!! **** Touro and NYCOM are the only two D.O schools in my state :cry: Looks like I'm going out of state this stinks !!!

How about study for the MCAT? You haven't even taken it yet and are admitting defeat. Have some confidence in yourself!

It's not a matter of the MCAT it's just annoying that Touro, a new school, is elevating itself to a M.D level. I thought one of the characteristics of osteopathic universities was that they look past the numbers. Hence why the majority of them have MCAT averages that are <30

Won't there be a big tradeoff with super high mcats (for DO schools) and gpa?

Why are you guys complaining so much. The school wants a high caliber student reputation I suppose. You can't fault them for things other schools do; they are in NYC..c'mon. If you really want the school, get your stats in line with what they want. It's not such a ridiculous thing

Why are you guys complaining so much. The school wants a high caliber student reputation I suppose. You can't fault them for things other schools do; they are in NYC..c'mon. If you really want the school, get your stats in line with what they want. It's not such a ridiculous thing

If it was that easy, we wouldn't be in this position.

$200 secondary fee
Ugly campus that's literally above a pawn shop
Unestablished
Terrible rotations (or so I've heard)
...and now this ridiculous superiority complex

If I broke the magical "30" barrier, I sure as hell wouldn't be applying to a DO school in the armpit of NYC that's only been around for 5 years.

Puck yes. This is like the obese girl at the club demanding to go home with the best looking guy there and won't settle for any of the other good looking guys. She also doesn't know that the good looking guys weren't even paying attention to her until she blurted this bs out.

I agree that they are exaggerating their expectations. They added 200 seats this year so it will make things less competitive this cycle.

The only thing Touro really has an edge over the more established DO schools is the location. Harlem isn't ideal but its still like 4 streets away from Central Park.

Also the $200 secondary fee almost turns into an interview fee since they interview most people they give a secondary to.

And honestly, F the MCAT. If the MCAT consisted of just the PS/BS sections then i would consider it a decent evaluation of undergraduate pre-requisite knowledge. But no, lets throw in a bunch of random passages out of context and ask bs opinionated questions on them. (VERBAL)

The only thing Touro really has an edge over the more established DO schools is the location. Harlem isn't ideal but its still like 4 streets away from Central Park.

Also the $200 secondary fee almost turns into an interview fee since they interview most people they give a secondary to.

And honestly, F the MCAT. If the MCAT consisted of just the PS/BS sections then i would consider it a decent evaluation of undergraduate pre-requisite knowledge. But no, lets throw in a bunch of random passages out of context and ask bs opinionated questions on them. (VERBAL)

Um, do you know how big central park is? Saying you are 4 streets away from central park is not saying much, when it spans like 51 blocks long and 3 avenues wide.

I agree that they are exaggerating their expectations. They added 200 seats this year so it will make things less competitive this cycle.
There is no way tourocom NY is adding 200 seats in 1 year. That is just an absurd amount. Unless you're talking about the middletown branch, which is only 125 or 135 seats, not really the same since it's a completely different location with completely different faculty. So no, competition wont be less.

And honestly, F the MCAT. If the MCAT consisted of just the PS/BS sections then i would consider it a decent evaluation of undergraduate pre-requisite knowledge. But no, lets throw in a bunch of random passages out of context and ask bs opinionated questions on them. (VERBAL)[/QUOTE]

Dude story of my life. My MCAT score is very meh and it's the one hurdle that I'm praying doesn't kill me this app cycle

WHAT?? 200 new seats??? This better be wrong. Even if they do add 200 new seats in a year, there is no way they have enough spots for rotations for all those students so a lot of people will be getting screwed.

Dude story of my life. My MCAT score is very meh and it's the one hurdle that I'm praying doesn't kill me this app cycle[/QUOTE]

After months of laboring with BR/FL's, my mcat score was ruined by verbal :mad:

WHAT?? 200 new seats??? This better be wrong. Even if they do add 200 new seats in a year, there is no way they have enough spots for rotations for all those students so a lot of people will be getting screwed.

I think they're adding 200 new seats because they're taking people for the new campus in Middletown

I think they're adding 200 new seats because they're taking people for the new campus in Middletown

No. See below.

Um, do you know how big central park is? Saying you are 4 streets away from central park is not saying much, when it spans like 51 blocks long and 3 avenues wide.

There is no way tourocom NY is adding 200 seats in 1 year. That is just an absurd amount. Unless you're talking about the middletown branch, which is only 125 or 135 seats, not really the same since it's a completely different location with completely different faculty. So no, competition wont be less.

Does anyone really think Touro can fill a class with all >3.4 and >10 BS applicants? They are going to have to start making exceptions at some point.

Does anyone really think Touro can fill a class with all >3.4 and >10 BS applicants? They are going to have to start making exceptions at some point.

Anyone with a 3.5 and a balanced 30 stands a good chance at getting into an MD school and an excellent chance at getting into a well-established DO school.

I'm sure they'll change their tune before the end of the cycle, but they're not getting a secondary fee from me.

Guys chill. Don't be immature and start judging a school. Every school has their own requirements. There are plenty of people with unbalanced MCAT scores of 29-30 that won't be admitted to MD so don't act like its the easiest thing in the world to just apply MD with a 30. Plenty of people who apply MD even with a 3.5 or above get rejected from all schools and this happens every cycle. Touro will have no problems filling their seats.

Also keep in mind there are people who choose their medical school based off more than just it being well-established. Maybe location perhaps? Everyone has their preferences. Lets be honest, we are applying DO here so the last thing we should be judging is establishments and reputations or it will just be feeding back to the MD vs DO mentality for reputations.

I think they can this year since they only have 100 seats open to AACOMAS applicants. They do a good job locking in good applicants with their hefty deposits. They do compromise in the verbal section. I was waitlisted with a 10 and 3.4+ so they aren't playing around.

They can and they will. Touro-NY is seeing the biggest boost in applicants over other schools it seems..I assume because of its location. Goro can help me out with this one. Touro is going to need strong students if it is going to try to get any rotation spots in manhattan. Right now manhattan is dominated by columbia, nyu, einstein, cornell, mt. sinai, suny downstate, and (because of a money deal) SGU.

I said it before and will say it again..this school will eventually become a "top" DO school just because of its location. All it needs is a couple of good spots in manhattan and it will be good to go. It is still a brand new school so we shall see how quickly things move.

They can and they will. Touro-NY is seeing the biggest boost in applicants over other schools it seems..I assume because of its location. Goro can help me out with this one. Touro is going to need strong students if it is going to try to get any rotation spots in manhattan. Right now manhattan is dominated by columbia, nyu, einstein, cornell, mt. sinai, suny downstate, and (because of a money deal) SGU.

I said it before and will say it again..this school will eventually become a "top" DO school just because of its location. All it needs is a couple of good spots in manhattan and it will be good to go. It is still a brand new school so we shall see how quickly things move.

Sucks for the NY students

I'm guessing that it would be. It would be a new school and if it does open up it would open up mid cycle and the middle to bottom applicants would be scrambling to apply

Cool, so then are all of you guys whining about what one person posted on SDN withdrawing your applications?

Puck yes. This is like the obese girl at the club demanding to go home with the best looking guy there and won't settle for any of the other good looking guys. She also doesn't know that the good looking guys weren't even paying attention to her until she blurted this bs out.

So profound.

i wish i knew earlier that they want $200 for a secondary.