United Kingdom c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beckett

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would get this thread started since they're being started for other schools.

:luck::luck: everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying to Glasgow!

I am finally at this point very excited yet scared.:scared::woot:

I'm applying to Edinburgh, RVC, and Glasgow! :soexcited:

I'm super excited and can't wait for the application process to be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Scotland hopefuls:

hump-dar-9.jpg

For the Scotland hopefuls:

hump-dar-9.jpg

You know the funny part about this? My friend brought his son to grad ball the other night...and it was pretty much this exact picture....

Also..yay UK peeps! I'm in my final year now...but still sort of remember applying ;). Any questions about Glasgow, shoot em my way. :)

Also a final year, but at RVC. I can answer general questions about the school...but requirements seem to have changed since I applied, so I'm not too knowledgeable about that stuff. Good luck!!

Also a final year, but at RVC. I can answer general questions about the school...but requirements seem to have changed since I applied, so I'm not too knowledgeable about that stuff. Good luck!!

That is really cool!! I'm assuming you are in the accelerated 4 year program? Did u find that the first year was mostly review stuff from undergrad? Just wondering :) thanks! I'm also wondering about housing.. it seems to me so far that living on campus is the cheaper option, were you in college grove/mary brancker? I also considered the idea of living in the student village in potters bar for the 4 years, and just taking the train everyday for the first day :confused:

Thanks!!

I had a question as well regarding RVC. My ultimate goal is to become a board-certified veterinary surgeon. Do you get a lot of surgical experience at RVC? Not necessarily complicated surgeries, but the same amount that a US school would offer (ex. neuters, OHEs)?

Thank you!

I had a question as well regarding RVC. My ultimate goal is to become a board-certified veterinary surgeon. Do you get a lot of surgical experience at RVC? Not necessarily complicated surgeries, but the same amount that a US school would offer (ex. neuters, OHEs)?

Thank you!

The beauty of EMS.

26 weeks of clinical experience you must fulfill to graduate outside of school...and it can be in whatever you want. Many people go to places like Malta and Cyprus and work at spay/neuter clinics for a few weeks. Most practices in the UK are used to vet students needing EMS, and are usually quite willing to let you do a lot more. So yes...you can get the experience you need :)

I haven't been on here in a while due to life happening (finishing my last month at work, applying for my visa, getting ready to move in a couple of months, etc... :eek:), but I'd be happy to answer questions! I'll be starting at Edinburgh in September. I can answer questions about the application process for now and will be glad to answer more about the school once I'm there. I *did* visit both Edinburgh and Glasgow in the spring, so I might be able to answer a few questions about the cities, schools, etc. But shortnsweet is definitely a great person to ask about Glasgow! And DVMDream and bigkittinteef are helpful for questions about Edinburgh!

Is anyone applying to Dublin?

The beauty of EMS.

26 weeks of clinical experience you must fulfill to graduate outside of school...and it can be in whatever you want. Many people go to places like Malta and Cyprus and work at spay/neuter clinics for a few weeks. Most practices in the UK are used to vet students needing EMS, and are usually quite willing to let you do a lot more. So yes...you can get the experience you need :)

Thank you! Your response was very helpful :). RVC looks like an amazing vet school to attend!

Thank you! Your response was very helpful :). RVC looks like an amazing vet school to attend!

No worries. Lei can answer more RVC specific questions, but for the most part the UK schools work similarly :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been on here in a while due to life happening (finishing my last month at work, applying for my visa, getting ready to move in a couple of months, etc... :eek:), but I'd be happy to answer questions! I'll be starting at Edinburgh in September. I can answer questions about the application process for now and will be glad to answer more about the school once I'm there. I *did* visit both Edinburgh and Glasgow in the spring, so I might be able to answer a few questions about the cities, schools, etc. But shortnsweet is definitely a great person to ask about Glasgow! And DVMDream and bigkittinteef are helpful for questions about Edinburgh!

When are you moving to Scotland??? :)

this would be the wrong thread for it if they were.....

this is the UK thread.... Dublin is in the EU.....

bastards always forget about us..... :p

Have you watched Junior Vets? I feel like I met some of those Dubliners at AVS...

When are you moving to Scotland??? :)

September 3rd or 4th! I've been renting a flat from the beginning of June and my flatmates will both be there (one is there already and the other moves over at the beginning of August), so I feel like I'm going so late. But I want all the time I can get with my family and the dogs before I leave... mostly the dogs. (I can talk to my family online. The dogs, not so much).

I'M SO EXCITED! Are you in the states right now? When will you be (back) in Edinburgh?

September 3rd or 4th! I've been renting a flat from the beginning of June and my flatmates will both be there (one is there already and the other moves over at the beginning of August), so I feel like I'm going so late. But I want all the time I can get with my family and the dogs before I leave... mostly the dogs. (I can talk to my family online. The dogs, not so much).

I'M SO EXCITED! Are you in the states right now? When will you be (back) in Edinburgh?

I am in Edinburgh until the 15th of August then I will be back in Edinburgh on the 12th/13th (?) of September. :)

Did anyone applying to Glasgow or Edinburgh email admissions to see if they received your application? I emailed undergraduate admissions of the vet school at edinburgh and have not gotten a response. I was just wondering if anyone knew the best email to either school them at. Thanks!

Applied to Glasgow on a little bit of a whim...but I know someone there who started last year and she absolutely loves it. We'll see how it goes... :xf: :luck:

Did anyone applying to Glasgow or Edinburgh email admissions to see if they received your application? I emailed undergraduate admissions of the vet school at edinburgh and have not gotten a response. I was just wondering if anyone knew the best email to either school them at. Thanks!

Joyce Wason is the best person to ask for Glasgow.

Also...erhmergerd you guys...I won't be here when the next class arrives...holy moly that went fast!:eek:

I'm applying to both (as well as the RVC). I emailed the glasgow generic address [email protected] about some of my application documents a couple days ago and got a response from Jill Kerr fairly quickly. I also emailed the Edinburgh generic email, but no response yet.. Last summer when I was thinking about submitting a late app to Edinburgh, I was in email contact with Geraldine Giannopoulos, but don't know if she'd be the right contact now.

Urgent question! I was just looking at RVC's admission's page and saw an urgent message to applicants:

D100/D101/D102 - URGENT
Any applicants to the above courses who have not submitted work experience forms must do so immediately. Please click on work experience forms to download. Completed forms can be faxed to 020 7468 5311. (The form is due by October 15th)

The D100/D102 are the BVetMed and Accelerated BVetMed courses. The form itself asks for your name and UCAS number (nowhere did I find an area for VMCAS ID to be entered).
It says that all applicants must complete the form, but nowhere under the North American student's page does it mention the form (though it does mention work experience).
Here is the North American college student page: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/International/Country/NA_VMCASApplicants.cfm

They also mention that there is no supplementary application for the VMCAS.

I guess my question is: Did any North American students fill out this form or does it not apply to us because of the information provided in the VMCAS? I've been looking at the North American info page so I never saw this until today :eek:

Urgent question! I was just looking at RVC's admission's page and saw an urgent message to applicants:

D100/D101/D102 - URGENT
Any applicants to the above courses who have not submitted work experience forms must do so immediately. Please click on work experience forms to download. Completed forms can be faxed to 020 7468 5311. (The form is due by October 15th)

The D100/D102 are the BVetMed and Accelerated BVetMed courses. The form itself asks for your name and UCAS number (nowhere did I find an area for VMCAS ID to be entered).
It says that all applicants must complete the form, but nowhere under the North American student's page does it mention the form (though it does mention work experience).
Here is the North American college student page: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/International/Country/NA_VMCASApplicants.cfm

They also mention that there is no supplementary application for the VMCAS.

I guess my question is: Did any North American students fill out this form or does it not apply to us because of the information provided in the VMCAS? I've been looking at the North American info page so I never saw this until today :eek:

that's just for the UK students. UCAS is the portal through which students over here apply to university, much like VMCAS.

no need to panic!
;)

That is really cool!! I'm assuming you are in the accelerated 4 year program? Did u find that the first year was mostly review stuff from undergrad? Just wondering :) thanks! I'm also wondering about housing.. it seems to me so far that living on campus is the cheaper option, were you in college grove/mary brancker? I also considered the idea of living in the student village in potters bar for the 4 years, and just taking the train everyday for the first day :confused:

Thanks!!

First year (graduate year) was a bit of review, but we went into much greater detail than I did in any other class (except one). I found it pretty stressful for the first year, but after that you enter into the 3rd year, and it isn't quite so bad.

Live in Camden; I was in College Grove (which is next to the school buildings), and Mary B. is about a 15 minute walk to campus. If you can get College Grove, go for it. It's all typical dorm housing (not super nice) but it's worth it to basically be living in central London. St Pancras is close, there's 3 tube stations nearby...it's just so much better to do that then go to PB first. If you don't mind living in student housing, do it. It makes life a lot easier when you don't have to worry about land lords and house stuff.

Sorry I took forever to get back to you! Rotations are pretty time consuming.

that's just for the UK students. UCAS is the portal through which students over here apply to university, much like VMCAS.

no need to panic!
;)

Thank you! Panic attack averted :p I feel much better now.

Hi everyone! I'm also applying to Edinburgh (and Ireland). Great to meet others who are going through the same process as me right now!

I only applied to Glasgow this year and happily got an interview invite. I like the fact that they are quick to get invites out, but it sucks that they aren't till February. Makes me nervous :scared:

I just got accepted into the 5-year program at Edinburgh!!! I'm so excited!!! I was wondering if you are doing the 4-year graduate entry or the 5-year program... I was hoping to get into the 4-year program because I already have a BA and have completed (and did well in) a postbacc pre-med program. Taking an extra year for vet school (and spending an extra $50,000) is rough. Do you know if anyone in your class from the US decided to do the 5-year program even though they have an undergraduate degree?

Ok so I have a question. I was accepted today into Edinburgh's 4 year program (yay!) and there is a reception in NYC on Feb. 8 (saturday). I have an interview for Glasgow on Feb. 13 (thursday), which would mean I have to fly to NYC twice in one week. This is a little expensive and I would have to miss more classes. Glasgow initially said they would be in NYC from the 10-13 and I chose the 13 myself. Would it be very rude to ask if there was anyway to move my interview to monday the 10? I have had this interview set up for over a month so I feel like it's strange to ask to move it, but I really don't know if I can afford to fly there twice so close together. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Ok so I have a question. I was accepted today into Edinburgh's 4 year program (yay!) and there is a reception in NYC on Feb. 8 (saturday). I have an interview for Glasgow on Feb. 13 (thursday), which would mean I have to fly to NYC twice in one week. This is a little expensive and I would have to miss more classes. Glasgow initially said they would be in NYC from the 10-13 and I chose the 13 myself. Would it be very rude to ask if there was anyway to move my interview to monday the 10? I have had this interview set up for over a month so I feel like it's strange to ask to move it, but I really don't know if I can afford to fly there twice so close together. Any advice would be appreciated :)

They might be all booked up on the 10th, but I don't think it would be rude to ask?

If they can't manage to change it....It isn't required you go to the Edinburgh reception, is it? I mean it would be nice, but I would probably choose the interview over the reception if I had to.

They might be all booked up on the 10th, but I don't think it would be rude to ask?

If they can't manage to change it....It isn't required you go to the Edinburgh reception, is it? I mean it would be nice, but I would probably choose the interview over the reception if I had to.

Nope, not required to go to the reception. I didn't as I had to save money for other interviews. :)

Congrats on all of the acceptances everyone! Like DVMDream, I am happy to answer questions about Dick Vet. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted into the 5-year program at Edinburgh!!! I'm so excited!!! I was wondering if you are doing the 4-year graduate entry or the 5-year program... I was hoping to get into the 4-year program because I already have a BA and have completed (and did well in) a postbacc pre-med program. Taking an extra year for vet school (and spending an extra $50,000) is rough. Do you know if anyone in your class from the US decided to do the 5-year program even though they have an undergraduate degree?
There are quite a few North American students in the 5 year program with related degrees. I know one American in particular chose the 5 year program over the 4 year program. That said, everyone has a different financial situation. Some students have to pay for everything while other students have family/spouses to help cover the costs of vet school. Taking an extra year adds significant financial burden and should be taken seriously. If you get an offer in a 4 year program, I would definitely consider it. That said, Edinburgh's a great school with a fantastic reputation so I wouldn't dismiss the idea of accepting a spot in the 5 year program. :)

There are quite a few North American students in the 5 year program with related degrees. I know one American in particular chose the 5 year program over the 4 year program. That said, everyone has a different financial situation. Some students have to pay for everything while other students have family/spouses to help cover the costs of vet school. Taking an extra year adds significant financial burden and should be taken seriously. If you get an offer in a 4 year program, I would definitely consider it. That said, Edinburgh's a great school with a fantastic reputation so I wouldn't dismiss the idea of accepting a spot in the 5 year program. :)
Thanks for responding! I agree with what you said. I plan on taking everything (program fit, cost, location) into consideration when I make my decision. :)

Like DVMDream said, reception attendance (while very enjoyable) is not crucial in any way. I would politely ask if the interview can be moved, and if it can't be, go to the interview. However, if you know that you're not likely to attend Glasgow (5 year program vs. 4 year program), it might be worth going to the reception instead. :)

I got my 4 year GEP acceptance to Edinburgh yesterday, too! It definitely made finals week a whole lot better!!! :love:

Thanks, bigkittinteef!

Did you go to college in the US? If you did, was it difficult to transition over to Scotland? I'm incredibly excited and nervous at the same time haha.