Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 more days for us 10/26 interviewees!!
I'm nervous :( hopefully they just give us all acceptances for waiting through all this haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In a bit of a pickle here and was wondering if someone could shed some advice. Currently have a deposit down here at TUNCOM and have a few days to decide on whether or not to put a deposit down at Touro-Cali. I feel that my first two years at either place would be a wash. What concerns me the most is the quality of the rotations 3rd year. Can anyone knowledgeable regarding 3rd year clerkships PM me? Or discuss them on this thread? I recognize you may not be in a position to compare one school to the next, but I'll take any information you may have.

Also... thoughts on living in Henderson? Hate it? Love it? Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks

and thank you to the students who have already answered some of my questions via PM!

Members don't see this ad :)
In a bit of a pickle here and was wondering if someone could shed some advice. Currently have a deposit down here at TUNCOM and have a few days to decide on whether or not to put a deposit down at Touro-Cali. I feel that my first two years at either place would be a wash. What concerns me the most is the quality of the rotations 3rd year. Can anyone knowledgeable regarding 3rd year clerkships PM me? Or discuss them on this thread? I recognize you may not be in a position to compare one school to the next, but I'll take any information you may have.

Also... thoughts on living in Henderson? Hate it? Love it? Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks

and thank you to the students who have already answered some of my questions via PM!

TUNCOM is supposed to be great rotations-wise because they have a monopoly on souther Nevada sites with no other schools competing. At least that's the vibe I got.

Reactions: 1 user
TUNCOM is supposed to be great rotations-wise because they have a monopoly on souther Nevada sites with no other schools competing. At least that's the vibe I got.

Right. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the clerkships are likely to be ward-based in hospitals or if the majority of them are with preceptors in a clinic. Would prefer to do as much of my clerkship in a hospital if possible!

Just got the decision email. Interviewed 11/02. I guess they are really keeping up the work as promised.

Accepted
from NY with a sub 3.0 cumulative
Anythings possible I guess lol

Best of luck to you all

Last edited:
Accepted! Absolutely loved this school when I interviewed here but will be withdrawing my spot. Good luck to everybody the rest of the cycle!

Last edited:
Ah, my first ACCEPTANCE! This was my third interview...my previous two resulted in waitlist and rejection so I was super worried.

This was the toughest interview I had and didn't feel great after, but I can stop worrying now :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! I really like what the school has to offer. Time to make a tough decision before those December deposits are due...

Accepted too!! Super excited! I hope the rest of you still waiting to hear get some good news!

Accepted today (interviewed 11/2)! Hope you all hear some good news!

Accepted! Now trying to decide between Touro CA, NV, and KCUMB.....

I'm in the similar situation deciding between touro ca/nv!

I have a feeling this school doesn't give out post-interview rejections.

Accepted!

Any current DO student at TUNCOM that is available to answer some questions that I have, can you PM me.

Thanks!

Accepted on Dec 2nd but I'll be withdrawing. Hope someone from waitlist gets it.

Did anyone else have trouble with letters of recommendations? I have all of my letters through AACOMAS, but touro nevada said they are missing.

I've been trying to call all day to set up an interview but they haven't answered. Sooooo frustrating.

When were you placed under review? And how long did it take for you to get an II?
I was complete 10/9 and got a few emails saying that is was under review and to expect 6-8 weeks. I got a "final stages" email on 12/7 and then the II yesterday evening.

Seems like the email order is: "Hello from Touro College", " TUN: Your application is in review", and then a "final stages" email to an II.
I haven't gotten to the "final stages" email yet but have been complete since 10/9 as well.

Yeah I got an II two weeks after the final stages email

Any current students want to share their thoughts about the school? Why would you choose Touro over other schools, how is living there? Any unique programs, researches? pm me please

I did my research, I like the school and the location, but I couldn't find anything special that makes it different from other DO schools. Thank you in advance.

Seems like the email order is: "Hello from Touro College", " TUN: Your application is in review", and then a "final stages" email to an II.
I haven't gotten to the "final stages" email yet but have been complete since 10/9 as well.
Haven't gotten the "final stages" email either. Just got the "within two months" email. Complete since 10/25 and I'm pre-ii.

Is the final stage email absolutely required to get a II? Anyone advance without one?

My timeline if it helps. I never received a final stages email...2 months between "under review" and II.

Secondary submitted: 8/5
Under Review: 8/20
II: 10/15
Interview: 10/26
Decision: 12/2

Is the final stage email absolutely required to get a II? Anyone advance without one?
+1
My timeline if it helps. I never received a final stages email...2 months between "under review" and II.

Secondary submitted: 8/5
Under Review: 8/20
II: 10/15
Interview: 10/26
Decision: 12/2
Id agree but I think you were early enough in the cycle that they didn't need to send a "final stages" email. That email basically just means, 'we're too busy/swamped so just wait another x number of weeks'.
If other applicants near the Oct-Nov complete date didn't get the final stages email then it would shed more light.

Does anyone know when II are sent out? Is there a specific day of the week that they are sent out or the adcom meets to decide on IIs?

Yesterday was 8 weeks from the "TUN: Your Application" email. Received that email 10/13. Hoping for the final stages email or the elusive II email.

Finally got my interview scheduled. Jan. 25th!

Yesterday was 8 weeks from the "TUN: Your Application" email. Received that email 10/13. Hoping for the final stages email or the elusive II email.
+1

I have a question for current students at TUNCOM or anyone that knows the answer. Thanks in advance!

The question is pertaining to the clerkships in years 3 and 4. While at the interview they mentioned multiple times that one huge advantage of the program is that there is no real competition for rotations since there are no other medical schools (yet) in the Las Vegas area. I can't find a specific list of available rotation sites, but I image there would be some pretty cool opportunities spending some time at the University Medical Center in LV (the region's only Level 1 Trauma Center). I came across a thread from a few years ago where one TUNCOM student said they were doing their Emergency Medicine rotation there and their preceptor allowed them to help with intubation and chest tube placement. Sounds like a pretty cool experience to me! After reading more about clerkships at the University Medical Center it looks like the entire list of hospital rotations is controlled by the University of Nevada School of Medicine (Reno) and to obtain these rotations you have to apply for them (and pay a fee of $150 o_O) through the University of Nevada School of Medicine. They basically treat them as "Away Clerkships." Can anyone comment on this as far as how many of the local rotations are controlled by their med school and how easy/difficult it is to obtain one of these if desired.

Last edited:
Anyone know when the waitlist is going to start moving around and people may hear back? Just got waitlisted today and am pretty bummed out.

formally declined my acceptance here today, hope it goes to one of you guys!

Just got the "Final Stages" email.

wondering if anyone could give me a word of advice: have an interview here jan 11th but can't decide to go or not. I've already been accepted at a couple of different schools on the east coast (currently living in new england area) and can't tell if I should spend the money to go. I interviewed and was accepted at TouroNY, but didn't have a great feel there, especially the good cop/bad cop style interview and was a little turned off by the school after that. I can't really find much about rotation sites and besides the fact that I've never been to Vegas and want to go, I don't know what other big draws there is. I have another interview at AT Still in Arizona on Jan 25th and am trying to decide between the two on which one to go to since I can only afford one plane ticket. If anyone has any advice on why Touro Nevada or Touro vs AT Still I would appreciate it! Thanks!

wondering if anyone could give me a word of advice: have an interview here jan 11th but can't decide to go or not. I've already been accepted at a couple of different schools on the east coast (currently living in new england area) and can't tell if I should spend the money to go. I interviewed and was accepted at TouroNY, but didn't have a great feel there, especially the good cop/bad cop style interview and was a little turned off by the school after that. I can't really find much about rotation sites and besides the fact that I've never been to Vegas and want to go, I don't know what other big draws there is. I have another interview at AT Still in Arizona on Jan 25th and am trying to decide between the two on which one to go to since I can only afford one plane ticket. If anyone has any advice on why Touro Nevada or Touro vs AT Still I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Can't say much about Arizona since I have not been. However, TUN had a very laid back vibe for me. I did have a good cop bad cop for my interview but it was over so fast I couldn't even remember it. School is just one building and kind of resemble a warehouse, but they have a gym and a lot of study/break areas. Although the school does not look very pretty, the surrounding area is wonderful!

TUN has pretty much a monopoly for rotations in Southern California which is great. Some people I talked to seem a bit concern about getting out of state residency but I have not spoken with medical students to find out if they are worried. Curriculum wise, they seem to have it down pat and the 2nd years I talked to seem confident going into boards.

They gave a really laid back vibe and it really seems what you do there depends on you. The students seemed to be very proactive!

Area is really nice and cheap! They have housing options near the school. There are so many activities you can do here especially if you like hiking!

Regardless if you go here or to Arizona for your interview, see if you can visit Vegas! It's about 4 hours drive from Arizona if you want to make a trip out of it and don't mind renting a car and driving! :)

Hey, first off, I have been to Touro-CA and TUNCOM and the 2 schools are completely different let alone a comparison between TUNCOM and TouroNY.

Your earliest interview date is on 1/11 at TUNCOM, canceling this means you have to go to the other one at Arizona (unless you withdraw from both). But going to TUNCOM interview means you can still decide to go to AT Still, whether that be parents' money or credit card.

My recommendation: go to the TUNCOM one.

Real question is which schools on the east coast and do you want to stay near the east coast or venture out to the west.
Where is your family as well? Support is very important not only throughout med school but during residency.
If you want to lone star out to the west to start anew then see advice above.
Depending on which east coast school you're accepted at, I would stay near home (assuming that's east coast area).

Edit: more info
It's also clear you're concerned about rotation sites. Most schools first two years are the same. Sorry about hearing tourony not being a good fit but you'll be getting the same education as any other school. The above posters talked about the school itself which is great to hear regarding the first two years. However rotation sites and location should be a big priority.
Do a search on touroCa rotations. They've had trouble in the past (and may have changed for the better) but this emphasized the importance of rotation sites.
Tuncom has great sites in NV area but again it points back to, do you want to stay on the east coast or move to the west?

Last edited:
Any idea how full the class is? I'm interviewing in about a month so I'm just curious as to where they are in regards to filling the class.