UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an acceptance from Dublin! Bronwyn sent me an email saying they will be making me a formal offer. Yay!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got an acceptance from Dublin! Bronwyn sent me an email saying they will be making me a formal offer. Yay!!
Same! Can't believe it was so fast!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an acceptance from UCD only a couple hours after my interview as well!!! So excited!!

To anyone who needs to send Fall semester transcript to universities, I e-mailed all of them to see where they want me to send them. So far I've heard back from UCD and Edinburgh.

For UCD, they said to scan the transcript and then e-mail them to [email protected] and also to [email protected]

For Edinburgh, they said to e-mail the offical transcript to [email protected] or to mail them to:
The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
The University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush Campus
Midlothian
EH25 9RG

I'll let you know when I hear back from the rest :)
I heard back from RVC today. They said you only need to send transcripts by the summer if you're going to go there.

They also said they hope to get acceptances out within the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yay!! Congrats to you all!!!! That was so fast after the interview! Amazing!

Whoa, just joined SDN and hearing about all of your successes is amazing!! Congrats! :D I have my Dublin interview tomorrow; was it scary?

Whoa, just joined SDN and hearing about all of your successes is amazing!! Congrats! :D I have my Dublin interview tomorrow; was it scary?

No, it was really laid back and not stressful. The UCD staff is really friendly and make you feel at ease. Good luck!!

For those of you who interviewed with RVC, I emailed them asking about fall transcripts (which aren't required until the summer) and they mentioned they should be in touch "very shortly" with their final decisions :nailbiting:

Edit: just realized someone above posted the same news :p oh well

For those of you who interviewed with RVC, I emailed them asking about fall transcripts (which aren't required until the summer) and they mentioned they should be in touch "very shortly" with their final decisions :nailbiting:

Edit: just realized someone above posted the same news :p oh well
Ahhhh! I hope their idea of very shortly means this week!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhhh! I hope their idea of very shortly means this week!!
Hopefully! How are they contacting people who get in/don't get in? Please don't say snail mail! My poor mailman can't take anymore stalking!

Hopefully! How are they contacting people who get in/don't get in? Please don't say snail mail! My poor mailman can't take anymore stalking!

Last year it was via email. Virtually all communication with RVC is via email. They've been making an effort to go paperless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am literally checking my email like a maniac these days, RVC sure likes to keep us on our toes !:oops::bag:

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else who applied to Glasgow... did you guys get any sort of email confirmation that your transcript(s) was recieved? I initially ordered for mine to be sent out by mail a good month ago -- and they were shipped, according to tracking -- but also bit the bullet and bought an electronic PDF version to shoot to them via email just in case, as I know international mail can sometimes be spotty and another member posted here saying that they were told to email instead (the correct address being [email protected], I believe?).

I'll probably contact them myself within the week to be sure either or both transcripts are in their hands now, but I'm just curious.

Why, yes, I probably am panicking over absolutely nothing worth worrying about at all. :p

EDIT: Neeeever mind. Ms. Veitch just wrote me back. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am literally checking my email like a maniac these days, RVC sure likes to keep us on our toes !:oops::bag:
I know! I wish they'd email us an update with a new timeline they expect decisions to go out. :(

Did anyone else apply to all 4 schools? If so, how are you ranking them and have you been abroad? I feel like I can't make a decision without seeing the schools and facilities, but I also don't know that I can afford a flight to Europe before 4/15, assuming I even get accepted to all 4 (please let Glasgow and Edinburgh have a turn around like Dublin). I mean, since we have time to kill waiting for RVC... Does anyone have pros/cons of the schools and cities?

Did anyone else apply to all 4 schools? If so, how are you ranking them and have you been abroad? I feel like I can't make a decision without seeing the schools and facilities, but I also don't know that I can afford a flight to Europe before 4/15, assuming I even get accepted to all 4 (please let Glasgow and Edinburgh have a turn around like Dublin). I mean, since we have time to kill waiting for RVC... Does anyone have pros/cons of the schools and cities?

I've been to Dublin, Edinburgh, and London, they're all lovely cities. London is a lot more urban than even NYC, so if you like nightlife/REALLY large cities then that could be a good one. RVC is a really nice school. I didn't get to see Edinburgh's school because it's not in the city, but the city itself is a smaller-scale version of London. It's sort of Portland, Oregon, or Burlington, VT in its feel. UCD is also a really nice campus, and the buildings are well maintained and the staff were really happy to answer my questions. Dublin itself is an amazing city that is great for students. In terms of budget, I'd rank London as the most expensive and Dublin as the least expensive in terms of living costs, since the euro is almost equal to the dollar. I haven't been to Glasgow, but I've heard that the city itself is student friendly and the facilities are very well kept and they provide more hands-on experience from the start for international students since we tend to have more experience than the native students.

I did as well and I've only been to London. Most of my decision will be based on housing availability since I'm bringing several large dogs. So far, the Scottish schools seem to have the most reasonable housing market :)

I've been to Dublin, Edinburgh, and London, they're all lovely cities. London is a lot more urban than even NYC, so if you like nightlife/REALLY large cities then that could be a good one. RVC is a really nice school. I didn't get to see Edinburgh's school because it's not in the city, but the city itself is a smaller-scale version of London. It's sort of Portland, Oregon, or Burlington, VT in its feel. UCD is also a really nice campus, and the buildings are well maintained and the staff were really happy to answer my questions. Dublin itself is an amazing city that is great for students. In terms of budget, I'd rank London as the most expensive and Dublin as the least expensive in terms of living costs, since the euro is almost equal to the dollar. I haven't been to Glasgow, but I've heard that the city itself is student friendly and the facilities are very well kept and they provide more hands-on experience from the start for international students since we tend to have more experience than the native students.
This. Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for. Do you know much about the other RVC campus? Only the first year or two would be spent in the heart of London and the last 3 years in Hawkshead, which I think is less urban and on the outskirts?

I did as well and I've only been to London. Most of my decision will be based on housing availability since I'm bringing several large dogs. So far, the Scottish schools seem to have the most reasonable housing market :)

Yeah, I'm hoping to be able to coordinate with other students at whichever school I end up at and rent a house or something. I've had more luck searching for pet friendly houses than apartments, but I've also read that landlords don't really advertise it. If pressed and if they meet the animal, they are more likely to agree.

Hi all! First of all, congratulations on everyone who got into vet school!
I too, got an email from Dublin for an offer at their 5 year "programme". I would've liked the 4 year, but at least it'll let me have time to acclimate and maybe give me some time to travel!

I was wondering how you guys will bring your pets/belongings to UK (more specifically Dublin), and how does FAFSA work? When will they deposit so that I can arrange transportation/housing?

ahhh so far ahead, but I know I need to be preparing so I can transition to another country smoothly! I'd really appreciate any input on this matter!

@fluffpuffbichon I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that you won't get your financial aid until school starts (at least that's how it works in the US and I haven't seen anything different for int'l schools) I've been planning to keep enough in savings to cover my transportation, housing deposit/first months rent, additional expenses I may incur (cell phone, etc), basically my resettling costs. It's probably cheaper for most things to just sell your old and buy new when you get over there. You can check extra bags on flights for a fee so that may be worth it to check a box or 2. If someone else has other info, I'm glad to be mistaken.

I know! I wish they'd email us an update with a new timeline they expect decisions to go out. :(
I was definitely that person today and I broke down and emailed them. They told me they hope to have them out within the next week. Also for those who get accepted there's an "offer holders" day on 3/30 for anyone who wants to visit. You can schedule a separate tour too if you can't make that date. More info to come I'm sure for anyone who gets in.

I was definitely that person today and I broke down and emailed them. They told me they hope to have them out within the next week. Also for those who get accepted there's an "offer holders" day on 3/30 for anyone who wants to visit. You can schedule a separate tour too if you can't make that date. More info to come I'm sure for anyone who gets in.

Thanks for asking! I was contemplating on asking too.. even scheduled a reminder to do it tomorrow! I was reading (aka stalked) some of the older forums and it SEEMS like they send out their decisions toward the end of Jan./beginning of Feb.. I may be wrong.

But quick shout-out to anyone who hears from RVC, please write a post on here so I'm not refreshing this page or my e-mail every hour! Even short-handed messages like "RVC - EMAIL" works!! :laugh:

Hi all! First of all, congratulations on everyone who got into vet school!
I too, got an email from Dublin for an offer at their 5 year "programme". I would've liked the 4 year, but at least it'll let me have time to acclimate and maybe give me some time to travel!

I was wondering how you guys will bring your pets/belongings to UK (more specifically Dublin), and how does FAFSA work? When will they deposit so that I can arrange transportation/housing?

ahhh so far ahead, but I know I need to be preparing so I can transition to another country smoothly! I'd really appreciate any input on this matter!

I'm looking into a shipping container for all my stuff which doesn't seem to be too bad. Also, animals can be transported in cargo when you fly or under the seat in front of you if they're small and typically they just need a microchip, rabies vaccine (in that order) and dewormer within I think 48ish hours of transport along with some paperwork & health cert if you want to avoid the 6 month quarantine (which you totally do!). The U.K. animal/ag dept is pretty responsive so I'd contact them and get an official list/timeline for specifics, but it's definitely doable to get your furballs overseas.

I didn't see the Hawkeshead campus, but from what I heard it's a short train ride from London (~25-35 minutes), so you can easily be in the city or out in the country if you want. There is a town near campus that is student friendly, and there's a bar and other services available directly on campus.

Thank you!!! Okay now just more waiting...I really hope it's this week rather than next.

I can only speak for London and Edinburgh; London is a great city, if you've been to NYC and enjoyed it you'd probably enjoy London. Quite similar to NYC, it's more expansive as there's more space and there's a lot of green spaces scattered around the city. Pricey to live in, possibly worse than NYC if you take the exchange rate into account. IIRC RVC's preclinical campus is quite near Regent's Park, nice area (I used to live near Baker's St which is just west of the park), the park is lovely. London isn't too doggy (or wasn't when I was there), though Hampstead Heath is a more dog friendly area, and not too far north of the school. I don't know anything about their clinical campus I'm afraid.

Edinburgh is brilliant. It's a small city, very easy to walk across it if you're so inclined. Lots of beautiful green spaces right in the city with places like Arthur's Seat, the Meadows, Calton Hill, and even the beach or the hills within a bus ride away. Very much has a nice city feel with lots of good different restaurants and things to do, but is nowhere near the scale of places like London and NYC. Lot of great events throughout the year too from Hogmanay to the fringe festival and other stuff in between. Very dog friendly city if you have dogs, dugsnpubs is a great guide with listings of all the dog friendly shops and restaurants, and plenty of dogs running about in the Meadows and the parks. Cheaper than London, depending on where you go and if you stay with flatmates or not (or if you live outside the city closer to the school) may get more or less mileage for your money.
The school is fantastic, I love it here. The campus is a bit south of the city, easy to get to on the bus. The campus is all quite new, the new buildings were completed in 2011, so really top facilities from lecture halls to the labs and dissection rooms etc. Hands on stuff from first year with the clinical skills and animal life classes, teaching staff is all great and they genuinely want the students to do well and enjoy their time here. I can't speak for the GEP(4 year) programme, but I've loved the 5 yr programme so far.

For those of you thinking of bringing pets to the UK, check out import information from DEFRA at https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad . Also double check what routes you can take in and whether you can bring your pet with you in the cabin or if they must go in cargo. Anyone coming from the States should qualify for the PETS Passport scheme, important to make sure you have all those steps done right and in the correct order. I came over on the QM2 with my dog to avoid having to put him in cargo. Nice thing with the QM2 - nice holiday, plus you can bring as much luggage as fits in your room :p
I don't know what Dublin's import rules are though.

I'm happy to answer q's about the school or coming over w a dog, feel free to PM ^_^

Yeah, I'm hoping to be able to coordinate with other students at whichever school I end up at and rent a house or something. I've had more luck searching for pet friendly houses than apartments, but I've also read that landlords don't really advertise it. If pressed and if they meet the animal, they are more likely to agree.

When I was looking for a flat to take pets, I looked/contacted any place that didnt explicitly say 'no pets', and I emphasised that my dog was an adult (so not a destructive puppy), house trained, used to spending time in a flat, and that I was an older student (so not an 18 yo set on partying every night) and had him UTD on vax, flea preventative, etc. I had lived in a rented apartment previously and I asked my previous landlord to write me a reference that explicitly stated my dog was well behaved, and I was happy to pay a slightly larger security deposit. Helped a ton! http://www.letswithpets.org.uk has some advice on getting a dog-friendly let. Places out in the country or with a garden are a bit more likely to advertise as pet friendly, but worth checking with places that dont list one way or the other too. Www.rightmove.co.uk is also a great place to look for flats, zoopla is good too.

Has anyone that interviewed with UCD not heard back yet? I interviewed Wednesday the 13th in the afternoon and am getting worried after seeing people were hearing back right away :(

No news from RVC still?

No news from RVC still?

I haven't heard anything yet. But I'll update just as soon as I get anything. :happy: Just remember, at this point: no news is good news.

Has anyone that interviewed with UCD not heard back yet? I interviewed Wednesday the 13th in the afternoon and am getting worried after seeing people were hearing back right away :(
There were only a couple of us who heard back right away saying we *would* be receiving offers, but I still haven't received my official one. I feel like they are probably going to accept more than that. There is still hope.

Anyone attending Glasgow class of 2021? Looking for future fellow classmates!

Anyone attending Glasgow class of 2021? Looking for future fellow classmates!
Me! Possibly, anyway. I've got my interview next Thursday in NYC. I'm so nervous! :nailbiting:

I think there were at least a couple of others on this thread also applying to Glasgow. Definitely seems like a fantastic school with lots of history behind it!

Just got an acceptance from the RVC! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Me too!! So excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congratulations to all those accepted! Still haven't heard back but i'm praying that it's not a negative sign...

Congratulations to all those accepted! Still haven't heard back but i'm praying that it's not a negative sign...
They told us at the interview that they send them out in waves. Definitely too soon to give up hope haha

Hey everyone! I've applied for RVC and Edinburgh. Still waiting to hear back from RVC (fingers crossed that I hear back today with good news) and I am interviewing in NYC for Edinburgh on Feb. 5th, so hope to meet some of you there!

I've been to London and stayed at the RVC campus in Hawkshead for two weeks for a summer program. We periodically made trips to the Camden campus throughout the program. Both campuses are gorgeous, everyone is so friendly, and they really do have so many facilities tailored towards student learning. For a university in a town the size of London, it really has a small town, more personal feel. Let me know if you have any specific questions about either campus!

Accepted to RVC! Interviewing for Edinburgh on Monday. :)

I was wondering if any past/current students might be able to speak to this. :) Did any of you have to choose between a more affordable US option and an international option? And are you happy with the trade-offs/sacrifices that came with studying internationally? I'm weighing all of the pros and cons and feeling a bit stuck. Thanks!

Have you already been accepted? I'm interviewing the 1st.
I have been! But I didn't apply through the VMCAS, I applied through their FEEPASS Program (Facilitated Early Entry for Animal Science Students).. they have a contract setup with a few undergrad colleges in the US to go to glasgow after 3 years instead of 4, and they interviewed me in september when they came to my university. So don't fret! Wishing everyone in this thread/forum the best of luck at interviews in NYC!

I was wondering if any past/current students might be able to speak to this. :) Did any of you have to choose between a more affordable US option and an international option? And are you happy with the trade-offs/sacrifices that came with studying internationally? I'm weighing all of the pros and cons and feeling a bit stuck. Thanks!

Personally, I would always pick the most financially sound option.

The least amount of debt you can possibly have is worth it.

You will get a good education at any of the accredited veterinary schools, don't put yourself an extra $20,000 or more in debt because of an "experience".

Me! Possibly, anyway. I've got my interview next Thursday in NYC. I'm so nervous! :nailbiting:

I think there were at least a couple of others on this thread also applying to Glasgow. Definitely seems like a fantastic school with lots of history behind it!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great! and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about glasgow

I got my acceptance from the RVC this morning too!! I have been walking on cloud 9 all day, in September I will be in London!!:soexcited::soexcited: Anyone know how they might be living yet?? I know it is pretty expensive to live there so I hope to find some roommates, but I am not too concerned because they mentioned at the interview that they would help us out :)