Trouble with DMU prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted872555

hey guys!

I wanted some advice on how to tackle the DMU prompt: Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the U.S. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?

I have DO shadowing, but he's an anesthesiologist, so I never saw him doing anything OMM related. Also, I have no exposure to rural practice.

Not entirely sure how to go about this prompt. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I only worked in the ED, so no primary care exp. I mentioned working with several DO's and how my experience with them changed my view of medicine and made me aware of osteopathy. Also said something about only seeing OMM performed a couple of times (briefly described them) but after some discussion with the DO physicians and research on it I am looking forward to using it in my future practice. Related it all to the school's mission. Didn't mention rural medicine.

I'm an incoming DMU student.

Reactions: 1 user
I only worked in the ED, so no primary care exp. I mentioned working with several DO's and how my experience with them changed my view of medicine and made me aware of osteopathy. Also said something about only seeing OMM performed a couple of times (briefly described them) but after some discussion with the DO physicians and research on it I am looking forward to using it in my future practice. Related it all to the school's mission. Didn't mention rural medicine.

I'm an incoming DMU student.
awesome! thanks for your input.

however, i never saw the DO i shadowed use any OMM. would it be wise to just contact the DO i shadowed and ask him about how he uses OMM, if he does?

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome! thanks for your input.

however, i never saw the DO i shadowed use any OMM. would it be wise to just contact the DO i shadowed and ask him about how he uses OMM, if he does?

Sure. You can always just say you’ve done some extensive reading on OMM and say it aligns with your beliefs and the type of physician you want to be.

DMU loves their OMM. They do an OMM showing on interview day. So be sure to understand what it is in case you are asked during your interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Sure. You can always just say you’ve done some extensive reading on OMM and say it aligns with your beliefs and the type of physician you want to be.

DMU loves their OMM. They do an OMM showing on interview day. So be sure to understand what it is in case you are asked during your interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
'preciate the help! good luck in the fall.

emphasize the "holistic" look at DOs. You can see this everywhere. In my experience, DOs also tend to physically touch patients more. Build on crap like that.

"I have never seen an anesthesiologist ask about lifestyle and stressors. When asked, the physician mentioned that it was habit from the training he received as looking at the whole person will provide the most ideal care. It was then that I knew that I needed to learn more about osteopathy....blah blah blah."

Even I am buying that crap.