Underachiever to overachiever to medical school advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Volunteer93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I believe I posted before but since this is my last day of highschool, I'm more organized, etc. I wanted to get an updated answer. Basically I have not poor to average in highschool. I think I was honor roll once whatever my GPA is really poor usually around a 2.7 to 3.0/4.0. Anyways I have allot of volunteer work and some public speaking under my belt. The thing is though I have aspergers, anxiety, ADHD and I think depression but my doctor's debate about the ladder(sp?). I really want to be a physician because I love how and why things work.

My SAT is not great I think it was like a 1500 or something whatever highschool was not great because my aspergers created hyper focuses that essentially made me not focus on any work, I hated it but no one knew how to treat it. I could spend hours reading about medicine, pharmacology, ethics, psychology, etc. then right about it but I could not focus on school work. In fact I rarely studied and did not do school work outside of school because of my focus issues...

Anyways I did my own research and grabbed a psychologist and two MD's and we worked out and are still working out the kinks on getting me focused for college. Though IQ testing is not something I particularly find a huge factor I think in my case it might be. On the Wechsler IQ test I scored average with a full score IQ of 105 average, performance IQ of 120 and a verbal IQ of 96...I think the low verbal IQ had to do with my poor math skills and untreated ADHD (had a diagnoses but I did not like stimulants). I had this all done in 2007. From my psychologist, medical doctor, and other important figures accounts my vocabulary is excellent (though I do have bad grammar!:eek:) and they usually comment on my solid judgement, critical thinking and knowledge capacity. My psychologist has doubts about my goals for obvious reasons but I need advice not doubts.

So that's some of my background. I want to be a physician and I'm willing to put my sanity aside for quite some time to do so. I am on Adderall now which has improved by motivation, organization and overall cognition. My plan is as followed but it has some questions in it and if you guys could answer/fill in that would be great!:):

-I'm going to a community college for two years. I will have a good support system in place and I'm going to organize myself religiously. Reason why I had poor grades allot of the time was papers and assignments turned in late which is fixable.

-In community college I'm guessing I will need to seriously kick ass in biology and chemistry. Luckily those topics are interesting to me and I scored over a 90 on both of those regents in highscool. Problem is math so I will seek tutoring for that though I still think it will remain a week point. I had allot of trouble focusing in class given I was in lower level non-regents classes with ODD type kids.

-3.6GPA? That's what I'm sort of working towards getting in community college so I can transfer somewhere a medical school will accept. Not sure on medical schools views on this though...?..

-What courses should I take over the next two years? I'm assuming basic sciences and math...?..

Now I'm not expecting to get into John Hopkins or anything (though that would be amazing) but I need some of your advice. Again I need advice not doubts. Thanks in advance....

Members don't see this ad.

Gen chem, gen bio, advanced algebra or calc. Don't think most colleges would accept physics and orgo from a CC so probably going to have to do them after you transfer. Physiology/cell physio might prep you for some of the harder science courses once you transfer, but then again they might be a waste of time if you're majoring in something else. Get as many gen eds out of the way as you can like sociology, psychology, english and fine arts if you can since it should all transfer

First off, contratulations on graduating high school! For many, high school is a stepping stone to greater and better places, but for some (including myself), it's not exactly a perfect fit. Spending two years (at least, with budget cuts) at a community college is a great way to start off with a clean slate and work hard to achieve your goals. You're right about taking science classes at a community college--however, you shouldn't take ALL of your requirements there. Medical schools want to know that you can apply yourself and succeed at a university as well. I would recommend taking all of your math classes at a community college. Smaller class sizes and more teacher-student interaction is better for those (again, like myself) who aren't so strong in math. Try to get as much general education completed as possible at your community college. Check your community college's webpage to see what classes you can take for general ed, and what classes you need to transfer into your chosen major. (If you aren't sure what you want to major in yet, just focus on figuring out what you enjoy through taking general ed.) Also, start off by taking general chemistry and possibly biology. If you're a science major, a lot of universities will require you to take all science (gen chem, gen bio, organic, physics, etc.) at your community college first. A 3.6 GPA is okay, but always aim for a 4.0! Don't be too hard on yourself if you aren't perfect though... nobody is, and it doesn't mean you can't succeed. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gen chem, gen bio, advanced algebra or calc. Don't think most colleges would accept physics and orgo from a CC so probably going to have to do them after you transfer. Physiology/cell physio might prep you for some of the harder science courses once you transfer, but then again they might be a waste of time if you're majoring in something else. Get as many gen eds out of the way as you can like sociology, psychology, english and fine arts if you can since it should all transfer
I've taken physiology in highschool not sure that matters but I did get an A- in it was pretty easy. I like psychology so would it be good to take that for the first 2 years? So first two years like:
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Math (Algebra or calc)
-Psychology
and a bunch of other fillers obviously like English and all that other crap
then then what would 2 years at a serious college look like?

Hi guys I believe I posted before but since this is my last day of highschool, I'm more organized, etc. I wanted to get an updated answer. Basically I have not poor to average in highschool. I think I was honor roll once whatever my GPA is really poor usually around a 2.7 to 3.0/4.0. Anyways I have allot of volunteer work and some public speaking under my belt. The thing is though I have aspergers, anxiety, ADHD and I think depression but my doctor's debate about the ladder(sp?). I really want to be a physician because I love how and why things work.

My SAT is not great I think it was like a 1500 or something whatever highschool was not great because my aspergers created hyper focuses that essentially made me not focus on any work, I hated it but no one knew how to treat it. I could spend hours reading about medicine, pharmacology, ethics, psychology, etc. then right about it but I could not focus on school work. In fact I rarely studied and did not do school work outside of school because of my focus issues...

Anyways I did my own research and grabbed a psychologist and two MD's and we worked out and are still working out the kinks on getting me focused for college. Though IQ testing is not something I particularly find a huge factor I think in my case it might be. On the Wechsler IQ test I scored average with a full score IQ of 105 average, performance IQ of 120 and a verbal IQ of 96...I think the low verbal IQ had to do with my poor math skills and untreated ADHD (had a diagnoses but I did not like stimulants). I had this all done in 2007. From my psychologist, medical doctor, and other important figures accounts my vocabulary is excellent (though I do have bad grammar!:eek:) and they usually comment on my solid judgement, critical thinking and knowledge capacity. My psychologist has doubts about my goals for obvious reasons but I need advice not doubts.

So that's some of my background. I want to be a physician and I'm willing to put my sanity aside for quite some time to do so. I am on Adderall now which has improved by motivation, organization and overall cognition. My plan is as followed but it has some questions in it and if you guys could answer/fill in that would be great!:):

-I'm going to a community college for two years. I will have a good support system in place and I'm going to organize myself religiously. Reason why I had poor grades allot of the time was papers and assignments turned in late which is fixable.

-In community college I'm guessing I will need to seriously kick ass in biology and chemistry. Luckily those topics are interesting to me and I scored over a 90 on both of those regents in highscool. Problem is math so I will seek tutoring for that though I still think it will remain a week point. I had allot of trouble focusing in class given I was in lower level non-regents classes with ODD type kids.

-3.6GPA? That's what I'm sort of working towards getting in community college so I can transfer somewhere a medical school will accept. Not sure on medical schools views on this though...?..

-What courses should I take over the next two years? I'm assuming basic sciences and math...?..

Now I'm not expecting to get into John Hopkins or anything (though that would be amazing) but I need some of your advice. Again I need advice not doubts. Thanks in advance....

That doesn't matter now. You're basically given a clean slate in college, take full advantage of it.

Suffer through a semester of stats and calc 1 and you're good to go, unless you plan on applying to some of the Ivies.

A lot of students take their pre-reqs at a CC. It's not too much of a big deal, but I say you should probably pull a 4.0 instead of a 3.6 :)

Year of math, Physics 1 and 2 with labs, O-Chem 1 and 2 with labs, Gen chem 1 and 2 with labs, and Bio 1 and 2 with labs. A lot of schools recommend Genetics, Physiology, Biochem (some require it), and that's basically it.

Stay focused, study hard (party harder :p) , and kill the MCAT. Good luck with everything!

Congrats on graduating! :) High school is no picnic, so props on making it out of there. Starting at a CC is a fantastic plan, and will save you money in the long run. I second the course recommendations of the previous posters. As for what to take when you transfer to a four-year institution, I would recommend some upper-division biology courses so med schools will see that you can succeed beyond the CC level. Then you would probably take most of your major classes at the college you'll graduate from.

I would take a good variety of classes at the CC so you know what you want to major in. Psychology is a great choice if you enjoy it, because it will offer you a lot of research opportunities, but definitely take a psychology course before deciding. I'd definitely take an English class or two at the CC, and some social science courses like political science, international relations, or sociology.

CCs are great schools for technical classes, so if you take an EMT or CNA course in your first year, you'll be able to get several years of valuable clinical experience. Being an EMT was what made me want to go to medical school, and I now work as a CNA which has been a transformative experience for me.

Anyway, best of luck to you! I will definitely be rooting for you.

Thanks for the information guys. It helps to know in advance exactly what I need to focus on. I'll probably focus on relieving stress this summer by screwing off a little.

-I learn best by taking notes from what the teacher is saying then going home and studying/ working off those notes and asking questions when i have trouble. Is this a good or bad thing? I figure I'll probably need to find someone with similar classes to work with to study preferably someone smarter than me but we'll see...anyone ever use this method? Also I'm concerned about organic chem...is it just a pain in the ass and requires allot of work or is it impossible?

-I are math courses full year? Just curious as full year math courses just burn me out.

-I said 3.6 so as to not come off as overly ambitious about GPA but is that low? I mean I have no problem shooting for 4.0 but what does a 4.0 "feel" like? Does that mean giving up your sanity/social life? Sorry weird questions but I like a good view before I walk into a **** storm :D :)

That doesn't matter now. You're basically given a clean slate in college, take full advantage of it.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Only two things really follow you from high school. The first thing is, arguably, which college you attend (or at least start at) for undergrad; some people may make some inferences about this, be they right or wrong. Medical schools do not ask for or receive your high school grades, though, so those potential inferences are truly just that.

Medical schools will also see information on any AP credits that you ultimately received college/university credit for (they'll see the name of the course that the college/university gave you credit for, and a designation that says you did it as AP work in high school) and any college/university courses that you took while in high school. Otherwise, you're free from your past.

Make the most of this! I was a fairly average student in high school, and I became much more serious in college. I've come a very long way as a result.

Best of luck to you. Reach for the stars.

All colleges accept physics and orgo from a CC, that is a false statement. CC's share the same basic accrediation that allows them to offer the classes in the first place. They are to the same standard as any other university, at least the ones I've attended.

On that note I would advise to take similar semesters to what you would take if you attended a university out of the gates. I think some of the smarter people choose a CC initially because its cheaper for one, a lot cheaper, but also has more flexible course scheduling in the evening and even sometimes on weekends to facilitate working 40+ work weeks and really driving home EC's while you have the ability to in what is generally your easier half of your degree.

I would advise to get rid of, gen chem I and II, bio I and II, physics I and II, I would like to see you get rid of calc I and II as well though many med schools do not require a full year of calc any more so you may have lucked out on that front if you choose to just do the precalc + calc, but in addition to those classes be sure to take full course loads with gen ed requirements as you would with any 1-2 year 4 year program; feel free to pick up orgo's in the mix if you'd like. I generally suggest orgo at yoru 4 year university though after you transfer ONLY because they generally have access to larger labs and more materials to allow for a better learning experience, up to you because it makes no difference to AAMC. Reap the rewards of being a smarter student and saving money and maximizing your time.

Congrats on your high school graduation!

Don't worry about your grades from high school, college will be a fresh start. I didn't do well in high school, I barely passed so many of my classes but I excelled in college once I got past my freshman year.

When registering for your classes, don't try to cram too much into one semester. Spread out your sciences with your general ed requirements, too much too soon is not going to do your GPA any good. Its also false information that schools don't accept sciences from community colleges. If you think about it, students are taking the MCAT junior year so they must have taken the prereq sciences freshman and sophomore year in order to get them done before. Whether you take them at a 4 year school or 2 year school before that point does not matter.

Most importantly, enjoy your college years. Of course keep your grades up, but make friends, go to parties and have a good time.

Thanks for the information guys. It helps to know in advance exactly what I need to focus on. I'll probably focus on relieving stress this summer by screwing off a little.

-I learn best by taking notes from what the teacher is saying then going home and studying/ working off those notes and asking questions when i have trouble. Is this a good or bad thing? I figure I'll probably need to find someone with similar classes to work with to study preferably someone smarter than me but we'll see...anyone ever use this method? Also I'm concerned about organic chem...is it just a pain in the ass and requires allot of work or is it impossible?

-I are math courses full year? Just curious as full year math courses just burn me out.

-I said 3.6 so as to not come off as overly ambitious about GPA but is that low? I mean I have no problem shooting for 4.0 but what does a 4.0 "feel" like? Does that mean giving up your sanity/social life? Sorry weird questions but I like a good view before I walk into a **** storm :D :)

I find reviewing my notes like this is a perfect stratagy for me, but everyone learns differently. Generally math classes (and all classes) are semester long. Shoot for the 4.0!!!!

That being said, you do have one major challenge. Though I am not an Aspie, my boyfriend, brother, and cousin are. I took Intro to Psych with my bf, and he struggled. When he didn't understand something he wasn't interested in he found it impossible to study. He scraped a D in that class. He then took the EMT-B class with me and excelled. He hated and often blew off the reading, but would eat up anything anyone said about EMS. He Aced the class. Moral of the story is that playing to your interests and strengths are VERY important.

Unfortunately, there are going to be some classes you HAVE to take but don't want to. My advice is to take full advantage of your disablity servces department. Look to see if your school has a Trio department. These often provide professional tutoring for free. Professional often means professors who teach the courses! Having an appointment will motivate you to go, and having the one on one can help keep you focused-often leaving a one hour appointment with all the work/studying you need to get you through the next class period. Study groups may be helpful, but they can also be very distracting.

Disablity servces often have other benfits, such as late withdrawl, and help with getting reasonle accomdations with Professors. While colleges don't have to follow IEPs or the like, you can often get the extras you need (extended test time, testing in a seporate room, a note taker, etc).

Most importantly of all, remember that you can do it. College is hard! But keep on working through it. I think you can do it!:luck:

Do you have a plan for how you are going to avoid making the same mistakes? It's generally not enough to just say, "Well, I didn't turn homework in on time high-school, but when I get to college I won't do that anymore!" If you were disorganized in high-school, unless you make and execute a plan for how you are going to change, you will be disorganized in college as well; it's generally not possible to just flip a switch and have good study habits. Maybe spend a little bit of time during the summer to come up with a system, that way you can hit the ground running once school starts.

I only offer this advice because I think it is a pitfall that many freshmen fall into...myself included.

Don't worry, it's a great question. I don't think shooting for 4.0 will mean no social life. It will take a hit for sure, which someone as young as you may not appreciate. If your goal is to go to med school though, you should not have trouble dealing with the fact you have to be in the books more often than not. Anyway, if you have anxieties like me about these things, you want to be in your books! You don't want to leave your grades in the hands of chance (easy or hard test that day, etc).

The taking control feeling is great. If you are young and can manage all that, that is more power to you and truly great. I had to do a full BSc to realize I was not working hard enough. Now I am doing a BA and have learned my lesson. Work hard, and for the social, I am sure you can meet people like you who need to work hard. Try to keep in contact with those people as a support network.

Basically though, when you are going for a 4.0, the definition of a social life changes. You become more independent, so need less of it.

Good luck! :xf::love::luck:

edit: Sorry, final thing. There is no such thing as aiming for 3.6. Either you aim at nothing or you aim at 4.0. Just do your best! 4.0 is very difficult especially in a hard program, it is maybe impossible. IT is just an ideal goal but the one that must stay in your head. If you aim lower, you might underachieve in courses you could have gotten an A in.

Do you have a plan for how you are going to avoid making the same mistakes? It's generally not enough to just say, "Well, I didn't turn homework in on time high-school, but when I get to college I won't do that anymore!" If you were disorganized in high-school, unless you make and execute a plan for how you are going to change, you will be disorganized in college as well; it's generally not possible to just flip a switch and have good study habits. Maybe spend a little bit of time during the summer to come up with a system, that way you can hit the ground running once school starts.

I only offer this advice because I think it is a pitfall that many freshmen fall into...myself included.
Yeah I'm seeing a psychologist who's given a good amount of advice on organization, I'm using the schools disability office (I don't feel "disabled" but I guess its fine) and I'll be away from my mother who is not the most helpful in terms of anxiety.

I find reviewing my notes like this is a perfect stratagy for me, but everyone learns differently. Generally math classes (and all classes) are semester long. Shoot for the 4.0!!!!

That being said, you do have one major challenge. Though I am not an Aspie, my boyfriend, brother, and cousin are. I took Intro to Psych with my bf, and he struggled. When he didn't understand something he wasn't interested in he found it impossible to study. He scraped a D in that class. He then took the EMT-B class with me and excelled. He hated and often blew off the reading, but would eat up anything anyone said about EMS. He Aced the class. Moral of the story is that playing to your interests and strengths are VERY important.

Unfortunately, there are going to be some classes you HAVE to take but don't want to. My advice is to take full advantage of your disablity servces department. Look to see if your school has a Trio department. These often provide professional tutoring for free. Professional often means professors who teach the courses! Having an appointment will motivate you to go, and having the one on one can help keep you focused-often leaving a one hour appointment with all the work/studying you need to get you through the next class period. Study groups may be helpful, but they can also be very distracting.

Disablity servces often have other benfits, such as late withdrawl, and help with getting reasonle accomdations with Professors. While colleges don't have to follow IEPs or the like, you can often get the extras you need (extended test time, testing in a seporate room, a note taker, etc).

Most importantly of all, remember that you can do it. College is hard! But keep on working through it. I think you can do it!:luck:
Thanks that was a really helpful post. I can definitely take allot out of it!

Don't worry, it's a great question. I don't think shooting for 4.0 will mean no social life. It will take a hit for sure, which someone as young as you may not appreciate. If your goal is to go to med school though, you should not have trouble dealing with the fact you have to be in the books more often than not. Anyway, if you have anxieties like me about these things, you want to be in your books! You don't want to leave your grades in the hands of chance (easy or hard test that day, etc).

The taking control feeling is great. If you are young and can manage all that, that is more power to you and truly great. I had to do a full BSc to realize I was not working hard enough. Now I am doing a BA and have learned my lesson. Work hard, and for the social, I am sure you can meet people like you who need to work hard. Try to keep in contact with those people as a support network.

Basically though, when you are going for a 4.0, the definition of a social life changes. You become more independent, so need less of it.

Good luck! :xf::love::luck:

edit: Sorry, final thing. There is no such thing as aiming for 3.6. Either you aim at nothing or you aim at 4.0. Just do your best! 4.0 is very difficult especially in a hard program, it is maybe impossible. IT is just an ideal goal but the one that must stay in your head. If you aim lower, you might underachieve in courses you could have gotten an A in.
Ok thanks! I definitely am planning on really grabbing studying and course work by the horns so to speak. I think I can do well if I get my organization and focus down as I never usually have trouble understanding things unless I just wasn't there.

Wow this is a great website for advice/support. I've never seen so many actual students with solid advise I usually am used to what my guidance counselors or fellow students say (usually not the greatest) which I take with a grain of salt but still.

Keep yourself motivated. I was a lazy underachiever in high school (GPA <3.0, <1000 math/reading on the new SAT) and I'm doing just fine in college. It really sucks studying when all you want to do is scream WHO FREAKING CARES ABOUT THIS BORING CRAP and light the book on fire, but if you want to get into medical school and be a doctor you have to fight through it.

Yeah I'm seeing a psychologist who's given a good amount of advice on organization, I'm using the schools disability office (I don't feel "disabled" but I guess its fine) and I'll be away from my mother who is not the most helpful in terms of anxiety.

It is not about feeling disabled, it is about turning a disablity into an ability :D