Tufts MBS Program 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recycledpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any threads for those who are applying to Tufts for Fall 2011 so I figured I'd start one.

Anyone start their apps yet? I'm about to finish up my personal statement and updating my resume to upload. Hopefully I'm not too late in applying, it's one of the programs I really want to get into.

Just for reference, the stats I'm applying with are 3.16 cGPA, 3.22 sGPA, 28S MCAT, exceptional ECs, and above average LORs. And I majored in Bio at UC Irvine.

Members don't see this ad.

i just submitted my application today. goodluck!

Don't worry, man. I won't be applying until April, but this is one of my top choices. I'm waiting on my MCAT. Tell me how everything goes. Also, If anyone has any opinions:

3.35 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA
Great LOR, Really good ECs
Still Studying for MCAT but plan on taking it in March

I hope to see everyone next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, man. I won't be applying until April, but this is one of my top choices. I'm waiting on my MCAT. Tell me how everything goes. Also, If anyone has any opinions:

3.35 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA
Great LOR, Really good ECs
Still Studying for MCAT but plan on taking it in March

I hope to see everyone next year!

Oh nice man, rock that MCAT! Maybe I'll see you in Boston this fall haha :cool:

Wud up. I am applying too. Workin on my app and personal statement.

3.38 cGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 30Q
Great EC, Publication, Work Experience

Think I have a good chance? I really want to get into this one.

What other schools are you guys applying to?

Wud up. I am applying too. Workin on my app and personal statement.

3.38 cGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 30Q
Great EC, Publication, Work Experience

Think I have a good chance? I really want to get into this one.

What other schools are you guys applying to?

Yes I think you do. I'm applying to Georgetown, BU, EVMS, and RFU. You?

Bump! Anyone else applying and is finished with their apps??

My LORs are on their way and they have my DAT marked as not received but they've received everything else. I sent them a copy of my DATs thinking that they would look that over like a lot of the other SMPs and then I could send them the official one later on if they're interested... does anyone know if they do this? It's not on their FAQs and it's long distance for me to call so i'd rather ask before calling!

It's really expensive tuition on top of living so at the moment it's not my first choice as an international student but it's still a possibility (if they accept me anyways).

I'm taking my MCATs during april but should I apply right now? Is it like GT where they will review your application first and wait for the MCAT or do they wait for everything to be completed before reviewing?

Maybe a stupid question, but I cant seem to find this info... how long is the program?

If anyone is interested, I called last week to see what my status was and Tara Risi informed me I was accepted....it wasn't posted on the Decision status page though.

I'm torn between here and G-town.

Anybody else heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested, I called last week to see what my status was and Tara Risi informed me I was accepted....it wasn't posted on the Decision status page though.

I'm torn between here and G-town.

Anybody else heard back yet?

same here, i called this morning and found out i was accepted :)

can accepted people share when their applications were marked as complete? my application was marked as complete on 1/21. haven't heard anything yet. starting to freak out a little.

I was complete a while ago, 11/16 to be exact.

Also, the website is updated with decisions for those of you interested.

They give VERY short notice. Seeing as the decision was posted today, 2/9/11, they have given me about 3 weeks to decide. 3/3/11

also, the deposit is now $500....the same as Georgetown, which is a substantial increase from what I remember reading on the forums last year.

Hi guys! Just found out I was accepted to this program yesterday. I have a couple questions --

1. Does anyone have an opinion on choosing between BU and Tufts?

2. If we want to complete the program in a year, when are we supposed to apply to medical school, the summer before we start MBS? Also, when are the top 25% selected for interviews? Would that be for the class that starts in September of 2012?

Thanks for any help!!

does anyone know if it's possible to defer a SMP for a year? lol

Ya, ditto to tgirgenr's comment (#2). I was accepted to the MBS program at Tufts as well, but I'm a little fuzzy on med school applications.

Can this program be completed in a year WITH the thesis? I know there is a certificate option, but I want the master's degree.

Also, if the program is completed in a year, what month does it end in? This is a concern for me because I want to make sure that starting medical school classes won't conflict with finishing the MBS program. :confused: Thanks in advance for a response.

what gpa/mcat did you guys have to get your tufts MBS acceptances?

Got accepted yesterday!! I'm almost certain I'm going there because I like the curriculum. I'm not so excited about finding housing though. Does anyone know anything about that?

Got accepted yesterday!! I'm almost certain I'm going there because I like the curriculum. I'm not so excited about finding housing though. Does anyone know anything about that?

bump i'm also interested in learning more about housing opportunities

just hit submit on my app!

man, i hope i have a chance :scared:

anyone else apply using DAT scores?

Just out of curiosity were u accepted into tufts with your stats recycledpaper? Identical stats GPA wise and similar in all other aspects, ill be applying next round so lmk! =D

Realistically, what GPA do you have to get at Tufts in order to get into a top 50 medical school? any med school?

My GPA in undergrad was a 3.2...MCAT 29. I'm trying to decide whether to attend Tufts (get into med school possibly after 2 years...which I think is a long time and also risky) or St. Georges (start now, receive a good education, become a doctor in 4 years from a less reputable med school). Is it worth it to wait two years to attend a low tier US medical school vs. attending St. Georges?

Please help! So confused.

I just found out that I got into Tufts, which is great because it was one of my top choices :) I'm pretty much just between BU and Tufts now. Here's the issue, I REALLY like what I hear about the MBS program itself versus the BU MAMS program because I like the smaller class as well as the more integrated curriculum. I also just like the fact that Tufts' facilities are more up to date than BU's which I'm sure wouldn't hurt the learning experience. However, I am planning on doing this program in two years, and doing an MPH in the second year, which is an option in both schools. Issue is BU has an entire school of Public Health, with a great reputation, while Tufts just has a program of public health. So I want Tufts MBS but BU MPH. I suppose I could do just that: do Tufts MBS and then apply to BU's MPH program for the year after while I do my med school apps. It would just be easier logistically to do both at one school, because the programs can be designed to accommodate each other when done at one school. So I guess, I'm a bit torn now...thoughts?
The MPH is extremely important to me so I'd really like not to shortchange myself on a decent MPH program when I could have access to a great one...the only question is do i sacrifice Tufts' MBS for that?

Realistically, what GPA do you have to get at Tufts in order to get into a top 50 medical school? any med school?

My GPA in undergrad was a 3.2...MCAT 29. I'm trying to decide whether to attend Tufts (get into med school possibly after 2 years...which I think is a long time and also risky) or St. Georges (start now, receive a good education, become a doctor in 4 years from a less reputable med school). Is it worth it to wait two years to attend a low tier US medical school vs. attending St. Georges?

Please help! So confused.

These programs are designed to let med schools know you are ready, and they don't really want to see any grades lower than an A-, maybe a VERY occasional B+. They are definitely a lot of work, but if you can maintain a GPA above a 3.7, you have a really competitive shot at top 50 med schools. Tufts usually takes about 25% of their own students, not necessarily the 25% that got the automatic interview, but 25% none the less.

apparently the med campus for tufts is pretty unsafe. anyone there right now care to comment on how they feel about the campus' safety?

apparently the med campus for tufts is pretty unsafe. anyone there right now care to comment on how they feel about the campus' safety?
it's just urban dude. chinatown is not a great area but it's not that unsafe, no one is getting shot or mugged in broad daylight or anything that i know of...

for the people who were accepted this year, could you tell me how long it took for you to receive your acceptance after your application was complete?

does anyone know if it's possible to defer a SMP for a year? lol

I was accepted for fall 2010, deferred for a year (got a great job in medical field). I just had to pay a deposit, and I'll be joining you guys that choose to attend this fall. Speaking of which, anyone have any ideas about housing? I'm from the west coast moving cross country for the first time.

I was accepted for fall 2010, deferred for a year (got a great job in medical field). I just had to pay a deposit, and I'll be joining you guys that choose to attend this fall. Speaking of which, anyone have any ideas about housing? I'm from the west coast moving cross country for the first time.

I am in Boston now because I go to school here (and grew up in the area) and have been looking for apartments as well since I'm pretty much done with dorm-living at this point. There should be a housing website link that Tufts sent you with a few weeks after your acceptance, and I'm imagining since you go accepted for last year, you probably already have access to that website. It actually has a few relatively useful resources: a roommate finding/available housing list posted by people who are already at Tufts who need people for next year. That's cool if you are not too attached to living by yourself like I am, and you essentially would be replacing a roommate that those people had for the most part. The prices on there seem reasonable, but again living with random people is not something that I am too excited about, but you may find it useful. They also have a pie chart that kind of breaks down where their students now live, which is surprisingly mostly the Cambridge area because Cambridge is pretty expensive. But for the most part they're students are really spread out around boston. The nice thing about Tufts' location is that since its in Chinatown, if you don't necessarily want to live in Chinatown, you can pretty much get to any neighborhood in Boston within 30-40 min T-ride. So I'm really looking in the brighton/brookline/allston/Jamaica Plain area because prices seem to be a little more, reasonable in that area. But you could theoretically live anywhere that has easy access to the red, orange, or green line and get to school pretty hassle free.

On the website they also have a list of the different areas in Boston which might help you to decide what sounds more like your thing. While these descriptions have some useful information, I would not use it as my primary source as it is something that sounds like it came out of a "Welcome to the City of Boston" website, so of course they might tell you about "the vibrant and bustling atmosphere of Chinatown" and "the diversity of East Boston" which are both very VERY true...but they also don't mention that China town is probably not the safest place one could live in Boston, and East Boston has history of gang violence in very particular areas, which if you decided to live you'd need to know to avoid those. As a female, these things are a little bit more important to me because from the intensity of the program, I know that I will probably be having frequent long nights in the library, and if I have to take the T home, I want to make sure that I live in a neighborhood that I'm comfortable with walking to at 11pm.

Try to find that e-mail if you can, and hopefully the site will be somewhat useful to what you're looking for. Also, of course you can try craigslist and I believe that website also just has a list of regular apartment finding website, which you could probably just google for. But I have lived in the Boston area for over 10 years now, so if anything should come up and you particular questions about neighborhoods and what not, please feel free to PM me.

Otherwise, I have until next Wednesday to decide on Tufts, and I'm leaning towards it anyhow, so I will probably meet you in the fall!!:)

Wow thanks for the quick and informative response! I've been poking around craigslist a bit, and I'm sure I'll come up with something. Good luck with your decision!

Hello Everyone,

I applied to Tufts MBS and when i log on to see my status it says everything has been received. Anyone know the next step will i get a letter or email when they begin to review my app? How long does it take to receive a decision???I know the website says 6-8weeks!:oops:

Hello Everyone,

I applied to Tufts MBS and when i log on to see my status it says everything has been received. Anyone know the next step will i get a letter or email when they begin to review my app? How long does it take to receive a decision???I know the website says 6-8weeks!:oops:

I'm not sure if they have a "regular" timeline, but heard back in a little over 3 weeks. I would imagine yours shouldn't take as long as 8 weeks, so ya...probably not more than a month? Sorry i can't give a clearer answer. I'm sure other people have better ideas.

PS: I finally put in my electronic acceptance of admission, along with ridiculous $500 deposit they wanted, so it's definitely gonna be Tufts for me!! :) Hopefully you'll be joining us too, Ivy.

hi everyone! i've been accepted to tufts and since i'm in the boston area, im going to go in for the self-guided tour (since they dont offer any formal tours). are there any current MBS students who would be willing to give me a quick tour or any MBS students-to-be who want to go on the tour with me?

msg me if you're interested! thanks :)

I applied to several smp's in Jan/Feb, but not tufts. is it too late to apply there also?
info appreciated, thanks

I am also waiting for the result. It has been two weeks, since I finished my application. Are there any predents who got in?

Hey Everyone!
Congrats to those of you who have been accepted. If anyone is looking for housing, I am looking to sublet my place (I'm finishing the program and moving out at the end of May) from June until Sept 1 (but could probably hook you up to extend the lease for the rest of the year). Its a HUGE studio on the border of Brookline and Brighton, which has been a great location for the year. Message me if you're interested!

Hi guys, looks like I'll be joining you this fall:) does anybody know, if we apply this cycle, what our chances are for getting into med schools? Tara said about 50% apply this cycle. Do they have much luck? I have a 3.6 and a 27 MCAT but I'm retaking it in June to hopefully get above a 30.

Does anyone know which campus our classes are held at? I'm assuming the med school campus, but I don't want to get an apartment by there if it turns out to be the undergrad campus...

I currently live in Boston and will be moving out of my apartment at the end of May. It's actually located near the BU Medical campus but there is the Silver Line which takes you directly to Tufts (about 5 min bus ride). Really convenient.

The apartment is a small 1 bedroom and is about 350 sq. ft. so it's ideal for someone who wants their own space. Pet friendly.

Available for a sublet May 20-July 30. Might be able to renew the lease starting August. Rent for June & July is reduced at $1000/month and staring August it's $1500/month. Kinda pricey but the space is renovated. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Hey Guys! I just got my acceptance letter for Tufts MBS! I am too excited!

I got accepted to both BU and Tufts. I'm leaning toward Tufts for the MBS but I prefer BU for the MPH. there is no way of doing the MBS and then MPH at BU (a one year MPH), is there?

I got accepted to both BU and Tufts. I'm leaning toward Tufts for the MBS but I prefer BU for the MPH. there is no way of doing the MBS and then MPH at BU (a one year MPH), is there?

You can do this, but you will have to apply to BU separately, obviously. But there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible.