Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you make a new application? I applied to TUCOM but am unable to make a new app for NY

Members don't see this ad.

How do you make a new application? I applied to TUCOM but am unable to make a new app for NY
I just created a new account using the same email address, it gets a little confusing, and it will give you a duplicate account warning. Just continue on your merry way making the new account

Last edited:
Received the secondary. Don't think I'm going to return it though. The cost of attendance is just too high for these NY schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was really confused while filling it out. No essay? ITS A TRAP

they said an email will follow with instructions, should I wait?

just got secondary. does that mean high chances of II? Man $200 for secondary is a little too much

The only thing I could think of when you said this was:
5270931+_e05b0fdcfbae3ee5b8cbbdac2333a95d.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received. Won't be submitting due to exorbitant fee. Good luck to all of you that are shooting for Touro-NY! Wish you the best.

Okay I'm confused because there is conflicting information in this thread. In the first page of this thread, someone in June posted that they went to a open house and found out that though secondaries are sent to everyone with a minimum 24 MCAT score and 3.0 GPA, IIs are not sent to people with 24-28 MCAT scores until late March (if even then). Apparently an admissions staff member stated this tidbit. Looks like TOURO COM NY is following the same policy as AZCOM with regards to their applicants with subpar MCAT scores.

So contrary to what a lot of posters stated later on in the thread, receiving a secondary doesn't mean that you have a high chance of receiving a II. You also need to have a MCAT score above 28. Think long and hard before spending that $200.

No, the 24 MCAT and the 3.0 GPA are the MINIMUM requirements needed in order to be considered for a secondary. Having this does not mean that you automatically receive one. There is a huge correlation between secondary invite and II. Heard it straight from a few current students. Hope this helps.

I just got a follow-up e-mail that contains a secured PDF with a supplemental essay to be filled out and returned along with the technical standards signed and dated.

Reactions: 1 users
No, the 24 MCAT and the 3.0 GPA are the MINIMUM requirements needed in order to be considered for a secondary. Having this does not mean that you automatically receive one. There is a huge correlation between secondary invite and II. Heard it straight from a few current students. Hope this helps.

Welp, perhaps I will complete the secondary now!

I just got a follow-up e-mail that contains a secured PDF with a supplemental essay to be filled out and returned along with the technical standards signed and dated.
how do i open that pdf, it wont work ahh

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot see the supplemental materials document either.

Does anyone know why when I click the Middletown campus, I have no link for "supplemental questions" or "health sciences and professionals" ? Is it because we have to complete the emailed PDF (which I can't access)?

So did they actually prescreen this year? Getting conflicting thoughts from this thread alone - and that people who were only verified with primaries submitted last week getting secondaries...seems like they may not be prescreening as hard as they did last year.

Just trying to grasp if the past year, significance of getting a secondary meant good chances of ii, or if its blasted out to everyone above the cut-offs.

how do i open that pdf, it wont work ahh

I had the same issue. You need to downloaded the most recent version of Adobe Reader in order to view the document.

I cannot see the supplemental materials document either.

Does anyone know why when I click the Middletown campus, I have no link for "supplemental questions" or "health sciences and professionals" ? Is it because we have to complete the emailed PDF (which I can't access)?

Using the internet browser's PDF viewer or anything less than Adobe Reader did not work for me. Only after opening it with Adobe Reader did it work! https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Also, I haven't received the follow up email containing the supplemental PDFs. How long of a gap was there between the first email inviting to fill out the online secondary application, and the follow up?

Taken from the secondary:
  • Credit Hours Attemped to Date
    The field format for this question needs to be zz#.#.
  • Cumulative GPA to Date
    The field format for this question needs to be zz#.##.
Does anyone know what the heck this means?

Also, I haven't received the follow up email containing the supplemental PDFs. How long of a gap was there between the first email inviting to fill out the online secondary application, and the follow up?
I have already turned in the secondary but also haven't received the essay question pdf form

Depending on your mcat score are you better off putting Middletown as your top choice?

I have already turned in the secondary but also haven't received the essay question pdf form

In my case, it took a few hours after submitting the online application to receive the email with the supplementary materials. I would just be patient because you might have just submitted too late in the day and will get the email after the weekend. Here's the prompt if you want to work on it. There was no character or word limit, but it should be around a page long.

Please discuss how your background, experience, or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro COM's mission, goals, or objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared your for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Ok, I am extremely confused. In the second email they sent out to me, it says this:

Campus Specific Questions
This section will not appear until you select TOURO UNIVERSITY NEW YORK in the ACADEMIC PLAN section above. The College of Osteopathic Medicine requires additional questions, which are not included in the basic system application, and that each applicant to the college reviews the Technical Standards Certification. Links to both documents will be provided to you when you are invited to fill out a secondary application.

 Download the questions, draft your responses, save the document to your computer, then upload
the document using the appropriate link. Be certain to include the question with each response.

***Does anyone actually see these additional questions in the secondary app online??? All I see is the one question that they emailed to us in the second email!?!? What do you guys think!!!

How long of a gap was there between the first email inviting to fill out the online secondary application, and the follow up?
About 5ish hours

Taken from the secondary:
  • Credit Hours Attemped to Date
    The field format for this question needs to be zz#.#.
  • Cumulative GPA to Date
    The field format for this question needs to be zz#.##.
Does anyone know what the heck this means?
Meaning like 30.0 credits and 3.50 or something like that. Ignore the zzs.

Ok, I am extremely confused. In the second email they sent out to me, it says this:

This section will not appear until you select TOURO UNIVERSITY NEW YORK in the ACADEMIC PLAN section above. The College of Osteopathic Medicine requires additional questions, which are not included in the basic system application, and that each applicant to the college reviews the Technical Standards Certification. Links to both documents will be provided to you when you are invited to fill out a secondary application.

 Download the questions, draft your responses, save the document to your computer, then upload
the document using the appropriate link. Be certain to include the question with each response.

***Does anyone actually see these additional questions in the secondary app online??? All I see is the one question that they emailed to us in the second email!?!? What do you guys think!!!

About 5ish hours

That's odd. In your online application, what school designation did you choose? I chose "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine" and then it gave me the option between Harlem and Middletown. Is that also what you did? Perhaps you accidentally chose the wrong program. This is what my follow-up email looked like:

Thank you for your interest in the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-New York!

Attached to this email you will find the following:

1. The supplemental materials PDF

2. Supplemental Application Instructions

3. The Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Technical Standards

In order for your application package to be considered complete and ready for interview consideration, you must send back the supplemental materials packet electronically.

Once you have completed your packet, please send your materials to [email protected] with the following subject:

AAACOMAS ID (Last Name), (First Name) - Supplemental Materials Packet

Example: 1111111-2015 Doe, Jane- Supplemental Materials Packet

Once your supplemental application, supplemental materials packet, and Letters of Recommendation have been received, you will receive a notification from the Office of Admissions.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call (212)851-1199 x2588 (Harlem) or (845) 648-1111 (Middletown) or e-mail[email protected].

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

TouroCOM-New York

That's odd. In your online application, what school designation did you choose? I chose "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine" and then it gave me the option between Harlem and Middletown. Is that also what you did? Perhaps you accidentally chose the wrong program. This is what my follow-up email looked like:

Thank you for your interest in the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-New York!

Attached to this email you will find the following:

1. The supplemental materials PDF

2. Supplemental Application Instructions

3. The Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Technical Standards

In order for your application package to be considered complete and ready for interview consideration, you must send back the supplemental materials packet electronically.

Once you have completed your packet, please send your materials to [email protected] with the following subject:

AAACOMAS ID (Last Name), (First Name) - Supplemental Materials Packet

Example: 1111111-2015 Doe, Jane- Supplemental Materials Packet

Once your supplemental application, supplemental materials packet, and Letters of Recommendation have been received, you will receive a notification from the Office of Admissions.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call (212)851-1199 x2588 (Harlem) or (845) 648-1111 (Middletown) or e-mail[email protected].

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

TouroCOM-New York

Yup, I got that email. But look at the Tourocom NY supplemental application instructions. Under 'Campus Specific Questions' and it says "The College of Osteopathic Medicine requires additional questions, which are not included in the basic system application, and that each applicant to the college reviews the Technical Standards Certification. Links to both documents will be provided to you when you are invited to fill out a secondary application.

the document using the appropriate link. Be certain to include the question with each response."

Did this come up for you while writing your app???

Did you all electronically sign the technical standards form or print out, sign, and re upload them?

Did you all electronically sign the technical standards form or print out, sign, and re upload them?

do we actually have to sign that or can we just view it like it says

About 5ish hours

LOL.

The second email came EXACTLY 5 hours after, on the minute. That was some voodoo stuff there gc7777

NO signature needed. Contacted them about it

So what's the story. ... secondary mean high shot at ii?

So what's the story. ... secondary mean high shot at ii?
Not sure, pretty positive they like higher MCAT scores. I just submitted the secondary and I have a 31, 3.64cGPa and 3.7sGPA. I'm hoping I get some love from TOURO NY. I'm right across the GW bridge so the location is prefect for me and I really like the school. Fingers Crossed for all of us. Good Luck!

Not sure, pretty positive they like higher MCAT scores. I just submitted the secondary and I have a 31, 3.64cGPa and 3.7sGPA. I'm hoping I get some love from TOURO NY. I'm right across the GW bridge so the location is prefect for me and I really like the school. Fingers Crossed for all of us. Good Luck!

Did the 'Campus Specific Questions' come up for you?

So does anything need to be mailed in via snail mail?

Yup, I got that email. But look at the Tourocom NY supplemental application instructions. Under 'Campus Specific Questions' and it says "The College of Osteopathic Medicine requires additional questions, which are not included in the basic system application, and that each applicant to the college reviews the Technical Standards Certification. Links to both documents will be provided to you when you are invited to fill out a secondary application.

the document using the appropriate link. Be certain to include the question with each response."

Did this come up for you while writing your app???

Yeah, but I think it might just be outdated. That same page also instructs to pick "Touro University New York" in the academic plan but that option wasn't even there, we had to choose "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine". Also, under the paperwork section in the application there was nothing about the DO program in the Touro New York section. I think the only paperwork we should have to worry about is the paperwork that was sent to us.

I just received another email with separate instructions including a ToucoCOM essay by email too. Looks like the essay writing is back on!

Last edited:
So I'm going to fill out my Touro NY secondary, and I follow the link in their email. It brings me to the page I used for my Touro CA secondary. I dont see any option to fill out another secondary for NY. Can anyone assist here?

So I'm going to fill out my Touro NY secondary, and I follow the link in their email. It brings me to the page I used for my Touro CA secondary. I dont see any option to fill out another secondary for NY. Can anyone assist here?
create a new account with the same email and ignore the duplication warning. Or create a new account with a different email (what I did)

My essay prompts won't open. What are they for Harlem?

Anyone else submit everything including the essay last night? :D

this secondary is incredibly annoying =___= nothing makes me want to close a secondary app than this kind of ****

long confusing secondary, long difficult essay, $200 application fee, $2000 deposit fee......they really make it easy for us, don't they? ;)

Just submitted the secondary but marked that I would be sending a check instead of paying with a credit card. Anyone know the address I need to send it to and who to make it out to?

Do I first need to submit the secondary to receive the essay questions? I am confused

Just submitted the secondary but marked that I would be sending a check instead of paying with a credit card. Anyone know the address I need to send it to and who to make it out to?
From the supplemental application instructions sent out via email:
"IMPORTANT: Do not select the option to mail in a check for your application fee. Touro University New York requires that all application fees be paid via credit card through the online application. Mailed checks will not be processed. "

I received an email with three documents attached. 1. The supplemental instructions 2. Some document that says please wait... PDF 3. Technical standard. I am just waiting to get my fee waived to submit the secondary and I don't see any essay questions :/
I had the same problem. You have to open the 'Please wait...' file directly with Adobe or set Adobe as your default document viewer prior to opening the file.

Where do I attached the pdfs (essay + tech standards)? I don't see anywhere to do this..

Where do I attached the pdfs (essay + tech standards)? I don't see anywhere to do this..
You email it to them with specific directions for the subject of the email. O can't remember of the top of my head but it's in the directions