Tufts MBS Program 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am not sure whether i could still complete the MPH program in one year though- they may require me to complete it over 2 years since it is not technically an accelerated program anymore

Members don't see this ad.

waitlisted as well...

Now I have to decide if I want to wait that long for an answer or just accept going to my second choice school....

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that I got into Tufts, which is great because it was one of my top choices :) I'm pretty much just between BU and Tufts now. Here's the issue, I REALLY like what I hear about the MBS program itself versus the BU MAMS program because I like the smaller class as well as the more integrated curriculum. I also just like the fact that Tufts' facilities are more up to date than BU's which I'm sure wouldn't hurt the learning experience. However, I am planning on doing this program in two years, and doing an MPH in the second year, which is an option in both schools. Issue is BU has an entire school of Public Health, with a great reputation, while Tufts just has a program of public health. So I want Tufts MBS but BU MPH. I suppose I could do just that: do Tufts MBS and then apply to BU's MPH program for the year after while I do my med school apps. It would just be easier logistically to do both at one school, because the programs can be designed to accommodate each other when done at one school. So I guess, I'm a bit torn now...thoughts?
The MPH is extremely important to me so I'd really like not to shortchange myself on a decent MPH program when I could have access to a great one...the only question is do i sacrifice Tufts' MBS for that?

If you were not going to go for an MPH would you choose Tufts over BU? Hasnt BU's MAMS program been around longer than Tufts? Do you have any more info about the two?

If you dont mind, what are your stats?

I was recently accepted into Tufts and also need some advice in deciding between Tufts and BU.

waitlisted as well...

Now I have to decide if I want to wait that long for an answer or just accept going to my second choice school....

I was waitlisted also. I got a response really quickly after my application was complete, like less than a week, which makes me think they've already used up all of their acceptances and are putting everyone else on hold at this point. Oh well, hopefully things will move around as people start to commit.

Damn...I started the app but haven't submitted since I'm waiting for MCAT scores. Wonder if it's worth applying with this waitlist business.

I just started the App as well, but now I just need to write the personal statement. I want to clarify that I understand what I should cover in the essay though. What did you guys write about? Was your PS for Tufts similar to the one you used to apply to medical/dental school? It says that I should explain why obtaining an MS in Biomedical Sciences at Tuft would help me reach my career goals. Is that really all I should write about? Shouldn't we also talk about why we want to become doctors and what makes us unique as applicants?

If you were not going to go for an MPH would you choose Tufts over BU? Hasnt BU's MAMS program been around longer than Tufts? Do you have any more info about the two?

If you dont mind, what are your stats?

I was recently accepted into Tufts and also need some advice in deciding between Tufts and BU.

Hey, sorry about the delay. First of all, congrats on getting into the programs...this is a very good problem to have so yay!! :) But yes, I would (and did) choose Tufts over BU for the regular MBS. Like I said before, I'm just generally a bigger fan of the small class. Even though I chose Tufts, I did speak to quite a few students who are/were in the BU MAMS/MPH program. The fact of the matter is there is no real "wrong" decision. Both are great programs. Yes, BU has been around for longer, however Tufts also just has a great reputation both as an institution and as a program (even though its young). I was also just a bigger fan of the curriculum at Tufts.
As far as the MPH goes, there's no doubt that BU has a great program and probably more resources, however I really liked the opportunity that I have at Tufts to take classes at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy since I am interested in international health. If I were looking to get a doctorate in public health, BU SPH would be the way to go, however I'm looking to be a physician in public health and from what I understand a masters in public health is pretty standard across the board. Of course because BU is a bigger school, there will probably be more resources, but that's honestly not something I'm too concerned about. I am more than willing to do what I need to do to make sure that I get the types of experiences that I want for my career objectives.

Another big thing for Tufts MBS is the fact that they really take care of their students as far as med school applications go. They write you a committee letter and you don't necessarily have to go back to undergrad profs. BU, on the other hand, requires you to go back to your undergrad for recs and what not. While this isn't a huge deal, I just like the fact that I can just kinda get everything taken care of at one place and only have to deal with one committee.

Also another question ask yourself is where would you rather go to med school? (While going to one program does not necessarily reduce your chances of getting into the other school's med school, it's pretty obvious that going to Tufts MBS would probably give you a foot in door into the med school (if you're in the top 25%) and same for BU.)

All that being said, this is a tough decision as both programs are great at what they do (that is; get students into medical school). From all the students I spoke with from both programs, it really sounded like everyone thoroughly enjoyed their experiences, so I really would just go with your gut. For me when it came down to it, yes I had a pro/con list but I also just kinda knew I wanted to go to Tufts...so you gotta figure that out for you. But good luck with your decision!! (and sorry this is so long)

Hi everyone, I've been looking at different places around the boston area. I'm wondering if there's anyone in the program who might be interested in rooming together (like finding a 2-3 bedroom place). I would like to live with all females (sorry boys), preferably non-smokers and non-drinkers (or occasional drinkers). I'm really just looking for a relatively calm environment where we can all study (as that's all we'll be doing with our lives next year lol). I'm also not a big partier so similar personalities would be great. I'm not really looking to live in the downtown area as rent is ridiculously expensive the closer you are to the center of Boston so I'm looking in the allston/brighton/cambridge/brookline/jamaica plane areas (and really any other places at the periphery of the city) which are mostly 20-45 min T rides from school. I think these would be the best areas as I'm trying to keep it under $700/month for rent while still staying safe. I go to BC so I'm in the area and can do the "footwork" (ie. going to meet with realtors or landlords etc) if you're not from around here. Please PM me if that's something you're possibly interested in and we can chat/skype. Of course it's totally fine if we talk and decide our personalities wouldn't work together! Also, it's totally fine if you're going to BU MAMS and want to house together as well! We'll just have to find a place in an area that works for everyone. The good thing is most T-lines go to both BU and Tufts, so we have a lot of options!:)

I am also looking for housing near Tufts med. How are people going about this? Just getting a 1 BR or where can you find roommates?

I am also looking for housing near Tufts med. How are people going about this? Just getting a 1 BR or where can you find roommates?

I am also curious about this.

is it available to mbs students though? is it nice?

Members don't see this ad :)
just double checking: if we pay the deposit/reply to the offer online we do not have to mail the candidate reply form back, correct?

just double checking: if we pay the deposit/reply to the offer online we do not have to mail the candidate reply form back, correct?

Just submitted my deposit so it's looking like Boston next year for me. And yeah, Tufts already has our deposit when you do it online so they probably don't need a hardcopy of the same form.

BTW, is anyone planning to go to the open house on May 26?

Hey,
I have been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts and am trying to decide which to go to. Right now I am leaning towards tufts however im a little hesitant as they havent published anything about how many of their students usually get into med schools or which ones. I know BU has a proven track record but I feel like tufts would give the opportunity to get into higher echelon schools due to the Tufts prestige. If anyone could give me any info on about how many students get into med schools and which ones, that would be great.

Hey everyone!

I was accepted about a week ago to this program and i just had a quick question:

Has anyone been able to delay their decision/deposit a week or so? I got a last second interview to a med school and I should be hearing back next week but I believe my deadline is before I hear back..

I was just wondering if anyone has done such a thing... thanks!!!

Just submitted my deposit so it's looking like Boston next year for me. And yeah, Tufts already has our deposit when you do it online so they probably don't need a hardcopy of the same form.

BTW, is anyone planning to go to the open house on May 26?

Hi,
I was just accepted to the Tufts MBS program a couple weeks ago and I'll be at the open house on May 26th. I've sent in my deposit as well and will be joining you all in the fall. I'm also going to be looking around during that week for places to live next year.

Does anyone know if there's an official tour of the campus? If not, I'm probably going to do some exploring of the area on my own. Anyone that's going to be there is welcome to join me...just PM me if you're interested :)

Hi all,

I just started looking into the MBS and I really wish I had considered it earlier. I just called the admissions number and asked about the application. I'm just a little confused on what you can use from your AMCAS and what needs to be original to the MBS application. But now I don't want to call back and sound like a *****. This is a bit early in the AM for me as I work nights.:rolleyes:

So can you just use the letters of recommendation that you got for you AMCAS or do you need new ones that suggest you for the MBS?

The website says:
A minimum of three letters of reference are required from people who can appraise the applicant's potential to succeed in the specific program being pursued. Recommenders must be noted on the application form itself, and all letters should note the relationship of the recommender to the applicant.
If an applicant has been in school within the last five years, at least one letter of recommendation must come from a faculty member well acquainted with the applicant's academic work. Recommendations may be submitted electronically, or via mail. Recommendations submitted by mail must be unopened with the author's signature across the seal.
Applicants may also use recommendations compiled by pre-medical committees, as long as three (or more) letters, from which the full Committee letter was written, are sent. We cannot accept one letter with excerpts of all letters written. Students may also use a letter service such as Interfolio.

My premed committee hasn't written my composite yet. Does that mean I need to send brand new LOR from people that recommend me for the MBS? I have 6 LOR compiled to send to AMCAS as soon as my premed committee has written their letter. Can I just send 3 of those 6? Or will I have have to go back and ask them to write me one for MBS, too?

Thanks!

How many waitlisted people are actually waiting 'til July to hear back from the admissions committee?

Im declining my acceptance. good luck to those on waitlist!

Hi all,

I just started looking into the MBS and I really wish I had considered it earlier. I just called the admissions number and asked about the application. I'm just a little confused on what you can use from your AMCAS and what needs to be original to the MBS application. But now I don't want to call back and sound like a *****. This is a bit early in the AM for me as I work nights.:rolleyes:

So can you just use the letters of recommendation that you got for you AMCAS or do you need new ones that suggest you for the MBS?

The website says:
A minimum of three letters of reference are required from people who can appraise the applicant's potential to succeed in the specific program being pursued. Recommenders must be noted on the application form itself, and all letters should note the relationship of the recommender to the applicant.
If an applicant has been in school within the last five years, at least one letter of recommendation must come from a faculty member well acquainted with the applicant's academic work. Recommendations may be submitted electronically, or via mail. Recommendations submitted by mail must be unopened with the author's signature across the seal.
Applicants may also use recommendations compiled by pre-medical committees, as long as three (or more) letters, from which the full Committee letter was written, are sent. We cannot accept one letter with excerpts of all letters written. Students may also use a letter service such as Interfolio.

My premed committee hasn't written my composite yet. Does that mean I need to send brand new LOR from people that recommend me for the MBS? I have 6 LOR compiled to send to AMCAS as soon as my premed committee has written their letter. Can I just send 3 of those 6? Or will I have have to go back and ask them to write me one for MBS, too?

Thanks!

Hi,

I just had my letter packet (including my committee letter) sent to Tufts that I used to apply to medical schools. So, I didn't have specific LORs for the MBS program. I would say that you could send 3 of your 6 current LORs if you wanted or you could even send all 6, it just depends on what you want the admissions committee to see. I would send any letters from people who know you well and most likely would have given you good recommendations. On the same note, you could wait until the committee letter had been written and then send the entire packet. However, I would suggest sending in the application ASAP to give yourself the best chance of acceptance. You can submit the application and send them your letters afterwards if you needed to, but I don't think they start reviewing applications until they have everything (transcripts, LORs, etc.).

Hope that helps!

How many waitlisted people are actually waiting 'til July to hear back from the admissions committee?

That's a really good question and something I'm currently debating as well. Tufts is my first choice school and I have been accepted into another program so I'm basically hoping that Tufts might make an exception and start accepting/rejecting people on the waitlists before July 15th :xf:

Otherwise, I'm willing to wait for Tufts while getting my stuff for my second choice program just in case.

has anyone had any luck finding apartments in south end??

Hi all,

I saw there were a few people choosing between Tufts and BU, which is exactly the position that I was in a few months ago. I chose Tufts because (not necessarily in this order):

1. It is considerably cheaper
2. It is the only program that outright says the top 25% automatically get an interview, and as I understand it about 25% actually get into Tufts Med, which is pretty promising.
3. I am just finishing my undergrad at BU and honestly, the school administration can sometimes be quite uncaring towards the students. BU more than any other school is dying to get money out of you!
4. Tufts curriculum is more structured and has more classes to my liking (gross anatomy, etc)
5. Tufts organizes Patient Presentation of different diseases every week, I don't know if BU does the same.
6. Honestly, I think both programs are probably great, I just had a really good feeling about Tufts.

Hope this is helpful to some people, best of luck!

I got my acceptance today! Super stoked. I'll more than likely be attending in the Fall. Also looking into housing options... I was originally looking at studios or 1 BR, but way too expensive in the city. I posted on the Boston housing thread too. Good luck to everyone!

Very good question indeed.

I was waitlisted about a month ago. I am definitely waiting for a response, given the program is perfect. I am however, still debating between RF, Columbia, UMDNJ and U of MD (Molecular Medicine).

For those waitlisted, do you mind mentioning stats? I feel I probably was waitlisted because I sent in GRE scores in leu of MCATs (taking them May 26th)...hoping sending those in may increase chances of getting off the waitlist.

Also, doing anything extra to polish the application?

My stats:
3.3 ungergrad. 3.3 science. 1180 GRE. Double degree neurobiology and middle eastern history.

Last edited:
I just declined my acceptance. Good luck to those on the wait list :xf:

I just found out I got into the program! :) I am still waiting on other programs but most likely will attend Tufts! I am from California so super excited to be moving across the country!

I don't know if I should be asking this here, but does the Tufts MBS have a particular GPA and MCAT score requirement? BU's MAMS states an MCAT score of 25-30 with a minimum GPA of 3.1. My GPA right now is 3.6 - 3.7 and although I haven't taken the MCAT yet, my practice scores are in the high 30s range. I'm considering doing a SMP program as I feel that my GPA and my overall applicant isn't competitive enough (written some case studies, worked at a doctor's office for 6+ years). Tufts' MBS program looks really good, I'm just worried that I wouldn't qualify because my of stats.

I don't know if I should be asking this here, but does the Tufts MBS have a particular GPA and MCAT score requirement? BU's MAMS states an MCAT score of 25-30 with a minimum GPA of 3.1. My GPA right now is 3.6 - 3.7 and although I haven't taken the MCAT yet, my practice scores are in the high 30s range. I'm considering doing a SMP program as I feel that my GPA and my overall applicant isn't competitive enough (written some case studies, worked at a doctor's office for 6+ years). Tufts' MBS program looks really good, I'm just worried that I wouldn't qualify because my of stats.

You do not need an SMP program at all if you are getting upper 30s MCAT scores...

Last edited:
accepted and will be attending Tufts in the fall. still working on my housing and roommate situation though haha. Congrats to everyone who got in too!

Hello All,

Congrats to everyone again. My roommate and I are looking for one more roommate so we can get a 3 bed. Right now we're looking for a 3 bed in either allston/brighton area, mission hill, or south boston.Females only please, and preferably non-drinkers and non-smokers. We're looking to have a study friendly space, including the weekends. Please note that we are viewing apartments for Sept 1st as that will allow us to get the areas we want and still stay under $700/person. That means, if you are going to Tufts you will have to find some kind of temp housing for the two weeks before we move in to our place during labor day weekend as our classes start Aug 21st.

Please PM me if you might be interested or if you have any questions.
-Faith

Hey everyone,

I've recently been accepted and I'm most likely going to be attending Tufts in the fall. Though I have a few questions for you guys.

On the candidate reply form that came with our acceptance letter, it said the deposit was $500. However, on the online acceptance form, it said the deposit was $200. Did anyone else notice this?

Also, is anyone here attending the open house on Thursday, May 26th?

Congrats! I haven't submitted my form yet, but on the second page it says $500 for me. It should be $500 (in the past, however, it was $200).

The Tufts MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) degree program is designed primarily to help students become stronger applicants to medical school. The program will also help those interested in strengthening their academic credentials so that they may pursue advanced degrees in fields such as dental medicine, veterinary medicine or biomedical research.

The Tufts MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) degree program is designed primarily to help students become stronger applicants to medical school. The program will also help those interested in strengthening their academic credentials so that they may pursue advanced degrees in fields such as dental medicine, veterinary medicine or biomedical research.

Did you attend the Tufts MBS program? If so, can you please tell us alittle about the MCAT classes they offer and how it helped you get into Med school?

Thanks

Hey all. Just got accepted today..woohoo! Does anyone have any idea how big the class size is? And what kind of financial aid stuff, besides grant and loans, are offered? Anything like TAships?

Hey all. Just got accepted today..woohoo! Does anyone have any idea how big the class size is? And what kind of financial aid stuff, besides grant and loans, are offered? Anything like TAships?

Hey congrats! I'm pretty sure the class is around 80-90ish (don't quote me on that though), but I'm almost certain it is under 100 students as I believe that's where they were trying to cap it.

As to your second question: unfortunately for this program there are no grants. So your financial aid will probably be entirely made up of loans. I believe there are a few TA-ships available, but unless you've taken classes in the health sciences at a graduate level--I'm not sure you would be qualified. I went to the open house last week and they certainly discourage MBS students from working during the program as it will require your full attention and energy, so even if you can do a TA-ship, it may not be in your best interest in order to succeed in the program. So ya, unfortunately there are very little to no options for funding this program outside of loans.

i'm currently in the MBS program, and though i decided against doing the MPH, there are a bunch of people who applied & were accepted to BU's MPH program. from what they have said, BU will accept credit for the 1 course you take a Tufts (usually Intro to Epidemiology). also, a perk is that they have received a scholarship from BU -- i think it was $3,000?

i'm clearly a fan a Tufts. and if this gives you any insight, one of my friends who just finished BU MAMS wants to go to Tufts Med School over BU because "they care more". i can't vouch for that but i just thought i'd share.

both programs are great so as cliche as it sounds, just go with your gut.

I'm also looking around for housing, I was planning on a 1BR or studio close to campus, but if people are looking for roommates I'm down. I'm from Seattle so I was planning on flying out in July to look around.

is there anyone here who is planning on living at home during the duration of the program?