University of Minnesota c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First application cycle OOS! My state doesn't have a vet school so all my apps were OOS. Good luck everyone!
what state? Do they not have contract seats anywhere??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'm going to do any interviews this year because the rotations I'm on during the interview period are not necessarily the most amenable to it, which is a bummer. We'll see how my schedule shakes out.

I will, perhaps, still meet a few of you during the admitted students weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview invite OOS!!! :)

• Care
OOS interview invite!!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS rejection 🤙

• Care
OOS interview invite! Really excited since I did my undergrad there 😊

OOS interview! Rejected last year before interview!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
OOS interview!!!! Wasn’t expecting tbh since my diversity essay was a nightmare (from my perspective)

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview! Second application cycle overall, first time applying to Minnesota. It’s very quickly and quietly become my number one and I’m really excited!

• Care
OOS interview!! This is one of my top 3, so thrilled!

OOS interview! Opened the email fully expecting my 5th rejection

Reactions: 1 user
OOS interview! So excited! After 2 consecutive rejections this feels like a huge win! Any advice on preparation/what to expect is much appreciated!!

OOS interview! So excited! After 2 consecutive rejections this feels like a huge win! Any advice on preparation/what to expect is much appreciated!!
You can find lists of typical behavioral interview questions online - UMN actually has one (not through the CVM) that I think is a really good starting point for people: https://careerhelp.umn.edu/sites/careerhelp.umn.edu/files/2021-05/Behavioral Interview Handout.pdf

I strongly recommend looking through questions like that and making a list of situations you've experienced that might fit. It'll help you to organize it in your head beforehand, rather than trying to think of it on the spot. When you're in the actual interview, give your interviewers as much detail as you can! We're not there living the situation with you, so use the STAR method described up there ^ to really build the picture.

And I know it's stressful, I remember doing it myself, but we really, truly do want to see you guys succeed. Don't be afraid to take a moment to compose your thoughts - the silence is not awkward, I promise. We're rooting for each of you.

• Care
And hugs to those of you who didn't get good news today. Been in that boat myself too and I know how awful it feels. Take some time to let yourself feel the emotions you're feeling, they're valid, and then when you're ready, chin up to tackle the next thing. You're welcome to PM me if you need any pep talks - I was a multi-cycle applicant myself (including at UMN, and was rejected without an interview the first time I applied). Hang in there ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
You can find lists of typical behavioral interview questions online - UMN actually has one (not through the CVM) that I think is a really good starting point for people: https://careerhelp.umn.edu/sites/careerhelp.umn.edu/files/2021-05/Behavioral Interview Handout.pdf

I strongly recommend looking through questions like that and making a list of situations you've experienced that might fit. It'll help you to organize it in your head beforehand, rather than trying to think of it on the spot. When you're in the actual interview, give your interviewers as much detail as you can! We're not there living the situation with you, so use the STAR method described up there ^ to really build the picture.

And I know it's stressful, I remember doing it myself, but we really, truly do want to see you guys succeed. Don't be afraid to take a moment to compose your thoughts - the silence is not awkward, I promise. We're rooting for each of you.
Do you know how many they normally interview?

Do you know how many they normally interview?
I don't, sorry. I'm not privy to stuff like that, I'm a mere interview question asker and tour giver. And occasional q&a panelist, though not so much anymore because I went through the old curriculum so I'm kinda useless on the q&a front now :laugh:

Did anyone who got an interview mark the preference for large animal medicine on the VMCAS application?

Hi all! I am wondering if any of those with interview invites has received a date yet?

Lol spoke too soon, just got the confirmation email and date for my interview!

Just got the confirmation email as well! Friday the 26th! I’m so nervous EEEEE

edit: email says decisions come out second week of February 🫠 that’s such a short turnaround time haha at least the stress won’t lass long

Saturday January 27th! Good luck everyone!

Friday, Feb 2! At least with decisions coming out the second week of Feb, I won't have time to overanalyze how my interview went for long, lol

Jan 25!

Found a wonderful resource straight from UMN!

I can’t find the interview questions on the UMN SDN page like I can for other schools. Does anyone know if they have something like this? I find it more useful than the general behavioral interview questions because you know those questions were asked in interviews