University of Oklahoma -- all peeps -- part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mr. coke head came in the ER last night with a huge abcess in his anticubital region extending out prolly 10-12 cm. He's POD #5 s/p I&D (same abcess) who left AMA cause he's a ****. Hadn't changed the w->d pack since surgery. When i removed the packing, a river of purulent scheisse poured (like milk out of a pitcher)....anyways i pack it after bedside i&d and 4 of morphine...the guy is crying like a baby in the er. This morning when i round on him he bitches me out for 10 mins because he's NPO. I try to explain to him he cant eat because the surg attending needed to eval him for possibility of debridement. he was so pissed and was threatening to leave ama (again)...finally i just said F-it man. do what you wanna do, but you leave again without abx, youre gonna lose your arm.

I just love how every industry has its own language. The healthcare industry likes lots of letters. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Wal-Mart - purple nitrile. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I found them in the pharmacy area near the diabetic supplies.

I really have no idea what DMBFan61 just said, and I am hopeful that I am not alone among the other MS1's. I caught Junky with a bad infection and worse attitude...

Anyway, in a very "My Name Is Earl" mentality, I am pretty sure Karma is out to get me for something. That, or I am storing up some karmic debt for some future boon. Not the summer of slacking and enjoyment that I hoped for.

Any one know some good voice recognition software that will understand medical terminology?

Final non sequitor, Simpsons Movie was a laugh!

I really have no idea what DMBFan61 just said, and I am hopeful that I am not alone among the other MS1's. I caught Junky with a bad infection and worse attitude...

I had to get my wife to interpret...she speaks medicinese. :D

Then I was IMing (is that a verb?) with a friend who is a 3rd year at OSU, and he threw some PERRLA at me. I had to get my wife to interpret that too.

It's like doctors a long time ago sat around and said: "How many random combinations of letters can we throw together to make it so no one else knows what the crap we're talking about?" I like to think of it as gang signs for MDs; you could be totally screwed as a patient and never know it.

It's like doctors a long time ago sat around and said: "How many random combinations of letters can we throw together to make it so no one else knows what the crap we're talking about?" I like to think of it as gang signs for MDs; you could be totally screwed as a patient and never know it.
Pupils equal, round, and reactive to light and accomodation. What's so hard about that?? :laugh: No worries, you'll receive a mind-numbingly long list of common medical abbreviations in your Principles of Clinical Medicine I class - no previous experience required. I think I knew most of 'em after 20 years in the biz - but, I think it's fair to say that medicine is the most abbreviation-heavy profession in the world. I would guess that the number of abbreviations you'll know by graduation will run into the hundreds, if not thousands. Then you'll go to a hospital who is running an anti-chart-error campaign, and you'll find that you're prohibited from using many of the "classic" abbreviations.

I'll let you in on a secret that probably a dozen doctors at the hospital told me. The abbreviation "WNL" is understood by everyone in healthcare to mean "within normal limits." The true meaning, known only to physicians, is "we never looked."

Anyway, in a very "My Name Is Earl" mentality, I am pretty sure Karma is out to get me for something. That, or I am storing up some karmic debt for some future boon. Not the summer of slacking and enjoyment that I hoped for.

Any one know some good voice recognition software that will understand medical terminology?

Final non sequitor, Simpsons Movie was a laugh!

sorry about that. i wouldnt have done that unless i was in a rush to get off the computer....anyways, dont worry about not knowing abbreviations like that. you'll know most of them by 3rd year, and the ones you dont, you'll very quickly pick up. its impressive how fast you learn by seeing patients instead of memorizing a worthless syllabus.

anyone wanna help me out with ventilator management?!??!?! PLEASE???

almost forgot, to the MSIs and IIs good luck.

MSIs...enjoy OD and McNeil...you wont realize how much fun they are until its too late....

MSIIs...get on top of IHI from day 1. you'll never have an easier time in there than the 1st 2 weeks. after that.....astroglide, prayer, and stiff drinks...

almost forgot, to the MSIs and IIs good luck.

Thanks!

So I got the book for Embryology and the Big Moore for anatomy. The embryology book is so tiny and Moore's book is just enormous. I guess the sizes are a graphic representation of the relative time each course will take.

Thanks!

So I got the book for Embryology and the Big Moore for anatomy. The embryology book is so tiny and Moore's book is just enormous. I guess the sizes are a graphic representation of the relative time each course will take.
Sort of. Embryo is not rocket science, but it can be a considerable pain for just two hours of lecture a week. Moore's is extremely verbose, but readable. Langman's embryology looks like a nice Readers' Digest size book that you might keep on the top of the toilet tank. However, it's one of those books where you can read a paragraph and realize two minutes later that you haven't understood a word of it yet. Fortunately, Langman's is pretty much a supplement. Don't forget to get your trusty atlas and biochem books! (Radcliffe's has all the MS-I books out and properly tagged - and nothing tagged for MS-II yet - although I did go ahead and buy Robbins to amuse myself until class starts).

Serious advice on embryo - go to Dr. Tomasek's lectures in Block 1 and keep current with the material as it goes along. You'll learn names of cells and cell layers out the kazoo that really won't seem all that interesting at the time - but it lays a foundation for everything that follows. If I had kept current in block 1 instead of playing catch-up, I don't think I would have been quite as fried by Tomasek's tricky block 1 test. You'll be very tempted to devote 100% of your effort to biochem and gross with the logic that you will catch-up the "small stuff" later - that can work fine for HB, but embryo can sneak up and bite you in backside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to get your trusty atlas and biochem books!

Going on Saturday to Tulsa to get some hand me downs from a friend there. I think a Netters, Chung's BRS, and something else that I can't remember. I was bored back in around Feb and bought a Rohen's and some Netter's flashcards and have been perusing them at my leisure (yeah I know I'm a dork for doing that but I was bored).

I already got a used Lippincott's for biochem a while back too. Is there another one that is worth getting?

I already got a used Lippincott's for biochem a while back too. Is there another one that is worth getting?
If you've got a Netter's, Chung's, Moore's, and the flashcards you should be in pretty good shape for gross. After I bought the paper flashcards I decided to splurge on the flashcards for my PDA - much easier to carry (and the neuro flashcards for PDA are way cool for your second semester).

On biochem... as I've said before, I'm a book person. I usually buy all the books and plan to keep them around (everyone else saves that extra book money in the budget for beer or something, I think - but even buying every single book new, I think I only spent $700 first semester). And I do find myself grabbing a book from the shelf now and then while I'm studying. So, with that preface... everyone else will tell you not to buy the two supplemental books that Leon lists for the course. In my opinion, the Medical Biochemistry text is well worth buying - it explains some concepts in blocks 2 and 3 much better than Lippincott, and I think it improved my test score. Medical Genetics is perhaps not worth buying because Dr. Bidichandani is a brilliant scientist and a gifted lecturer, his PowerPoints are extremely well-done, and his syllabus is excellent - he'll teach you everything you need to know about genetics (if only this were true of all the profs!).

By the way - no, you don't need a PDA for MS-I or II at all; I'm just one of those wonky people who happens to own one. But now that huge memory cards are dirt cheap, I can carry the .pdf syllabi for all my classes in my hip pocket. I'm so old that I just get a kick out of that.

I was having embryo nightmares last night. Embryo was not so much my favorite class at all. Some people liked it - if you're having babies, you may be fascinated by it. Not being into reproduction myself, I find OB and Peds to be a little tedious (no Family Medicine for this one). I think the problem with embryo is that, while there are light and electron micrographs of developing structures available, they're only for intellectual curiosity - they're useless for study. So, get ready for drawing-after-drawing-after-drawing, which bored me. Lessee, I think ectoderm is blue, mesoderm is red, and endoderm is yellow - over and over and over. It's all mesenchyme to me! The only real photographs you get to see are of defects that you would probably rather not see.

So, put that in your branchial pouch and smoke it. :laugh:

I'll give them one thing - they have done a very nice job of coordinating material, which I'm sure was not easy. When you're doing the thorax in anatomy, you'll also do the developing heart/lungs in embryo - which tends to reinforce the material. When you get to O'Don's embryo lecture on the developing brain and cranial nerves - well, let's just say that I'm glad I'm not you. Another rite of passage.

By the way - no, you don't need a PDA for MS-I or II at all; I'm just one of those wonky people who happens to own one. But now that huge memory cards are dirt cheap, I can carry the .pdf syllabi for all my classes in my hip pocket. I'm so old that I just get a kick out of that.

I'll second that. I had an old PDA during MS1/2 that I never really used. It was okay for schedule type stuff, but not much else.

For MS3 I bought a new one and it's pretty much indispensable. Having ready access to Epocrates for dosages and fun medical calculators (corrected calcium and sodium are the biggies so far) is very nice. I hear, but haven't tried, that the Washington Manual of therapeutics is available for free on Palm products. Couple those with a PDA version of Sanford's Guide to Antimicrobials and you don't need much else in your pockets (Maxwell's, stethoscope, reflex hammer, and a pen light).

So a few of us posted a while back about the financial aid increase. My financial aid was just increased last week, and it looks like I got around $1600 extra for the whole year.

Also, you can get the $500 emergency loan now. There's only a $2 fee for getting the loan, so if you need cash (or even want some cash :) ), it might be worth checking out. One new need for cash -- the online macori insurance registration is only accepting a bank draft and not a cc payment, but you have until 9/14 to enroll, so you can wait for financial aid.

So any thoughts about books for second year? All I have right now are FA and Goljan's rapid review pathology.

So any thoughts about books for second year? All I have right now are FA and Goljan's rapid review pathology.

I really liked BRS Pathology for IHI, and I know several classmates really liked it as well. You'll have to annotate it quite a bit for IHI, but come next spring it works really well for the comprehensive final and Step 1. Thankfully the IHI syllabus is pretty good. I didn't use anything extra for MMI or pharmacology (in the fall, at least). Next spring you might want to look into BRS Behavioral Sciences for HB Step 1 review. It's a very quick and thorough review.

That's all I can think of for now.

I really liked BRS Pathology for IHI, and I know several classmates really liked it as well. You'll have to annotate it quite a bit for IHI, but come next spring it works really well for the comprehensive final and Step 1. Thankfully the IHI syllabus is pretty good. I didn't use anything extra for MMI or pharmacology (in the fall, at least). Next spring you might want to look into BRS Behavioral Sciences for HB Step 1 review. It's a very quick and thorough review.

That's all I can think of for now.

Cool -- glad to hear I don't have to spend much money now. :)

I haven't gotten my health insurance yet, and I was wondering if anyone has had both Blue Cross Blue Shield and Macori and would like to share some insight. My wife and I will be needing a teeth cleaning and checkup soon. Plus, my first born son will be here soon (October), and I know he's gonna have to see the doc a lot. Any comments?

I don't know if I should be excited or dreading orientation. I am looking forward to meeting everyone at pre-orientation, though. As far as the white-coat ceremony, I am in need of one additional seat (making a total of 7 guests). Is there a possibility that Lisa Jacques will grant me an additional ticket?

:cool:

THE University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2011

I haven't gotten my health insurance yet, and I was wondering if anyone has had both Blue Cross Blue Shield and Macori and would like to share some insight. My wife and I will be needing a teeth cleaning and checkup soon. Plus, my first born son will be here soon (October), and I know he's gonna have to see the doc a lot. Any comments?

I don't know if I should be excited or dreading orientation. I am looking forward to meeting everyone at pre-orientation, though. As far as the white-coat ceremony, I am in need of one additional seat (making a total of 7 guests). Is there a possibility that Lisa Jacques will grant me an additional ticket?

:cool:

Hopefully she will.. I know I reserved less than the 6 allowed.

Do we get our tickets at orientation or in the mail?

Hopefully she will.. I know I reserved less than the 6 allowed.

Do we get our tickets at orientation or in the mail?

I didn't even know we were getting tickets. I did reserve for the full 6 guests though.

I hope we get them at orientation if there are actual tickets; otherwise, I won't get them if they send them in the mail. They still have my old address, I don't have my mail forwarded yet, as I haven't sold my house, and I won't be going down before the weekend after tomorrow. :eek:

I didn't even know we were getting tickets. I did reserve for the full 6 guests though.

I hope we get them at orientation if there are actual tickets; otherwise, I won't get them if they send them in the mail. They still have my old address, I don't have my mail forwarded yet, as I haven't sold my house, and I won't be going down before the weekend after tomorrow. :eek:
No, there are no physical "tickets" - they just don't want to run out of chairs. I'm sure you can get one extra seat if you need it - lots of people don't use the full 6 allotment.

I guess I'll get to know you 2011 folks very soon - you'll see more of me than you wanted to. I was counting on a relaxing last summer week at the pool - but, no-o-o-o!! Not for class officers or members of Stat (the ambassadors) - and I'm both. I have your pre-orientation picnic Tuesday night, your module team-building thingie on Wednesday, and both your Anatomical Donor Luncheon and your White Coat on Friday. And I have to wear a white coat and tie on Wednesday and Friday when you guys get to wear whatever (a tie isn't mandatory for you for the luncheon I don't think - just try to look business-casual nice).

B*tching aside, it'll be a special week for you guys. Enjoy. I remember being riveted last year. (Actually, I also have kind of a sadistic urge to hang around next Monday afternoon when you meet your anatomy tutors - but O'Don wouldn't approve.)

I'm counting on being able to see soonereng from the other side of the room - you other guys will have to say "hey." I'm in my-40's, blond, mustache and VanDyke. Can't miss me.

Umm, as far as I know without re-reading the Certificate of Coverage, you're going to have a problem with Macori and a pre-existing condition (pregnancy) - as in, no coverage for the delivery. If you have a chance to COBRA your current coverage from yours or your wife's employer, I would suggest not letting your 90 days run out. After the delivery, if you add your son to Macori and drop COBRA, your son will need to be seen for routine care in the Family Medicine Clinic, and I'm sure they'll do a good job for you (all primary care on the Macori policy is through the FMC).

I assume you mean BCBS dental. I didn't bother with it, and don't know many people who did. I pay cash for my cleanings and, as posted earlier, if I shatter a molar and need a $750 crown, I'm heading over to OU Dental to beg for mercy.

In the orientation description it says for men to wear tie and slacks. I assume that means all three days?

In the orientation description it says for men to wear tie and slacks. I assume that means all three days?

Yeah, unfortunately. I never really got why we had to dress up for all of orientation, but that's the way it goes. Some guys wore a suit jacket, too, but that's definitely not required. As for the women, it's a lot easier -- you can skip the hose and can go for open-toed shoes.

Yeah, unfortunately. I never really got why we had to dress up for all of orientation, but that's the way it goes. Some guys wore a suit jacket, too, but that's definitely not required. As for the women, it's a lot easier -- you can skip the hose and can go for open-toed shoes.
I must have blocked that part out of my memory. But I do remember sweating like a pig in a dress shirt and khakis at the pre-orientation 5:30pm-in-August-and-still-100-degrees 'picnic' because I wanted to look 'appropriate.' While the Class of 2009 was in shorts, of course. Now, for orientation, if you're not happy in a tie, just sit in the first two or three rows of the auditorium - it's like stepping into a deep freeze (we carry jackets to class in August for a reason).

Tomorrow night it's cargo shorts and sandals!

You guys don't need to buy gloves yet. They'll have a lot of extras for you in the lab for the first week. Also, the Tulsa people gave our mod a box of free gloves, and you might very well have a dissection partner who has easy access to gloves -- I did and consequently didn't have to buy gloves all year. :)

And get prepared to hear a lot of "you just have to find what works for you" when asking about how to study. :laugh:

5:30 tomorrow, huh?

That's about when I get out of class. Anybody want to hear from a tired MS3? ;)
Sure, come by. I want to hear all about your adventures on the medical service. And you can terrify the newbies!

So does anybody have the schedule for orientation like when it starts and when it ends each day? I have a friend who's going and either hasn't gotten or has somehow misplaced the schedule. Thanks!

Also, have you guys gotten your mod assignments yet?

So does anybody have the schedule for orientation like when it starts and when it ends each day? I have a friend who's going and either hasn't gotten or has somehow misplaced the schedule. Thanks!

Also, have you guys gotten your mod assignments yet?

The only schedule I got just shows orientation all day long on Wed-Fri.

In the last mailing it says:

8:15 a.m. - Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. - Call to Order and Welcome

It doesn't have an end time though.

I haven't gotten any mod assignment yet either.

Thanks! Yeah, I can't remember if we had more detailed information about orientation at this point. As I recall, they provided us with lunch so it does go until at least 2 or 3 pm. We did have our mod assignments, though, because we met with our mods at the pre-orientation thing that you guys are having tonight.

Huh. I wondered if they mailed a packet that hasn't come to you yet - we had our mod assignments by this time last year.

Hey, can you tell me when the Tulsa campus presentation is scheduled to begin and end? I think it's either Thursday or Friday. Those guys are friends of mine, and I want to be sure I'm around to say 'hey' to 'em. Thanks!

Huh. I wondered if they mailed a packet that hasn't come to you yet - we had our mod assignments by this time last year.

Hey, can you tell me when the Tulsa campus presentation is scheduled to begin and end? I think it's either Thursday or Friday. Those guys are friends of mine, and I want to be sure I'm around to say 'hey' to 'em. Thanks!

Well, the last mailing that I got specifically said it would be the last mailing of the summer, so I'm not really expecting another one.

What I have doesn't have a detailed breakdown of the orientation schedule, but if/when we get one I'll PM you.

Yeah, my friend hasn't received a mailing with his mod schedule yet, either, so I guess you guys will get it tomorrow. Last year, we received it about a week before school started along with a list of everyone's names and email addresses.

My ill-prepared tip -- bring a pen or pencil. I didn't have one in my bag and had to share one with my neighbor when doing the bloodborn pathogens quiz.

And I do find myself grabbing a book from the shelf now and then while I'm studying. So, with that preface... everyone else will tell you not to buy the two supplemental books that Leon lists for the course. In my opinion, the Medical Biochemistry text is well worth buying - it explains some concepts in blocks 2 and 3 much better than Lippincott, and I think it improved my test score. Medical Genetics is perhaps not worth buying because Dr. Bidichandani is a brilliant scientist and a gifted lecturer, his PowerPoints are extremely well-done, and his syllabus is excellent - he'll teach you everything you need to know about genetics (if only this were true of all the profs!).

keep in mind that all the textbooks have at least one copy at the library and they usually arent checked out, so if you need something like Medical Biochemistry for one section, you can likely check it out for a week. i used four books for fall semester, netters, chung, rohen, and little bit of embryo. spring was brs phys (for the final). the moral of the story, if you know the syllabus cold, you will do well. everything else is supplemental.

Yeah, and it's like really hard and stuff. You better study. ;)
That's so cruel.... I love it. Hey, Dr. Bagel, there's a 2011 girl who looks a lot like you! So of course, I liked her immediately.

You home yet, glp? I saw a lot of the mod tonight, and we missed ya.

That's so cruel.... I love it.

It was nice to meet you NTT.

I can't sleep. Between being excited about school starting and coughing my lungs out, I'm counting tonight's sleep in the "Lost to Medschool" column. I'm sure it won't be the last one to go in that column. ;)

So now I have for my sleep: "Lost to Pregnancy", "Lost to Medschool", and will be adding "Lost to Babies" in the next couple months. All of which I'm sure will be surpassed by "Lost to Residency" in the future. :scared:

A whole day of orientation and now nothing here? I'm surprised. :p

Did you all decide to go home? ;)

I hope what I said at orientation made sense and is helpful. I really should have thought more about it beforehand.

I hope what I said at orientation made sense and is helpful. I really should have thought more about it beforehand.

Oh, so you were one of the MS3s who talked to us today? I think you both made good points about some things to expect.

These guys just aren't as chatty as we were. I'd wish I'd known you were there today - I would have shown-up to hear it!

I just love how every industry has its own language. The healthcare industry likes lots of letters. :eek:

Don't worry about it. If I'd have read that post last year, I would have been totally clueless. You pick it up VERY quickly third year... especially at stupid Presby that has stupid paper charts that make my notes take forever.... WAAAAAH I miss the VA computer system :( :( :( That said, I am enjoying the better patient population!!

Oh, and DMB he sounds like a real winner... like my leukemia patient with Klan tattoos... it's really kinda hard to feel too sorry for the guy...

I actually miss all the old guys at the VA. I was also used to the way that place smelled. PT just seems funkier to me. :p

I think I can safely say I'm not interested in doing an IM residency.

haha thats great....yeah, and my 5th week of general surgery has really solidified my liking of anesthesia....its all about the ABCs...Airway, Breathing, Coffee.... :D

That's so cruel.... I love it. Hey, Dr. Bagel, there's a 2011 girl who looks a lot like you! So of course, I liked her immediately.

Interesting. Hmm, I'll have to look through their composite to see if I can figure out who it is. :)

So on the news to some of us, apparently they told the newbies that they're going to start construction on the school in the spring, and we're all going to be kicked out of our mods. Sounds like good news! So you 2012 people might get a completely new and super fancy mod.

Interesting. Hmm, I'll have to look through their composite to see if I can figure out who it is. :)

So on the news to some of us, apparently they told the newbies that they're going to start construction on the school in the spring, and we're all going to be kicked out of our mods. Sounds like good news! So you 2012 people might get a completely new and super fancy mod.

Yeah, I forget which building they said we were going to move into. Basically they are going to start on it over Christmas break and hopefully be done for the start of school in the fall of 2008. I'm pretty excited about it honestly. They are supposed to show us some architectural renderings sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.