Uneasy Applicant, should I retake some courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWorried

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
- Your MCAT is not unbalanced. It's fine and would be considered "balanced."
- If you can retake Orgo 1, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
- List seems decent. Apply to more schools. There's no harm in applying to 2 super-reach schools.

Agree with solitarius' post. Add some more schools using the MSAR. and I maybe wrong, but don't all schools require a C or better on prereqs? If that's the case you obviously need to retake orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're URM, I think you would be wasting your money applying to Howard because they're HBC. Other than that, I think you look very good. I recommend getting the MSAR and adding more schools to your list.

MCAT is too low for Stanford or Yale, so try some good medium tier schools instead, like Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, or Pitt. Your MCAT is NOT imbalanced; it would be an act of hubris to retake. I don't think it's worth retaking the Orgo I either. they'll ask about it at interviews, but be prepared.

If you're not a URM, do your homework about Howard.

Suggest adding more schools to the list. I'd include: Einstein, BU, Tufts, Mt Sinai, Wake-Forest, U WVa if you're from rural VA, all schools in Chicago except U Chi and U ILL, all schools in PA except Penn, NYMC, Albany, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, MCW and SLU

Yale (Ha...Ha)
Stanford (Ha..Ha)
UVA
Georgetown
VTech Carillion
VCU
GW
EVMS
Howard

Please let me know if I need to rework my list. I was in a guaranteed admissions program at my school right now, but decided it was not for me, so I dropped out of it recently, and am like a fish out of water, don't understand what to do and where to go, so any help is very appreciated![/quote]

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding your MCAT being unbalanced, (as others have noted) that isn't the case at all. Your sciences are solid and VR being so strong will actually help you stand out at research institutions. I imagine your PS will be great; having a special essay will be one way to really enhance your application for your reach schools. Good luck and keep us posted!