University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Joel was super helpful. He called me back yesterday, I did leave a message last week so it took him a couple of days but he was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so... I just went for the interview last weekend and they're still going through applications to make more invites. Easier said than done but stay patient :)

Dr. Buser was teaching our class hvla today for 4 hours. He was most likely too busy with that today and will (hopefully) be calling tomorrow!

Is there a time window he'll be calling through?

Is there a time window he'll be calling through?
It can be anywhere from like 9-5. 3 of us interviewed the same day and one got his call at 9 am and I didn't get mine till like 6 and I was panicking.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there. First year med student here. If you were part of the Saturday group of interviews, I was one of the students answering questions. You guys seemed like a group of really awesome people, so I hope that each and everyone of you guys get the call! Good luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me and I can try to answer any and all questions

Reactions: 2 users
I have not heard anything yet either, and thank you fobaby19! I loved the atmosphere on Saturday. All of the students there were really helpful and fun to talk to. Hopefully we all hear some good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Joel was super helpful. He called me back yesterday, I did leave a message last week so it took him a couple of days but he was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!! I been trying to reach both of them but nothing yet.

:soexcited: ... Received the call.

Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect.
Had a good day there, left with positive impressions of the school, but had a demanding interview.

But yeah, I'm really happy. I'm going to weigh my options now and will see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received the call as well, congrats everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Ahhh, just landed and still in an airplane. No voicemails but I'm really hoping for some good news!!

ACCEPTED! Yeahhhhhhh boiiiii!! Just got the call

Reactions: 2 users
:soexcited: ... Received the call.

Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect.
Had a good day there, left with positive impressions of the school, but had a demanding interview.

But yeah, I'm really happy. I'm going to weigh my options now and will see what happens.
Congrats!

Do they leave voicemails if you're phone was off? Any chance of more acceptances tomorrow?

Do they leave voicemails if you're phone was off? Any chance of more acceptances tomorrow?
Yeah I'd even give it till Tuesday but he makes his phone calls over the span of a few days. I didn't get a call until 2 days after the first calls were sent out. Hang in there. You will find out very soon, yay or nay (let's hope it's a yay)

Yeah I'd even give it till Tuesday but he makes his phone calls over the span of a few days. I didn't get a call until 2 days after the first calls were sent out. Hang in there. You will find out very soon, yay or nay (let's hope it's a yay)
All decisions should be out by today.
You should hear today, either a call, or an email with hold or accept.

can anyone give any info on the housing that is avaible down there? I have a family with a dog so i anticipate it being hard to find. also what is the average rent?

can anyone give any info on the housing that is avaible down there? I have a family with a dog so i anticipate it being hard to find. also what is the average rent?
Depends on how far out you want to live. I like close with a 2 BR/1 bath for $710, but no pets. There's a couple 2 BR downtown I know that are about $800 that allow pets, but on average the places I could see families are like $1000.

Last edited:

Your best bet is to join the Facebook page as soon as it's created. A lot of older students will join your group and start posting housing options. I too moved with my family (wife and a 1 year old) so we needed more space. Expect rent to be from 700-1100. Also another page you should join is KYCOM SAA (student advocate association) cause sometimes they list housing avaiabilities through there. It's pretty much a "word of mouth" type effort to find housing. This is the only downfall about Pikeville in my opinion. There aren't many internet housing listings. But just know they are out there, but you just gotta find it.

Can someone tell me how much the deposit is and how many days I have to respond with it?

$1000 at this point 2 weeks I think?
Cool. Thanks for replying.

Actually, a friend of mine (and I also just read it myself too) told me that the in the DO information book it says, Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
And after that date it's only 2 weeks. So, I personally received the call on the 14th. And hopefully that means, I still have a month. Does this all sound about right to you? I'll call KYCOM next week, though, to make sure.

(And it's really nice of KYCOM to actually accept me on the 14th and not 15th, if that all indeed is the case.)

Thanks again.

So if I haven't heard by today after the 1-9 interview, does that mean rejection?

Was wondering if any current students could elaborate on what they do for fun/socializing when you get the chance?

Was wondering if any current students could elaborate on what they do for fun/socializing when you get the chance?
Some people like to go out and hike or run, we have a runners group.
Some people like to go to karaoke at the smokehouse.
Some go to the bar.
We do a lot of things with each other honestly.

Some people like to go out and hike or run, we have a runners group.
Some people like to go to karaoke at the smokehouse.
Some go to the bar.
We do a lot of things with each other honestly.

Ok cool thanks! The students really seemed like a tight-knit group, so that was awesome to see.

I was also wondering how many students also take the USMLE? Are you guys encouraged/supported to do this? Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your suggestions!! I was wondering to the current med students, if you have some extra time, I have a few Q;
how difficult is the first semster/first year?
What was the class that you felt was the most difficult?
Was there anyone who failed a class/failed out?
and is there anything you would do/study before school starts to prepare?
Thank you so very much!

Thank you for your suggestions!! I was wondering to the current med students, if you have some extra time, I have a few Q;
how difficult is the first semster/first year?
In first year now. The first semester was a very hard transition but I caught on and passed everything. It wasn't easy.
What was the class that you felt was the most difficult?
Gross anatomy. Hands down. I think the vast majority would agree.
Was there anyone who failed a class/failed out? Absolutely. Know a few who failed anatomy. And there are some gone.
and is there anything you would do/study before school starts to prepare?
No. Enjoy your summer.
Thank you so very much!

@samac Thank you so much for your answers! I know this is probably way specific but do you happen to know the attrition rate?

@jpmiz I noticed you were also recently accepted. Have you receieved any information on when and where to get immuunizations and the drug screen?

@samac Thank you. You have been very helpful =) If u have any other suggestions for how to prepare or what to expect I would be glad to hear it.

@jpmiz I noticed you were also recently accepted. Have you receieved any information on when and where to get immuunizations and the drug screen?

@samac Thank you. You have been very helpful =) If u have any other suggestions for how to prepare or what to expect I would be glad to hear it.
I haven't yet. I figured I'd wait till February before emailing to ask about that.

Immunizations are done with your own doctor, they gave us a deadline of March something.

Drug test is done orientation week.

Is anyone interviewing Feb 5 or 6? I will be interviewing on the 5th!

I will be interviewing feb 5th anyone know how full the class is?

I graduated a semester early and have a lot of free time. Any suggestions as to what the first year books are so I could get a basic idea of what my M1 year is gonna be like?