University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Will we still be able to take the Contemporary Issues elective later if we didn't get a seat this time?

Are specific scrubs/scrub colors required? I noticed in the order form it just says blue, and I was guessing ceil blue but wanted to double check. I already have a bunch of scrubs so that I would rather not order new unless there are specifics I need.

Anyone have input on which parking permit they like or is necessary?

Also, working on a 2x2 lease at The Place if anyone is still looking for housing and is interested in seeing if we'd make good roommates!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We should be able to, I'm planning to because it's cheaper than anything else in my area. They said as long as we get it done by the time clinics start in October we should be fine, but I was going to call to make sure they have me on file as needing to get it there so they won't be expecting me to send confirmation by the deadline.

I'm planning on getting mine done at McKinley, as well. I had scheduled to get it done by my city's health department, but they just informed me that there is a shortage of the vaccine in my area, so they are not able to offer it currently. And all the travel clinics near me are charging at least $1000 for the series, which is roughly $400 more than McKinley... I had hoped to get it out of the way before school starts, but looks like that's not going to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Are specific scrubs/scrub colors required? I noticed in the order form it just says blue, and I was guessing ceil blue but wanted to double check. I already have a bunch of scrubs so that I would rather not order new unless there are specifics I need.

Anyone have input on which parking permit they like or is necessary?

Also, working on a 2x2 lease at The Place if anyone is still looking for housing and is interested in seeing if we'd make good roommates!

There are no requirements for scrubs regarding color/style. That being said, the administration does not like students wearing scrubs for other veterinary hospitals (VCA, BluePearl, Banfield, your local clinic, etc..) while in the teaching hospital, as they don't think we should be advertising other brands, but for anatomy lab etc. you can wear any scrubs you'd like. For clinical rotations, just plan on plain solid colors or basic print patterns; really all they care about is that they aren't branded with another clinic logo.

There are no requirements for scrubs regarding color/style. That being said, the administration does not like students wearing scrubs for other veterinary hospitals (VCA, BluePearl, Banfield, your local clinic, etc..) while in the teaching hospital, as they don't think we should be advertising other brands, but for anatomy lab etc. you can wear any scrubs you'd like. For clinical rotations, just plan on plain solid colors or basic print patterns; really all they care about is that they aren't branded with another clinic logo.
What do students wear to class? I know some schools expect business casual or better...but I haven't seen anything from Illinois yet.

I just signed up for ISCAVMA and I was wondering if it is advised to order our supplies through them such as the surgical pack, hoof pick, etc? I'm guessing we're getting a good deal on stuff from them but I have spent so much money lately on things for school I just want to be sure I'm getting a fair price.

Also, was wondering for the textbook order list if past/current students got the suggested books, in addition to the required books? Did the "suggested books" help you a great deal?

What do students wear to class? I know some schools expect business casual or better...but I haven't seen anything from Illinois yet.
Wear whatever you want within reason. Plenty of people came to class in sweats and hoodies. One good thing about Illinois is that for class, you don't have to dress fancy.

Reactions: 2 users
I just signed up for ISCAVMA and I was wondering if it is advised to order our supplies through them such as the surgical pack, hoof pick, etc? I'm guessing we're getting a good deal on stuff from them but I have spent so much money lately on things for school I just want to be sure I'm getting a fair price.

I wondered the same thing and looked everything up on Amazon. Everything on Amazon was more expensive than the ISCAVMA price. That doesn't mean you can't find better prices elsewhere, though.

Is there a list of items that we need for our first year other than what they say on the ISCAVM order form?

Hey everyone. A few things to hopefully help you reduce some stress:

First off, as far as registration goes, do not panic if you can't register right now. The core classes will not fill up, and neither will Zoo Med. Deep breaths, it will be fine! Make sure you're enjoying your summer and doing as much relaxing as possible, you probably won't find much time for that come August!

Secondly, since computers just came up on your thread, I thought I'd give some guidance. You can get by with pretty much any computer you'd like to use. I'm not sure if they're still telling you that you need Windows 7 if you're bringing a PC, but everyone in my class with Windows 8 has had no problems at all. Quite a few students are starting to use the Microsoft Surface Pro "Tablets"(in quotes, since they're legit full-function computers); they all seem to like the keyboard & touchscreen functionality, and it makes everything super portable. If you're in the market for a new computer, I highly recommend you take a look at those.

Also, I would highly recommend using Microsoft OneNote to EVERYONE, whether you have a Mac or a PC. Most PCs bought in the past 4 years should already have it, and it's a free download for MacOS. The big feature that could possibly be life-saving, is that OneNote can back up all your notes to their cloud server, so you can access them on any computer/tablet/phone. You wouldn't believe the number of students in my class alone who have had their computers die, usually right before exams, that have been saved by this feature.
I can vouch for the Surface Pro 3! I got it last summer & I love it. One of my friends at the vet school bought one before her 4th year because of its portability.

For anyone who is still contemplating where to live, I visited the campus again and signed a lease with the Village. It was by far the nicest place from all that I toured.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question, but... what is the process for sending my medical records to the McKinley Health Center?

For anyone who is still contemplating where to live, I visited the campus again and signed a lease with the Village. It was by far the nicest place from all that I toured.
Maybe we'll be neighbors!

Edit: just kidding I don't even know the name of where I signed...I'm living at The Place

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they will email/call us or anything once they have received our health records at McKinley Health Center?

Does anyone know if they will email/call us or anything once they have received our health records at McKinley Health Center?
I actually got an email the day after i faxed them, but it was because i screwed it all up haha

I actually got an email the day after i faxed them, but it was because i screwed it all up haha
Lol that's kind of what I'm expecting to happen. The hospital I go to gave me my vaccine records but I realized it's not even signed by the doctor! I mailed it to McKinley anyway; I mean I guess they can contact the hospital if they have questions but those are the only records they gave me.

Lol that's kind of what I'm expecting to happen. The hospital I go to gave me my vaccine records but I realized it's not even signed by the doctor! I mailed it to McKinley anyway; I mean I guess they can contact the hospital if they have questions but those are the only records they gave me.
I didn't read anything very thoroughly, I didn't realize I needed to send a copy of my vax history OR get it signed by my doctor. Lol. Minor setback.

Anyone get a financial aid package yet?

Does anyone know exactly what model of iClicker we'll need? ISCAVMA wants $40 but I know Amazon will have them considerably cheaper. That, and I think I still have the first model laying around somewhere.

Does anyone know exactly what model of iClicker we'll need? ISCAVMA wants $40 but I know Amazon will have them considerably cheaper. That, and I think I still have the first model laying around somewhere.
Personally, I'd suggest just finding some UIUC undergrads that are selling theirs. Don't buy an iClicker new, there's so many students (at least around here) that are selling them for dirt cheap. The latest models too. Heck, I'd just give you mine if we were in the same area :laugh:

Honestly, my class barely used it and as far as I can remember it wasn't for anything that was recorded. Well, except for once maybe. We actually had crossing from the class across the hall so our answers weren't always right anyway. Odd fact for you.

Doesn't appear that any of the Surface Pro 3's have 320 GB of RAM as required in the computer requirement sheet? I want to buy one but only if it fits the requirements :p
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3/productID.300190600
First off, you will never, ever, find a computer with 320 GB of ***RAM***; RAM is memory, not storage (Which is what I think you are referencing). Most current laptops/tablets have 4-8 GB of RAM. As far as 320 GB of *storage*, you will use maybe 40GB for school stuff, if you donwload all the Histology "slides" to your computer. Most of the Surface Pro tablets will be more than what you need. Trust me, I'm a techy person and a 3rd year at Illinois, pretty much any laptop/tablet you buy that was made within the past 2 years and cost more than $500 will be fine.

One Warning: All of your exams and quizzes will be taken using ExamSoft Software, and they currently DO NOT SUPPORT WIDOWS 10. They plan to support it soon, but to be safe I'd buy a computer with Windows 8 and then make the free upgrade once ExamSoft software supports 10.

Any iClicker you buy will be fine. Go with the least expensive option. Many students will be selling theirs when you arrive to campus; they are required for 1st and 2nd year, and 2nd year "participation" points are based almost solely off of iClicker questions during lectures.

Any iClicker you buy will be fine. Go with the least expensive option. Many students will be selling theirs when you arrive to campus; they are required for 1st and 2nd year, and 2nd year "participation" points are based almost solely off of iClicker questions during lectures.
The original model will work then? Because I already have that

I just signed at The Place 117 with 2 other guys. We still have a room left for one other person who is still looking. It's a 4bed/2bath apartment.

First off, you will never, ever, find a computer with 320 GB of ***RAM***; RAM is memory, not storage (Which is what I think you are referencing). Most current laptops/tablets have 4-8 GB of RAM. As far as 320 GB of *storage*, you will use maybe 40GB for school stuff, if you donwload all the Histology "slides" to your computer. Most of the Surface Pro tablets will be more than what you need. Trust me, I'm a techy person and a 3rd year at Illinois, pretty much any laptop/tablet you buy that was made within the past 2 years and cost more than $500 will be fine.

One Warning: All of your exams and quizzes will be taken using ExamSoft Software, and they currently DO NOT SUPPORT WIDOWS 10. They plan to support it soon, but to be safe I'd buy a computer with Windows 8 and then make the free upgrade once ExamSoft software supports 10.

Windows 10 isn't technically out yet so I bet this will change ASAP when new hardware is released. I'm waiting until the last second for the Surface Pro 4 - it will either come out by the end of July or in October and I don't want to buy a Pro 3 at retail price when the newest technology is about to come out!

Do we have to order all of these things we need from the ISCAVMA form by the deadline to join? Or can we order them later? Lots of moola to be dropping at once right now haha.

Windows 10 isn't technically out yet so I bet this will change ASAP when new hardware is released. I'm waiting until the last second for the Surface Pro 4 - it will either come out by the end of July or in October and I don't want to buy a Pro 3 at retail price when the newest technology is about to come out!

Well last year they asked us to only use windows 7 when windows 8 had been out for a looong time. I wouldn't count on Examsoft updating immediately. I keep getting emails about how I should not upgrade if we are Examsoft users. Here is what is says:

Dear Exam Taker,

Microsoft
recently announced that it will officially release its newest operating system,
Windows 10, beginning July 29, 2015. They have announced that this will be a
free upgrade for existing Windows users and that users can begin to reserve
their update now.

Please note that ExamSoft does not support Windows 10 at this
time.
Our team of skilled developers and quality assurance testers are working to certify a version of SofTest to be used with Windows 10, however in the mean time, please DO NOT UPDATE your device. We will continue to communicate directly with the ExamSoft Administrators at your institution on our progress.

Does the vet school follow the undergrad academic calendar? Meaning we'd get a full week off for Thanksgiving?

Reactions: 2 users
Have we gotten anything from the Enterprise Outlook email system yet? I'm not able to log in right now and I haven't checked it since I made the account.

Have we gotten anything from the Enterprise Outlook email system yet? I'm not able to log in right now and I haven't checked it since I made the account.
I've just gotten info about financial aid, nothing else has really come through yet.

I've just gotten info about financial aid, nothing else has really come through yet.
I might just be confusing myself but to log into the email we go to Outlook Web App, then type in for the NetID "[email protected]" then the same password we use for Enterprise, like to register for classes? Thank you so much to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I'm visiting a really rural area right now so I have no phone service and using WiFi at a little cafe.

I've been able to log in just fine, maybe try calling the school's tech support? I don't believe I've gotten anything from the school on that email, all communications have been sent to the email I applied with.

I might just be confusing myself but to log into the email we go to Outlook Web App, then type in for the NetID "[email protected]" then the same password we use for Enterprise, like to register for classes? Thank you so much to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I'm visiting a really rural area right now so I have no phone service and using WiFi at a little cafe.
I go to https://webmail.illinois.edu/ to log in, and use the Enterprise name and password to log in, but if you're having issues I'd go to tech support for sure, at least sometime in the next month

I thought someone commented on this earlier, but I couldn't find the previous post... are all the supplies from ISCAVMA good quality? I thought I remembered someone saying we should invest in a quicker thermometer (like 8 sec) and that the surgical pack is very good. I just want to make sure it's worth it to buy all the supplies I can through ISCAVMA, or if I should look into better items...

I thought someone commented on this earlier, but I couldn't find the previous post... are all the supplies from ISCAVMA good quality? I thought I remembered someone saying we should invest in a quicker thermometer (like 8 sec) and that the surgical pack is very good. I just want to make sure it's worth it to buy all the supplies I can through ISCAVMA, or if I should look into better items...

The ISCAVMA items are just fine; you won't be doing any actual surgery with your surgical instrument set, it's more for suturing practice, practicing on dead tissues, and to use on clinical rotations in non-surgical settings. Definitely not worth spending extra money for the good German stainless steel instruments. Their thermometers are a little slow, but the one I've been using since 1st year cost me about $14.99 at CVS and has been working just fine.

Hey all, I just off the waitlist for U of I and I'm looking for a place to live starting in August. Anyone have anything they need filled?

I'm looking for another roommate to live in a 3 BR apartment with me and another vet student. We haven't signed a lease yet but we're looking at The Place and The Pointe. If anyone is still looking for a place to live message me!

I'm looking for another roommate to live in a 3 BR apartment with me and another vet student. We haven't signed a lease yet but we're looking at The Place and The Pointe. If anyone is still looking for a place to live message me!
I'm already signed at The Place for a 3 bed! I'll have a cat/rabbit with me if that makes a difference.

Does the vet school follow the undergrad academic calendar? Meaning we'd get a full week off for Thanksgiving?

Yes!

My younger cousin is the new leasing manager at The Place, glad ya'll are making her work!

Who's getting excited? :D

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students have advice on which textbooks to purchase before the beginning of the semester, and which ones to wait on and see if we really need? Our book list has 3 required texts: Guide to Dissection of the Dog, Veterinary Neuroanatomy, and Dyce's Anatomy book - will we actually use all 3 of these? I've heard mixed reviews about Dyce's Anatomy and a lot of people say Miller is better, but Miller is only on the recommended list of books, so I'm not sure which one would be best to buy. Also, any of the books on the recommended list that you thought were particularly helpful? Thanks!

P.S. I can't believe we only have a few weeks left until school starts! I am getting super excited and nervous at the same time!