University of Texas CoP Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure about mild and nice this time of year. We have been having an unusually warm winter, it was in the 80s today! But it is usually around 30-40 this time of year, and the forecasters are predicting that we are going to start swiftly moving back towards normal weather in the next several days.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Madmax87, I go to UT. do you?

Nope- I'm a UH student. I would've been going to UT if I'd not moved to Houston. Hopefully I get accepted ha ha- I don't like Houston, and would like to be closer to my family there in the north Austin area.

they're only interviewing 160 this year.

ps i also signed up for the 3pm slot on the 11th :)

Actually, I just spoke with the secretary and was told that roughly 250 interview invitations were sent out.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I just spoke with the secretary and was told that roughly 250 interview invitations were sent out.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

To be exact, 246 interviews were sent out this year.

This question is for the ladies, pant suit or dress? This is Texas so Lord only knows what the weather will be like in Feb. I live in San Marcos & it was in the 70s today so I'm debating on wearing pants or a skirt. Thoughts?

I am wearing a dress. I tried on some suits and I did not feel confident in them. I went shopping over the weekend and bought a very conservative dress from Banana Republic. They have a 25% off EVERYTHING sale going on right now too so it was a great deal!

i know the interview feedback shows some of the typical questions that have been asked in the past but is there somewhere on SDN with good ideas/reasoning to go about answering ethical questions?

i know the interview feedback shows some of the typical questions that have been asked in the past but is there somewhere on SDN with good ideas/reasoning to go about answering ethical questions?

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I assume they judge how you defend your response.

I interview Xavier and all my questions were hypothetical/ethical/situational questions.

I'm wondering if any current students could shed some light on a burning question I've had...

What is the general schedule of the interview day? Should those of us in the later sections arrive in the morning?

about the ethical questions, just be prepared to explain your decision well - be prepared to fend off counterpoints as well just in case.

Some will have tour first, then interview, some the other way around. There is also a powerpoint presentation and a q&a session

I'm wondering if any current students could shed some light on a burning question I've had...

What is the general schedule of the interview day? Should those of us in the later sections arrive in the morning?
No need to arrive in the morning or anything if your interview is in the afternoon. It's all really chill, but do arrive early for your interview time though.

UT Pharmacy sent out an email today with instructions on what to do and what to bring etc. Good luck to everyone who interviews tomorrow and Saturday!

UT Pharmacy sent out an email today with instructions on what to do and what to bring etc. Good luck to everyone who interviews tomorrow and Saturday!

Good luck to P1 interviewees. :)

For those of you who interviewed today, how did it go?
gluck to the rest interviewing tomorrow! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed today, how did it go?
gluck to the rest interviewing tomorrow! :)
It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere, I can't help to get nervous during interviews so I am not really sure how I did, but everyone is really nice. Everything they asked me is in the interview feedback page.

Very relaxed, though I feel I could have answered one question a bit better, no questions really required a working knowledge of pharmacy, bit it doesn't hurt.
Thanks again to all of you current students that took the time out of your busy schedules to assist us!

Last edited:
So I figured I'd post about my interview experience-
I feel my interview went well... They do ask questions, but they aren't anything too difficult. By and large, they are just trying to get a feeling for you as a person, and as a communicator. If they know you have Rx experience, they will throw in an ethical question regarding pharmacy most likely. I have 6+ years tech/management experience, and teaching experience at the collegiate level- So they really made me work on that question... HA HA-
As for the remainder of the questions; they ask about your work ethic and how you manage your time, what you consider to be your best qualities, what drew you to pharmacy, etc. They are looking for compassionate people, so use your experiences to your advantage in that area- empathetic people are the type of individuals they want to accept for sure.
Hope the extra info helps! :)

Since UT doesn't have rolling admission anymore, when will they be sending out all their acceptances?

Anyone else with interview feedback? I'm interviewing next Friday.

I think they said the week before Spring Break, but we'll definitely be hearing back in March.

It may be even before that. Last year, they said acceptances would be sent out Tuesday during spring break. Sure enough, they sent it well before that.

It may be even before that. Last year, they said acceptances would be sent out Tuesday during spring break. Sure enough, they sent it well before that.

Wow, that's early! Was it non-rolling admissions last year as well?

I'm a bit worried about my interview, I had answers for all the questions, but I wanted to ask if my why UT answer was good. I told them about how i was interested in Dr. Gonzales' lab because I am doing something similar at UH. i also said cause it was ranked, but I forgot to tell them the major reasons I wanted to. Should i put those in my thank you card to my interviewer??

I'm a bit worried about my interview, I had answers for all the questions, but I wanted to ask if my why UT answer was good. I told them about how i was interested in Dr. Gonzales' lab because I am doing something similar at UH. i also said cause it was ranked, but I forgot to tell them the major reasons I wanted to. Should i put those in my thank you card to my interviewer??

Do thank you cards earn you brownie points? I always thank my interviewers/pharmacy students/staff for their time at the end.

I said that as well, but i heard its always a nice gesture and makes them remember you.

i also said cause it was ranked, but I forgot to tell them the major reasons I wanted to. Should i put those in my thank you card to my interviewer??

I sent a Thank You card as well but didn't elaborate on any topics from the interview as the process is now closed (as far as I know...)
Best of luck! I'm just glad that there's no looming nervousness about the interview anymore. :)

Yes, it was rolling admissions.

I don't think it was rolling admission last year. I interviewed the very last day of interviews and got accepted during Spring break (first round).

Edit: you probably meant non-rolling. :)

What exactly do the interviewers have about you? I know they have your essays but is that all they have? I know it says somewhere on their website but I can't find it at the moment. Does anyone know off the top of their head?

What exactly do the interviewers have about you? I know they have your essays but is that all they have? I know it says somewhere on their website but I can't find it at the moment. Does anyone know off the top of their head?

All they have about you is your essays. They will not have access to your GPA, PCAT, resume, etc.

So this semester I began working on an undergraduate research project. We're (me and one other person are running the project) characterizing a gene in algae and the enzyme it codes for in the pathway for a (very valuable) pigment used in pharmaceuticals as an anti-oxidant and food coloring. We are fully expecting to be published by the end of the year.
I didn't put this on my resume when I submitted my application, something I'm regretting now.

I've already interviewed, and I'm just counting the days until the adcom meets and starts cranking out decisions. I'm debating whether I should submit an updated resume with the research on it, or if I should just let the chips fall where they may without any mention of it.
I'm half considering emailing Dr. Wilcox and asking him his thoughts.

What do you guys think?

I would email him. He seems like a very easy going guy so I don't think he'd get upset. Its a very legitimate question - this is something very impressive that would help your chances of getting in. I think it's understandable that you would want to ask so I don't see the harm in asking him.

Since UT doesn't have rolling admission anymore, when will they be sending out all their acceptances?

To be precise, Dr. Wilcox told us during our Q&A session that the candidate pile will be broken up into two stacks, which will be done the week before and the week after Spring Break. I'm assuming it's because they don't want to get too behind with regard to their other duties.

Hope this helps! :)

UT thread have only 3 pages :( compared to other Texas school. Where are all the interviewers? I guess this thread would be more crowded in Spring Break week :). Is anyone here interviewed on Feb. 24?

UT thread have only 3 pages :( compared to other Texas school. Where are all the interviewers? I guess this thread would be more crowded in Spring Break week :). Is anyone here interviewed on Feb. 24?

I interviewed the 24th. It was alright. The school was old and depressing, in my own opinion. I was disappointed that a #4 program had such an eye sore school.

I interviewed the 24th. It was alright. The school was old and depressing, in my own opinion. I was disappointed that a #4 program had such an eye sore school.
Well, maybe different people have different feeling then :). I saw you at Texas Tech thread and you said the same thing, lol. The first reason I consider UT over TT because it is nearer Houston :).

Honestly, the Pharmacy building is a bit dingy, but who cares its still #4!:cool:

I am sure if you get in and decide not to go because of the unimpressive building a lot of people would be glad to take your spot. This is one of those pointless arguments, its not like picking between number 4 and 5. If you get depressed while in the building, just go study in another one, UT has a lot of new buildings.

Well I'm not posting but hell I'm checking this thread like crazy to see if anybody has heard back yet. But nothing should be expected at least until next week. I interviewed the 25th.

I don't mind going to an established school with aged facilities. I'm not there for the ambiance, I'm there to become a pharmacist.

I agree that the building is not the greatest. I toured A&M and it was way better but it's also new so yeah it looks awesome. I know UT does the best that it can with what they have but who cares what it looks like? It's still the best program in Texas.

btw I interviewed on the 24th as well.

The only thing that upset me a little was a P1 student thought I was there to teach a class. I know that I'm a little older but I'm not that old (I'm only 26). Besides I know a lot of older people do decide to go back to school and do pharmacy school. But it wasn't upsetting enough to turn me away from the school.

ahhhhhhh! I hate waiting +pissed+

I agree that the building is not the greatest. I toured A&M and it was way better but it's also new so yeah it looks awesome. I know UT does the best that it can with what they have but who cares what it looks like? It's still the best program in Texas.

btw I interviewed on the 24th as well.

The only thing that upset me a little was a P1 student thought I was there to teach a class. I know that I'm a little older but I'm not that old (I'm only 26). Besides I know a lot of older people do decide to go back to school and do pharmacy school. But it wasn't upsetting enough to turn me away from the school.

ahhhhhhh! I hate waiting +pissed+

youre not old at all! i know so many people that have had like 3 or 4 jobs and are in their 30s that came back to school and got into pharmacy school!

I am 27! Glad to know there are more applicants my age out there.:) I have also been checking sdn to see if anyone had heard anything yet...starting to get anxious...I was reading last year's posts and it looks like they started finding out the Friday before SB.

I dont see age is a matter :D. Although I'm pretty young compared to ur post. But I see olders as those who have great exp to learn from, and I have been told that all of them tend to be very concerned and nice to fellow classmates :D

:laugh:
I dont see age is a matter :D. Although I'm pretty young compared to ur post. But I see olders as those who have great exp to learn from, and I have been told that all of them tend to be very concerned and nice to fellow classmates :D

Haha you called us "olders"

:( sorry ... i just mean that you have more years of exp

I am 27! Glad to know there are more applicants my age out there.:) I have also been checking sdn to see if anyone had heard anything yet...starting to get anxious...I was reading last year's posts and it looks like they started finding out the Friday before SB.

I am 29. It seems there is a good mix of students of all ages :) Anyway, at the Q&A session, Dr. Wilcox said they will begin reviewing apps March 7th, and again the week after Spring Break...I'm guessing by the end of this coming week we'll start hearing back...

I am 29. It seems there is a good mix of students of all ages :) Anyway, at the Q&A session, Dr. Wilcox said they will begin reviewing apps March 7th, and again the week after Spring Break...I'm guessing by the end of this coming week we'll start hearing back...

Yeah, I wanna hear regardless of what it is. putting out deposits for other schools is definitely not cool but so necessary. i wake up every morning thinking UT take me! and check my phone with every beep even though i know it is too early. LOL! I guess I am Insane, i keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.:eek:

Yeah, I wanna hear regardless of what it is. putting out deposits for other schools is definitely not cool but so necessary. i wake up every morning thinking UT take me! and check my phone with every beep even though i know it is too early. LOL! I guess I am Insane, i keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.:eek:

I know exactly how you feel. At least UT's deposit is nominal compared to other schools. Also, age does not matter at all.

For last year's class, some people have gotten in with M.S.. and Ph.D degrees and many non-traditionals as well. Age = experience :)