Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally submitted!! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

First interviews will be held in September from what I hear. They typically hold them on Mondays for the most part. The following is a guess: since Monday Sept 5th is labor day most likely they would start the first one either September 12th or 19th. Interviews will go to either May 22nd or May 29th depending on when they start the first interviews.

First interviews will be held in September from what I hear. They typically hold them on Mondays for the most part. The following is a guess: since Monday Sept 5th is labor day most likely they would start the first one either September 12th or 19th. Interviews will go to either May 22nd or May 29th depending on when they start the first interviews.
Do you know when they will starting sending out II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when they will starting sending out II?

That I have no clue. But when I interviewed two years ago I was complete with my secondary around this time and had my invite from TUN Aug 22nd for a spot on the first or second interview date. So expect something similar for first invites.

Reactions: 1 user
Just also received the "Your letters of recommendation are now under review by the Medical Admissions Committee to determine if they will meet our requirements." email-- I've never seen that before. Anyone got a "completed" app email yet?

Just also received the "Your letters of recommendation are now under review by the Medical Admissions Committee to determine if they will meet our requirements." email-- I've never seen that before. Anyone got a "completed" app email yet?

+1

+1 on letters in review. Got that email 1 day after they released their secondary and still no completed email for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just got the letters in review email as well (a few hours after submitting secondary). Sounds like they sent them all out today regardless of when you submitted your secondary over the past week or so... On another note- did anyone else notice the multiple spelling errors in that email???:smack:

I got an email that said I did not submit the correct letters. I submitted a committee letter. Did I misunderstand something? I thought one committee letter would suffice.

I got an email that said I did not submit the correct letters. I submitted a committee letter. Did I misunderstand something? I thought one committee letter would suffice.

I emailed them and this was my explanation:

"According to our website, the letter requirements are as follows:

“Submit three letters of recommendation. Two letters must be from your college science professors or one premedical/academic committee letter. One letter from a physician (D.O. or M.D.).”

Because your committee letter does not include any letters from your science professors, we cannot accept it as fulfilling the requirements. Any updated letters can be sent through AACOMAS, Interfolio, or Virtual Eval. Please alert us if any letters are uploaded."

I thought the whole OR meant that I did not need two science professors? Am I missing something?

I emailed them and this was my explanation:

"According to our website, the letter requirements are as follows:

“Submit three letters of recommendation. Two letters must be from your college science professors or one premedical/academic committee letter. One letter from a physician (D.O. or M.D.).”

Because your committee letter does not include any letters from your science professors, we cannot accept it as fulfilling the requirements. Any updated letters can be sent through AACOMAS, Interfolio, or Virtual Eval. Please alert us if any letters are uploaded."

I thought the whole OR meant that I did not need two science professors? Am I missing something?

I would give them a call, I didn't submit a committee letter but I had issues with them saying my physician letter was unacceptable and they explained to me that it was a letterhead issue explaining to me how I could fix it. They were very nice and helpful and will give you the best answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would give them a call, I didn't submit a committee letter but I had issues with them saying my physician letter was unacceptable and they explained to me that it was a letterhead issue explaining to me how I could fix it. They were very nice and helpful and will give you the best answer.

Thank you, I will give them a call!

I got an email that said they accepted all my letters and I am in the next process of review. I don't know if everyone gets this email. It may just be sent to people who received an email that they didn't meet the letter requirements initially. just thought I'd give an update.

I got an email that said they accepted all my letters and I am in the next process of review. I don't know if everyone gets this email. It may just be sent to people who received an email that they didn't meet the letter requirements initially. just thought I'd give an update.

I got an "Incomplete Letters" email initially as well. Called up admissions and asked what the issue was and found out one of the letters wasn't signed. Got it signed and resubmitted via Interfolio. Followed up with an email to admissions notifying them that I resubmitted the letter and got a "Complete and in next stages of review" email the same day!

Secondary received 08/10 Submitted 08/11. Got confirmation 08/17 that letters are under review. Does it really take 4 weeks? Has anyone been complete yet? or II?

Secondary received 08/10 Submitted 08/11. Got confirmation 08/17 that letters are under review. Does it really take 4 weeks? Has anyone been complete yet? or II?
I submitted the secondary the first day it was sent out and I have not received a complete email yet.

Touro is asking me for an additional letter from a science professor. I submitted one from my Genetics professor (also my mentor) and other from Computer Science professor which did not teach me but mentored me for my research. I am non-trad student and I do not have any contact with other science professor. What should I do? Do they accept Letter from my immediate supervisor in the lieu of science professor's letter like in other schools? Any non-trad students want to give me some advice?

Touro is asking me for an additional letter from a science professor. I submitted one from my Genetics professor (also my mentor) and other from Computer Science professor which did not teach me but mentored me for my research. I am non-trad student and I do not have any contact with other science professor. What should I do? Do they accept Letter from my immediate supervisor in the lieu of science professor's letter like in other schools? Any non-trad students want to give me some advice?
I am also nontrad, and although I can not speak directly about TUNCOM's stance on this, I have contacted schools that have different requirements than what I have letters for. These have been schools that require either a committee letter or three science letters. They have accepted the two science letters I have and an MD letter who was also a supervisor of mine. Your best bet is to contact the school directly. If you do, then they update your file in real time to show that they have agreed (or not) to your offerings.

I am also nontrad, and although I can not speak directly about TUNCOM's stance on this, I have contacted schools that have different requirements than what I have letters for. These have been schools that require either a committee letter or three science letters. They have accepted the two science letters I have and an MD letter who was also a supervisor of mine. Your best bet is to contact the school directly. If you do, then they update your file in real time to show that they have agreed (or not) to your offerings.
Ok thank you I will do that asap.

This secondary is so ridiculous! Why do we have to input all of these descriptions of our activities? This EXACT INFO is in my AACOMAS app!

For all non-trad, I just received an email that they cannot waive the letter requirement. I am missing one letter from science instructor which I asked if it can be replaced by a letter from my immediate supervisor, but they denied. I have to reach out to my old science instructors now. :( Been out of school for almost 3 years now.

For all non-trad, I just received an email that they cannot waive the letter requirement. I am missing one letter from science instructor which I asked if it can be replaced by a letter from my immediate supervisor, but they denied. I have to reach out to my old science instructors now. :( Been out of school for almost 3 years now.
Damn that sucks.

So you only got an email saying you didn't meet the requirement right?

I wonder if it's safe to assume that if you didn't get an email then you should be ok? I submitted secondary the first day.

Damn that sucks.

So you only got an email saying you didn't meet the requirement right?

I wonder if it's safe to assume that if you didn't get an email then you should be ok? I submitted secondary the first day.
No, actually I emailed them first and asked because I knew that I only had one letter from science instructor. Then they said I am missing one letter from science instructor. I submitted another one from computer science professor who did not teach me but mentored me during my research but they did not accept. :( It is just going to be delayed by another 2-3 weeks.

they said to email them to set up dates and stuff, havent gotten there yet, but when I do, i will let ya'll know!

Received an email on 8/8 saying that my letters of recommendation are now under review by the Admissions Committee to determine if they meet their requirements and that I will receive a status update. Still have not received an update from them as of today. Anyone in a similar situation?

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email on 8/8 saying that my letters of recommendation are now under review by the Admissions Committee to determine if they meet their requirements and that I will receive a status update. Still have not received an update from them as of today. Anyone in a similar situation?

+1 received that email on 8/4 and still no complete email, just a LOR are under review email.

Reactions: 1 users

Here is my timeline just so you have something to compare to.

Submitted my secondary 8/4. Received letters under review on 8/4. Received complete e mail on 8/17.

Interviewing September 12th 7:45-1PM

Reactions: 3 users
II just now. Available dates are 9/12 and 9/26 with both afternoon and morning appointments. Not trad, LM 60-65, California resident. Complete 8/11.

Reactions: 2 users
Here is my timeline just so you have something to compare to.

Submitted my secondary 8/4. Received letters under review on 8/4. Received complete e mail on 8/17.
Damn I sent in my secondary 8/3 and I received letters are under review 8/8 but still no complete email

+1+1

Does anyone have a link to a map with clinical sites?

Valley Hospital is the main hospital for rotations. They are also opening up a branch hospital 5 minutes down the road with intention of having residency and clinical rotation. It opens October 31st. The rest are clinics and some other Hospitals in the area. Just not UMC since that is a UN Reno site. Although you could do an away rotation there. Also a lot of student find rotations back in California since that is where they want to practice.

Valley Hospital is the main hospital for rotations. They are also opening up a branch hospital 5 minutes down the road with intention of having residency and clinical rotation. It opens October 31st. The rest are clinics and some other Hospitals in the area. Just not UMC since that is a UN Reno site. Although you could do an away rotation there. Also a lot of student find rotations back in California since that is where they want to practice.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Do you have any other insight to share with us? Positives/negatives about the school or area? Anything you think it is especially important for us to know on interview day? TYIA!!!

There is a new dean at the school so the program is changing for better. He was from KCUMB-COM. He started February and is implementing a lot of changes. The DO2021 class will have all new curriculum for 1st and second year. The DO20s right now have some of the newer changes but mostly the old curriculum, however they will be under the new curriculum when they are 2nd years. It is going to system based I believe. Don't know all the details but good questions to ask. Also the new Dean is a #s guy and he wants our COMLEX scores up and better residency placement. Las Vegas sucks weather wise but lots of stuff is open 24 hours and you also have the strip to unwind after a test. The school, like I said, seems to be changing for the better and they do want you succeed. You will on your interview date have a chance to talk to 1st and 2nd year students with no staff listening in so ask your questions there and also on the tours if it is a student showing you around.

If I remember how they break down for the day: you have the first part as talks about the school why Touro, meet the Dean etc. Then you have 1/2 of the group go for interviews while the others on tours. Then you switch around. Interviews will be two faculty for I think 20 minutes. Sometimes they like to play bad cop, like why did you not take this course or that course etc, but if you have interviews in the first month it is really yours to throw. After the interview/tour you will all meet back up and the student panel will start and then they serve cheese pizza and soda/water. I was able to fly in the night before and flight out right after my interview with no issues.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh and take everyones opinion with a grain of salt since we all have our opinions and I like the school but others who attend might not. I'll try to not paint a rosy picture as best as I can.

There is a new dean at the school so the program is changing for better. He was from KCUMB-COM. He started February and is implementing a lot of changes. The DO2021 class will have all new curriculum for 1st and second year. The DO20s right now have some of the newer changes but mostly the old curriculum, however they will be under the new curriculum when they are 2nd years. It is going to system based I believe. Don't know all the details but good questions to ask. Also the new Dean is a #s guy and he wants our COMLEX scores up and better residency placement. Las Vegas sucks weather wise but lots of stuff is open 24 hours and you also have the strip to unwind after a test. The school, like I said, seems to be changing for the better and they do want you succeed. You will on your interview date have a chance to talk to 1st and 2nd year students with no staff listening in so ask your questions there and also on the tours if it is a student showing you around.

If I remember how they break down for the day: you have the first part as talks about the school why Touro, meet the Dean etc. Then you have 1/2 of the group go for interviews while the others on tours. Then you switch around. Interviews will be two faculty for I think 20 minutes. Sometimes they like to play bad cop, like why did you not take this course or that course etc, but if you have interviews in the first month it is really yours to throw. After the interview/tour you will all meet back up and the student panel will start and then they serve cheese pizza and soda/water. I was able to fly in the night before and flight out right after my interview with no issues.

I'm glad you said this. I mentioned I liked the area it was in exactly for times that we may not have to study (post-exam or something) and wasn't sure if it would be taken as irresponsible or not.

The rundown of the interview style is helpful as well. Thank you.