U Michigan or U Buffalo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanAlanine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS. Fight!

Members don't see this ad.

Scholarship offers come out on thursday. Wait and then see how you feel. Personally, I would go with U Michigan - it is a much more renowned school, and the facilities are world-class. I have heard not so good things about U Buffalo from residents. But then again, my PI went to U Buffalo and he did his oncology residency at Harvard.

Buffalo tries to sell itself as something it isn't. The only person I liked there was Mr. Rosso. The rest of the staff I ran into were kinda weird. The clinical skills center for example uses volunteers instead of actors. The lady there was going on and on about how her daughter said "OMG!! I totally wanna volunteer!" How is some excited teenager supposed to help you get the feedback you need to be a better clinician?? One of the professors who talked about the curriculum claimed that it was "below [us]" to work with students from the other health professions like nursing etc. Kinda crazy if you ask me...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll wait for scholarships, since I feel like tuition + cost of living in Buffalo is cheaper.

Personally, I would pay full-tuition to go to Michigan over even free-tuition at Buffalo. The school is FARRRR better in terms of location, prestige, research opportunities, facilities, etc.

I'm honestly baffled by the fact that the OP is actually considering Buffalo over Michigan....

Personally, I would pay full-tuition to go to Michigan over even free-tuition at Buffalo. The school is FARRRR better in terms of location, prestige, research opportunities, facilities, etc.

I'm honestly baffled by the fact that the OP is actually considering Buffalo over Michigan....

Michigan, no doubt. Only doubt if the price difference is big big. Unless something you didn't tell us pulls you to Buffalo.

If the prices are even remotely similar and you don't have any particular ties to Buffalo, then I'm a little baffled too.

Michigan > Buffalo

However, Buffalo (with half/greater scholarship) > Michigan

Prestige is not worth > $80k

Look at it this way. Would you rather tell the ladies "I went to Michigan" as you roll up in your 15 year old Toyota, or "I went to Buffalo" as you roll up in your 911/7 series/S class/GT-R.

I concur. I actually have 2 full tuition scholarship offers from schools that are top 25 USNWR and I am still trying to decide if it would be worth going to those institutions over the University of Michigan. And if it comes down to it I think I would choose UMich still. Your decision is much much easier. Don't let the ranks fool you UMich is as prestigious and will open as many doors as the top 10 schools. It is a highly regarded school that is always in the top 5 as far as residency director score goes I could go on and on about the highly regarded residency training provided there ( as well as fellowships). Choose wisely and I hope to meet you at second look or in the fall. I have to be honest that I have a very biased opinion and as naijaboi touched on his PI eventually did his residency at Harvard. So clearly Buffalo or any U.S. medschool does not limit you but why make your life harder than it needs to be. I don't know what your ultimate career goals or aspirations are but I'm sure UMich would make it easier to attain.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and I should start a school thread for me too:p

I concur. I actually have 2 full tuition scholarship offers from schools that are top 25 USNWR and I am still trying to decide if it would be worth going to those institutions over the University of Michigan. And if it comes down to it I think I would choose UMich still. Your decision is much much easier. Don't let the ranks fool you UMich is as prestigious and will open as many doors as the top 10 schools. It is a highly regarded school that is always in the top 5 as far as residency director score goes I could go on and on about the highly regarded residency training provided there ( as well as fellowships). Choose wisely and I hope to meet you at second look or in the fall. I have to be honest that I have a very biased opinion and as naijaboi touched on his PI eventually did his residency at Harvard. So clearly Buffalo or any U.S. medschool does not limit you but why make your life harder than it needs to be. I don't know what your ultimate career goals or aspirations are but I'm sure UMich would make it easier to attain.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and I should start a school thread for me too:p

If you have two full tuition scholarships from top 25 USNWR schools, it would be very foolish to toss these aside for UMICH. It is a great school....but not worth tossing all of that money away. IMHO.

Umm...in your case, I would go to the Top 25 full tuition school. In the OP's situation, the difference between Michigan and Buffalo is HUGE.

But in your case, I agree with the post above, it would be foolish to give up a full-tuition to a top 25 school. Honestly within the top 20-25, the difference is really not that big.

If you have two full tuition scholarships from top 25 USNWR schools, it would be very foolish to toss these aside for UMICH. It is a great school....but not worth tossing all of that money away. IMHO.

Umm...in your case, I would go to the Top 25 full tuition school. In the OP's situation, the difference between Michigan and Buffalo is HUGE.

But in your case, I agree with the post above, it would be foolish to give up a full-tuition to a top 25 school. Honestly within the top 20-25, the difference is really not that big.

Well I just don't want to make a decision until all my options are on the table. I still am waiting for Thursday which is UMich scholarship day and then I can deicide then(/ make a thread and have people decide for me:oops:) And I guess I lied a little they aren't both top 25 USNWR this year UNC(20) and Wisconsin(27). But historically they have been top 25. But I understand what you guys are saying. With me it was actually less about the prestige but more about "fit" and feeling extremely comfortable at UMich.

This is not my thread so lets get back to the OP. GO TO UMICH!!!

Inadvertent :hijacked:

Um. Full ride at UNC or Wisc >>>>> than Michigan.

EDIT: you already redirected it back to OP :)

OP, Michigan unless big compelling personal or financial reasons for Buffalo

Michigan, no doubt. Only doubt if the price difference is big big. Unless something you didn't tell us pulls you to Buffalo.

If the prices are even remotely similar and you don't have any particular ties to Buffalo, then I'm a little baffled too.

I would be pretty surprised if the OP is genuinely having a difficult time deciding. The difference between them is just too huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.