University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now the site's working again. Here's a copy of my cost of attendance.

Cost of Attendance per Semester

Spring 2008

Budget Item Amount
Books and Supplies 1,210.00 USD
Cost of Living 8,708.00
Tuition and Fees 21,379.00
Term Total

USD

Fall 2007

Budget Item Amount
Cost of Living 8,708.00
Term Total

Total COA

USD

This is what I thought would be increased, but it's exactly the same. I know you guys all have much lower tuitions than me, but is your cost of living the same? If so, I'll just assume they haven't gotten around to updating the site.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah, so I can have 3 posts in a row -- regarding the conversation about Manpower above, you still can't get extra living money by doing Manpower. They just subtract what they give you from your COA. Also, oos students can't do it, so I think soonerfan is out of luck on that one.

Plus, it's probably not worth it financially for anyone, but that's a whole other story. It's great if you're passionate about rural primary care, though.

OK, now the site's working again. Here's a copy of my cost of attendance.

Cost of Attendance per Semester

Spring 2008

Budget Item Amount
Cost of Living 8,708.00
Term Total

USD

Fall 2007

Budget Item Amount
Cost of Living 8,708.00
Term Total

Total COA

USD

This is what I thought would be increased, but it's exactly the same. I know you guys all have much lower tuitions than me, but is your cost of living the same? If so, I'll just assume they haven't gotten around to updating the site.

You're looking at the wrong thing. You're supposed to look at the "financial aid summary." To get there - log on, "finances", "2008", "financial aid summary". Additional aid = COA - Total Aid. For me it was pretty substantial ($4749). And you're right-- that whole site is ridiculously counter-intuitive :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I passed the boards while managing to only close two or three doors (Derm, Plastics, and possibly Ortho), none of which I had any interest in anyway :D

Also, I passed the boards while managing to only close two or three doors (Derm, Plastics, and possibly Ortho), none of which I had any interest in anyway :D
Woo-hoo! Congrats, JohnGalt!!!

Hmm, so even looking at the other finaid figures, my numbers are exactly the same. Weird. I did have my financial aid updated a few weeks ago, so maybe it all got changed then. And as mentioned, my financial aid has always been budgeting that $42k figure for tuition and fees. Yes, oos tuition sucks! :mad:

Has anybody signed up for insurance yet? I noticed the policy document mentioned something about having the option to get dental insurance through ameritas when we sign up and that information for the plan would be at macori.com. However, the only dental insurance information at macori is regarding their "ameriplan" dental discount plan which btw has no local participants. It seems a little too good to be true to get real insurance for $200/year, though, so I'm suspecting whatever they're offering will also be one of those dental discount things.

Only 3 weeks left!

Only 3 weeks left!

2 1/2 weeks for us MS1's.

I am currently writing this on my new tablet PC. It is automatically converting my handwriting to text. Pretty sweet.

I hope that it comes in handy for taking notes.

Do you typically get the power points before class or afterward? If before, that will really be good if I decide there are some classes that I need to attend on a consistent basis.

Do you typically get the power points before class or afterward? If before, that will really be good if I decide there are some classes that I need to attend on a consistent basis.

It depends on the lecturer. Some super evil lecturers don't supply their powerpoints at all, but that's very rare. It seems like most of the time they aren't available until after the lecture, but it might be closer to 50/50.

Your first biochem lecturer (Leon) uses an old school overhead projected instead of powerpoints, so don't look for anything from him.

Glad to see we're utilizing the latest technology. :rolleyes:
You can tell Leon he's behind the times - Leon is a nice guy and I'm very fond of him, but if you rub him the wrong way, he can kill with a glance. Just remember, he was teaching medical biochemistry at OU years before you were ever even thought of. But, not to worry - Leon gives you a break the first two weeks - his lectures on gout are at about 1/3 the speed of a normal medical school lecture and you can take notes comfortably with paper and pen - it's a nice break-in to medical school, since you get no such courtesy in anatomy. But, just when you think Leon is old and slow, he'll come back to lecture on porphyrins - and you'll see a different man entirely - he flies! But that's at the end of the semester.

I got really frustrated at Leon because he's probably the last professor left who decided not to allow the PowerPoint "broadcasts" to be posted. Those are really handy tapes because you can see what slide was up on the screen at any point in the audio. Leon thinks if he allows those to be posted, nobody will ever show up (which may well be true in biochem!!). Lucky for you, though, Dr. Blair doesn't have a problem with the PowerPoint broadcasts and you'll have him for neuroscience and physiology both your second semester, and those are probably your biggest challenges for first year. Whether O'Don would agree to PowerPoint broadcasts.... well, you'll have to ask him.

You often don't get the PowerPoints until after the lecture, which drove me crazy because I like to take notes on the PowerPoints while I'm in class (yep, I'm one of those dorky people with a wheeled-bag which I bought after I realized that my 45-year-old back couldn't carry a laptop and a full set of anatomy books). But - what you'll find is that you can pull up the PowerPoint from the year before - generally, only 1 or 2 slides will be different. The instructors will tell you that they can't post the PowerPoints because they're slaving away changing them until the very last second... and it's not quite the truth. Anyway, I wanted to talk to the AV people about trying to set some common drive space up so that when the professor loads the PowerPoint at the beginning of class, everyone could get to it. Maybe I can do that this semester and redeem myself as a helpful class officer!!

Bagel, I think Blue Cross has a fairly decent individual dental plan, don't they?

Come to think of it, the PowerPoints are similar enough that I could loan out my color-laser-printed PowerPoints with copious notes meticulously typed on them, but it would definitely cost ya. I told O'Don I was going to make a fortune from my notes for anatomy, and he was muttering something about stealing intellectual property - so I'd have to cut him in on any anatomy deals. :laugh:

I bet O'Don would be OK with broadcast -- he doesn't seem to be very hung up on people going to class or not. At least his getting rid of the ars points in anatomy seems to indicate that. Eh, I didn't go to biochem even with the broadcasts. I can't imagine what would have given me an incentive to go -- 8 am and biochem = no way in heck I'm going.

Of course broadcasts require you to run windows, so I didn't use them for anything. Dr. Blair was pretty cool in that he posted both the broadcast stuff and the powerpoints by themselves. Now, Dr. Wiechmann was super cool because he posted all his stuff as pdfs -- so much easier and quicker to open than powerpoints.

Yeah, BC/BS does have dental, which I'm sure it OK. It costs about $50/month, which throws you into the whole is it worth it or not category. I was paying that much for my dental through COBRA with my employer but decided to drop it since I wasn't really seeing a benefit. $200/year would be fantastic, but it probably is too good to be true.

Members don't see this ad :)
$50 a month? Ugh. If I stress out and break another molar which needs a crown - I'm just going to have to let the dental students work on me. Actually, they said on the SDN threads last year that the student clinic is pretty good - it just takes forever, since you have to see both the student and his supervising attending multiple times... for a $750 crown, I could tolerate a long wait. :)

If you ask O'Donoghue about class attendance, he's definitely in favor of people being there. At the anatomy course review last year he was paraphrasing some educational research (and personal experience as a teacher) to say that while an A student can still get an A if they don't come to class, it will make a difference for the borderline student.

While there may not be an overtly punitive component to his attendance policy, he does think it will impact more than your sleep schedule. ;)

$50 a month? Ugh. If I stress out and break another molar which needs a crown - I'm just going to have to let the dental students work on me. Actually, they said on the SDN threads last year that the student clinic is pretty good - it just takes forever, since you have to see both the student and his supervising attending multiple times... for a $750 crown, I could tolerate a long wait. :)

Seriously I think I need one of those plastic things that you wear to protect your teeth from grinding. I do the sleep grinding thing. Can't be good.

Hmm, getting to class attendance -- I doubt broadcast makes a difference either way in who goes and who doesn't go to class. Those of us who don't want to go to class aren't going to go regardless of whether broadcast files are released or not. From my understanding, OU's history of homeschooling long predates mp3s.

Those of us who don't want to go to class aren't going to go regardless of whether broadcast files are released or not. From my understanding, OU's history of homeschooling long predates mp3s.
You're very good at home-schooling, and I admire that about you. I'll probably go back to being a class-goer. I home-schooled nearly 100% of block 3 and, while I did OK, my grades were not as high as they had been for blocks 1 and 2. I was reading, listening to tapes, and I thought I was learning everything I needed to know.

Or was it just end-of-year-1 block 3 fatigue?? I do know that I was pretty much useless for the rest of May and all of June. I slept incredible amounts and piddled all day instead of getting worthwhile things done.

They have tooth-guards now that you use boiling water to form at home (not just the old athletic guards, but real tooth guards). I had a bite block but shattered it and no way am I paying $300 or $400 for one again. The latest gig at my dentist is this little thing that just goes over your two front teeth and apparently hurts so bad when you clench that you stop doing it. Unfortunately, my first clue that I'm having teeth-grinding problems again is when I'm spitting out pieces of broken molar into the sink in the morning (yep, no kidding - happened twice, actually).

You're very good at home-schooling, and I admire that about you. I'll probably go back to being a class-goer. I home-schooled nearly 100% of block 3 and, while I did OK, my grades were not as high as they had been for blocks 1 and 2. I was reading, listening to tapes, and I thought I was learning everything I needed to know.

Or was it just end-of-year-1 block 3 fatigue?? I do know that I was pretty much useless for the rest of May and all of June. I slept incredible amounts and piddled all day instead of getting worthwhile things done.

They have tooth-guards now that you use boiling water to form at home (not just the old athletic guards, but real tooth guards). I had a bite block but shattered it and no way am I paying $300 or $400 for one again. The latest gig at my dentist is this little thing that just goes over your two front teeth and apparently hurts so bad when you clench that you stop doing it. Unfortunately, my first clue that I'm having teeth-grinding problems again is when I'm spitting out pieces of broken molar into the sink in the morning (yep, no kidding - happened twice, actually).

I'm just too lazy to go to class and find that attending hours of lectures each day sucks my will to live (and more importantly, study!). My worst academic performance is always the last test block because I'm drained and I spend too much time calculating how poorly I can do and not lower my grade.

Ack, I don't like the idea of the aversive therapy! :scared:

Glad to see we're utilizing the latest technology. :rolleyes:

just wait to the first day of class when you open up your laptop, try to connect to the internet and realize there is no wireless access in the lecture halls.

my financial aid has not been updated to reflect this alleged financial aid adjustment. its the same as it always was at just shy of 39k. i figure ill need more than that since i spent more than that last year and this year is more expensive, plus i have some debt accumulated this summer. i guess i need to email financial aid.

So, I got some info in the mail on the MS1 schedule for August and September, and from what I can tell it looks like anatomy lab is only going to be on MWF afternoons.

For some reason I was thinking that someone told me in the past it alternated MWF one week and TTh the next, but maybe I was dreaming.

So, I got some info in the mail on the MS1 schedule for August and September, and from what I can tell it looks like anatomy lab is only going to be on MWF afternoons.

For some reason I was thinking that someone told me in the past it alternated MWF one week and TTh the next, but maybe I was dreaming.

Nope, that's how it was for us. I don't know how the dissection groups will work with O'Don in charge, but we only had to go every other M, W, or F.

Nope, that's how it was for us. I don't know how the dissection groups will work with O'Don in charge, but we only had to go every other M, W, or F.

Which is great because you're only in lab one to two afternoons a week! I strongly suspect you guys will still be alternating dissections because there's not room for more cadavers, and 8 people standing around a cadaver just doesn't work.

What I did notice from looking at the schedule is that O'Don is moving head and neck to the second block. The other surprising thing is that Chung is on the schedule for giving some lectures. I don't know if that's a mistake, or if you guys are going to get to experience the joy of a Chung lecture. I love Dr. Chung, so if so, it's a good thing, imo!

So maybe that's where I got the alternation from...I personally like it that we only have to be in the dungeon 1-2 days/wk.

What I did notice from looking at the schedule is that O'Don is moving head and neck to the second block. The other surprising thing is that Chung is on the schedule for giving some lectures. I don't know if that's a mistake, or if you guys are going to get to experience the joy of a Chung lecture. I love Dr. Chung, so if so, it's a good thing, imo!

The schedule I got in the mail only goes to the first test block.

I got it from the online schedule on hippocrates. Do you guys have hippo access yet? I don't think we got it until orientation, but it would have been nice to have gotten it earlier.

Not as far as I know. I sent in the IT form way back, but never heard anything. I kind of assumed they would tell us how to access it during orientation.

But yes, it would be nice to have campus network access before school starts.

So I can be like Bagel and have lots of post in one day too.... :D

I was poking around on the OU COM website and found this:

http://medicine.ouhsc.edu/curriculum/pdf/BS-07-19-07.pdf

It has some pretty interesting information about the USMLE scores from this year and last year.

Yeah, interesting. I guess I called it with bi-modal on my OU information thing.

Editing to add that I did some research to interpret what those scores meant since they used the 2 digit instead of the 3 digit score. One, the two digit is not a percentile -- this seems to be a common sdn misconception. Following that, here are where the breakdowns appear to be based on reported scores in the usmle forum.

99 -- high 230s -- at least somewhere above 235, but it starts below 240.
95 -- high 220s
90 -- looks like this starts at 218

The mean for the test this year was 218 with an SD of 23.

What was the highest score on Step 1?

A Step 1 score of 235+ makes one fairly competitive for all specialties if I recall correctly, right?

What changes have attributed to the increase of 235+ scores, or is the 2009 class just a bunch of bad@sses?

I've been reviewing the Step 1 forum, and a lot of people are receiving a two-digit score of 99 which in turn is equaling to a three-digit score of 250+ and in some cases 260+. Huh? If the two-digit score isn't a percentile, then what is it?

What changes have attributed to the increase of 235+ scores, or is the 2009 class just a bunch of bad@sses?

It's just us. We're pretty much just that good.

Seriously though, I think we just have a pretty good class. Our test averages throughout first and second year were consistently a couple points higher than the class or two before us. I think we just sort ended up with with an unusually high number of really smart people.

I've been reviewing the Step 1 forum, and a lot of people are receiving a two-digit score of 99 which in turn is equaling to a three-digit score of 250+ and in some cases 260+. Huh? If the two-digit score isn't a percentile, then what is it?

It works kind of like a percentile, in that 99 is the highest possible, and as the three digit scores go down, so do the two-digit scores. It's just not actually a percentile, because way more than 1 percent of people get a 99. Does that make sense?

Also, while 250+ certainly does get you a 99, it actually goes a lot lower than that. The lowest I've personally heard this year was a 231/99

http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

Page 11 gives you a good idea of where you need to score for what specialty. Remember those that these are show IQRs meaning that half of matching residents in that field score above or below those lines.

It's somewhere above that. I got 232/97. :p
Rock on, Amxcvbcv!! I know the MS-III's post on here, too - but all this discussion about Step I when I haven't even had 1 day of second year yet is making me a little queasy in my stomach. Typical of the newbie MS-0's to be asking about it in detail, though (hehehe).

It's somewhere above that. I got 232/97. :p

My understanding is that you actually can have one person get a 231/99 and another person get a 232/97. There aren't "cut-offs" for the 2 digit score. What I've heard is that the 2 digit score takes into account how difficult your particular test was, while the 3 digit is based primarily on correct answers or some such nonsense. I don't know how true all that is, but in any event there are definitely inconsistencies between 3 digit scores and 2 digit scores that would make both of those possible.

My understanding is that you actually can have one person get a 231/99 and another person get a 232/97. There aren't "cut-offs" for the 2 digit score. What I've heard is that the 2 digit score takes into account how difficult your particular test was, while the 3 digit is based primarily on correct answers or some such nonsense. I don't know how true all that is, but in any event there are definitely inconsistencies between 3 digit scores and 2 digit scores that would make both of those possible.

If that is the case, would it be better to have a harder test and get a 99, or have an easier version and get a higher three digit score.
More importantly, are you required to report both scores to a residency program. The reason I ask is that the NRMP only reports the median and standard deviation of the three digit scores?
:cool:

Well, that's kind of irksome.

Why do the scores have to be so obtuse?

just wait to the first day of class when you open up your laptop, try to connect to the internet and realize there is no wireless access in the lecture halls.

my financial aid has not been updated to reflect this alleged financial aid adjustment. its the same as it always was at just shy of 39k. i figure ill need more than that since i spent more than that last year and this year is more expensive, plus i have some debt accumulated this summer. i guess i need to email financial aid.

Have you heard back from them yet? I just sent them an email, too.

I do find it weird how they budget us less money for this year than they did for last year when we have all the board expenses.

Seriously? Is this still the case, or should I purchase an Ethernet cord? How many other places around campus are lacking WiFi?

Seriously? Is this still the case, or should I purchase an Ethernet cord? How many other places around campus are lacking WiFi?

Really just the classrooms, and you can occasionally get access in the MS2 lecture hall. The mods, library and student union all have wireless access. But, yeah, you need the old ethernet cord for the classrooms. My guess is that they invested all sorts of money in setting up the internet plugins in the classrooms right before wireless became readily available, so they can't justify just dumping it and switching going wireless. Way back in 2002 or so, the classrooms would be pretty high tech.

Of course all it would take is one or two wireless access points placed in the lecture halls. A couple of Cisco Aironets might put you back $2000. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe they are afraid to raise our tuition to pay for that ;).

Of course all it would take is one or two wireless access points placed in the lecture halls. A couple of Cisco Aironets might put you back $2000. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe they are afraid to raise our tuition to pay for that ;).

Honestly with a big wide open space it really wouldn't take very many access points to make it happen. Heck, go to Wal-Mart and get some really cheap ones and daisy chain them and you could do it for less than $500/room.

No wireless in the lecture halls? That is disappointing.:thumbdown: Although, perhaps it is better that I don't have that as a distraction.

Anyone in the class of 2011.. I received some paperwork regarding loan disbursement through my lender. They had my roommate's and my graduation date set as 2013 (Hope that doesn't come true:rolleyes:). Anyway, I contacted FinAid and they corrected it for me. Just a heads up in case you chose the same one.:cool:

Ah yes, I forgot my question. If I don't do direct deposit with the Bursar Office, is the waiting line as insanely long at OUHSC as it is in Norman?

Ah yes, I forgot my question. If I don't do direct deposit with the Bursar Office, is the waiting line as insanely long at OUHSC as it is in Norman?

I've never seen more than 2-3 people in line at the HSC Bursar's office, but I don't go very often. I don't recall, but I don't think I've been there during the "peak" times of the year.

Up here at HSC, I think they mail your excess disbursement check. They did mine, 'cause I hadn't done direct deposit, and it got sent back because the postman at my new house didn't know my name yet. The bursar's office e-mailed me and held my check, but they got rather p*ssy about my not doing direct deposit. Not that you have to, but they make it pretty clear that they prefer it...

sorry, gotta vent a little

man, general surgery call blows bigtime....i hate drug addicts....they are always f*cking up my sleep opportunities.

mr. coke head came in the ER last night with a huge abcess in his anticubital region extending out prolly 10-12 cm. He's POD #5 s/p I&D (same abcess) who left AMA cause he's a ****. Hadn't changed the w->d pack since surgery. When i removed the packing, a river of purulent scheisse poured (like milk out of a pitcher)....anyways i pack it after bedside i&d and 4 of morphine...the guy is crying like a baby in the er. This morning when i round on him he bitches me out for 10 mins because he's NPO. I try to explain to him he cant eat because the surg attending needed to eval him for possibility of debridement. he was so pissed and was threatening to leave ama (again)...finally i just said F-it man. do what you wanna do, but you leave again without abx, youre gonna lose your arm.

my upper level about busted a gut when i presented to him....stay classy north tulsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.