University of Illinois c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could you message me as well with some suggestions? I can't figure out how to message on here lol!:whistle:
sent you my two cents, too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best place to find accurate information about housing prices, good units that meet your requirements, and landlords you don't want to rent from because of complaints is the tenant union. There website is here: http://www.tenantunion.illinois.edu/
You can email them with a list of what you are looking for in an apartment/house and price range, and they will provide you a list of landlords and units that meets those criteria. On the list they will rank the landlords in order of how many complaints they have had against them. It is a great service that you all should take advantage of because it is FREE.

The best place to find accurate information about housing prices, good units that meet your requirements, and landlords you don't want to rent from because of complaints is the tenant union. There website is here: http://www.tenantunion.illinois.edu/
You can email them with a list of what you are looking for in an apartment/house and price range, and they will provide you a list of landlords and units that meets those criteria. On the list they will rank the landlords in order of how many complaints they have had against them. It is a great service that you all should take advantage of because it is FREE.

:thumbup: bbeventer is right, I found the tenant union to be a great resource and a huge help!

Yes for sure! I mentioned them pages back but I'm glad you brought the tenant union up again!

Thank you for this! For some reason I thought I had to make a list of places I was considering and send it to them. It makes more sense the way you explained it. You have helped me immensely!!

One of the girls giving tours on interview day mentioned that some complexes have shuttles...did she mean shuttles to vet med or just that the city buses go there?

so this may seem like a weird question but im deciding between here and another school and im trying to see how my work schedule will work out, but when is summer vacation?

so this may seem like a weird question but im deciding between here and another school and im trying to see how my work schedule will work out, but when is summer vacation?
This year it is May 16th - August 25th. I really would not pick a school based on the summer vacation though. You never know what will happen, you will get in school and decide you want to do an externship, or do research, etc, etc.

One of the girls giving tours on interview day mentioned that some complexes have shuttles...did she mean shuttles to vet med or just that the city buses go there?
I don't live at one of these places, but I believe the shuttles go to main campus. Most students drive to campus or walk/ride their bikes. The bus is not the best mode of transportation to vet med for our schedules.

okay great thank you! thats why i ask. the other school i'm looking at, my break would only be 2 weeks and I wouldn't have the opportunity to do any of that for as long as i would like. just trying to make a reallllly detailed pros and cons list right now

Hi guys!
So I'm looking for a roommate or two! I guess it's impossible to tell from my user name, but I am a female haha I'm debating on bringing my dog- as of right now I don't think ill have her for the first semester. She's a small poodle mix and only just over a year old. I've been looking at some apartments online and just started using that tenant unit website. I live in ohio, and I am more on the neat side :) unfortunately as much as I love cats--I can't live with them! :/
So if anyone is interested feel free to message me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
whens the best time to sign a lease by?

Hi guys! For those of you who have decided, I was wondering what your reasons are for choosing UIUC?

I'm OOS btw!

does anyone currently live or has lived at the village?

I have not lived there but have known classmates that have/still do. I have visited the place many times. From the classmates that have been there it seems to be either a like/hate relationship. Some seem to like it others seem to absolutely hate it an can't wait for their lease to be up. From my impression it seems what separates the two group is their ability to tolerate loud noises (neighbors, frequency of the train, really loud neighbors, oh and did I mention the really loud neighbors?), cost (management tacks on many fees like rearrangement fee, good view fee, etc), and maintenance request response (it seems they are rather slow). Again, this is what classmates have told me.

My overall impression, is the place looks nice from the outside, but it is dang super close to the train tracks and I don't know how anyone can live there with trains going by at 3am. Also every time I have visited friends there is always at least 1 party going on somewhere in the complex and the noise environment is certainly not conducive to studying especially if you prefer to study at home. They advertise themselves as a "grad student" friendly facility, but in reality a good number of undergrads live there as well.

Like I said though, some students like it others vehemently hate it.

I currently live there and don't find it to be that bad at all! Yes, you are close to the train but you get used to it after awhile and eventually don't even hear it anymore. Maintenance has responded to all my requests same day and even played with my dog during the day since he isn't kenneled. The best part is it comes furnished so I don't have to worry about moving bulky furniture to and from any place I decide to move to and they have a lot of things included in rent except electric so I don't have to fight with cable/internet companies. Where I'm at, there is barely any noise at all or just the normal apartment complex noise. I find it to be a great place to be, especially if you don't plan on staying in Champaign more than 4 years.

Did anyone else just get an email from financial aid saying that our award letter is available? They sent a link that requires a UIN, but we don't have one yet, right?

Tell me I'm not crazy :)

Did anyone else just get an email from financial aid saying that our award letter is available? They sent a link that requires a UIN, but we don't have one yet, right?

Tell me I'm not crazy :)

My mom got a letter the other day from the school with a link on how to set up your email and your UIN. I already have one so I'm assuming I don't need to set up another one. I wish I had the letter here so I could give you the link!

My mom got a letter the other day from the school with a link on how to set up your email and your UIN. I already have one so I'm assuming I don't need to set up another one. I wish I had the letter here so I could give you the link!
Thanks!! Thought I was missing something, mine must be on its way.

Really? I just checked and it still says c/o 2017...

Well crap. They took my $500 so they can't ditch me now! Maybe it'll update for me tomorrow.... :-(

Well crap. They took my $500 so they can't ditch me now! Maybe it'll update for me tomorrow.... :-(
haha. even if it doesnt, i'm pretty sure they will be mailing out all those in may!

Just bumping this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Woohoo, it finally updated for me! Does anyone know how often you need to get a rabies titer once you've had the series? My boss said every 10 years, others have told me every 2 years.... :shrug:

Woohoo, it finally updated for me! Does anyone know how often you need to get a rabies titer once you've had the series? My boss said every 10 years, others have told me every 2 years.... :shrug:
It's every 2 years... but they don't really check.

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if there were any parts of town or apartment complexes I should avoid? I'm looking up housing right now.

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if there were any parts of town or apartment complexes I should avoid? I'm looking up housing right now.
I did my undergrad here and places that I would never live again will be: ONE, any places that are on green street, Point at U of I, and any place with the University Group.

Parkside Apartments are a good place to live and have a reasonable rent. They are very close to the vet school.

Thanks guys! That helps me a lot. Last thing I want is to move into a disaster. I've already done that one lol.

Anyone happen to be looking for roommates? My boyfriend and I will be moving together and we found a couple places that seemed fairly promising but they're both 3 bedrooms about 5ish miles away from the vet school. I'll be bringing my 2 cats for sure and possibly my dog if I can find some place that will take him. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll send you the links of the places we're looking at.

Big/little sib survey is up on the new student page!

How helpful is ISCAVMA? When I read the benefits it sounds pretty awesome. Is anyone currently a member or considering to be a member?

What exactly is that?
It is the Illinois Student Chapter of the AVAM.
- They have lunch lectures, student conventions each year, etc.
But I think one the the biggest reasons to be a member of ISCAVMA is for PLIT insurance (malpractice) when you do externships.

It is the Illinois Student Chapter of the AVAM.
- They have lunch lectures, student conventions each year, etc.
But I think one the the biggest reasons to be a member of ISCAVMA is for PLIT insurance (malpractice) when you do externships.
Thank you!

Hey ya'll! I'm a second year vet student and I'm looking for one more roommate for the house I live in in Urbana. There will be one other second year and one first year living there as well. My number is 863-944-4647 if you would rather call or text me about it! Thanks and congrats!

Beautiful, modern 3 story home
--Completely furnished down to the pots and pans, big screen tv and washer and dryer
--Cable, Internet, security system and all utilities included
--Very close to school (5 minute drive) and nice quiet area, parking directly in front of house (for no extra charge)
--Fenced in yard!

$550 per month (utilities included)