Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't looked into this at Touro NV, but both PCOM and LMU-DCOM are types of lottery systems (each student ranks the sites-or the schedule wanted in the case of PCOM, and then lottery). I'm not a huge fan of this.....with a family that includes two kids in elementary school, I'd like to move them as little as possible and be able to be at rotations close to home so I can maximize my time with them! I'm a bit nervous how rotations will end up panning out for me!

No lotto system here!

Members don't see this ad.

No lotto system here!
Doesn't TUN have you "declare" your core rotation site with your acceptance (assuming the one you want isn't full yet)?! Seriously, that would be a dream! Now if only I could get an ii.

Does TUNCOM call you if you're accepted? or do they just email you

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed since 11/11 heard back? I'm on pins and needles waiting!

I called last week and they said those that interviewed on the 18th should hear back by this Thursday, so you are probably the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who interviewed since 11/11 heard back? I'm on pins and needles waiting!

What's the average wait time? 3-4 weeks? There was thanksgiving break during your wait too.

I interviewed 12/3, they said we may hear back before Christmas break. That would be so ideal ^___^

I called last week and they said those that interviewed on the 18th should hear back by this Thursday, so you are probably the same.
I called this morning and was told I would hear no later than 0900 this Thursday.

accepted... woo hoo!!! interview 11.18 :soexcited: pretty excited... now gotta focus on my damn finals... good luck to everyone else...

Reactions: 1 users
accepted! I would say there's a pretty good chance I'll see most of you next year!

Last edited:
I'm a DPT student at TUN and I will say at first I was bothered by the facilities but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter because you are there for an education and not to sit in a cool chair. However, with that being said, they could improve the chairs... My recommendation to anyone who comes to TUN is to take advantage of the resources in the city. For me, that includes studying at UNLV which is only located 15 minutes away from TUN. They have an amazing library with study rooms, quiet areas, coffee shop, etc.

LH1 has nice chairs now....plus the leather couches?

I just got accepted! Class of 2018, here I come!!! :D :D

JonnyQuiznos, can you go into how students are assigned clerkships in years 3/4? You're saying there's NO lotto system and I can have my pick at any rotation site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh just got my acceptance email, interviewed on 12/3! I thought I would be hearing back much later but it's a pleasant surprise to know much sooner than later. It is going to be such a difficult decision choosing between this school and Western-COMP :/

ahh Just got accepted today a few hours ago. Interviewed early November

Also accepted, now I just decide between here and NSU and I am done with the whole crazy business.

ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!! I could not be happier. Now time to make some tough decisions.

Accepted! I thought for sure I was getting rejected after I saw the acceptances last night and hadn't heard anything. I will definitely be going here. Very excited.

Woot Woot! I found out I was accepted today. Now to decide between here and WesternU.

Ahhh just got my acceptance email, interviewed on 12/3! I thought I would be hearing back much later but it's a pleasant surprise to know much sooner than later. It is going to be such a difficult decision choosing between this school and Western-COMP :/

I also was excepted to Touro and Western and am having a hard time deciding. What are your thoughts about both of these schools?

I also was excepted to Touro and Western and am having a hard time deciding. What are your thoughts about both of these schools?

My honest opinion is that I think I would learn best at Touro NV during the four years of medical school, but Western will provide me the best opportunity during post grad for residency and more of n opportunity to practice in California. I am 95% sure I am going to choose Western but it took me a long time to decide and really mull it over. I actually have a thread for Western vs Touro NV and you should check it out to hear my input as well as a few other people's. Good luck on your decision!

Do any of you guys know roughly how full the class is at this point? I'm interviewing January 13th. I have a couple of other acceptances but I am very interested in this school based on what I've heard.

Wow. Excited and nervous. I just received an interview invite. First yet. I was really worried I would not get any. Complete 10/25

Anyone else still waiting to get the confirmation email that 2 received?? Taking too long!

you were at my interview! you should choose touro!

LH1 has nice chairs now....plus the leather couches?
These "nicer" chairs haven't made their way to the PT classrooms yet... Touro is in the process of putting in new flooring. It looks nice. Maybe they will even paint the walls....

I just got off wait list and now I am accepted. :) I got a big dilemma though now I have to choose between here and ACOM and it's killing me inside, though I will send both schools deposit.

After many weeks of consideration, I've decided that I'll put down my deposit here as soon as I get the letter in the mail. Where my future classmates at?

Anyone still waiting to get the complete email?!?

'lo all. Interview 2 days ago.

Thoughts on school: Awesome faculty and staff. Current students were very positive about almost all aspects despite being in finals. 1 drawback they mentioned was no robot simulations(Nursing gets them though?). Weird building, but it seemed like they have enough room for everything, and should be expanding still.
Interview: Felt like it whizzed by. 20 minute cap and used them all. Super relaxed and nice interviewers(1 male 1 female, if anyone cares). Not feeling too overly positive on my potential decision however, not sure why. Just doesn't feel like I "killed it." We're supposed to get results sometime in the 1st half of Jan.

Good luck to my group and the rest

'lo all. Interview 2 days ago.

Thoughts on school: Awesome faculty and staff. Current students were very positive about almost all aspects despite being in finals. 1 drawback they mentioned was no robot simulations(Nursing gets them though?). Weird building, but it seemed like they have enough room for everything, and should be expanding still.
Interview: Felt like it whizzed by. 20 minute cap and used them all. Super relaxed and nice interviewers(1 male 1 female, if anyone cares). Not feeling too overly positive on my potential decision however, not sure why. Just doesn't feel like I "killed it." We're supposed to get results sometime in the 1st half of Jan.

Good luck to my group and the rest

The building felt oddly endearing. I felt like it was a pretty solid school and the curriculum was pretty pleasant ( no attendance required). And yah, the interview was short and thus pretty directed, so despite it going fast I felt like I was able to say enough good things about myself. I also didn't feel the interviewers being condescending and I even felt like they treated me pretty respectfully.

After many weeks of consideration, I've decided that I'll put down my deposit here as soon as I get the letter in the mail. Where my future classmates at?
Here! :)

Ahh are you going for sure to touro?! And were you in the morning session?!

yea i was in the morning. id say very very likely, 90-95% unless i get ii from some other school's in the coming week or hear back from wl

I just got off wait list and now I am accepted. :) I got a big dilemma though now I have to choose between here and ACOM and it's killing me inside, though I will send both schools deposit.

They pulled off WL already? Interesting.. it sounded like anyone on it would have to wait till May or so. Was yours a special circumstance? Please share details if you want!

They pulled off WL already? Interesting.. it sounded like anyone on it would have to wait till May or so. Was yours a special circumstance? Please share details if you want!

That's what I thought also until they called me on Thursday night telling me they sent me an email of my updated status. I interviewed on Oct 9th but even Amber told me if you get waitlisted your gonna have to wait till May for an update. I had no special circumstance at all but damn it feels good to be a gangsta :). Aside though I'm in a pickle between choosing this school or ACOM.

Can someone discuss the clinical partnerships a bit more? Which hospitals and how is it determined where people rotate?

Valley Medical center is our main teaching hospital. We do also rotate at nearby hospitals including UMC, St Rose Hospitals and so on depend on what rotation you are on. You the student decide what kind of rotation or preceptor you want. You just need to file your request to Clinical education office and usually they can match it for you (unless for easy ones or popular preceptors....) Hope that helps.

Do any of you guys know roughly how full the class is at this point? I'm interviewing January 13th. I have a couple of other acceptances but I am very interested in this school based on what I've heard.
I am curious about this as well.

Valley Medical center is our main teaching hospital. We do also rotate at nearby hospitals including UMC, St Rose Hospitals and so on depend on what rotation you are on. You the student decide what kind of rotation or preceptor you want. You just need to file your request to Clinical education office and usually they can match it for you (unless for easy ones or popular preceptors....) Hope that helps.

that's very good. I'm glad students do rotate at UMC as well, that's huge

Has anyone received their letter yet detailing how to pay the deposit? I have my heart set on this school and am terrified of missing the deadline.... especially around the holidays... That would stink.

Unsure if I will be attending, but I was pulled off the waitlist this morning too.

Accepted (off WL), excited and ready to move to LV! Is there a facebook group up??

My first choice, so this ends my cycle. Good luck to others!