University of British Columbia (UBC) Pharmacy Class of 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I applied to UBC as well! I really wish they would post interview dates soon! I also don't know if I have a shot at UBC, my GPA isn't stellar, but I think I have a pretty decent PCAT... :nailbiting:
They have confirmed that the interviews will be on May 3rd and 4th! ... and we should be getting emails about them in early April..... it's coming up..

Members don't see this ad.

They have confirmed that the interviews will be on May 3rd and 4th! ... and we should be getting emails about them in early April..... it's coming up..
Wow... That's actually coming up pretty soon!! Thanks for the heads up :)

Hey guys, I applied to UBC as well! I really wish they would post interview dates soon! I also don't know if I have a shot at UBC, my GPA isn't stellar, but I think I have a pretty decent PCAT... :nailbiting:

No need to be stellar, just good enough to be in the top 224! Welcome to the forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

How early is "early April" for interview invitations? Is it sometime in the first week? Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

Anyone want to practice for the MMIs? Let's organize something :)

Yes, I would love to practice for the MMI with some of you :) how are you guys planning to prep for it?

Yes, I would love to practice for the MMI with some of you :) how are you guys planning to prep for it?
I'm not sure :/ !! should we get together and go over practice questions?

Hey everyone,

How early is "early April" for interview invitations? Is it sometime in the first week? Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

I'm assuming they are going to send out invitations this week. If I remember correctly, last year the people who received an invitation for MMI had about a month to prepare for it? (I think)

Also, to the people asking about practice MMI, let's organize something! :D Should we wait 'til they email us first, though?

Haha, thank you! :)

That's pretty much what I did for the U of T MMIs. Where are you guys from? o:
I'm from Vancouver :)

Also, to the people asking about practice MMI, let's organize something! :D Should we wait 'til they email us first, though?
For sure haha I just don't like how the month to get prepared for the interviews overlap with our finals :/

Sounds like a great idea to practice some MMI's :D I would love to join if someone sets something up! Hopefully they send out invites soon... I can't be the only one nervously checking my email every day right :S?

I'm from Vancouver :)
Nice! Getting together to prepare for the MMIs would be pretty hard though, seeing as I'm in Ontario! xD

Sounds like a great idea to practice some MMI's :D I would love to join if someone sets something up! Hopefully they send out invites soon... I can't be the only one nervously checking my email every day right :S?
I'm eagerly awaiting emails to be sent out as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Today is April 2nd, did anyone get an email abt the interview? I didn't get any though:(

Still no email. I'm contemplating emailing someone just to satisfy all of our curiosity!

Still no email. I'm contemplating emailing someone just to satisfy all of our curiosity!

Don't get too anxious yet LOLOL :). They said on the blog that they are expecting to receive the list of admissions averages sometime this week, and emails will be sent out soon after. It's only April 2nd so it's still very early; hopefully we'll know by the end of next week!

Looks like they're beginning to roll out interview invites! Good Luck Everyone!

Got my invite! Good luck everyone. I'll be flying in from Quebec. $$$$ T_T

yh! got an interview invite!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Good luck everyone! Hopefully by next week, we can set up a practice MMI session :D

Got my invite too! Would anyone be interested in practicing sometime next week?

Invite arrived early this morning, we are one step closer guys! I'm down for some mock interviews

Congratulations everyone :)
I would definitely recommend meeting up with others to do mock MMIs.
I found that super helpful last year as it's the best way to provide and get feedback on your interview style/strengths/weaknesses.

Congratulations everyone! I haven't heard back from UBC yet, but they said they're doing it in batches, so there's still hope for anyone who hasn't gotten an email yet! :)

Congratulations everyone! I haven't heard back from UBC yet, but they said they're doing it in batches, so there's still hope for anyone who hasn't gotten an email yet! :)

That's the spirit!

Anyone available to do a casual MMI next week Wednesday (April 9th)?

Got my invitation in this early morning! Congrats everyone! I would definitely like to have a practice MMI but there are a lot of final exams coming up in the next couple weeks:(

That's the spirit!

Anyone available to do a casual MMI next week Wednesday (April 9th)?
Hi, I would like to be a part of this as well! Where are you guys thinking of arranging these meetings?
At UBC or?

Since posting on this thread seems like a pain to create meetings and what not I quickly made a facebook page so you can just post where and when you want to have a practice MMI and anyone who wants to join can simply comment that way its easier to keep track of things. https://www.facebook.com/groups/234524753410818/

Hi everyone. Congratulations to the people who've gotten an invitation. And good luck to everyone that's waiting. There's still time!

I was wondering if I could join the MMI practice group if there's still space available.

Hi everyone. Congratulations to the people who've gotten an invitation. And good luck to everyone that's waiting. There's still time!

I was wondering if I could join the MMI practice group if there's still space available.

Refer to the posting above by Duskz (if you do not have Facebook, feel free to post on this forum instead. I'm sure that many of your possible future classmates wouldn't mind!)

Refer to the posting above by Duskz (if you do not have Facebook, feel free to post on this forum instead. I'm sure that many of your possible future classmates wouldn't mind!)
Do you think you can put the link to your first post that way more people can see it and not scroll past it :D.

How are you guys preparing for the interview? Other than the mock mmi

hi!
i am currently taking pre pharmacy classes at university of the fraser valley in abbotsford and i hope to apply to UBC for the 2015 intake.
In my first semester I took Bio, Chem, English, and I dropped calculus.. currently I am taking Chem, Calculus, English and Philosphy.
I will take the next Bio and Calculus 2 in the summer.. completing all my pre reqs then.
I was wondering if my course load has actually been too low and will it look bad when I apply to pharmacy? Is it a good idea to take those 2 classes in the summer?
For those of you that have applied, what have your semesters looked like? Anything similar to mine? Thank you any help is appreciated!

hi!
i am currently taking pre pharmacy classes at university of the fraser valley in abbotsford and i hope to apply to UBC for the 2015 intake.
In my first semester I took Bio, Chem, English, and I dropped calculus.. currently I am taking Chem, Calculus, English and Philosphy.
I will take the next Bio and Calculus 2 in the summer.. completing all my pre reqs then.
I was wondering if my course load has actually been too low and will it look bad when I apply to pharmacy? Is it a good idea to take those 2 classes in the summer?
For those of you that have applied, what have your semesters looked like? Anything similar to mine? Thank you any help is appreciated!

Please note the proposed changes to the current program for future applicants (as it pertains to the E2P PharmD program for September 2015 admission and beyond). If those courses you have provided are the only ones you have planned on completing, you will very likely not meet the minimum requirements to apply for a spot in the program.

For more information, please visit the Faculty website or have a quick look at the FAQ page here: http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/sites/pharmacy.ubc.ca/files/E2P PharmD FAQ_UBCPS.pdf

(In general, you should try and push yourself as much as possible in terms of academic work. The majority of current students are 'required' to take up to 8 courses per term on the assumption that the goal is to graduate within 4 years (again, this won't be applicable to students after this year's admissions).)

Last edited:
Please note the proposed changes to the current program for future applicants (as it pertains to the E2P PharmD program for September 2015 admission and beyond). If those courses you have provided are the only ones you have planned on completing, you will very likely not meet the minimum requirements to apply for a spot in the program.

For more information, please visit the Faculty website or have a quick look at the FAQ page here: http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/sites/pharmacy.ubc.ca/files/E2P PharmD FAQ_UBCPS.pdf

(In general, you should try and push yourself as much as possible in terms of academic work. The majority of current students are 'required' to take up to 8 courses per term on the assumption that the goal is to graduate within 4 years (again, this won't be applicable to students after this year's admissions).)

aah :O okay thanks

Does anyone know if that was all the interviews sent out?

Does anyone know if that was all the interviews sent out?
I don't think so. I emailed them last week and they said even if you don't get an interview, they would still notify you. Seeing as I have received neither a rejection nor a invite, I'm assuming not.

Hi guy's I'm new to this thread and just wanted to help clarify any questions people had. I've also applied to pharm this year I'm a third year ubc student. I have a lot of friends that are currently in the ubc pharm program and this is essentially what they told me. In terms of GPA a lot of people in their class had around a 70-80 average with around 70-80 on the pcat as an overall score. Of course this depends on the cohort that 's applying but they've told me it's around the same for other years to. If you are considered for an interview your GPA is no longer taken into consideration they'll only focus on the interview and how you did on that. For some individuals who did bad first year and don't have great marks, they look at the entire transcript so if you've done good in your third year and the courses that they use to look at your gpa it does help you out a little bit. And in terms of your application your resume, work experience, and other things help out greatly so even if your grades aren't great you still have a chance if they see that you are really involved in the community etc... And for the 2015 program they will no longer require the pcat and physics just because they're shifting towards the pharm D. I have been told that they will cut down the number of seats in 2015 to around 100ish and people will generally have to finish biochem and other courses in order to apply. Those first two years essentially count towards courses that would be in the pharm D program. And lastly for people who do get in in 2014 they will be offered a chance to spend two more years to get their pharm D through a program that they currently have. Hopefully this helps answer some questions anyone may have and this is all just from my friends in the program and hasn't been confirmed by anyone who is part of the selection committe so take it in stride. Good-luck to everyone who applied.

Current first year Pharm student at UBC. Most peoples GPA's coming in were over 80%. Most PCAT scores were within 5% of 90. The stats you posted are significantly lower than what it actually takes to get in on average after speaking with my classmates, and with what is posted on the website. Your GPA is still considered after the interview as far as we were told. As explicitly stated on the site, all the grades come from the pre-reqs, you can't really redeem yourself with good third year grades. EC's are INCREDIBLY important. We've heard nothing about them cutting down the number of seats, as far as we know it will remain at 224 or whatever it currently is (as part of the governments mandate for funding the new building the was to produce more students.) The pharmD two more years this is incredibly incorrect and they don't even know how they're doing it yet. In prelim meetings (which they've been having throughout the year) what they've told us is that they will accept ~20 students a year from all classes/graduates into the first upgrade course.

Has anyone heard anything about Dr. Astroff's interview prep sessions? I'm considering doing it, but I'm hesitant on spending that much money if it's not worth it.

-----

Last edited: