TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone have to pay a deposit to secure their spot yet? I haven't heard of any deposit yet, and I'm beginning to get worried...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
Did anyone get their financial aid package from Touro for the Masters Program? I sent my information in a while back and got an email showing my estimated award letter but i havent got the actual award letter yet. Is anyone else in this situation?
Thanks
We're all in the process of getting it. I received mine yesterday through email. I think it's being done alphabetically

Members don't see this ad :)
I am super interested in this program, and I was wonder does anyone know when the Fall 2013 applications come out???

Hey everyone,
I'm a bit confused about this program. I am applying to the DO program this year but I am really worried and looking into this program. If I start in Summer 2013, would you start in the DO program in Fall 2014?

Hey everyone,
I'm a bit confused about this program. I am applying to the DO program this year but I am really worried and looking into this program. If I start in Summer 2013, would you start in the DO program in Fall 2014?

---Wondering the same!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

---Wondering the same!

Yes, I think so, from reading past posts, it seems that the masters would be like an extra year before you matriculate into medical school, with 3.5 gpa and passing the comprehensive.

So if enrolled fall 2013 for the program, start DO school fall 2014.

However, also from reading past posts, it seems that if you do particularly well, and provided some of the DO students in fall 2013 class don't cut it, then you may be pulled straight into the first year of med school.

These are all conjectures from reading past posts... any current masters student care to confirm?

Its alive!!!! Its alive! This thread is alive!! Lol...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

So i am a current master's student at Touro. The program is one year long and you are in class with the DO students. You will take most of the classes with them, they are in an additional 3 classes. All of my friends are first years pretty much.
If you maintain a 3.5 and pass the comprehensive test you are automatically into the program. but, yes, if the first years drop out/fail out they will pull up from the master's program. I am hoping to be in that boat this year. However, going on what normally happens, you will enter into the DO class the following fall semester.

any questions feel free to PM me

So i am a current master's student at Touro. The program is one year long and you are in class with the DO students. You will take most of the classes with them, they are in an additional 3 classes. All of my friends are first years pretty much.
If you maintain a 3.5 and pass the comprehensive test you are automatically into the program. but, yes, if the first years drop out/fail out they will pull up from the master's program. I am hoping to be in that boat this year. However, going on what normally happens, you will enter into the DO class the following fall semester.

I sure will, cheers!

Hello!

I have read through this thread pretty closely because I am applying for D.O. school for fall 2013 here, but considering their masters program if I don't get in. A few questions...

1. When is the optimal time to apply (and also depending on hearing back about D.O. acceptance)? I know it's rolling admissions.
2. Can you apply even if you don't get an interview for their D.O. school?
3. If you do interview for D.O. program, can that interview replace the masters program interview?
4. Does anyone know average stats for incoming class for masters program? I saw previous posts about people being rejected because they thought they were overqualified...?

I think that's it. Thanks for the help! If you want to see my stats, please see my mdapplicants profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. So I was in your exact situation last year. I applied to the DO program, got a secondary and never heard back haha I really did not want to take a year off between college and med school, so I called in January (this year) to inquire about the program. I spoke to the director, he asked me a lot of questions about my stats, research, why touro, etc. then the next day i had an application emailed to me and the school calling me to make sure I got the app. I was only able to fill it out and submit it in April and I found out in May that I got in (the day before I graduated college!). So yes you can apply to the program no matter what. My stats were a 3.65 cum GPA, graduated madam cum laude, and had a 25 MCAT and I got in, so I don't think they discriminate against being "overqualified". The minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 and MCAT of 19.
the class definitely has a mix of people in it, some more prepared than others, in my opinion. Feel free to pm with any more questions.

Hi there. So I was in your exact situation last year. I applied to the DO program, got a secondary and never heard back haha I really did not want to take a year off between college and med school, so I called in January (this year) to inquire about the program. I spoke to the director, he asked me a lot of questions about my stats, research, why touro, etc. then the next day i had an application emailed to me and the school calling me to make sure I got the app. I was only able to fill it out and submit it in April and I found out in May that I got in (the day before I graduated college!). So yes you can apply to the program no matter what. My stats were a 3.65 cum GPA, graduated madam cum laude, and had a 25 MCAT and I got in, so I don't think they discriminate against being "overqualified". The minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 and MCAT of 19.
the class definitely has a mix of people in it, some more prepared than others, in my opinion. Feel free to pm with any more questions.
Thanks for your insight. Any other thoughts out there regarding the interview question or average stats for incoming class for the masters program? Also, how many do they accept?

Thanks for your insight! I'm also looking into this option if I don't get into a DO school this time around. Do you feel like the masters program prepares you well for the medical program? Also, since you take classes with the DO students, do you have to take these classes again when you are a medical student?

Does anyone know where I can get the application for this program for Fall 2013?

Are there any current/past students in this program that can attest to whether or not they stand by the 2.5 in any pre-req? I have a C- in orgo 2, and I was wondering if they would automatically reject me because of that.

It looks like that provision was deleted from the most recent application. They require an overall GPA of 2.9/4.0.

I was just wondering if I can have the letters of recommendation delivered via Interfolio?

It looks like that provision was deleted from the most recent application. They require an overall GPA of 2.9/4.0.

I checked the 2013 application and it still says that you must have atleast a 2.5 on required courses.

I checked the 2013 application and it still says that you must have atleast a 2.5 on required courses.

:( that seems a bit rough since this is supposed to be a program to help people who messed up a class or two.

When I checked the application it says that you must have atleast a 2.5 on required courses. I also recall it saying a 2.9 overall.

PRE-REQUISITE REQUIREMENTS

1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university is required.
____________________________________________ ________________________
Name of Institution Date Degree Granted (or Expected)

2. At the time the application is filed, applicants should
a. possess an undergraduate science grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
b. possess an overall grade point average of at least 2.9 on a 4.0 point scale.

3. Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence (generally 8 semester hours) with no grade below 2.5 on an 4.0 point scale in each of the following subjects:

 English (6 Semester hrs.)
 Behavioral Sciences (6 Semester hrs.)
 One year course of Biology w/lab
 One year course of General Chemistry w/lab
 One year course of Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry w/lab
 One year course of Physics w/lab
 One year of non-remedial mathematics

This is what I copied from the application.

Does anyone have a contact name or number where I can ask about the 2.5 requirement? Also, how did you get the actual application?

Does anyone have a contact name or number where I can ask about the 2.5 requirement? Also, how did you get the actual application?

Good luck getting in contact with anyone, I have called and left messages on both numbers on the application in addition to emailing them to no response...:mad:

I got a hold of someone last week I called the number they have in previous posts for lisette mercado, I also spoke with her two months ago regarding the program , i spoke to the director of the program also this past Friday Dr. Prancan he said they're looking for students with mostly A's and B' s keep trying with the calling, maybe the time you call makes a difference? I called at 10 am ... Good luck guys!

I got a hold of someone last week I called the number they have in previous posts for lisette mercado, I also spoke with her two months ago regarding the program , i spoke to the director of the program also this past Friday Dr. Prancan he said they're looking for students with mostly A's and B' s keep trying with the calling, maybe the time you call makes a difference? I called at 10 am ... Good luck guys!

Good to know, thank you!

Ok so I've tried emailing Lisette Mercado twice to get an application and haven't heard back yet. Is this how everyone else got their application as well, or can I find it elsewhere?

Yes.. Have you gotten in touch with her? I've been able to speak with her by phone and email recently.. Hope you have heard back..

hey guys,
just checking up and seeing if anyone has any questions. I am a current master's student at touro, and quite hopeful that i will be a first year next year, if you're concerned about ANYTHING at all, please do not hesitate to ask (preferably message me :) )

When do you think we'll hear back with decisions? I got an email that my application was complete on the 14th of January. I tried calling today, and emailed, again, no response, not sure if this is a sign on how helpful the school's faculty and staff will be. I don't know how you guys get lucky getting through to them.

When do you think we'll hear back with decisions? I got an email that my application was complete on the 14th of January. I tried calling today, and emailed, again, no response, not sure if this is a sign on how helpful the school's faculty and staff will be. I don't know how you guys get lucky getting through to them.

I spoke with lisette last week she said that its still the beginning of the application process and that we will be notified accordingly not to be alarmed... This was through email... It may take a while but I'm sure they'll eventually respond to your emails

we were on break until the 22nd. when i applied i found out like 2-3 weeks after they received my app.

Hey lschir01, when would you say you knew of your acceptance? Also I see your status is a medical student, congrats! How was the comprehensive exam? Comparable to the MCAT?

my status was an accident haha. i am currently in the master's program. so i had inquired about the app in january of 2012. Dr Prancan and I spoke on the phone and he had the app sent to me. I didn't get to complete it until April (I was in my senior year of college working on research with a few professors). I submit it towards the end of April and I found out on May 18 (day before i graduated college....woot!) From what I have heard, the comp is very doable. It's pass/fail. They have already given us study material even though the exam isn't until after spring break. I am hoping my success thus far in the program will show in the comp exam! any other questions, feel free to PM me, i'm more likely to see it.

They require 6 hr of behavioral sciences? I'm guessing this means Psych classes? Dang

Hey Ischir01, has anyone from your class been pulled up into the med school? I've heard that this was done in past years.

3 people were pulled up this year, an additional 2 were pulled up as well, but they are there because 2 students in the DO program are on academic probation. if those 2 students can get their grades up, the 2 from the master's program will return to being first years next year, rather than 2nd years. does that make any sense? lol

I called Lissette today. It looks like they will start reviewing applications tomorrow with a maximum one month turn around time.

Where is the number for Dr. Prancan? I can't seem to find it and I noticed that people can get a hold of him. Does anyone know his number???????

I called Lissette today. It looks like they will start reviewing applications tomorrow with a maximum one month turn around time.

What number are you reaching her at? I've been trying for months! Is the key to leave a message? And she'll call back? Well in any case, I guess we'll hear by the end of the month.

Lissette Mercado
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
Master of Interdisciplinary Science Program Coordinator
Administrative Assistant
OMM Department/ /Basic Bio-Medical Sciences
230 West 125th Street, Fourth Floor Suite
New York, NY 10027
Phone (646) 981-4602
Fax (212) 678-1782 Attn:(Lissette Mercado)
Email [email protected]