University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was able to register for the zoo elective, but not our core courses. Something about needed to register for the linked course too?

I called them and they said " we are still ahead of the game", letters still need to be mailed and they are still making changes to the website. The sections are still closed for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to register for the zoo elective, but not our core courses. Something about needed to register for the linked course too?

I used the same system at my undergrad school, they just haven't actually opened registration for the class yet. They haven't added any seats to the lecture portion of the class, so they don't worry about closing the lab portion since it's linked to the lecture.

Also, I was still planning on going to the iVLE day :) I figured it's a good chance to meet people and make a good impression on the profs

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also planning on attending iVLE!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Registered for the zoo med class as well!

Awesome, can't wait to meet with you all at iVLE! :D

I'm in the zoo med class too! Did anyone happen to see how many seats they allow for that class?

I'm in the zoo med class too! Did anyone happen to see how many seats they allow for that class?
Pretty much anyone who wants to take it. It doesn't fill up from what I've seen.

I got the same thing you did. It says all of them are closed and that the structure and function lab is linked to the lecture. If anyone figures out what is going on and what we have to do to get everything finalized, be sure to post it please.

Thoughts on joining ISCAVMA? Yay or nay? Sounds like a lot of good benefits but kind of hurting for money at the moment.

I am planning on joining ISCAVMA. I'm not sure how it works at Illinois, but I know some schools force you to join if you want to be in any other clubs... Any current students able to comment on that? The way I see it, the cost up-front will be balanced by future savings and other benefits, like possible scholarships. Plus I want to be able to order first year supplies! I'll just have to save my pennies for the next month...

I also plan on attending iVLE. I think it will be a great way to meet people right away so there will be some familiar faces throughout the rest of orientation. And I registered for the ZooMed elective and Contemporary Issues in Vet Med. Anyone else signed up for 2 electives?

Anyone try to add Canine Occupational Health? It said there was an error and I'm not sure why. It says "Closed Section", does that mean it's full or we are not allowed to add it? Otherwise I'll probably take Contemporary Issues in Vet Med.

Update: I actually can't add any of the electives...Will call them later I guess

Maybe a silly question but do we add both "sections" of Structure and Function? Because one is for 9 credits and one is for 0, so I would assume one is like a lab tied into the lecture?

Anyone try to add Canine Occupational Health? It said there was an error and I'm not sure why. It says "Closed Section", does that mean it's full or we are not allowed to add it? Otherwise I'll probably take Contemporary Issues in Vet Med.

Update: I actually can't add any of the electives...Will call them later I guess

I can add other electives, but for Canine Occupational Health I it says the same thing to me - closed section. I really want to take that class :)

Are two electives too much for a first year student? (I am also enrolled in Zoo Med)

Just registered for the class - it's getting so real! We are gonna be vet students! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing ISCAVMA. Definitely pays off and is worth it, from my view.

Registration is exciting!!!

I got the same thing you did. It says all of them are closed and that the structure and function lab is linked to the lecture. If anyone figures out what is going on and what we have to do to get everything finalized, be sure to post it please.

They just haven't actually opened registration yet, we're too early, they still need to finalize the class and mail out our information.

I can add other electives, but for Canine Occupational Health I it says the same thing to me - closed section. I really want to take that class :)

Are two electives too much for a first year student? (I am also enrolled in Zoo Med)

Just registered for the class - it's getting so real! We are gonna be vet students! :D

It looks like Occupational Health and Zoo Med run at the same time. I also chose 2 electives for the first semester.

Maybe a silly question but do we add both "sections" of Structure and Function? Because one is for 9 credits and one is for 0, so I would assume one is like a lab tied into the lecture?

Yeah, we need to add both sections, because they're linked as lab and lecture.

They just haven't actually opened registration yet, we're too early, they still need to finalize the class and mail out our information.

I was able to register for everything. Core courses plus electives.

I was able to register for everything. Core courses plus electives.

My page hadn't updated to show the rest of the posts afterward :confused: but I managed to register for everything!

Also, definitely planning to do ISCAVMA, I've heard really good things about all the opportunities they offer you as a member

As far as I know, the only electives you can take first semester are the zoo med or the public health electives. Also, all other classes are probably filled by everyone else.

Also, if anyone is still looking for housing, I'm subleasing a really nice 3-person house (with backyard, front porch, basement, and attic) that's a 15 minute walk from campus and a block from the bus line, and we're still looking for a third person! The other girl will be a third year, the house is pet-friendly, and the room can come completely furnished if you want! Message me for details, because we'd like the third room not to go to waste :)

Okay, so I have Zoo Med, VM 601, and VM 602. Are there any other core courses I'm missing? Right now I'm showing my Thursdays as being done at 11:50...that can't be right.

Okay, so I have Zoo Med, VM 601, and VM 602. Are there any other core courses I'm missing? Right now I'm showing my Thursdays as being done at 11:50...that can't be right.
Nope that's completely right. Every Thursday is your short day. Enjoy it while you can.

That's it :) I'm sure we'll need those early Thursday's

I have registered for VM 601 and 602, but I'm having a problem with registering for zoo med. I think it says there are open seats, but I'm new to this system. Does anyone know if it is closed and/or have suggestions for other classes?

I have registered for VM 601 and 602, but I'm having a problem with registering for zoo med. I think it says there are open seats, but I'm new to this system. Does anyone know if it is closed and/or have suggestions for other classes?

It looks like there should still be seats left in the class, if there's a check box next to the CRN number you can just check that and click Register at the bottom, or you can type the CRN number (54954) into one of the boxes at the bottom of the Add/Drop Classes page

It looks like there should still be seats left in the class, if there's a check box next to the CRN number you can just check that and click Register at the bottom, or you can type the CRN number (54954) into one of the boxes at the bottom of the Add/Drop Classes page
Thanks! all figured out now. Not sure what I was thinking.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where pit bulls are allowed? I never thought this was going to be this difficult...

Has anyone been able to set up their Microsoft Exchange email account? I followed the steps listed on the website link that was sent in our NetID letters, but it's saying that I am not eligible for an email account. I'm thinking maybe it's because I went there for undergrad, and it doesn't recognize that I am now a vet student and not an undergraduate? Anyone else having a similar problem?

For those of you who have already gone through the rabies series-how are you proving you've completed it? I have some sheets of paper that say when my appointment time was...but that's about it.

For those of you who have already gone through the rabies series-how are you proving you've completed it? I have some sheets of paper that say when my appointment time was...but that's about it.

If it was recently then a vx record from where you got it would probably be okay. If its been over a year, I would call the school and see if they want you to get a titer.

My vaccines were off by a few days, thanks to the ~*wonderful*~ clinic I went to that didn't actually know when they should've been administered. So I had day 0, day 10, and day 21. Hoping that's OK. As far as proof, I was going to bring in my receipts because they have my name on them from paying with credit card? Not sure if that's valid proof though.

Has anyone been able to set up their Microsoft Exchange email account? I followed the steps listed on the website link that was sent in our NetID letters, but it's saying that I am not eligible for an email account. I'm thinking maybe it's because I went there for undergrad, and it doesn't recognize that I am now a vet student and not an undergraduate? Anyone else having a similar problem?

I looked into it, and they only offer Microsoft exchange accounts for undergrad students and some faculty, but not for graduate students yet, we can only use the outlook webmail.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where pit bulls are allowed? I never thought this was going to be this difficult...
This complex has no breed or weight restrictions: http://www.rcsmanagement.net/Pages/MattisNorth.aspx . We found something before getting to check it out so I can't speak to the quality of the apartments but it was on my list, as we have a (slightly overweight) bloodhound and were having problems with weight restrictions.

My vaccines were off by a few days, thanks to the ~*wonderful*~ clinic I went to that didn't actually know when they should've been administered. So I had day 0, day 10, and day 21. Hoping that's OK. As far as proof, I was going to bring in my receipts because they have my name on them from paying with credit card? Not sure if that's valid proof though.

This happened to me, the clinic didn't let me know the days I was supposed to have the shots administered. So my days were crazy haha. I called them today and they said that although it should be fine, they ask that you get a titer and send proof you got that as well.

Does anyone know if we can wait and get the rabies series at McKinley Health Center in August?

Does anyone know if we can wait and get the rabies series at McKinley Health Center in August?

We should be able to, I'm planning to because it's cheaper than anything else in my area. They said as long as we get it done by the time clinics start in October we should be fine, but I was going to call to make sure they have me on file as needing to get it there so they won't be expecting me to send confirmation by the deadline.

We should be able to, I'm planning to because it's cheaper than anything else in my area. They said as long as we get it done by the time clinics start in October we should be fine, but I was going to call to make sure they have me on file as needing to get it there so they won't be expecting me to send confirmation by the deadline.

Ok, I should probably email them to make sure too, but that's what I am planning as well

Yea you can wait. I got mine at McKinley when school started and we even had rotations earlier than you do now.

If it was recently then a vx record from where you got it would probably be okay. If its been over a year, I would call the school and see if they want you to get a titer.
We aren't "required" to get a titer. I'll have to dig out my pieces of paper and see exactly what they say...

How is everyone's search for a laptop going? I was looking at a few models from Dell.

Hey everyone. A few things to hopefully help you reduce some stress:

First off, as far as registration goes, do not panic if you can't register right now. The core classes will not fill up, and neither will Zoo Med. Deep breaths, it will be fine! Make sure you're enjoying your summer and doing as much relaxing as possible, you probably won't find much time for that come August!

Secondly, since computers just came up on your thread, I thought I'd give some guidance. You can get by with pretty much any computer you'd like to use. I'm not sure if they're still telling you that you need Windows 7 if you're bringing a PC, but everyone in my class with Windows 8 has had no problems at all. Quite a few students are starting to use the Microsoft Surface Pro "Tablets"(in quotes, since they're legit full-function computers); they all seem to like the keyboard & touchscreen functionality, and it makes everything super portable. If you're in the market for a new computer, I highly recommend you take a look at those.

Also, I would highly recommend using Microsoft OneNote to EVERYONE, whether you have a Mac or a PC. Most PCs bought in the past 4 years should already have it, and it's a free download for MacOS. The big feature that could possibly be life-saving, is that OneNote can back up all your notes to their cloud server, so you can access them on any computer/tablet/phone. You wouldn't believe the number of students in my class alone who have had their computers die, usually right before exams, that have been saved by this feature.

Last edited:
I will def be looking into OneNote, I have heard it recommended on several occasions. As far as our electives go, we have more than two options according to the new student letter;

The four electives available to you as first year students are listed

• Public Health Concepts and Practice (this elective is mainly developed for the DVM/MPH applicants. Lotteries are done for this elective.)
  • Canine Occupational Health I
  • Contemporary Issues in Vet Med
  • Zoo Med: What’s Your Diagnosis?
- See more at: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...e/admitted-student-info/#sthash.DReOxnCq.dpuf

Well that's awesome for you guys to have more elective choices! For my class and last year's class they only offered the two I mentioned, so you all should consider yourself lucky! Highly recommend taking Zoo Med with Dr. Mitchell, he's a riot!

This might sound like a really ignorant question, but aren't we supposed to take around 19 credits per semester? If we take the core and all possible electives including the one that they only take a handful of students for, that only adds up to 19.5. I'm cool with not having that much right off the start if we aren't supposed to, but I just don't want to register for too few courses.

This might sound like a really ignorant question, but aren't we supposed to take around 19 credits per semester? If we take the core and all possible electives including the one that they only take a handful of students for, that only adds up to 19.5. I'm cool with not having that much right off the start if we aren't supposed to, but I just don't want to register for too few courses.
You need to have 8 electives by the time you enter your rotations in 4th year. You can certainly take more than that, but you don't have to. I don't know where you got the 19 credit thing from. Maybe someone else can enlighten both of us on that.

Provided that you are registered for the required classes (Structure and Function), there's no minimum credit requirement. Most people in our class just took the ZooMed elective (granted that was our only choice besides the public health one). You will have many elective options in the coming semesters, so don't worry!