University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students have advice on which textbooks to purchase before the beginning of the semester, and which ones to wait on and see if we really need? Our book list has 3 required texts: Guide to Dissection of the Dog, Veterinary Neuroanatomy, and Dyce's Anatomy book - will we actually use all 3 of these? I've heard mixed reviews about Dyce's Anatomy and a lot of people say Miller is better, but Miller is only on the recommended list of books, so I'm not sure which one would be best to buy. Also, any of the books on the recommended list that you thought were particularly helpful? Thanks!

P.S. I can't believe we only have a few weeks left until school starts! I am getting super excited and nervous at the same time!
Definitely get the dissection guide, Coleman likes taking questions from info in Dyce, and we weren't required to have the neuroanatomy book so I have no idea about that one. If you've never done histology before, then I'd suggest getting the book because it does help. I can't say anything about any of the other ones because I had them but I didn't really use them. My time management kind of went down the drain, which is my own fault, but a lot of people liked Costanza.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
More like :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ditto. Feels like this summer is passing by quicker.

Did anyone get their financial aid/loan award letter yet? I am constantly hoping that I am not missing anything :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got called off the waitlist just now but I regretfully had to decline the offer. I have already committed elsewhere, good luck to the rest of you waitlisted!

Has anyone been able to purchase a parking permit yet? I tried, but "my account is not in the database yet."

Has anyone been able to purchase a parking permit yet? I tried, but "my account is not in the database yet."
I got an email from parking services saying they have a glitch in their system and I haven't been able to even renew my parking permit yes. I would maybe give them a call in person.

I keep getting the same message, as well, about my account not being in the system...

I keep getting the same message, as well, about my account not being in the system...
Okay, glad I'm not the only one. I'm starting to get super nervous about the start of the year :confused:

Okay, glad I'm not the only one. I'm starting to get super nervous about the start of the year :confused:

I am getting nervous too! Only 39 days to go, according to the countdown on my phone! :eek: I just found out who my roommates are going to be yesterday, and it's all starting to feel more real. I'll be living with 2 3rd years who I'm sure will have tons of wisdom to offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still looking for roommates? One of my co-workers just got her acceptance call and is looking for a place to live.

Is anyone still looking for roommates? One of my co-workers just got her acceptance call and is looking for a place to live.

I am. Haven't been actively looking, so I still got a room available. If she hasn't found a place yet you can message me for the details :)

I am getting nervous too! Only 39 days to go, according to the countdown on my phone! :eek: I just found out who my roommates are going to be yesterday, and it's all starting to feel more real. I'll be living with 2 3rd years who I'm sure will have tons of wisdom to offer!
How did you find out? I'm still waiting to hear.

When do we find out who are our big sibs are?

How did you find out? I'm still waiting to hear.

My roommates actually contacted me. I'm living at The Village, and I guess the leasing office gave them my information because they have already moved into the apartment. Then I contacted The Village leasing office to confirm, and they finally sent me my welcome email. Hopefully you will hear very soon! If you're living at The Village too, they said that all the welcome emails should be going out this week.

When is tuition due? I haven't gotten any emails about it or anything yet.

Has anyone been able to sign into the Intranet "Class of 2019" tab?

Thank you :) I feel like a dad or something with my level of out-of-touch with technology! :p

EDIT: Should we be able to login to the intranet already? My CITES login isn't working for it

That's what I was wondering too. Mine won't sign in.

To my surprise, I recieveded a call with an offer of admission yesterday!! I'm an IS student, so I'm probably going to accept the offer. But, before I give absolute confirmation, I'd like to get most of my stuff figured out (I don't even have a UIN yet). There's only a month left until orientation starts after all!

My main concern right now is getting in all the forms that I need and finding a place to live. I'm weighing my options now, but would ideally like to find a roommate. Is anyone still looking, by chance?

Also, a vet that I worked with reccomended Winthrop Village in Savoy for housing. A quick Google search seems to suggest there is none, so I'm wondering if it's just been renamed or if I'm missing somethinng.

Super nervous/scared/excited--suffice to say, I'm beginning to feel the relief that I won't have to apply again.

To my surprise, I recieveded a call with an offer of admission yesterday!! I'm an IS student, so I'm probably going to accept the offer. But, before I give absolute confirmation, I'd like to get most of my stuff figured out (I don't even have a UIN yet). There's only a month left until orientation starts after all!

My main concern right now is getting in all the forms that I need and finding a place to live. I'm weighing my options now, but would ideally like to find a roommate. Is anyone still looking, by chance?

Also, a vet that I worked with reccomended Winthrop Village in Savoy for housing. A quick Google search seems to suggest there is none, so I'm wondering if it's just been renamed or if I'm missing somethinng.

Super nervous/scared/excited--suffice to say, I'm beginning to feel the relief that I won't have to apply again.
Yay congrats :) That's awesome news. As far as finding a place I know a few folks on the Facebook page are looking for roommates. This is our class FB page: University of Illinois Veterinary Class of 2019 In fact, a girl just posted yesterday on there that her roommate bailed on her and she needs someone to move in, in August.

Also, you're going to want to get your vaccine records sent in to McKinley Health Center ASAP! You've probably already seen this page but it has the to-do lists on it :) http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/admitted-student-info/

Thanks! I've been going down my checklist for stuff I need to do, and the website's a massive help.

Just out of random curiosity, anyone know why there's a different number of people enrolled in VM601 vs. VM602? I registered for what I coild yesterday and there were 128 people in 601 but 602 was full. *shrug* the office will help me enroll for 602 when I call them next, I just thought it was weird since everyone in our class needs both.

As for health forms...yeah. I just got all I needed to fill out those yesterday and missed the deadline. They're out in the mail today, just needed to update my tetanus vaccine. Thank goodness everyone's been patient, because those forms were supposed to be due by July 1 o.o

Reactions: 1 users
Also, has anyone completed the VTH orientation? It was supposed to open on the 13th, but I don't even know where to find it.

Edit: I emailed the office and they switched things around but didn't update the 'to-do' list. Also, we will get Intranet access closer to orientation.

Last edited:
Two questions -
Did anyone get confirmation from the school that they've gotten your rabies records?
Will ISCAVMA give us the items we ordered at orientation? (gonna guess "yes" on this one, but I'm paranoid about missing things!)

Two questions -
Did anyone get confirmation from the school that they've gotten your rabies records?
Will ISCAVMA give us the items we ordered at orientation? (gonna guess "yes" on this one, but I'm paranoid about missing things!)
No and I was assuming the same thing. Has your check been cashed yet?

To those who were wondering about ISCAVMA checks: when I was on the phone with Amy yesterday, she mentioned that she was pretty sure that the order had been placed. So, it might be safe to assume that your checks will be cashed sometime soon if they haven't already. Not sure if that helps or not.

To those who were wondering about ISCAVMA checks: when I was on the phone with Amy yesterday, she mentioned that she was pretty sure that the order had been placed. So, it might be safe to assume that your checks will be cashed sometime soon if they haven't already. Not sure if that helps or not.
Thanks! Having uncashed checks gives me anxiety for some reason...

Thanks! Having uncashed checks gives me anxiety for some reason...

Haha probably because in the back of your mind your thinking that maybe something happened with your mail and they never got the check or because you have to make sure that you don't spend that money. I am the same way with rent checks ;)

Current students: Do we really need blades/sterile gloves? The ISCAVMA order form said we'd need them our first year. Any idea how many we should buy?

Current students: Do we really need blades/sterile gloves? The ISCAVMA order form said we'd need them our first year. Any idea how many we should buy?
They're for anatomy lab. You will need blades and gloves. You can discuss this with your anatomy lab mates when you get to school. They don't need to be sterile.

Your big sibs (if you signed up) should be getting your contact info in the next day or so so look out for that email. We had more big sibs than little sibs so if you want to do it and didn't originally sign up, you can definitely sign up now. I'm sure the big sib committee will send out a notification of this sometime soon either through your facebook page or email.

Has anyone else either missed the ISCAVMA order deadline or chosen to order on their own? I've got attire covered, but I was wondering if anyone knew were I could get the materials in the surgical pack that's affordable.

Hi I just got accepted pretty recently and it looks like Orchard Downs isn't going to get back to me soon enough. I need somewhere to live close to the vet school with parking. I'm out of state and need to move in in three weeks so any kind of help would be appreciated. Some decent places to live or how the parking works would be so nice.

I sent her a message! Thanks for thinking of me though! ;)

Hi I just got accepted pretty recently and it looks like Orchard Downs isn't going to get back to me soon enough. I need somewhere to live close to the vet school with parking. I'm out of state and need to move in in three weeks so any kind of help would be appreciated. Some decent places to live or how the parking works would be so nice.
If you're looking for an apartment-type place, check out The Village and The Place @ 117 at Savoy. Both have on-site parking and are free. They do individual leases and are fully furnished, so if you're looking to make the long move easy and quick, that might be for you. Both are, at least in my opinion, reasonably affordable and both are pet-friendly.

I just signed a lease earlier this week. The Place is still matching roommates and if you put on your application that you'd like to live with vet students they try and accommodate that. I also threw an application out to The Village and got a call like two days ago saying they had a 4 bed/2 bath that fit what I was looking for. But, I had already signed something so I declined. You may want to look at both options.

Also, signing a lease with The Place is very easy and can be done entirely online. So there's a benefit there. Their move-in dates for next month are August 15--just in time for orientation.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Does anyone know if we get any sort of deal with Hills or Purina for pet food?

Does anyone know if we get any sort of deal with Hills or Purina for pet food?

Yes, there are student feeding plans available from Hills, Purina, and Royal Canin. You will get that information during orientation week I believe. They're all pretty similar as far as discounts go, with the one major difference being that RC and Purina ship directly to your door, whereas Hills orders have to be picked up at school.