University of Houston C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received mine about three weeks before my interview. They will give you 1 week to complete it.
I received mine about three weeks before my interview. They will give you 1 week to complete it.
I am sorry can I ask you one more question?
How long should the pre-interview questionaire are? How many pagragraph did you write for each question? Thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry can I ask you one more question?
How long should the pre-interview questionaire are? How many pagragraph did you write for each question? Thank you very much for your help.

There were about 10 pages of questions. My adobe program limited my words so for most of them I just wrote until it wouldn't let me write anymore (i.e. about 1-2 long paragraphs).

After tons of research, I actually know quite a lot about the program (and I have some acquaintances that are P2s.) I'm not sure exactly what you want to know. The actual curriculum for what classes you will take and when is posted on the webstite pharmacy.uh.edu under current students. Yes there are tons of application practices that go along with the curriculum. We will have skills labs that take place I believe on Friday mornings where they divide us up in 4 groups, and we practice things like blood pressure as well as testing cholesterol and glucose. You need a certain number of hours your first year for these kinds of things so lots of P1s attend local health fairs and do basic screenings on weekends. Second semester we will have compounding. We go down to PCCA a couple of times and actually compound all sorts of things like capsules, suppositories, gels, creams, etc. After the first year, over the summer you can choose to do the immunization certification program where they teach you how to administer vaccines. After that, your second year you can attend the health fairs and flu clinics and actually administer the vaccines yourself. We will continue to have skills labs all throughout the first three years. In the third year, we have an IV lab where they teach us how to compound IV using aseptic technique following the USP 797 standards. Also, third year we take physical assessment where you learn how to do a physical exam and what those findings may mean to a pharmacist and drug therapy.

All throughout the first three years there are tons of actual hands-on activities and labs that we will do. Those are the ones that come to mind now, but I know there are lots more. These are on top of IPPE and APPE rotations where we will actually go a pharmacy and work as an intern, basically doing everything except the final verification. These start the summer after our P2 year.

I hope that answered your question!
You definitely answered some of my questions! Some programs have their students work in sheltered environment such as working on simulated mannequins that emulate real responses and interactions to they way how you handle a situation. Professors in these programs are able to teach the students by controlling these mannequins and the students are observed before they have a chance to participate in all sorts of APPE. In additions, some programs hire actors to come in to act as patients. Professors train the actors and allow you to experience and a chance to deal with different types of patients and understanding the best way to approach a problem or specific patient. I find these aspects of these other programs very appealing and find it a very good approach to have students understand how to be professional and see themselves and learn from actual experience. I was wondering of UHCOP had a similar approach in their program. Majority of the schools I have researched and interviewed at has had something like this integrated into their curriculum. Can anyone shed some light on this as well? Thanks Again ROMANIANGIRL!

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely answered some of my questions! Some programs have their students work in sheltered environment such as working on simulated mannequins that emulate real responses and interactions to they way how you handle a situation. Professors in these programs are able to teach the students by controlling these mannequins and the students are observed before they have a chance to participate in all sorts of APPE. In additions, some programs hire actors to come in to act as patients. Professors train the actors and allow you to experience and a chance to deal with different types of patients and understanding the best way to approach a problem or specific patient. I find these aspects of these other programs very appealing and find it a very good approach to have students understand how to be professional and see themselves and learn from actual experience. I was wondering of UHCOP had a similar approach in their program. Majority of the schools I have researched and interviewed at has had something like this integrated into their curriculum. Can anyone shed some light on this as well? Thanks Again ROMANIANGIRL!

As far as I know, I don't believe there are any simulations in terms of trained actors or mannequins. In the first year, during the pharmacy practice class, we will be tested on actual patient counseling but I think the "actors" are either professors or possibly post-graduate students. As far as mannequins, I do know that when we learn how to administer immunizations, we first practice on a tomato :) then we begin practicing on each other. I have actually never heard of a program that had simulations like you described, but that does seem like an interesting approach.

I have a question regarding the supplemental app. What is the status of the residency? Mine is undetermined on PharmCAS. Does it mean there is something missing in my application.

Mine also says undetermined, but I had made a mistake in my supplemental. They asked me to resubmit my supplemental, but haven't changed the status at all.

I have a question regarding the supplemental app. What is the status of the residency? Mine is undetermined on PharmCAS. Does it mean there is something missing in my application.
I think it says Undetermined until it goes through the people who determine it. I called about that a few weeks ago.

I think it says Undetermined until it goes through the people who determine it. I called about that a few weeks ago.
Thanks. Looks like we applied same schools, lol.
Which school do you want to go to?

Thanks. Looks like we applied same schools, lol.
Which school do you want to go to?
Haha yep! Which schools are you applying to? Umm I keep going back & forth but UT and Tech are at the top of my list. I need to actually visit the schools first I think. How about you?

Haha yep! Which schools are you applying to? Umm I keep going back & forth but UT and Tech are at the top of my list. I need to actually visit the schools first I think. How about you?
UT..... Best Pharmacy School in Texas.:):highfive:
Maybe we should bump up the UT post since they started to review the applications.

Reactions: 1 users
UT..... Best Pharmacy School in Texas.:):highfive:
Maybe we should bump up the UT post since they started to review the applications.
Awesome and yeah we can. I don't think they start sending out invitations until December but every year is probably a little different with timing.

Awesome and yeah we can. I don't think they start sending out invitations until December but every year is probably a little different with timing.
That is exactly what I heard from the Admission office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Babeprecious... Hope your PCAT went well!

Reactions: 2 users
:arghh::arghh:I submited my pre-interview questionaire on nov/5. Its due on nov 7th. I have not received any confirmation email yet. Does anyone have the same issue? Im worry that they could not receive it.

It took mine about 5 days before they sent the confirmation, way after the deadline, and I was also worried they couldn't open it. Most likely, if they couldn't open it, they would have sent you an email letting you know to send it again.

Where is this statistic from?

They had it on a powerpoint on their website a few months ago. Obviously, this also includes people who only secured PRN jobs and such, so it's not a for sure full time guarantee, but it's still decent.

hi everyone! i am new to this group :)
i have my interview on nov. 21st for the UHCOPH and i was wondering how the interview went for everyone who had it in october. i am so nervous about it so i am already choking on my sentences when im practicing some of the expected questions. Any tips? I am not sure how i should answer tell me about yourself question. should i be more on the academic side and answer it with why i want to be a pharmacist or should i focus more on what i am passionate about to show them i am a well-rounded person?

congrats on those who got accepted and good luck on everyone who are interviewing or applying this year :D

i have my interview on nov. 21st for the UHCOPH and i was wondering how the interview went for everyone who had it in october. i am so nervous about it so i am already choking on my sentences when im practicing some of the expected questions. Any tips? I am not sure how i should answer tell me about yourself question. should i be more on the academic side and answer it with why i want to be a pharmacist or should i focus more on what i am passionate about to show them i am a well-rounded person?

congrats on those who got accepted and good luck on everyone who are interviewing or applying this year :D

It's totally normal to be nervous, and pretty much everyone will be nervous! For the tell me about yourself, honestly I would think that focusing on your passions and life outside of school is best. The ADCOMS will have all of your academic info like GPA and PCAT and such so they will know that you are passionate about school and academics. The interview is more to assess your personality. I talked about the country I came from and my hobbies and other talents. I then said a little bit about how I became interested in pharmacy. At the end of my interview, my last questions was why do you want to be a pharmacist when you could have went to medical school, engineering school, grad school, etc. I would wait to answer that when they ask so you don't feel like you are repeating yourself. The other questions are pretty standard interview questions about getting along with coworkers, dealing with criticism, being motivated to finish a project, etc.

It's totally okay if you aren't the most eloquent speaker! The people that interview you, for the most part, are not on the admission committee so they have a little booklet where they take notes on your answer. That way, the ADCOMS only see the content of your answer rather than how you said it. Try to be realistic with your answers. No one is perfect. Think about your strengths and weaknesses and outline both in your responses. During my interview, I talked a bit about procrastinating assignments and such, but said it in a way that the interviewers could relate because we all procrastinate at one time or another. Try to keep it real and you won't feel as nervous when you are talking. While it wasn't the case with everyone, most people said their interviewers were really kind and kept it as much as a conversation as possible.

Good luck to everyone this week!

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much everything romaniangirl said above. Don't fret over the interview too much, they invited you for it, means they're interested in you, and want you to come to their school. Now it's just about knowing the person behind the application (not your GPA, academic achievements, etc.). I personally didn't really prep too much into the actual questions, but rather just went into my life and thought about what people think that are unique and interesting about me (I also talked about my country and my culture that makes me unique, similar to romaniangirl). Be yourself, they're not expecting a perfectly memorized speech about how awesome a pharmacist you'll turn up to be. The interviewers are quite nice, but just make sure to answer questions in a timely manner, as they do have a hefty questionaire book to ask before the time is over (~35min or so). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you romaniangirl & nxq875 for the encouragement! all the positive comments really help me feel better about this interview. I was a little bit self-conscious because english is my second language and im not too articulate but hearing that the interviewers are nice and it'll be more like a conversation relieves me. I decided to think in a positive way that this interview is given to "pass me" rather than "reject me"!
hope to see you all in UHCOP! i'll keep things posted for the others :]

How long was the entire interview day? They didn't really say in the email

When did you submit your pharmcas and supp app?

When did you submit your pharmcas and supp app?

I submitted my pharmcas application end of september and I got an interview invitation and pre-interview documents to complete by oct. 13th. are you waiting for an interview as well?

Anyone else interviewing Friday? I have to be there at 7:40 :(

I submitted my pharmcas application end of september and I got an interview invitation and pre-interview documents to complete by oct. 13th. are you waiting for an interview as well?
They received my supplemental on Nov 5th, and I still haven't heard anything yet. I start to feel nervous.:(

They received my supplemental on Nov 5th, and I still haven't heard anything yet. I start to feel nervous.:(

Took me like 3 weeks to hear back from them lol. I'm sure they're just busy preparing for the group that's interviewing tomorrow. You'll hear back soon enough. Gl to those of you that are interviewing tomorrow!

The next interview isn't until January so they will probably want to interview this group, make decisions, then send out the next round of interview invitations. No need to worry!

Took me like 3 weeks to hear back from them lol. I'm sure they're just busy preparing for the group that's interviewing tomorrow. You'll hear back soon enough. Gl to those of you that are interviewing tomorrow!
I sent out application to three different schools, and haven't heard from any of them. Maybe it's time to send out more applications.:depressed:

Don't worry. My pharmcas was verified on sept/17. Supplemental application was submited in sept/2. I did not hear back from them until oct 30th for Jan/12 interview. Don't worry and good luck.

I sent out application to three different schools, and haven't heard from any of them. Maybe it's time to send out more applications.:depressed:

yeah i heard it takes longer for some people. dont worry!! i think what romaniangirl said is probably the reason why they're taking a while to send out the interview invitations. Are you constantly checking your junk folder? mails sometimes get sent there so dont overlook your junk mails!

If all 3 of those are Texas schools, then I wouldn't be surprised (Texas schools are slow to start RD). Still, doesn't hurt to play it safe and apply widely.

Interviewed today (11:50 a.m) and I loved it! Everyone was nice and supportive!!!

I just received an invitation for interview on January 30. Does anyone know if this would be too late? Wouldn't the class be mostly filled by then?

Thanks in advance.

I just received an invitation for interview on January 30. Does anyone know if this would be too late? Wouldn't the class be mostly filled by then?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it will be filled. They said they pick the best from each interview section and then the rest are either wait-listed or rejected.

Thanks in advance.
I received my interview invitation last Wednesday for Jan 30th too. ;)

I got my invitation for January 30th, 2015 also! See everyone who is scheduled for that day there :)

Hey when did you all have your applications verified & supplemental applications in?

I'm at a 3.4-3.5ish gpa, only 82 comp on my pcat, but I have 2 years as a tech at Walgreens and now Target. volunteered at a local library. Are my chances of getting an interview/accepted slim? I've been stressing out about this so much because I have not received any interview offers from any school yet. I know UT and TAMU don't start interviews until January so that's why I haven't heard back from them yet but UH interviews have already started and it's just really freaking me out!

Hey when did you all have your applications verified & supplemental applications in?
They received my supplemental and fee on November 24 and I received my invitation through email on November 26. If you haven't heard from them, I'd suggest you contact Mr. Ely who's the Director of Admissions. He's a super nice guy.