University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little confused as to how to see the status page...I clicked the link in the email and then it just brought me to my supplemental application. Any advice on how to see my status?
Click on the 2014 status link and login from there, I was having the same confusion as you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a little confused as to how to see the status page...I clicked the link in the email and then it just brought me to my supplemental application. Any advice on how to see my status?
Hmm When I clicked this link: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/admissions/ I then clicked 2015 Online Application Statusthen logged in and it went right to my status page!

Members don't see this ad :)

Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/admissions/
Click 2014 Online Application Status. (I guess they just forgot to change the hyperlink title from last year). It will open up a new page with all your information/GRE scores/GPA etc.

Thanks everyone! I found it, just thought that it couldn't be it because it said 2014 Application Status!

Reactions: 1 users
I am glad we are all depressed now. Haha My GPA looks awful calculated out. Well not awful but still depressing. Also do your evals say "selected" because mine do and I dont know if that means they have received them or not!
It means they received them, I asked

So what is the highest possible score for the GRE section then? 99?

So what is the highest possible score for the GRE section then? 99?

Well, based on the percentile conversion chart on the ETS website, a perfect verbal score of 170 is the 99th percentile, a 170 quant is the 98th, and a 6.0 writing is the 99th. So I'm guessing a 98.67 would be the highest possible score (not sure how those numbers are rounded). But that would just be obnoxious! ;)

Well, based on the percentile conversion chart on the ETS website, a perfect verbal score of 170 is the 99th percentile, a 170 quant is the 98th, and a 6.0 writing is the 99th. So I'm guessing a 98.67 would be the highest possible score (not sure how those numbers are rounded). But that would just be obnoxious! ;)
Haha gotcha!! I didn't know 99 wasn't the highest for the Q section (why is it only 98....). I just like to know how far away I am from the max!

MRW some of the hard Animal Science classes I'm taking/have taken and have done really well in aren't calculated into the science GPA
6a0120a95a88d5970b01a511942dfd970c-800wi

I'm more upset about my "botany" class. It was my first science class, and I did well in it. This isn't just a course about plants--it corresponds with other colleges as general biology 1. I don't want to lose out that credit in my science GPA because that's just a nuance of how my university labels their courses on the transcript. I can see throwing out things like my seminar course, but they downright threw out some other courses (an undergraduate research course, an advanced special topics class, and my paleontology class from the science calculation). I get that you want to have a specific definition for "science", but why throw out botany from a science calculation, when all my math classes are included?

I'm probably going to email them for clarification on the botany course anyway. I know that a year of general biology is required for admission, so I want to make sure they *know* what that means, even if they rule it isn't going to be used in my science GPA in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one upset about their GPA. I don't like that all schools include repeated grades. I only retook one class because I got a C (I had to retake it to keep my scholarship and I wasn't happy with a C anyway) and it brings my GPA down A LOT because it was a 5 credit hour class. Stupid physics.I wish I could have gotten a C in english or something so it wouldn't have brought my science GPA down also haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, what's good about U of I is that your GPA isn't part of your final ranking. Yes, you need a certain GPA/GRE to get past the initial stages and make it to the interview, but after you get the interview, all they're looking at are your non-academic factors and performance on the interview.

On the bright side, I am actually pretty happy about how they've lumped all classes into the GPA. My undergrad GPA was okay, but kinda mediocre as a vet school applicant. But, as a graduate student I have a 4.0 GPA. It doesn't count for much, but it at least counts for a little. Plus, my grad program has contributed so much to my non-academic development as an applicant.

Well, what's good about U of I is that your GPA isn't part of your final ranking. Yes, you need a certain GPA/GRE to get past the initial stages and make it to the interview, but after you get the interview, all they're looking at are your non-academic factors and performance on the interview.

On the bright side, I am actually pretty happy about how they've lumped all classes into the GPA. My undergrad GPA was okay, but kinda mediocre as a vet school applicant. But, as a graduate student I have a 4.0 GPA. It doesn't count for much, but it at least counts for a little. Plus, my grad program has contributed so much to my non-academic development as an applicant.

Yes that is good they don't factor GPA into the final rankings!! I just hope my GPA is good enough to get me an interview because I have a lot going for me on the non-academic side of things. My grades aren't bad by any means but I know a lot of applicants probably have a 4.0.

I know how that feels--I'm going through the same thing.

I'm not entirely clear based on what their website says as to how they offer interview invitations, but I imagine they do the non-academic review for all academically qualified students or do a non-academic review for everyone and make interview offers based on a combination of the non-academic and academic scores. If you have a slightly lower GPA but really great non-academic factors, I'm sure they'll give your application at least a serious look. I've looked at some of the successful applicant stats in the past and it looks like they admit a wide range of students, from ones with a 3.1 GPA to those who have a ~4.0 GPA. If your GPA is lower than the average applicant, don't think that the numbers alone condemn you.

All I know is that their FAQ says students with a GPA less than 3.0 are unlikely to be considered seriously. My cumulative GPA, for instance, is competitive, but my science GPA is hovering around a sad, sad 3.3. So... I'm nervous, but trying to stay positive.

I'm not entirely clear based on what their website says as to how they offer interview invitations, but I imagine they do the non-academic review for all academically qualified students or do a non-academic review for everyone and make interview offers based on a combination of the non-academic and academic scores. If you have a slightly lower GPA but really great non-academic factors, I'm sure they'll give your application at least a serious look. I've looked at some of the successful applicant stats in the past and it looks like they admit a wide range of students, from ones with a 3.1 GPA to those who have a ~4.0 GPA. If your GPA is lower than the average applicant, don't think that the numbers alone condemn you.

All I know is that their FAQ says students with a GPA less than 3.0 are unlikely to be considered seriously. My cumulative GPA, for instance, is competitive, but my science GPA is hovering around a sad, sad 3.3. So... I'm nervous, but trying to stay positive.
Both my cumulative and science are average for what they accept but I'm just too hard on myself about my grades! Waiting until January to hear about an interview is torture and I am also trying to stay positive!

Does any one know how much weight they place on the GRE??

They have a three phase process: this is taken from the website directly

Phase One – Cognitive Evaluation
The initial applicant assessment ranks all applicants (usually between 800 to 900) numerically according to a composite score derived from the Cumulative and Science Grade Point Averages, the GRE percentile score, and an evaluation of the rigor of the undergraduate collegiate academic experience.
Phase Two – Non-Cognitive Evaluation
The second phase of the assessment process is a non-academic evaluation of the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application and the Illinois Supplemental application by the Admissions Advisory Committee. Each application is read by a minimum of 3 members of the Committee who have not seen the Phase One information.
The non-academic score is determined by the following factors:
  • VMCAS personal statement
  • Illinois Supplemental essay
  • Animal-related experience
  • Veterinary-related experience
  • Other experiences (research, international studies, business, agribusiness, other careers before application)
  • Community service/citizenship
  • Leadership
  • Initiative/enterprising activities
  • Special recognition (academic, personal, or professional)
  • Electronic Letters of reference (ELOR)
Phase Three – Interview
  • 300+ applicants (130 Illinois residents and 200 non-residents) will be offered a personal interview to be scheduled in mid-to-late February.
  • All applicants will interview on one single day with one of 21 teams of interviewers. Each team is comprised of a college faculty member, a graduated veterinarian, and a third or fourth year veterinary student.
  • A behavior-based interview style is used to assess skills, knowledge, attitudes, and aptitudes pertinent to successful completion of the curriculum and a successful future as a practicing veterinarian.
Phase I scoring is not considered in the final ranking. Final scores for ranking eligibility for admission are derived as follows:
  • Phase Two score = 75% of final decision
  • Phase Three score = 25% of final decision
Okay so this is what I learned when I went through the process: You have to make it past phase I to make it to Phase II THEN based on how you scored in each of those sections together they offer interviews. THEN after your interview they only rank you based on phase II and III - NOT phase I. Every one who interviews either gets a spot or gets put on the waitlist.

If you can make it past the grade cut off (likely if you are IS) and you stand out in the non-academic area you have a pretty good chance IMO because grades do not factor in the last decision. I got in with a 2.8 - 2.9 cumGPA, but I had over 10000hrs of vet experience along with various research projects. I wasn't put on the waitlist while I some of my friends with much higher GPAs were on the waitlist (they eventually got off of it) - so you can make up for a crappy GPA with other areas of your application - at least at UofI.

Reactions: 4 users
They have a three phase process: this is taken from the website directly

Phase One – Cognitive Evaluation
The initial applicant assessment ranks all applicants (usually between 800 to 900) numerically according to a composite score derived from the Cumulative and Science Grade Point Averages, the GRE percentile score, and an evaluation of the rigor of the undergraduate collegiate academic experience.
Phase Two – Non-Cognitive Evaluation
The second phase of the assessment process is a non-academic evaluation of the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application and the Illinois Supplemental application by the Admissions Advisory Committee. Each application is read by a minimum of 3 members of the Committee who have not seen the Phase One information.
The non-academic score is determined by the following factors:
  • VMCAS personal statement
  • Illinois Supplemental essay
  • Animal-related experience
  • Veterinary-related experience
  • Other experiences (research, international studies, business, agribusiness, other careers before application)
  • Community service/citizenship
  • Leadership
  • Initiative/enterprising activities
  • Special recognition (academic, personal, or professional)
  • Electronic Letters of reference (ELOR)
Phase Three – Interview
  • 300+ applicants (130 Illinois residents and 200 non-residents) will be offered a personal interview to be scheduled in mid-to-late February.
  • All applicants will interview on one single day with one of 21 teams of interviewers. Each team is comprised of a college faculty member, a graduated veterinarian, and a third or fourth year veterinary student.
  • A behavior-based interview style is used to assess skills, knowledge, attitudes, and aptitudes pertinent to successful completion of the curriculum and a successful future as a practicing veterinarian.
Phase I scoring is not considered in the final ranking. Final scores for ranking eligibility for admission are derived as follows:
  • Phase Two score = 75% of final decision
  • Phase Three score = 25% of final decision
Okay so this is what I learned when I went through the process: You have to make it past phase I to make it to Phase II THEN based on how you scored in each of those sections together they offer interviews. THEN after your interview they only rank you based on phase II and III - NOT phase I. Every one who interviews either gets a spot or gets put on the waitlist.

If you can make it past the grade cut off (likely if you are IS) and you stand out in the non-academic area you have a pretty good chance IMO because grades do not factor in the last decision. I got in with a 2.8 - 2.9 cumGPA, but I had over 10000hrs of vet experience along with various research projects. I wasn't put on the waitlist while I some of my friends with much higher GPAs were on the waitlist (they eventually got off of it) - so you can make up for a crappy GPA with other areas of your application - at least at UofI.

Thank you so much this made me feel a lot better!! I am an Illinois resident so that's why I'm hoping my own state wants me haha. I did get an interview at an out of state school so if worse comes to worse at least I have one interview.

That's very helpful, thank you!

Rudy--it's really great that you got an interview either way. It seems like a huge hurdle at many schools, especially if you're out of state.

Don't stress out too much over this. Phase I really depends on the people who applied and what the overall GPA/GRE scores are for all of you. They rank everyone based on the scores of the applicants instead of a set criteria, so how it works out changes from year to year. I know it's stressful (which I completely am in the middle of myself with midterms) but it'll all work out. Hope to see you guys in February!

Does anyone know if Illinois has scheduled an interview day yet?

Last year it was Feb 10. Hoping it will be around the same time this year.

Interviews are always early February. Those of you worried about certain science classes not being calculated in your sGPA I believe you can petition to have the grades added, and they review it etc. But just remember your grades are compared to everyone elses so if your botany 101 course that you got an A in is not being counted, neither is Joe's.

Just to put everyone's mind at ease, I applied last year and was interviewed... I was waitlisted, but still...here are my grades as of last year (they're higher now)

cgpa:3.37
sgpa: 3.2

and I got an interview....so....chillax :) No reason to stress yourselves out quite yet :)

Reactions: 4 users
This wait is killing me. I keep going back and forth about applying for grad programs in case I don't get accepted anywhere but then I think about how I can't afford spending $150 on that application and end up not doing it. I'm worried that if I don't get into vet school, my loans will kick in and I won't be able to make payments bc I don't want to be swamped with work when I should be working on getting the experience I need to get in the next cycle. Any advice?

This wait is killing me. I keep going back and forth about applying for grad programs in case I don't get accepted anywhere but then I think about how I can't afford spending $150 on that application and end up not doing it. I'm worried that if I don't get into vet school, my loans will kick in and I won't be able to make payments bc I don't want to be swamped with work when I should be working on getting the experience I need to get in the next cycle. Any advice?

I'm right there with ya! I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I keep going back and forth about grad programs too. I haven't applied yet for them though bc I don't think it's what I want to do haha. And the uncertainty is awful. I'm also very afraid of not getting in, loan payments kicking in, on too of rent, and other bills. And shockingly i don't make a ton of money being a vet assistant. So then I'm like do I find another job in addition , but if I don't get in maybe I should retake some courses, and how will I afford it?? Haha so long story short you're not the only one panicking! A lot of us are and there's a lot on the line! I don't have a solution either other than we have about one more month of waiting... Haha. Now I'm super depressed ha

Just remember by making it this far, you've demonstrated you are resilient. Whatever happens, you'll figure out a way to accomplish what needs to be done.

As far as grad programs, many places will accept students right up to the first week of classes. If there are certain programs you were considering, maybe have a chat with their department heads. Worst case scenario... you can always start a program and then decided not to finish it if you don't like it.

And for loans... everyone's loans are different, but usually you can continue deferring them as long as you're in part time education. I'm very worried about financial everything too. For now though, things are kind of out of our hands.

I'll repeat what I said before for emphasis. ;) Simply having all of the appropriate credentials to apply to vet school is a big feat in and of itself. The waiting is terrible... but try not to psych yourself out. Remind yourself how awesome you are and all of the things you've done. Things will work out!

Reactions: 3 users
Well I know that Ohio offers a master of veterinary public health that if you get in and apply for vet school the next cycle, you don't have to quit the MPH, you just go straight into their dual DVM/MPH program

you can always start a program and then decided not to finish it if you don't like it.

Please do not go in to a graduate program with this attitude unless it is a one year non-thesis master's degree. Grad school is a huge commitment to your professor because you're taking on a project that they worked hard on getting a grant for. These grants have deadlines, so if you leave halfway through a program, you're leaving that professor high and dry. I know of several professors who have been burned this way and trust me, they do not hold a high opinion of those students. I can't say i blame them, receiving grants is their livelihood, it's what keeps the job.

If you do go the grad school route, make sure that PI knows you might leave halfway through.

Please do not go in to a graduate program with this attitude unless it is a one year non-thesis master's degree. Grad school is a huge commitment to your professor because you're taking on a project that they worked hard on getting a grant for. These grants have deadlines, so if you leave halfway through a program, you're leaving that professor high and dry. I know of several professors who have been burned this way and trust me, they do not hold a high opinion of those students. I can't say i blame them, receiving grants is their livelihood, it's what keeps the job.

If you do go the grad school route, make sure that PI knows you might leave halfway through.

Well I just meant if you did a non-thesis masters program. That really doesn't involve a PI and all that... I know because I'm in one now.

Well I just meant if you did a non-thesis masters program. That really doesn't involve a PI and all that... I know because I'm in one now.

Non-thesis sure, leaving halfway through doesn't afftect anyone. I think it's important to distinguish between the two though, because there is a WORLD of difference between them. From what I've encountered, a lot of people don't realize what taking on a thesis program really entails.

Simply having all of the appropriate credentials to apply to vet school is a big feat in and of itself. The waiting is terrible... but try not to psych yourself out. Remind yourself how awesome you are and all of the things you've done. Things will work out!

You should be a student ambassador once you get into vet school! You're a great motivational coach on here! :clap:

I got all excited because I thought interviews went out haha.

Does anyone know how many IS applicants Illinois generally gets?

Anyone else get a rejection letter in the mail today?? In complete shock right now.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What?
Omg I'm freaking out now o.o :uhno:

Oh my gosh, I just ran down to the mail room in my condo to check - nothing from Illinois from me and no change on my status page. I'm so sorry for your news! :(

Last edited:
Well...I'm gonna be scared of the mailbox for the next few days. Does the letter have any info on it or just a simple "thanks but no thanks" message? Did they tell you why? Is your status on the portal changed? I'm so sorry. :/

Oh no, need to call my parents tomorrow to see if I got it. So scared...

I didn't get anything in the mail today...but that doesn't mean much since I live in MI and it might take a little longer to get here....:nailbiting:

I didn't get anything in the mail today...but that doesn't mean much since I live in MI and it might take a little longer to get here....:nailbiting:
I'm an Ohioan. And it says I didn't make it past the academic part based off my GPA. Which is surprising because my GPA is relatively competitive ! Or so I thought! I guess that's why we apply to multiple schools! This is also a wake up call because for some reason I went into this process thinking I would at least get an interview. So now I've been humbled. Ha ha. Congrats to everyone still in the waiting game! I wish you guys the best of luck!!

I'm an Ohioan. And it says I didn't make it past the academic part based off my GPA. Which is surprising because my GPA is relatively competitive ! Or so I thought! I guess that's why we apply to multiple schools! This is also a wake up call because for some reason I went into this process thinking I would at least get an interview. So now I've been humbled. Ha ha. Congrats to everyone still in the waiting game! I wish you guys the best of luck!!
Could you please check to see if your status changed in the portal for those of us that live super far away? I live in Florida and I'll be super anxious for the next week knowing it could come at any time. Also, wtf is up with some of these schools using snail mail when email is faster, cheaper, and more efficient?!?! I swear they do this to torture us. :(